“Good times!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
California
“Good times!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

This place is about as high end as Little Corn gets. You do pay more for the "polished" nature of the place, but the location is incredible, and after long travel days to get there...it's nice to have a beautiful and clean place to crash.

It's an easy 5 minute walk to the main "village", and you have your choice of a couple of routes to take for variety.

We stayed in the "bunkhouse" which is behind the main casitas (they are beachfront), as it was more within out price range. It was fine, had the ocean breeze filtering in anyway, and had a nice comfy bed. It is located right next to the "utility" building at which all the washing, cleaning, etc for the resort gets done. So it was a bit noisy sometimes, and the smell of cleaning solvents was present fairly often. But this was mainly during the day, and what the heck would we want to be inside for during the day?!

We ate a few meals here at the turned turtle cafe, but found them just fair. The fish they were serving was not locally caught, which struck me as odd...as they are surrounded by water. Prices were on the high side, and sides were a steamed vegetable medly...from a bag like we get here in the USA. I don't like it here, and I had hoped for something more there, though I understand that fruits and veggies are hard to come by on Little Corn. I guess for the price, I'd just have expected the extra effort.

We didn't feel that the owners were "uptight", just well organized. They run a nice place and it shows.

Overall, the place was clean, well run, and in a great location.

2 Thank Adam A
noplansnoreserve, Manager at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
We are very happy that our guest enjoyed their stay with us.

We very much appreciate when a guest will take the time to share not only the good things about our hotel, but also in a positive way help us look at the things we can improve upon.

To that end . . . the Bunkhouse accommodations are significantly lower in price than our beach front cabins. There are a few reasons for this: garden location, shared bathroom, no hot shower and yes . . . one of them is close to the laundry wash area. We are constantly working with our staff to help them appreciate how their actions can affect a guests experience. With this feed back we are going to continue helping them understand that noise or the excessive use of detergents etc. can negatively impact our guest experience.

The Turned Turtle restaurant actually does use some frozen bagged vegetables. Contrary to what some would believe, fresh fruits and vegetables are rare on the island (except during certain brief prime seasons on the island). This means that all most all of these food stuffs must be brought from the mainland via truck, then ocean freighter and entailing an almost 7 day journey.

But, we also steam fresh vegetables, offer spinach, fresh steamed brocolli with hollandaise sauce and fresh soups. The bagged veggies are a back up to limited supply and used as an addition to certain fresh vegetable dishes.

Our fish IS locally caught (we are not sure where this guest got the idea that it is not?). Because the local fisherman are not very reliable, we soon learned that if we wanted to offer fresh fish on a consistent basis (we feel that consitency is one of the hall marks of a quality restaurant) we had to procure a more reliable source. Our fish is actually brought from Big Corn Island and purchased at the local business that buys fish from all the local fisherman. This allows us to ALWAYS offer every item listed on the menu.

Thanks for letting us share this information with you.

Safe Travels!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

These folks really have done a great job in making a well-managed, detailed to comfort (as best as could be expected in the locale) bungalow operation in a remote island. We stayed at a Gulliver suite. Over the past 25 years, we have stayed at remote bungalow operations throughout SE Asia and Caribbean...dozens if not nearing a hundred establishments. This place, granted now that we have money to afford this quality, is one of our favorites. The best of LCBB: pina colada (really the best ever with roasted coconut), very attentive and friendly service, multiple fans, feet rinsing container at bungalow steps, very clean, and many other great impressions. It is a very challenging accomplishment to make this level of quality in a remote location. They have done a great job.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank OMJJ
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

