“The Restaurant IS Amazing!”

Little Corn Beach and Bungalow
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Managua, Nicaragua
“The Restaurant IS Amazing!”
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Hello, I just read the review below that was not too kind about the Restaurant at LCBB and just felt I had to drop a quick note to say that I have stayed at LCBB and dined at the Turned Turtle Restaurant 3 times and had 9 dinners, 9 lunches and 9 breakfasts there (at least) and have ABSOLUTELY loved every single meal - the food is the best I have had in Nicaragua and really is not at all overpriced considering you are eating...on an island... :-). The staff is fantastic, the beef the best available in the country and the drinks are just delicious - the best is the atmosphere, being right on the beach - seeing the starts, listening to the waves, its pretty fantastic. I'd hopped on trip advisor to send the link along to my family who will be visiting in February. I am planning trip 4 back to LCBB and can't wait for some tasty meals!
Thanks so much!

I must also say, since I've seen so many comparisons to Casa Iguana, that I have eaten there and stayed one night at Casa Iguana when LCBB was booked last February and it just doesn't compare, the cabins are not as nice and the food isn't great, yes Iguana is a great spot and has fantastic views, but its more of a backpackers type spot, if you want a little taste of luxury on Little Corn, you must go to LCBB!

Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank kmmmdx
noplansnoreserve, Manager at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this review, 14 December 2012
Thank you Katie for your generous review. We look forward to seeing you and your family on the island again soon. We are amazed at how many of our guests return to see us again and we are very grateful when they do!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Colden, New York
Reviewed 4 December 2012

On a scale of 1 to 10, we give this place a 10, possibly 11. This is one of the few places that we have traveled to (and we have been to over 30 countries) that is a must to return to.

Overall Impression: For giggles, I read some of the less than flattering reviews of LCBB on this website. Honestly, I don’t know what some people expect. Certainly, if you are looking for someone to serve you umbrella drinks around a pool, do not come here. If you are interested in drunken revelry or non-stop activities, go to Club Med. If you truly want to get away from it all yet still enjoy amenities, go to Little Corn. My wife runs a B&B, and we have learned that some people are impossible to please no matter how hard you try. One would have to be a “special” person to not enjoy LCBB.

Owners: I give Scot and Kristine the highest grades. Not only have they created a truly wonderful place to visit, they have embraced Little Corn Island and made it a better place. They have spearheaded island cleanup efforts; they started an annual veterinary clinic to spay and neuter island dogs and cats; they have organized a reading library for island children.

Staff: One of Scot and Kristine’s greatest accomplishments. The staff took great pride in their jobs and seemed genuinely happy working at LCBB. Virtually the entire staff referred to us as “Mr. William”, “Miss Melanie”, and “Mr. Theodore”. Service was always with a smile and with our comfort foremost in their minds.

Accommodations: As we were just finishing a volunteer project in Managua, we opted for the largest bungalow for the three of us, Gulliver. It was wonderful. A spacious cabin with a loft for my son, it had three fans, a nice sized shower, and the most comfortable bed we had in Nicaragua. Caution: electricity and internet are not 24/7, nor is hot water. Also remember that the entire island has a fragile infrastructure; there are limitations on what can be flushed down the toilet.

Food: Scot used to work as a chef. The food is beyond superb. If you cannot find something you like on the menu, well…… Every morning, a tray of coffee, milk and sugar is left on your bungalow deck. Breakfast options included eggs Benedict, coconut French Toast, coconut pancakes, and various omelettes. Dinner options included Parmesan crusted fish, penne pasta with white wine sauce and seafood, baby back ribs, and filet.

Getting There: This may not always be for the faint of heart. However, if you truly believe that getting there is half the fun, then you will enjoy getting to LCBB. Our “larger” twin engine prop plane on La Costena Airlines had to be taken out of service (after we had already boarded). Within 20 minutes, they put all the passengers onto two single engine Cessnas to Corn Island. From there it is (supposedly) a 30 minute panga (boat) ride to Little Corn. Of course, it took about 50 minutes as we were heading directly into 18-20 foot seas. Please take my word for it – when the panga staff recommends putting EVERYTHING into plastic bags, follow their advice. I did not, and my Blackberry and camera “drowned” in my pocket during the crossing.

