“Best food and service on the island”

The Turned Turtle Restaurant at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow
Price range: US$2 - US$16
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, View, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Turned Turtles casual, romantic, beach front atmosphere is a great place to eat and drink with family, friends or that special someone. Don't miss the opportunity to dine on a secluded beach and experience a delicious breakfast, lunch or dinner with no reservations needed. Breakfasts start at only 2.99, Lunch at 4.50 And our dinners include starter, soup or salad, veggies and dessert for as low as 9. You can choose from our healthy options (numerous vegetarian options available) or throw caution to the wind and pamper yourself with our savory sauces and maybe a roasted Coconut cookies. Come by anytime and enjoy one of our delicious specialty drinks like frozen (not blended) margaritas, famous pina coladas, Jeff's Mudhole, Bloody Caesar or refresh yourself with a Shangri La (Tequila, gran Marnier, fresh lime juice and jalepeno). We offer some of the best food, service and value on the island in a remote beach setting. Avoid the tourist crowds and drop in.
McLean, Virginia
“Best food and service on the island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Over my stay at LCBB, I had the grilled shrimp, the BBQ ribs, the filet mignon, shrimp scampi, Islands Benedict, Nica Eggs, and the bacon and turkey paninis. Literally the best food I ate in Nicaragua besides one particularly great restaurant in Granada. The drinks are a little pricey, but the main meals are a great deal considering not only do you get a five star quality entree, but a starter, soup or salad, and a dessert as well. After the first night, we knew we'd be eating there for most of our stay. The restaurant owner is fantastic--we couldn't believe how often he checked to make sure our food was perfectly cooked (and it was). Five star service, five star food!

• Visited June 2014
noplansnoreserve, General Manager at The Turned Turtle Restaurant at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for the very kind words about our food and service. We do our best, to do our best :) It is always our pleasure to serve nice folks like these here at the Turned Turtle Restaurant and LCBB.

Some of our specialty drinks may seem expensive by Nicaraguan standards. The reason they cost a little more is because they are created to LCBB and Turned Turtle Restaurant standards.

For example we serve "frozen" not "blended" margaritas and pina coladas (we offer the only "frozen" drinks on the island last we knew).

We believe that a "frozen" drink tastes better because it is not watered down with crushed and melting ice. To provide a frozen drink though means that we have to have a frozen drink machine ($3,400), solar panels to power the machine when there is no power ($1,200), batteries to store the solar power ($2,000) and an inverter ($1500). All of these costs impact the final price of the frozen Pina Colada ($6) or the giant frozen margarita ($7). Other factors too are that for our Margaritas (as an example), we actually import ourselves from the United States ingredients that are not available in Nicaragua to make our semi famous margs. These additional costs are figured in to the price as well.

There is no doubt that there are cheaper pina coladas and margaritas on the island. Our hope is that because we have made the effort and investment to make our drinks unique that they are worth the extra buck or two.

We invite everyone to come and see if you taste the difference and maybe have a bite to eat too :)

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Amazing fish tacos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stopped here for lunch one day after reading such amazing reviews on Trip Advisor. It was definitely worth the hype! I started with a yummy pina colada that felt like drinking dessert! For my entree I had the fish tacos which were some of the best tacos I've had in my life. The tacos came with a side of freshly made tortilla chips with salsa and guacamole. The food was so good that I wanted to clean my entire plate, but it was so much food that I couldn't! This was the best meal that I've had during my time on Little Corn Island.

• Visited June 2014
noplansnoreserve, General Manager at The Turned Turtle Restaurant at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Our goal since we opened 5 years ago is to have the "best fish tacos" ever! We even drove all the way down the Baja to a little fish taco restaurant to try to talk them out of their recipe (they wouldn't give it up :( ). So it is good to see that at least for some, we have succeeded.

Thank you for taking the walk down the beach to give us a try, we are glad you were not disappointed!
Stanwood, Washington
“Food and service was great and still bargain priced!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is the best food on the island for sure and still bargained priced.
It is worth hanging out all day just for breakfast lunch and dinner. Island Benedict is superb, fish tacos for lunch – the best, and a great dinner menu!
We spent a week on the island eating everywhere and had some fine meals, but the Turtle hands down is the best place to go, they know what service is, most of the other places could care less. The atmosphere here is wonderful and plenty of shade. Stay here at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, it is a few more bucks than some of the other places, but very much worth it, highly worth it!

Best Pina Colada and Mud Slide in Nicaragua and beer comes with an ice cold mug

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Daniel B
Hi Daniel,

It is most excellent :) that you enjoyed the Turned Turtle. Thank you for recognizing the value that comes for the price. We work daily to be sure that we are providing the freshest, best food and drink possible at very reasonable prices.

