“Beautiful property HORRIBLE service”

Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I've travelled a lot and realize one has to be flexible but our stay at Yemaya tested us. To start, the rooms and property are beautiful. We were there at a slow time and were a group of five; there were two other couples and a group of three men, so the place wasn't busy at all. Most times when we would go to any meal, we were the only ones there. It was the service that we couldn't believe: 20 minutes (literally) of watching the bartender go through each step to make one smoothie. At least 30 minutes to have a meal delivered. When we would ask if it would be much longer on the drink order or whatever we'd been waiting for, the kitchen/restaurant manager would come over and apologize for the delay, and then we'd wait some more. After a while, apologies don't matter when nothing is ever done to fix the problem. And it actually got to be funny because it became so surreal to ask for more milk because the pitcher was empty and it would be 10 minutes before it arrived and we'd see our server doing something other thank filling the milk, as if she forgot our request. Beware of any compassion or help from Julia, the manager. I only ate Yemaya food and stayed away from salads but still got the dreaded stomach bug we are all warned about. When I went to Julia to ask advice, remedies, anything, she shook her head and said she didn't know any because she hadn't ever had it. She said I might "try" ginger tea. I didn't know what it was or how to drink it and she said she'd send some over but instead she continued to write the daily menu up on the white board while I watched. After about 10 minutes, she began to talk with guests and clearly wasn't going to get me the tea, I went to the bar and asked for myself. Later, my husband asked for some coconut water for me and waited about 20 minutes. He went to Julia to ask why the delay and her response was: "It's not like we have a grocery store here." Wow! I get it that it's an island and I love "Island Time" but this woman could not have care less for our comfort or satisfaction until we were leaving. Then she arrives at our door to wish us a "safe send off". Maybe she remembered that word of mouth and guest reviews exist and she thought she was making a last ditch effort? Either way, I can't recommend this place because there are others just as nice with a competent staff and management who cares and realizes there's a lot more than just filling rooms with warm bodies. Good luck to anyone who expects a positive experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank ChloeBrooksJulian
mnjbitton12, Manager at Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Kathryn,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, as we always appreciate feedback. We were all very surprised and disappointed by what you said. We understand and do apologize for the speed of the service in the restaurant, however, I find it hard to believe you had nothing nice to say in regards to our entire local staff. They went above and beyond to ensure your family had an enjoyable stay, while here for only 2 nights. I personally checked you in with a warm greeting and run down about your room and property, so the claim that I waited until you were checking out to "pretend" to care is very upsetting. The staff set up the volleyball net and slackline for you all to play with on the beach and our Chef cooked off the menu food for your children when they came in 2 hours after the kitchen had closed, yet none of that was mentioned in your review.

Yes, our smoothies, which are made from the freshest ingredients and are quite complicated, take a little longer to make than your average Jamba Juice, but I think the quality makes it worth the wait. The same applies to our food. Nothing is prepared in a microwave or from cans. It is all made from the freshest ingredients the moment you order them. And yes, the comment about there not being a grocery store was to remind you of that point. We had to send someone to climb a tree to get the freshest, sweetest coconuts for you. Sometimes the best things in life are worth slowing down for. I apologize if you felt that my recommendation to drink ginger tea or coconut water was not compassionate. Stomach bugs happen no matter where your location at times. I asked what your symptoms were and you said that you were just nauseous, not throwing up or any other symptoms, so ginger tea is a widely known remedy.

I feel that the other reviews contradict your claim that I do not care and that someone will have a hard time having a positive experience here. In fact, the feedback from our guests has been overwhelmingly positive. We could not be more proud of our staff and the unforgettable experiences they are creating for our guests. Very sorry this was not your experience.

Julia

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I only have nice things to say about this resort and destination.The views from the resort look like computer desktop backgrounds, and the beauty of the island and ocean is unreal. I stayed there for a week on a yoga retreat, and I thought the staff and service was incredible. It was my fist time out of the US and I felt very safe. I would recommend visiting this location and staying at this resort!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a view! There are all equally good.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Britt T
Julia B, Manager at Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Britt,

We loved having your entire group here! You guys are the best! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. We are so happy to hear that you found the service and staff incredible! We hope you are able to come to another retreat here soon!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Yemaya Island Hideaway is absolutely breath taking.! From start to finish the place was top notch. Upon arrival we had fresh coconuts waiting for us. What a way to start our trip. The property is breath taking. I enjoyed my walks to my destinations on the property just as much as the actual destination. The staff knew all of our names by the second day and "yes" was definitely they answer when It came to any of the requests that we had.

Another plus is you can do as much or as little as you would like. You can go scuba diving, snorkeling, tubing, walking....... or you can relax in a hammock. I did a little of each and came back from my travels full of life.

The restaurant was amazing ! we had breakfast, lunch, dinner and smoothies everyday for 6 days. It was so good and we never tired of it. Eddie makes a mean smoothie!!!!

I truly cannot say enough about the staff, location and the actual property. My whole group shares the same opinion.

it is a must stay!

Room Tip: All of the rooms where amazing. we had the room just about the meditation deck. it was great becau...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sydney p

Hey Syd!

We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a sweet review! We enjoyed having your group here so much! Everyone was so fun! We will never forget the amazing song you all wrote for us too! That was the best gift ever!!! We are all looking forward to your return next year (we hope!)!

