“I enjoyed my stay”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Big Corn Island
Atlanta, Georgia
“I enjoyed my stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2009

I stayed at La Princessa de la Isla for about a week during the last week of April 2009 and enjoyed myself. I'm an easy-going, slow-paced, island type of traveler, so while I certainly don't want poor accommodations, I don't expect a Hilton-caliber hotel on an "off the beaten path" island in a developing nation. As a matter of fact, I find a particular appeal in rustic accommodations.

The Good:

-The hotel had a driver waiting at the airport, and the transportation cost me only tip. Again, I'm not the "I demand a driver" type, but after three separate plane flights to get to this island, it was nice that the hotel made it as easy as possible to get to my destination so that I could get on with my vacation.

-The owners are awesome, approachable, and service-oriented. I sat with the husband many times and had various chats (the wife doesn't speak English). Also, they definitely made every effort to ensure that I enjoyed my stay.

-The property was quiet. Various sets of couples and families stayed there during the time that I did. Some I spoke to and some I did not, but everyone was pleasant.

-The property has wifi though the owner turns it off during the late night.

-There is snorkeling directly in front of the property. The snorkeling is good -- great -- but it IS right there.

-The view in front of the property is also beautiful and peaceful.

-The rooms are clean though rustic.

-Italian meals -- including wine -- are available right there on the property.

-The property is secluded which add to the air of peace.

The Bad:

-The property is secluded which makes it trifling to get to, especially at night. You either walk along the beach from town or take a taxi. Depending on the taxi, they may refuse to take you all the way to the hotel. For that reason, I STRONGLY ADVISE THAT SOLO FEMALE TRAVELERS NOT STAY AT THIS PROPERTY.

-No A/C. This wasn't a problem for me. The fan in the room was more than adequate, and being beside the ocean, it was never too hot...even during the day; however, there is a similarly-priced hotel two beaches to the south which does have A/C as well as an accommodation right next door to the other hotel which is not listed on Tripadvisor but that has A/C and is cheaper than both La Princessa and the other hotel.

- The bathrooms are particularly rustic and there is no hot water. They aren't BAD rustic...just rustic.

- The wine sucked! (at least the bottle that I ordered...I usually purchase the second cheapest cab on the menu...don't ask...) I'm by no means a wine snob and the owners are Italian, so I was surprised at how much I didn't like the taste of the wine that I'd purchased there.

The Bottom Line:

Would I stay there again? Yes.
Did I enjoy my stay? Yes.
Would I recommend La Princessa to others? Yes.

I just want to make sure that you're looking for the type of experience that La Princessa offers.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank fyvekatz

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2009

We went to Big Corn Island with big hopes. Maybe that was our mistake. La Princesa was rated #2 on the Island and we decided to go for it. When we got there, the property was nice enough, but the rooms, while large, were VERY rustic. The bathroom was almost scary because it's built with coral and rocks and the shower...well, we didn't even use it. It does't look very clean (how do you clean rocks?) and the shower head was a conch shell with holes drilled in. The water kind of dribbles out...

There isn't a restaurant here, however the lady of the house will make you an authentic Italian dinner, but you have to give them 3-4 hours notice. We didn't eat there, but other guests said the food was worth the $22 for pasta. Oh and if you want beer or water, you have to bother the keepers to get it for you...bit of a pain.

They could only accomodate us for 2 nights, but I think it was really a blessing. We were definitely left wanting more.

Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank yvrgirl69
Hic-manebimus-optime, proprietario at La Princesa de la Isla, responded to this review, 11 May 2009
Hello, Alessandro Lenner is writing.
I'm the owner of Princesa de la Isla and I would like to answer to a guest who was in April in our place.

First, as we say in our web site, I and my family run by ourselves the structure. It means that we are totally different compared the traditional hotels.
In fact, we offer our home to the guests and we are not usual to press them asking every 5 minutes if they wish something. When they desire something it is enough to ask us and we try to satisfy them (for a drink or for info about the island or simply to talk).

When we started our activity we avoided to create a traditional hotel, bar or restaurant, but we decided to offer a place where visitors can enjoy an informal and kind way to stay on vacation. For that reason we offer to our guests the freedom to choose what they want do.

About the cost for a meal it is very strange that someone has paid for a plate of pasta $ 22, in fact an our meal includes a pasta course, a second plate (fish or chicken or shrimps or lobster) with vegetables and a cake. The cost of this kind of meal is from $ 16 to $ 22. The price are indicated in every room where it is possible to find a menu with all the offered services and their cost.