When To Go: There are two answers to this. First, go now. By this I mean that it is my best guess that sometime during my lifetime, Little Corn will begin to lose its charm. It is only a matter of time before the island begins being developed more seriously. Other than that, while we loved our 4 day stay, we “lost” a portion of it as it is the rainy season.

Value: We thought the place was a bargain.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BfloBillW
noplansnoreserve, Manager at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
Everyone at our resort is very happy when our guests are very happy. Thank you for staying with us and taking time to share your generous comments. Hope to see you again soon.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 December 2012

My girlfriend and I flew to the Corn Islands over Thanksgiving for a dive trip, and we decided to book with LCBB after a few conversations via email. The pictures over the internet seemed pretty unreal, and we were very excited to get there. LCBB told us they were all booked for their beach side suites, but they had one room with a king and a twin and another rooom with (I think) several double beds. We decided to book the room with the king and twin, which turned out to be a very bad mistake.

When we arrived at LCBB, we were taken back because the grounds, though small, are pretty with beach side tables under thatched roofs and several hammocks strung between trees in front of the beach side suites. One of the owners greeted us and sat down with us to give some "insight" on the island. After the talk, we were both somewhat nervous about walking around the island, which we later learned was absolutely foolish. That night we ended up getting lost trying to find town and luckily ended up hanging out at Casa Iguana which is about a 10 to 15 min walk south of LCBB. We had a great time at Casa Iguana!

The next day the owner asked if we had "riled up the locals", which in my opinion came off extremely rude. They informed us their security guard had to run off 3 men who were "sneaking" around trying to open up doors. Later the owners told us they were asking around town about us and the incident and found out the girls staying next to us at LCBB had brought the guys back that night. I don't know about you, but It creeped me out thinking my host was asking around town about us. In the end, I still wonder if they tried to scare us to keep us from leaving LCBB. To top it all off, the last day I caught a small 24 hour bug and when my girlfriend asked the owner if he knew, or had anything, that could help me, he responded, "I can't cure a hangover" rather than offer any medicine they might have on site. To insinuate I am an alcoholic on my vacation was definitely a slap in the face.

Our accommodations at LCBB ended up being all the way in the back next to the swamp and laundry house that sits behind LCBB. The bathroom was shared with the unit adjacent to us. This was pretty annoying because we had sent an email, prior to flying out to Nicaragua, asking if the room was shared accommodations. We never received a response. Although the overall experience was not the best, the staff was super friendly and helped make the experience more enjoyable.

Thanks to Casa Iguana we ended up really enjoying ourselves. The two girls and guy running the show at Casa Iguana were super nice and personable. The owner of Casa Iguana was also the owner of Little Corn Dive shop, so we got the whole run down on all the dive spots around the island. Plus they make a killer Basilito (kind of like a mojitio but with basil)! Thanks to that first evening we spent at Casa Iguana we weren't so worried about the island anymore, and over the next 4 days got to explore the entire island and have a great time.

I highly doubt that I will stay at LCBB the next time I go to Little Corn Island.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is beach side if you stay here.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David R
noplansnoreserve, Manager at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
As always, we are very committed to our guests and their experience at our resort and on Little Corn Island.

We are very concerned when one of our valued clients end up having a feeling of being let down by our hotel, restaurant, service or island experience in general. We apologize to David and his girlfriend for their perceptively bad experience here.

We are very thankful for his kind words about our hard working staff. We appreciate the comments and our staff and will pass his thoughts along to them.

In fairness though, we would like to address some of the inaccuracies in their review. We have also sent a polite email to them hoping for a productive interchange.

David:
“. . . but they had one room with a king and a twin and another rooom with (I think) several double beds. We decided to book the room with the king and twin, which turned out to be a very bad mistake.”

LCBB:
As we look back through the string of reservation emails we did tell them that we were booked accept for our economy accommodations. At no time (nor on our website) did we imply or indicate that there was a “king” bed in this accommodation. We were very clear as a matter of fact that the cabin had a “single and a double bed” and a “shared bathroom”. The website describes the location of the cabin as not on the beach but in the garden.

David:
“One of the owners greeted us and sat down with us to give some "insight" on the island. After the talk, we were both somewhat nervous about walking around the island, which we later learned was absolutely foolish.”

