“A very overrated place to stay”
Review of Casa Iguana

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Corn Island
Casa Iguana
Copenhagen, Denmark
“A very overrated place to stay”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed there for 5 nights, and generally the cabañas are ok to the price (but I think this varies from cabaña to cabaña) and the location is really good. However the staff here seemed to be more concerned about their own life that to service the customer. Often it felt like the staff only was there to go to the beach... etc.

One day with 10 minutes notice we were told that we had to change cabaña - not very serviceminded, at least the could have told us earlier. On top of that, the beds in the new cabaña were filled with ants, and the cabaña was also smaller, but still to the same price.

Our general review is that it's an okay place to stay, because there aren't that many choices on Little Corn Island, but we heard from many that Beach and Bungalow is better (plus they also give their local staff a higher salary than Casa Iguana).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gitte_reviewer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I truly was looking forward to our stay in Casa Iguana. I had done lots of research, read up on it and looked at reviews. Unfortunately the idea that was portrayed is not what we received. Casa Iguana is a LOVELY resort, I do mean that. The grounds are beautifully manicured, the casitas are adorable and the location is superb. It was until about the second night when the rosiness of it all started to fade away.

First of all, you get to sleep in a DOUBLE bed, so for anyone over the size of 5´5´´ you may want to rethink that, and especially if you are planning on sharing the bed with someone. There are NO fans in the room and with a mosquito net over your bed you are absolutely suffocating. I did not sleep the entirety of our trip there and woke up every night to take a cold shower to cool off. I could barely breathe. (I had already been in the country for 10 days, so this was not me adapting to the climate either). In addition, the bedding was moldy, the pillows were completely covered in mould and the towels that were provided we absolutely disgusting, totally covered in mould, and were not replaced until the 2 last day of our stay- after we had gotten our own. I understand it’s a tropical climate but come on.

Second, the food was a rip off, dinner was ok, breakfast was ok, lunch-DON´T do it. It was definitely over priced in all, and the drinks as well were on the pricey side too.
Third, the beach. To actually hit some nice open clean beach, you have to walk down to another hotel....disappointing.

Fourth, the staff...aside for a select few-one American girl who let us use her flashlight and the local staff everyone was extremely rude and made us seem like complete outsiders. The people working there have a clique and they will not let you be apart of it. I´m not expecting a 5 star resort here, but a little courtesy and information about the island and what they think is fun to do and where to go would be nice. Thankfully the neighbor -captain whiskas- was more then willing to offer us some words of advice, even walking us to where we wanted to go. In fact, there´s a dog on the island who showed us more courtesy and attention, even walking us right to our room in the middle of the night. Extremely disappointing. Even upon check out where, word of advice, you are charged 5% extra to use your credit card, the guy working there told us that our next destination (Big corn) ¨sucked¨.

On a side note –MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FLASHLIGHT, No wifi, the tin roof when it rains is deafening, and its not a bomb that landed on your little casita, its a coconut.

All in all, this place is extremely over priced and over rated. I hardly ever listen to bad reviews, I go with the majority, which is what I did in this regard, but trust me, after our stay and speaking to others who were travelling around the island the same time as us there are better places. Ones the have queen sized beds and fans in the rooms. And are still bungalows, oh and are cheaper... and nicer. (Little Corn beach and Bungalow) Which is not mentioned in the Nicaragua travel book that everyone has because it was republished in 2009 when that place was being built.

Please, do yourself a favor and listen to this review. I don’t like pick apart a place but if you’re tall, and want a good night sleep and want to save a little dough, stay somewhere else. You wont get your moneys worth here.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LGadventures
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 27 June 2011

The whole experience of visiting Casa Iguana was awesome. The journey in getting there alone gets you in the mood for a solo, natural and slightly adventurous experience. I was able to ride the small prop plane as the initial flight was overbooked. This was a much better ride with a big window to experience our low-altitude flight to Big Corn. Be sure to have your stuff wrapped up tight for the boat ride over to LCI as it can get a little rough...and wet. Lastly, a short walk through the town and your at Casa Iguana. Time to chill. The food here is absolutely delicious. You'll have no trouble finding things to do from scuba diving, snorkeling hiking, fishing...and, doing nothing at all seems to be a local favorite, too. You can eat and drink very cheaply. I'd absolutely return. Be sure to check the seasons and determine which best suits your expectations.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2011

I loved Casa Iguana despite the torrential rain during my entire stay. I only stayed 2 days and I was told upon my arrival it wasn't enough. I agree if it wasn't for that pesky rain but after 2 days it was time to go. Needless to say I spent most of my time in the restaurant area which was good because I made new friends and we all had a great time chatting about our travels and life in general. Staff were great as well, though during the day it was difficult to find someone to help, which I suppose isn't a problem during the "sunny season".

The casitas are very basic but in Little Corn standards they are pure luxury. I opted for a casita with it's own bathroom and shower. There is no hot water which ain't a problem, I suppose, if it's hot weather. The I stayed in Casita 2 which had one of the best views, over-looking one of the many beaches.

Food was excellent. I only had one evening meal there but it was cooked to perfection. So yummy and moreish.

Location, it was remote enough to be away to be a quiet haven away from the main strip but close enough to walk to the main strip within a few minutes.

My only criticism is that it's easy to get lost during your first day/night there. The paths don't have signs for the casitas needless to say I got lost in the middle of the night after a night in town (fortunately there were other guests around to help me). There are signs for reception and to the town but it wouldn't go a miss if they put up signs directing you to the casitas.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
florida
Reviewed 8 June 2011

I recently stayed three nights at Casa Iguana. It has a great location on a bluff overlooking the beach. The people who work there are friendly and responsive to the needs of the guests. Everything was fine until it rained on the third night of my stay.. The roof of my room, casita #49, had a leak directly over the bed and I woke up soaking wet and was unable to get a decent night's sleep. I mentioned this situation to the manager in the morning when I checked out and he didn't seem at all concerned about the problem. For $US55 per night I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a casita in good condition. Management could do a much better job of keeping the rooms in good repair.

Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank chorle
Oriental, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 April 2011

A couple of quick notes for the readers on this review: Little Corn Island is not for everybody. If you are expecting Pina Coladas by the pool, room service, ESPN, and a wild nightlife, head on over to the million plus all-inclusives in Cancun or wherever and leave the traveling to the rest of us. If you have small kids, consider a Disney cruise/trip. (For the most part. Some seasoned kids could handle this)
If you want to experience life on a true Caribbean island as it should be, read on.

I will try to help the readers by not repeating what is in many of the reviews following this one, but to some degree it is going to happen.

Arrivals on LCI (after a rough but fun panga ride!) are met by representatives from Casa Iguana who take your luggage and escort you to the property. Along the way, you will receive a briefing on the island and the local hotspots. All of this is a huge help. Check-in is seamless-helped by an ice cold Tona-and your bags are taken to your room.

Casa Iguana is a little piece of paradise on LCI. It is a preserve that is expertly maintained. They grow much of their own fruit,produce and meat. The grounds
are painstakingly manicured. Indeed, many of our pictures are of the various walkways on the property. Rooms are rustic but extremely comfortable. We stayed in Casita #5, which was perfect. Great view of the beach, close enough to the lodge, yet with some privacy. During our week there, we never needed the mosquito netting and had zero problems with bugs. We had a private bath and an outdoor shower. The outdoor shower was very refreshing after a day on the beach. While the rooms are very comfortable, hopefully you are not in them much-we were not. We did spend some afternoons in the hammocks on the porch, having a cold one and watching the waves.

Since we are at the end of the beach, there was not alot of walk by traffic, creating a semi-private beach. Many days we did not see another person until noon or so. The snorkeling right off the beach is good and on calm days you can go way out to the break and see quite a bit. The beach is beautiful and groomed each morning. Frank will come by and crack open some coconuts for you for a $1. Very refreshing after a long snorkel. There are also 2 more private beaches just pass the lodge.

The lodge. What can I say? It is beyond amazing. The view from the deck simply cannot be described to your friends back home. Think Tahiti on steroids. The picutre on their website does not do it justice. We just came back from Australia and this view rivals if not beats anything we saw there. The food is gourmet in every respect. Kelly, the chef is simply outstanding. (she went Southern on me a couple of nights and rivaled the food from home-great job on the pork!!) My only complaint is we did not get up early enough the first few days to have the amazing breakfast. The 3 course dinners are sublime, and despite other reviewers opinions worth every penny of $15.00. We ate at many places during our stay and she is hands down the best on the island. We spent many afternoons on the deck, watching the rays and fish swimming around at low tide. Brandon makes an extrodinary rum cocktail, using freshly squeezed juices from the property. My wife fell victim to these on her birthday!! He is a great bartender and even better fly fisherman, if you want some lessons or a guided trip. Beers are always on ice, which I appreciated. (take a collapsible cooler with you to haul beers down to the beach)
There is fresh water available from a well 24 hrs. Perfectly safe, as is the water in the rooms.

The location is perfect. Town is an easy 5 minute walk. The other beach front properties are straight up the beach 5- 10 minutes.

I always try to include the challenges in my reviews so the property can improve and the readers will have a better idea. Simply put, I do not have any. We extended our trip while we were down there and came soooo close to doing it twice. It was a flawless stay. I give a great degree of credit for this to Juan Carlos, the General Manager. He has assembled a top notch staff focused entirely on customer service-and he can cook!

On a personal note--thanks to the late night ring hook gang: Doug, Dave, Aussie Jeff, Katherine and the rest for letting us into your community. Y'all are the best. We had a blast. Jackie is still the only member of the "No-Hook" club! Please give our love to Walker, Gizmo and Stella. We are sending a care package of doggie treats for them.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NCSTATEGUY
Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Get here before tourism takes off on this island with no roads/motorized vehicles! Little Corn Island is a gem. And if you are going to visit, you must stay at Casa Iguana. Hands down, it is the best location on the island.

Casa Iguana is on acres and acres of property , has access to three private beaches, it's own working farm, a "clubhouse/lodge" serving literally gourmet breakfast, lunches and dinners, and has complimentary free water, tea, and coffee all day (plus super nice bartenders staffing the main lodge all day) with the most amazing view on the entire island...maybe even the most amazing ocean view I have ever seen from a lodge?). There is nothing else on the island that can compare (or ever will compare) to Casa Iguana due to it's sheer location and size of private land.

The casitas (shared bathrooms) and cabanas (private shower and bath) are definitely rustic -- they are in need of a makeover. But for a reasonable island get-a-way, it was totally fine. Just be fore-warned. The room is where you sleep, not where you hang out. That's what we believe, at least. But the lodge totally makes up for it.

Casa Iguana is about a 15 min walk on a path through the jungle into town, 60 minutes to the North side of the island. The Casa Iguana property is extremely safe, and it is on the "windy side" of the island...which means that it is rarely sweltering (which is not the case for the the opposite side of the island...it is HOT over there!!) This is important to consider when you are planning your trip to Little Corn Island.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa
Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa
#2 of 7 in Little Corn Island
Las Palmeras Beachfront Boutique Hotel
Las Palmeras Beachfront Boutique...
#4 of 7 in Little Corn Island
#5 of 7 in Big Corn Island
La Princesa de la Isla
La Princesa de la Isla
#3 of 7 in Big Corn Island

Been to Casa Iguana? Share your experiences!