Last but not least the cleanliness of our rooms and bathrooms. Regularity we clean corals and stones with a machine that clean with hot and compressed water.

Kind regards
Alessandro Lenner
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2009

La Princesa is really charming place. Room was basic, but you cannot beat the location! It is a bit remote, and Alessandro can always arrange car for your needs. Alessandro and Catarina great hosts. Food was fantastic! Missing them already and hope to be back soon.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2008

the owners are super nice and friendly....so helpful and accommodating. the italian food they cook is out of this world! but you have to order several hours in advance. it was so good we ate there every night...the service is awesome and we were able to really relax.
the only thing that wasn't so great is the rooms have a little deferred maintenance.....our roof leaked a little......
and there's no hot water and lots of mosquitoes....they've got mosquito coils and nets on the bed...but bring your bug spray!
and the nearby beaches more litter than i expected which could easily be taken care of with a daily clean up....
but the food made it worth it all! and if you go fishing they'll even cook up your catch for you!

• Liked — the food
  • Disliked — it was inconvenient to get to after dark....only a few taxis can handle the dirt road
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2008

Whatever one might quibble about needs to be placed against a few major points: 1) They have the BEST FOOD I ate in Nicaragua: incredible fish, just-caught barracuda ceviche, homemade fettucine, etc...2) (Well, this should really be #1) They have a CORAL REEF right in front; you can wake up at 6 AM and jump in with your snorkel and fins and rock out. 3) Costanza is the sweetest hostess, and will do everything possible to make you feel at home. Drawbacks? Mosquitos. But I'm sure this would be the same anywhere on the island, and they do have netting and coils here. But I still have to mention them, because they never bothered me in either Belize or Costa Rica, or elsewhere in Nicaragua. So you might want to keep that in mind. The grounds are a fanciful combination of an Italian aesthetic confronting this unique island dream. I loved all of the crazy little details: piles of dried - out white sand dollars, primitive paintings, the stone bathroom, etc. And I loved how Costanza kept referring to the "matrimonial bed" in her description of my room. Well...not this time. But I wouldn't marry ANYONE who wouldn't appreciate this place and this island!

• Liked — EVERYTHING...except the following
  • Disliked — mosquitoes
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank colonyantman
Gardendale, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2008

We spent two nights at La Princesa. Costanza was a very gracious hostess who willingly answered all of our questions and arranged for transportation from the airport and around the island for us. While we were there, we had running cold water and electricity the entire time. The showers, rooms, and other faciliities are very complementary to the island environment. Linens and mosquito nets are provided. The beds were firm, the rooms were clean, and the food was delicious. Be sure to give them several hours notice if you plan to eat dinner there so that they can prepare. There is Internet access available at the hotel. Although La Princesa is walking distance to town and 3 beaches (in addition to the one in front of the property), it is still a very quiet and relaxing environment.

• Stayed July 2008
3 Thank AlaGal
Los Angeles Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2008

La Princesa is a beautiful, warm and welcoming retreat by the sea. Alesandro and his lovely wife have provided for a fully peacefull location built of natural materials and providing only the sounds of nature. The ocean breeze blows through the well appointed bungalows, lulling you to sleep safe from the mosquitos. The food is fantastic. Truely the best Italian cooking We've had outside of Italy...ok...we've never been to Italy but the food was better than any of the many Italian restaurants we enjoy in New York, Los Angels, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and San Francisco.

And they make a fine capuccino in the morning!

This is a truely magical spot. A place to wash away your cares and worries and relax with a good book, scratch a sweet puppy or two, take a dip in the warm waters, and give a big sigh of relief. Bliss. Peter and Alexandra will definitly be returning again and again.

• Liked — The warm and welcoming atmosphere, and the beatutifully appointed bungalows
  • Disliked — Access is a little tricky...but it's just a drive down a dirt road and a walk accross a beach...not so bad.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Arenas Beach Hotel
Arenas Beach Hotel
#4 of 7 in Big Corn Island
Las Palmeras Beachfront Boutique Hotel
Las Palmeras Beachfront Boutique...
#4 of 7 in Little Corn Island
Sunshine Hotel
Sunshine Hotel
#3 of 7 in Little Corn Island

Been to La Princesa de la Isla? Share your experiences!