LCBB:
Normally, as we state in all of our emails and on our site, we meet our guests when they arrive on the 10 or 4:30 panga. These folks for whatever reason arrived on a different boat and we did not have the opportunity to meet them. The person though that did bring them to our resort is a notorious light fingered individual who has an extensive history of petty crime on Little Corn targeting tourists. We decided long ago to error on the side of guest safety regardless of the consequence and felt that we owed it to our guest to share what we knew about their escort. We did not intend to scare them, only to arm them with knowledge so they could make more informed decisions. We encouraged them to be careful.

David:
"The next day the owner asked if we had "riled up the locals", which in my opinion came off extremely rude. They informed us their security guard had to run off 3 men who were "sneaking" around trying to open up doors. Later the owners told us they were asking around town about us and the incident and found out the girls staying next to us at LCBB had brought the guys back that night. I don't know about you, but It creeped me out thinking my host was asking around town about us. In the end, I still wonder if they tried to scare us to keep us from leaving LCBB".

LCBB:
The evening in question we had our first ever in three years incident with drunk people rattling cabin doors “looking” for someone at 2AM. Our night watchmen dispatched them as they turned out not to be guests. Since David and his girlfriend had arrived with the aforementioned person we thought it was reasonable to ask him if they perhaps were aware of what had happened. We were merely trying to figure out what had happened, who had done it so we could prevent any future recurrence. We DID NOT ask “around the town” in any way, shape or form about our guests. We were trying to put our guests safety first as we had two frightened single female guests because of the incident. We have not actually been to the village in over 6 weeks, nor did we go to the village in relation to this incident to "ask around town". Our guests activities are their business and we respect their privacy. We never asked it they, "riled up the locals".

David:
“To top it all off, the last day I caught a small 24 hour bug and when my girlfriend asked the owner if he knew, or had anything, that could help me, he responded, "I can't cure a hangover" rather than offer any medicine they might have on site. To insinuate I am an alcoholic on my vacation was definitely a slap in the face.”

LCBB:
We recall the conversation a little differently. We know David had been having a rough night with vomitting as the people who shared the bathrooom with them had approached us early and ask for a early cleaning of the bathroom because he had been "throwing up all night" according to these guests. We were then approached at the bar by his girlfriend with the question, “Do you know of any island cures for vomiting?” We replied that we did not know of any that worked but there had been a pretty virulent stomach flu going around the island and maybe that was what he was experiencing. We apologized for not having any medication on hand and suggested the most likely store on the village side to have medication for his symptoms. This store is indicated on a map of the island above our bar which also points out other restaurants and hotels around the island.

We are happy when our guests have fun and sad when they are sick. Even had it been that David was sick from enjoying a few to many drinks, in no way would we judge him or any guest as an alcoholic as they are on vacation (how would we know or why would we care about someones personal and private choices).

We felt sorry for David and gave them a late check out so they could spend more time in the cabin. We also provided a second departure for the dock because of his condition.

David:
“Our accommodations at LCBB ended up being all the way in the back next to the swamp and laundry house that sits behind LCBB. The bathroom was shared with the unit adjacent to us. This was pretty annoying because we had sent an email, prior to flying out to Nicaragua, asking if the room was shared accommodations. We never received a response.”

LCBB:
These guests were on the island during the rainiest part of the year. While the swamp is actually about 300 meters away from the cabin, due to very heavy rains, water does sometimes pool in the low spots around some cabins, the Bunkhouses included. In reservation emails with these guests we clearly shared the details of the type of accommodation that are the Bunkhouses. The string of emails with David (we actually corresponded to his girlfriend the whole time) DID answer the question about "shared accommodations".

We will double check but we think that our website is pretty clear about the basic nature of the BH cabins. We might note too that the BH cabins are priced at less than half of the beachfront Crusoe cabins for the fact that they are a bit more egalitarian.

David:
“Although he overall experience was not the best, the staff was super friendly and helped make the experience more enjoyable.”

LCBB:
As we mentioned before, we thank David for his kind words about our hard working staff. We are very proud of each and every one of them.

As always, we urge all of our guests to carefully peruse our website for accurate descriptions of our cabins, food, prices and conditions on the island.

We are always sad when people have a disappointing experience when they stay with us and wish that we could have done a better job for David and his girlfriend.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2012

The setup is great here, right on the beach looking out over the Caribbean Sea with cool wooden huts and a very “no shoes” approach to everything. The food was excellent, the staff friendly and the rooms very well designed.

