“Tranquilo's, the hometown bar away from home”
Review of Tranquilo Cafe

Tranquilo Cafe
Price range: US$3 - US$12
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Description: Open for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner, Tranquilo Cafe offers delicious and refreshing alternatives to the standard Central American "rice & beans" fare: Fresh Kingfish Ceviche, juicy Cheddar Cheeseburgers, catch-of-the-day Fish Tacos, marinated Chicken Fillet sandwiches, Quesadillas, House-made Chips and Guacamole, Vegetarian/Vegan options, and nightly Dinner Specials. With a recently added back-yard BBQ Smoker, we now feature succulent Baby Back Ribs, juicy Pulled Pork, and Mojo Chicken platters, along with our own BBQ sauce, and fresh made sides including our own fresh Corn Bread. Also featuring fresh brewed Nicaraguan Coffees (hot & iced varieties) and Espresso, fresh-made local fruit juice drinks, made-to-order fruit/yogurt Smoothies (including Minga's special; Banana-Avocado w/cinnamon and vanilla), daily-baked Cookies, Brownies, Banana Bread & Carrot Cakes, Ice Cream desserts, and much more. Famous for our Bonfire Parties, we're also the island night spot. A great laid back atmosphere, with a variety of music from all over the world (including local DJ Nights and live cultural music/dance groups). It's a terrific place to meet up with other fun-seeking travelers. Come early to our Happy Hour (5-7 pm), and check out the drink specials; Rum Punch, Sangria and many 2 for 1 rum drink deals. Also, the widest selection of imported beers on the island. Our deck is located right on the beach on the front side of the island, between the 2 dive shops, with a great view for sunsets and people watching.
Dallas, Texas
“Tranquilo's, the hometown bar away from home”
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

I had the pleasure of discovering this outstanding restaurant with incredible drinks. The service was amazing and they always made you feel right at home. It turned out to be the "place to be" every night except Thursday. They are closed on Thursdays. Tuesdays nights are a blast with it being Tuesday night Trivia. Live music other nights, and just overall good people every night. With a happy hour from 5-7 every night, you can't go wrong. The food is outstanding with a beautiful sunset view on the beach every night. The owner lives on the island and is very interesting to talk to. The management is very accommodating and the other workers are very cool as well. They had a nice selection of alcoholic drinks, as well as some delicious smoothies. You gotta try the red beet ginger slaw, it was to die for. They even offer original souvenirs made by the locals. It's a great place to grab a few drinks at the bar or on the beach, read a book from their library, enjoy dinner with friends and and family, or just get lost in the moment, hanging out with the other wonderful people on Little Corn Island. Whatever your poison, you can't go wrong at Tranquilo's Cafe!

4 Thank Chris Y

Glenside, Pennsylvania
“A hello and farewell”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My first stop, and last, was Tranquilo Cafe. It's close to the dock and seemed very welcoming. The staff all had smiles and everyone at the bar was laughing and having a good time. My girlfriend and I stopped in and grabbed a couple ice-cold Tona's. We met some great people from all over the world. That night was trivia night. I was so impressed by the diverse, thought-out and culturally sound questions. I wasn't the only person at the bar that thought this. The music was great and the food was just what I was looking for. My girl had the fish tacos and I had some wings. Compliments to the local restaurant staff! By the end of our trip, I think we tried everything on the menu. I'm a picky eater and the staff helped me with every decision.

The next night there was a bon fire and some local reggae music. I danced and laughed all night. Very entertaining to watch how the locals, who have very little, be so passionate about the music and their culture. The following day we hung out on the beach in front of the Cafe and my girlfriend did sunset yoga on the deck with Jackie. It was a great class and seemed to be getting a lot of attention. I got to hang out with some of the staff and watch the local volleyball league play a pretty intense match.

Overall, It was my favorite place on this tiny island. It had a little bit of everything. We met so many interesting people and the staff was awesome, especially Doug! My girlfriend still talks about her favorite drink of our stay, the Caipirinha. I highly recommend Tranquilo to anyone looking to kick back, relax and enjoy some good food and drinks with an incredible staff. Thank you for everything Tranquilo!

Peruviandon

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank Peruviandon
Burbank, California
“A little college for me”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Great location. Would totally go back again but not at night. It's were the college kids go lol. I preferred a few other bars the were less crowded with more local flavor and less AEI gear lol.

• Visited June 2013
New Lenox, Illinois
“Just a WiFi connection”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This place is always packed of people. People who are busy browsing their iphones, tablets, etc...don't be surprised if nobody's talking. You can use their phone too for 10.00 Cordova per call ($1.00 is 25 Cordovas) if you need to call anywhere in Nicaragua.

The drinks are just average but expensive. Nothing really "fantastic" about this spot but the wi-fi.

Visited April 2014
“Backpackers Only”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

So, the food here is very good and so are the drinks. The place is a bit noisy, but has a nice atmosphere, and it's not very expensive for being on Little Corn. It is full of backpackers, as can be expected, didn't see any locals. However, one thing I found very off-putting, was the fact that the employees were almost exclusively backpackers and travelers from Europe/North America… I find this very sad seeing as Nicaragua is one of the countries with the highest unemployment rate in all of America. The restaurant itself was very nice, though.

Visited April 2014
TranquiloJohn, Owner at Tranquilo Cafe, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
We thank Martine S for her taking the time to post her thoughts.
We respect that everyone is welcome to an opinion, but we feel the need to correct a substantial factual error in her review:
Tranqulio Cafe has a full time staff of 18. All but 4 of whom are Nicaraguan. None of our staff are “backpackers” (“not that there’s anything wrong with that”). Our 4 foreign staff have college degrees in Restaurant and Hotel hospitality and are dedicated professionals in the trade. They live and work here year-round, and help mentor and train our local staff, so that we can offer you the level of service that MartineS, and everyone else enjoys so much about Tranquilo Cafe. The overwhelmingly positive reviews our guests generously give us about that reflect it. It is a balance that all of our local staff benefits from, and helps Tranquilo to be successful, and in turn hire more local staff (we’ve grown from an original staff of 3 islanders!).
Tranquilo is one of the largest employers on Little Corn, and it’s businesses like ours that help keep the employment rate on this island at the lowest in the Nicaragua. We’re very proud of the fact that we are able to support so many local families, as well as the local economy.
Although MartineS couldn't know all that from her one visit to Tranquilo (unless she had asked), we thought it important to clarify the inaccuracies in her review that caused her to be “off-put” and “sad”.
If you're a “backpacker”, or any other kind of traveler, tourist, local/islander expat, family, etc., you’re always welcome here, and anyone (other than MartineS) who has been to Tranquilo Cafe knows that well. Other new travelers/friends here always will find the same.