Warm Sunny Regards,

Julia, Michael and the Yemaya Team

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We got some funny looks when we told people were were going to Little Corn Island for our honeymoon, but I am happy to say we really knocked it out of the park with that decision. Quite a trek to get there as we had to spend a night in Managua in order to catch the early morning flight to Big Corn, and then the cab ride and panga to Little Corn was pretty wild. The boat from Yemaya was waiting for us at the dock and whisked us away to the north side of the island. Someone was there on the beach to greet us, take our luggage and give us a rundown of the property- what a welcome.
The bungalows are spacious and stylish. Huge beds. A tropical garden in the shower. A good sized day bed. Deck feels completely private. The restaurant/reception building is right in the middle of the resort. The view from the giant open windows in there is a stunner. The buildings blend in naturally right into the jungle and beach surroundings. Very impressive.
Even more impressive is the property itself. I could not stop taking pictures. Most beautiful beach and water I've ever seen. Although the resort was probably full the week we were there, you have so much space to yourself it is ridiculous. In fact, almost every beach pic I took does not have one person in it! Hammocks all over the place- spent a lot of time in those. The snorkeling is pretty nice off the beach, but you really have to go out with a snorkeling tour to see some pristine reef.
The staff seems much improved from some of the earlier reviews of this place. They are such a sweet and friendly group- we were on first name basis with just about all of them. We enjoyed every meal- the fish tacos for lunch and the pad thai at dinner were the biggest standouts for me, although it was all excellent. The beach bar is quite a hotspot for happy hour.
I do suggest taking the 20-30 minute walk to check out the village and some of the restaurants. If you're a little weary of the walk, don't be- the locals can look pretty serious, but make eye contact and say hello and their faces light up. Very nice people. The journey at night was quite an adventure- don't forget a flashlight.
This place seems like a well kept secret but trust me it will blow up soon. I will definitely be back!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Will!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review! We are so honored that you chose Yemaya for your honeymoon! We all enjoyed getting to know you and your beautiful wife. It is so nice to read how you enjoyed every aspect that makes Yemaya and Little Corn so special! We hope you are able to visit us again soon!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We really enjoyed 4 nights at Yemaya as part of our getaway during spring break. We've travelled to several Central American countries and Yemaya/Little Corn is among the top places to visit. The resort is pristine and in an awesome location. Yoga, snorkeling and diving were great. Dining and juice bar were very good. Every meal was diverse and enjoyed even by our young teenagers. Service was excellent.

Room Tip: all the rooms are on the water/beach
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Julia B, Manager at Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear Walt,

We appreciate you taking time to write a review! We really enjoyed having you and your family stay with us! It was so wonderful to hear that you found it to be one of the top places to visit out of your Central American tour. We were thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed the food and found the service to be excellent! Glad you enjoyed the yoga, snorkeling and diving too-those are some of the most fun activities on the island! We hope you are able to return and see us again soon!

Julia, Michael & the Yemaya Team

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We spent 4 nights here after a few days in Granada. The cabins are all virtually on the beach, large and very comfortable with verandas over looking the ocean. The beach is beautifully groomed each day.The communal facilities are good and the staff very helpful and friendly but the service can be a little haphazard and slow. (50 minutes for an omelette to appear one day and bar service is slow). It has recently opened and staff training is clearly an issue. It takes about 30 minutes to walk on the jungle path to the local village which has a lot of life and one or two good restaurants, particularly the Cuban one as you arrive in the village. The path is difficult at night though even with a torch as it is without any lighting at all. Unfortunately the regular chef wasn't there so although the food quality was excellent, the replacement chef had a very limited (mainly Thai) repertoire which was very repetitive. Diner was relatively expensive given the very limited choice of only 2 starters or mains (around $135 for two with wine). This will be a perfect place once the young American managers get a grip of the staff issues. We wish them luck!

Room Tip: Cabin 6 is ideal
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PeterJ H

Dear Peter,

Thank you so much for your feedback! We were happy to read how much you enjoyed your cabaña, the beach and the communal areas. We were also very happy to hear that you found our staff to be very helpful and friendly. We are very proud of our local staff and the way that they have all grown and developed over the past six months since our opening. We are committed to hiring people from the island, so that as Yemaya succeeds, the island and its people will flourish with it. It is our desire to share the spirit and culture of the island with all of our guests, so that you leave with a genuine experience, not something manufactured. We hope you and Gillian are able to visit us again in the future!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We finished off our 3 week holiday with a relaxing 4 night stop at Yemaya. Have to admit I didn't enjoy the boat trip from Big Corn much but it was worth it to stay on this paradise island. We were picked up from the jetty on Little Corn and taken by boat to the hotel. All the rooms are virtually on the beach which is cleared of sea weed every morning. Sea is very clear and you can borrow snorkels etc. free of charge from the beachside bar. Our room was large with great shower. Only complaint was that there is no hair dryer anywhere so I had bad hair days every day! Food was excellent and the staff friendly and helpful.
Hotel is about 20 minute walk from the village and it's worth making the effort and seeing how this small island population live and work. We spent a memorable Sunday watching the local baseball teams play with the locals!
I loved this hotel and would recommend it highly.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GillyT
Julia B, Manager at Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Gillian,

Thank you so much for recommending Yemaya to your fellow travelers! We loved getting to know you and Peter and were so happy to hear how much you loved Yemaya and Little Corn. I promise if you come back, I will have a hair dryer for you. ;) Hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Corn Island
0 mi away
Hotel Los Delfines
Hotel Los Delfines
#5 of 7 in Little Corn Island

Been to Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa? Share your experiences!