The only gripe was the price...yes it was very smart, well run and on a desert island in the middle of nowhere but it still just seemed a little pricey. If you’re happy to pay, then you can’t really fault this place

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JamesF_London
noplansnoreserve, Manager at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
We thank James from London for his kind review of our food, accommodations, service and location. We thank him for his kind comments about our staff, they are the BEST! Hopefully, he will come back to see us again.

Please visit our website for our menu which describes our pricing which we are constantly striving to be as competitive as possible. Our breakfast menu starts at 2.99 US, lunch menu at 4.50 US, snacks at 3 US and dinner (all of which are four courses including appetizer, salad or soup, main course with vegetables and dessert) start at only 9 US.

Important things to keep in mind is that of ALL the restaurants offering a varied menu similar to ours on Little Corn are in more easily reached locations. Almost all of the food we offer must be imported on a 5 to 7 day journey from Managua which increases our costs dramatically!

We are sorry that our prices stood out for James as high as we are constantly working on providing the best possible food value and service.

Also, we try to offer significantly more comfortable accommodation than some of the other hotels on the island at prices that start at only $30/nt (our isolated location mean that our costs are slightly higher).

We always review advice such as Jame's to increase the value of our resort for travellers that are looking for the best possible place to stay and the fairest of prices.

Again, we thank James for taking the time to offer his generous words and us the opportunity to discuss our prices.

Safe travels to all.
Reviewed 25 November 2012

We spent 3 days in mid-November at LCBB. The staff are wonderful, the food and drinks are great and the location is paradise. Lots of hammocks to relax in, the bungalows are beautiful using natural and recycled materials. It was hard to leave. Be sure that you bring a large garbage bag for your trip on the panga from Big Corn and be prepared to get wet. You should have all belongings including money, cellphone, camera, etc. in a sealed plastic bag as salt water laden things do not dry or work well. I suggest wearing your bathing suit with shorts/t-shirt and flip flops for the trip over. The trip from the Big Corn airport to the wharf in Briggs Bay is easy by taxi and the men at the wharf are anxious to make money by selling you plastic bags and securing you a back seat on the panga. The back seat is less bumpy but wetter by far. All in all a trip to Little Corn Beach and Bunglow is well worth the excitement of getting there! Mid-November is still the low season and we had a day of clouds and heavy intermittent rain, lots of wind but it was warm in contrast to the northeast US.

Room Tip: We had the master gulliver for 3 - a couple and our son.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank rdj248
We feel GREAT when our guests feel GREAT! Thank you for the kind words about our food and accommodations. This is very good advice for your panga ride too! To get all sorts of insight on what you can expect on LCI see our FAQs page on our website. We will pass your comments on to our incredible staff.
Kimberley, Canada
Reviewed 18 November 2012 via mobile

Christina and Scott are doing such a great job with this place. The staff here are amazing, the owners have spent a lot of time training them and put a lot of effort into giving their staff skills they can take elsewhere if thy choose to leave their island home. They have all local Nicaraguan staff, which is awesome. There is a lot of thought put into making as little a dent in the island's ecosystem as possible. They support the local reading programs, help the furry creatures on the island with vet services. Not to mention this place is top notch! The restaurant is amazing, the rooms ae fabulous. Book early so you avoid what happened to us, we only got two nights and had to move to casa iguana which didn't hold a candle to this place.

• Stayed November 2012
We appreciate our fine staff very much and are very gratified when their hard work pays off for our guests. We are especially proud of our hard working kitchen staff really take pride in the quality of food they prepare daily. As always, we are thankful that these nice folks liked the time they spent with us and took a moment to share their experience with all of you!
Playa Conchal, Costa Rica
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Having been disappointed with other accommodation options on the island, we finally found what we were looking for at this truly excellent property. Beautiful wooden cabinas, steps from the beach, built with a worthy environmental policy using recycled materials and a rainwater collection system. There's also a generator to provide extra power when necessary. Lovely staff, good management and a great restaurant on site providing good value, tasty and interesting 4-course dinners, also great breakfast and lunch menus, wine list and cocktails. Loved the hammocks and the ocean breeze, and I can't wait to return. In a higher price range than other accommodation but if you're looking for a romantic, peaceful, idyllic island getaway it's really worth spending the extra.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
#5 of 7 in Little Corn Island
Hotel Morgan
Hotel Morgan
#6 of 7 in Big Corn Island

Been to Little Corn Beach and Bungalow? Share your experiences!