“Just what we wanted and NEEDED!!”

Little Corn Beach and Bungalow
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 5 November 2010

My husband and I found our personal vacation paradise here at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow. Our bungalow was right on the beach with a clean bathroom, hot shower and a comfortable queen bed. Island power goes off about 5am thus the fans go off but there was a nice ocean breeze.

When we arrived the owner shared with us many interesting (we thought anyway) facts about the island and the resort and then off we went to enjoy our new found paradise. We hiked some cool trails, kayaked and climbed the old light tower. Don’t get me wrong though, we spent plenty of time in the hammocks!

The staff was really nice and friendly. We had great food and killer margs and yes, the prices on the islands in general are higher than the mainland but we felt they were very fair for the quality and quantity we received because it has got to be difficult getting things to the island. We had a wonderful stay and we appreciate their focus on taking care of the islands environment (rain water recycling and their water bottle refill program especially).

We are coming back some day!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 October 2010

We stayed at little Corn BB in August for about 4 days at the head of our 5-week stay in Nicaragua. It was a perfect place to start our first visit to this amazing country. We were traveling with our 8-year-old son and he loved it as well. Clean, comfortable (although the lofts do get a bit hot), friendly and helpful staff, nice food and a central great location in a more-or-less central part of the island. We hope to return one day!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2010

Difficult to decide what's better: the location, the accommodations, the owners, or the margaritas.

• Stayed: April 2010
1  Thank criollo_gringo
Reviewed 11 October 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at LCBB for 4 nights in September 2010. We booked the accommodation purely on the basis of TA reviews (and also the management responses to some of the more negative reviews on here that I felt demonstrated a professional attitude).

On arrival at the dock, you are met by one of the hotel staff and he helps carry your bags across the island (a short 5-10 min walk) to the accommodation which is nice.

One of the first things that I felt left a sour taste concerns the welcome from the owner. Not that the welcome was a problem- It was just that on arrival he offers you a drink while you sit down with him and have the 'welcome chat'. I wasn't sure if he was offering alcoholic or soft drinks and so asked what they had on offer and he recommended a cocktail- a mudslide. That was fine and initially i thought, what a great welcome.
We had our drinks while he sat us down and explained the eco philosophy of the accommodation.
He also said that everything would be kept on a tab to pay for at the end of our stay. And when I say everything, I mean everything!- accommodation, drinks, food bills, bottles of water, kayak hire, the lot. Now some people may find this convenient, but I like to keep an eye on my cash and have a daily budget, so I really didn't like not knowing exactly where we were up to. I asked if I could pay as I went along (as i had done at all other places we stayed in in central America) but I was told that this wasn't allowed.
To be fair, when I asked to check what we had spent on a daily basis, the staff did accommodate this and were happy to tell me how much we had spent so far each day. It was then though that i discovered that the welcome cocktail and beer we had drank on the first day, had been applied to our bill! I was also gobsmacked to see that the cocktail that I had cost US$ 7 (about £5) which was easily and by far the most expensive drink I had in the entire 7 weeks that I travelled through Central America.
I wondered if I had maybe misunderstood or misheard his drink offer, but we were on our balcony a few days later when another couple arrived and sure enough, he did the same thing to them: offering a drink on arrival in a manner that would suggest that they were complimentary. I feel that the management should either change the way in which they phrase their offer or simply give the drinks complimentary as I am sure that we can't be the only ones who had this misconception.

Other than that, for us, the welcome chat wasn't a problem, but I can see that for some (especially if you were tired and/or hungry), the last thing you would want to do after a long journey is to have to sit down and have the chat.
With regards the chat, I am all for saving energy and recycling etc... but I am confident enough in my abilities to do so of my own accord. In all the travelling I have done, I have never been told by a hotelier how often I should flush the toilet!: "if its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down". My boyfriend and I just laughed, but I felt that these 'tips' would be much better written down and given in a small booklet in the room perhaps, rather than in a chat that could (by some) be perceived as patronising or directive.

The location is lovely- right on the beach with beautifully landscaped gardens.

The room: We were so disappointed with the room. It has 2 double beds (with mosquito nets), but these are very small doubles so as a couple you either sleep apart (and fight over who gets the fan) or both cram into a tiny double. I'm a UK size 8 and my boyfriend is trim and we struggled, so if you were bigger you'd probably have no option but to sleep apart.
The electricity shuts off at about 5am and once that fan stops, its not long before the temperature starts rising and so you generally wake feeling hot and sweaty.
The windows do not have mozzie wire- only lobster wire (?) so unless you shut the wooden shutters (so now its gloomy) mosquitoes and other bugs are free to fly in and out. Also, above the shower, there are wooden ventilation slats but these are fixed open so that again, sound and mosquitoes can enter your sleeping area.
The shower and the taps use recycled rain water (from the roof of your cabin) and I wasn't really happy washing myself, and especially my face, with untreated water particularly as (as the owner himself said)- you don't know what gecko's have been pooing on your roof.
The shower is an electric head one that gives hot water but only at certain times.
The room itself is kept lovely and clean but the lighting is poor, so that it only ever appears dull and gloomy (unless its the middle of the day and you have all doors and window shutters open).

Joanne, the Canadian manager was just lovely! She was professional, always happy to help and more importantly just a genuinely friendly and interesting woman. The owners should hang onto her because she (and the rest of the staff) are the reason that, despite the accommodation, we look back on our stay there with fond memories.

We had originally planned to stay for 5 nights at LCBB but instead stayed for 4 and went over to Big Corn for the last night. Once on Big Corn, we really, really wished we had stayed there for the majority of the time and maybe just spent 1 night (or done a day trip) to Little Corn.