First, I'd like to say I thought LCBB's website was extremely informative in letting me know what to expect when visiting Little Corn Island. I was fully prepared for the panga ride (even had trash bags for my luggage) and it wasn't bad at all. I didn't get wet arriving or departing but I talked to some fellow passengers on the ride back who'd had a pretty rough ride on the way out so I guess it depends on the day. When I arrived at the dock on Little Corn, there was someone from the hotel there to meet me with a wheelbarrow for my luggage to make the walk across the island. It was about a 15-minute walk along a wooded path but when we emerged onto the beach on the other side of the island I was immediately charmed by the grounds of LCBB. I had booked the Master Suite Crusoe bungalow because it had a generator which allowed the fans to run for a few more hours after the power goes off at 5am every morning. I thought the lack of power might be an issue for me but I was wrong. In fact, the two fans in my bungalow were so powerful that I often turned them down during the night so I could better hear the ocean. The bungalow itself was lovely. The bed was comfortable with effective mosquito netting and the decor and furnishings were just perfect for a beachside bungalow. The hotel's beachfront was perfectly-maintained and I enjoyed walking end to end on that side of the island and checking out all of the beaches. There are lots of shaded chairs and hammocks on the property so there were plenty of places to relax with a book. I brought bug spray and used it and never had any issues with the insects. I especially enjoyed the Turned Turtle restaurant. The food was excellent and very reasonably-priced. I had some delicious grilled seafood for dinner and breakfast was terrific, too. The only thing that could have made my stay better was if the wifi had been working. Unfortunately it's been down for several weeks & they are still looking at options to resume the service (the options are limited on the island, apparently). So, that meant walking into town to communicate with the outside world. Not the end of the world, but certainly would have been more convenient to have access in my room or at the restaurant. But aside from that, a thoroughly enjoyable stay at LCBB!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank RTWin30days
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

Really liked this place. From the first person we met (Bobby?) to the amiable guests, it had a very nice feel.

The food is excellent.

The rooms are great.

The location is good, with a nice beach but it's a 15 min walk to the main bars/restaurants.

I work in travel and stay in a LOT of places and these guys certainly have their act together.

It's a little pricey but there you go - you get what you pay for I guess. It's all relative.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank worldwidewroey
noplansnoreserve, Manager at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this review, 26 August 2012
We want to thank "worldwidewroey" for his generous praise of our little hotel. We have passed on his kind comments to "Bobby" and the rest of our hard working staff.

We realize that "cheap" is a relative term so we thought we might share with everyone where our prices are so that you can decide "cheaps" personal relevance for you.

Our cabin prices start at $30us. Breakfast prices $2.99, lunch $4.00 and our generous 4 course dinners that include appetizer, soup or salad, veggies with the main course and dessert start at only $9. Our food while relatively "cheap" typically gets very good reviews from patrons and guests (witness this reviewers comments about our food).

Relative for us is that all of our food, beverages, cabin conveniences and comforts are either brought all the way from Managua via truck, boat and a one week journey, or our imported by us direct from the United States which entails a 2 to 3 month process and a ton of import taxes and shipping costs.

We hope this information sheds a little light on what things actually cost at our hotel and on Little Corn in general so that you can decide for yourself the relevance of "cheap".

Safe travels to all!
Galena, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

We spent ten days at LCBB in July 2012 to celebrate our 20th anniversary and had a wonderful time.

THE GROUNDS: The bungalows are on a white sand beach, very close to the water, and tucked under trees including palms with coconuts and other leafy varieties that provide some protection from the sun. All of the sand on the property is kept extremely clean and well-groomed--tended daily. The place is really pretty. There are plenty of comfortable hammocks, seats, and covered tables where you can relax and have food or a drink. Going swimming is a pleasure. When you walk into the water it gets gradually deeper and the sand is clean with very few weeds.

THE BUNGALOWS: The bungalows are close together, but they are staggered so you don't feel crowded. We stayed in the largest style bungalow which has a king-sized bed and a loft with another bed, that we didn't use. The bungalows are extremely clean and very attractive. They each have large french doors at the entryway which we kept open most of the time to let in the breeze. The bathroom was large and comfortable with a nice open shower. The floor of the bungalow was made of large wooden planks that had a space between them so you could see the sand below. I really liked that. The three windows have some sort of wire over them so that no one can come through. They also can be closed completely if it is raining.