We are not sure though about the "ice cold" mug :) You must have been an especially engaging guest as we don't usually provide that service :( Although, fear not, our beer is almost always ice cold!
Managua
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved the food ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Had breakfast on two different days, but I also spent some time on the beach and tried the cocktails and the ice cold beer. I have to say everything is excellent, but on top of that the service is very good. I will definitely recommend this place

Thank you Martin for your kind review.

Our staff works so hard at providing attentive, quality and appropriate service that this kind of feed back really makes them feel good. They were very excited when we shared your words with them. Please come see us again someday!
Canada
“Beware if you have Food Allergies or Restrictions!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

For those of you with food allergies or restrictions, the Turned Turtle is NOT the place for you. We ate there a few times for breakfast and lunch and they would not make any substitutions or accommodations to their menu. (I didn't bother trying to eat there for dinner because it is a set four course menu with no flexibility). Even when I explained my allergies to the staff, they neglected to inform me of some hidden fillers, such as milk in their smoothies, so I got sick. From one day to the next, the food can be made differently, so I ordered what I thought was safe, but they prepared it differently so I wasn't able to eat it. I spoke with the manager and he did not offer much sympathy. He felt that there is not a large enough population of clients with gluten or dairy intolerances to worth having options for us (I met two other celiacs in my short stay on the island and Yemaya Hotel up the beach certainly feels that there is enough of a population to warrant putting GF beside their menu items). He also implied that I needed to be more understanding that I wasn't in my home country. However, I have been travelling for 12 months all over the world in many countries where I don't speak the language, and people have understood me and been compassionate and accommodating. I think to say that your staff is unable to handle the concept of allergies is to say that you are not putting enough faith in them.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank World_Wanderer127
noplansnoreserve, General Manager at The Turned Turtle Restaurant at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
First we ask everyone to check out our hotel website FAQS page where we openly discuss how we are trying hard to take care of all of our guests including the gluten and dairy intolerant even given the challenges of having a restaurant in a remote island environment.

We are sorry that "World Wanderer" had a bad experience at our restaurant because of her food allergies.

While her expectation is that our staff should be sensitive to her needs we might suggest that she be sensitive to our staff and the fact that they have been raised in a culture that has no knowledge of what is so common for World Wanderer and others with special dietary needs. As much as our people try, and they try hard, we don't always get it right.

Also our staff does do their best to understand individual needs and to work within their knowledge base to accommodate special needs. As her many visits to our restaurant might indicate.

We would ask our guests to please remember that this is a third world country and a remote tropical island where the locals have never even heard of gluten let alone "gluten free". In this case, when she told our manager and the waiter that she couldn't eat her toast and her cheese, they suggested that she might purchase her meal, including a fruit cup, bacon and eggs off our "sides" menu which she did not want to do.

Yamaya (the example she gave) may be different as they have numerous trained North American chefs on hand serving a more limited menu at a different price point. In contrast, by choice, every single employee from cook to waiter that work at the Turned Turtle are Nicaraguans (mostly islanders) and most have had no restaurant work experience at all.
They have been trained in house and for the most part do an excellent job.

All of our food is prepared to precise recipes and very high standards. Not differently everyday as this reviewer claims. One of the keys to our popularity as a restaurant is our consistency.

Our recipe book is around 40 pages. Even though we try to teach our wait staff the basics of our recipes to have an expectation that they would know every ingredient in every recipe that relates to gluten and dairy seems unreasonable at the least.

Our Smoothie recipe for instance does NOT contain milk (or any gluten or dairy product) contrary to her speculation. She may have asked her wait person they may have unintentionally given incorrect information.

Our folks get it right most of the time and we are proud of them and the effort they put in. As a matter of fact, even though these guests ate all of their food, our manger refunded them a portion of their dining bill to try to ease their concerns.

We have over 21 vegetarian options on our menu and try to take as many folks needs in to account as we possibly can. There are options on our menu that are both gluten and dairy free such as our fruit offerings, items with corn tortillas and our "sides" menu. WW could have had eggs, bacon and fruit for about the same price of the meal she choose with cheese and our island coco bread cinnamon toast.

Because of WW's experience here, we are going to create a small reference menu for those in situations like hers that covers the options that people like her have in regard to dining options.

Our dinner menu while 4 courses is frequently altered for guests with food issues. There are 9 menu items for dinner regularly featured and over half the main courses fit in to the dairy and gluten free realm. If one of the other courses that can not be substituted and does not fit a special needs case, we encourage the guest to forgo that portion.

We and our staff are on an ongoing basis trying to develop a skills and knowledge base that respects and creates empathy towards all of our guests and their needs. We hope that World Wanderer might empathize with others providing service that she will meet during her travels in developing countries and regions that are different than others she has already visited (e.g. Little Corn Island).

If you are not gluten and dairy intolerant, come dine with us. And even If you are, please come anyway and we will do our best to accommodate your needs :)

Travellers who viewed The Turned Turtle Restaurant at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow also viewed

Little Corn Island, Corn Islands

Been to The Turned Turtle Restaurant at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow? Share your experiences!