Please don't read my review in a negative light. if you are true to heart eco-warriors or 'outdoorsey' types, then I'm sure you will love this place. However, if like me you don't like mozzies flying round the room and the only 'creature' comforts you like are things like a big comfy bed, a good warm shower, light and possibly a/c (MUCH needed in Central America) and maybe a TV, then this is definitely not the place for you. Additionally we found other places on Little Corn that had much better facilities for cheaper.

4  Thank doublechoc-chip
georgiesdad, Owner at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2010

We are sorry that our guests from Manchester did not enjoy their stay with us. As can be seen by the fact that we respond to reviewers that have had less than a “great” experience . . . we care!

We do appreciate their kind words for our staff and have let them know what a good job they are doing. Our staff is a great bunch!

As owners who live on sight and make ourselves available, we are disappointed when a guest has concerns or feedback and does not share it with us in the moment. We try our best to make everyone happy and have a history of implementing changes big and small based on our guest feedback.

As you read their review please keep in mind that we are on a Remote Tropical Island (RTI), on a beach, in a jungle and next to the sea. Our website points this out. We deal with everything from limited electricity, very high shipping and procurement costs (on some items you can double the cost paid in Managua by the time things reach LCI) to the myriad of issues that can arise due to our relative isolation. Big Corn Island for instance has 24 hr. electricity, LCI 15 hrs if we are lucky, BCI has cars and simple means of delivery, LCI has wheelbarrows and a 15 minute walk across the island, BCI has an airport, LCI does not. These differences are just the tip of the iceberg.

We respect our guest’s right to their opinion about their stay. But, when facts are misconstrued we feel compelled to respond.

The reason we recycle rain water is because LCI’s most likely stressed resource is its fresh water supply. A burgeoning population and tourist industry over the last 25 years has put the ongoing viability of the resource in question. Our efforts to make our guests aware of this potential challenge is intended to provide the information they may need to do what they can to minimize their impact on this RTI. We cover this and other info in the 10 to 15 minute introduction to LCI. One result of these efforts is our resort uses 80% less of the village supplied water as do similar hotels around the island that do not take the steps that we do. We think our guest’s, our staff and our resort can be proud of this fact.

Our guest from Manchester was reticent to wash with recycled rain water. Imagine how she may have felt had she drank it if I had not suggested (in what I thought was a humorous way) that it was potentially unwise to do so?

Each bungalow (including theirs) has a Queen size bed and a Full (they call it a “matrimonial” in Nicaragua because it is for two people).

The hot shower works only when there is electricity to operate the device (which is explained in our welcome).

The Bungalows have a porch light, main ceiling light, bathroom light and a nightstand lamp. The slats in the bathroom are to provide light and ventilation for the 9 hrs a day that there is no electricity.

I am sorry about the confusion on the drink. We operate a bar and restaurant where we sell libations and food to our guests and visitors and were unaware that there could be miscommunication along that line.

The drink prices are located on a menu at the table where we sit to introduce ourselves and the island.

The “Mudslide” is an all alcohol drink with shots of Kalua, Baileys, Vodka and Rum. Everything but the rum has to be imported to Nicaragua where duties and taxes may double the cost you might pay in the US. Then the liquor has to find its way to a RTI adding again to the cost of the raw material. The drink is 15oz blended with ice that is not cheap to have available (think RTI). The price for a Mudslide on Big Corn Island is $7, and the price here regardless of the increased costs of getting it to our RTI is the same, $7. As another point of comparison, a Pina Colada in Mangau costs in the $7 range and is a Rum drink which is relatively cheap.

Our guests went to BCI and stayed at a hotel that charges about 70% (our rate was 56/nt) more than we do and provided the services they preferred, a/c, 24hr electricity, TV, no recycled rainwater, etc. cars and roads. We are happy that they found something more to their liking.

We respectfully ask guests considering a stay with us to visit our website and become familiar with the types of amenities we provide and our goal of minimizing our impact on the delicate eco system of this RTI (Remote Tropical Island). This visit may help you decide if our “eco-friendly” approach and our relatively limited luxury are something you would enjoy. Wishing you safe travels.

Reviewed 10 October 2010

We spent 3 nights at LCBB and wish we had spent more. Little Corn Island is a beautiful tropical paradise and LCBB is a wonderful addition to the island. The owners are very concerned that the hotel is environmentally friendly' At check in, the manager sat down with us and explained everything we needed to know about our stay. We plan on going back and highly recomend the LCBB.

Reviewed 18 September 2010

We were visiting little corn island from Managua. Little Corn Beach and bungalow was a delightful surprise. After researching where to stay on Little Corn this was the perfect choice. You walk out of your Bungalow right on to the beach there are plenty of hammocks for everyone. A great place to relax and meet new people. There staff members were engaging and very helpful. The owners are very friendly and are happy to answer any questions you have about there place and the island. By far the best margaritas and Pina colodas on the whole island. Plus staying here was an easy walk to the other side of the island. Just don't forget your flashlight if you want to go out and party at night. Very comfortable beds/rooms. They are eco friendly and would be happy to wash towels and sheets when you feel neccessary. Snorkeling was awesome saw sharks star fish and much more. Food was delicious dinner includes a starter,salad,entree, and desserts

Reviewed 4 September 2010

Of all the places to stay in on the island -and we checked out most- LCIB&B seemed to offer the highest quality. Eight newly built charming cabanas in a pretty site almost hidden beneath the palm trees, kept tidy by the friendly American owners Scott and Christine and their staff. We enjoyed the snorkelling on the reef in front of the hotel, and the margaritas and pina coladas.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
#2 of 7 in Big Corn Island
La Princesa de la Isla
La Princesa de la Isla
#3 of 7 in Big Corn Island

Been to Little Corn Beach and Bungalow? Share your experiences!