THE RESTAURANT: We had elected to take the Dining and Activity package so ate a lot of meals at the Turned Turtle Restaurant. It is a small place in the center of the 7 or so bungalows they have. It has 5 tables in the immediate area or you can eat at tables on the beach. The food was fantastic with very generous portions. The menu has a lot of choices for each meal. At the end of our ten day stay some of the appetizers, salads and desserts were feeling a bit repetitive as they seem to have three choices that they cycle through. All were very good, though. We tried all of their fancier drinks and really enjoyed them, especially the pina colada. We also drank a lot of fruit juices since they were included in our dining package. They were canned but very tasty.

THE SERVICE: The restaurant/bar also serves as command central so we would go there to get beach towels, ask a question, and check in or out. The staff was always friendly and helpful. We spoke several times with the owners, who were also warm and welcoming.

I had done a lot of research on the island and this resort and read all the warnings about the primitive nature of the place and had some concerns going in.

WOULD I BE TOSSING AND TURNING ALL NIGHT WITH NO A/C? This turned out to be a complete non-issue. The east side of the island has a constant breeze--more like a stiff wind the whole time we were there--and inside and out of the bungalow was perfect, temperature-wise. We slept with the windows open and a fan on and never felt too warm. However, if you leave the east side of the island and venture into the jungle or to the village side of the island, that breeze disappears and the humidity sets in.

I WILL BE EATEN ALIVE BY BUGS! Again a non-issue.The bed has mosquito netting over it and we were careful about keeping it tucked in, but it seemed like it wouldn't have mattered if it wasn't there. During our ten days in the cabin we saw little in the way of bug-life. There was a tiny spider in the bathroom one day. Another day, there was a very large beetle thing walking up toward the ceiling and then it disappeared. If a bit of food was left on the table, it would soon be swarming with teeny little speck-like bugs. They also seemed to be attracted to the bathroom sink. They were more interesting than gross. We also saw a couple of lizard things in the room, but they were cute. Walking through the jungle there were more mosquitoes but even there they weren't that bad. There were biting ants that got on my feet if I stood too long in the wrong spot in sandles. Also in the jungle there were some really big spiders that I could have done without seeing.

THERE IS NO ELECTRICITY DURING THE DAY AND THAT WILL BE A PAIN! Not an issue.We charged up whatever needed charging during the night. Didn't need any lights during the day. There were no issues with spotty electricity when we were there.

THE INTERNET AT LCBB MIGHT BE SPOTTY MAKING IT REALLY HARD TO CHECK IN WITH MY CHILDREN. This turned out to be a huge problem as there was no internet at LCBB while we were there--some problem with their provider. Internet was something we had really been counting on, even if it is was slow and spotty--and not having it was a big disappointment, but not the end of the world. It meant we had to walk to the village and spend money at a different restaurant and use their internet.

It is clear that the folks at LCBB are trying to provide an extremely high level of service, comfort and cleanliness in a very challenging setting. In our opinion, they are succeeding. We felt pampered and cared for during our stay and definitely recommend LCBB. Hope to return soon!

5 Thank Tracy J
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

The view (and location) are certainly worth the trek. The bungalow - which was right on the beach - was spacious and clean. The staff was extremely friendly and attentive. And the food was decent, considering the nearest supplies are a boat ride away at Big Corn.

If you're looking to enjoy a good book, spend some alone time with whoever you make it out with, all while having an incredible view. I really recommend LCBB. Otherwise, there's not much to do on the island aside from diving and some (deep water) snorkeling.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank au30
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

Couldn't have asked for a more perfect 10 days. Great place, beautiful location, attentive staff, and overall friendly environment. I definitely recommend the 'dining and activity' package - ended up being a really good deal (>$100). We just got home and are already planning our next trip to LCBB!

3 Thank Jan L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Corn Island
Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa
Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa
#2 of 7 in Little Corn Island
Las Palmeras Beachfront Boutique Hotel
Las Palmeras Beachfront Boutique...
#4 of 7 in Little Corn Island
#4 of 7 in Big Corn Island
Hotel Bellavista
Hotel Bellavista
#6 of 7 in Big Corn Island

Been to Little Corn Beach and Bungalow? Share your experiences!