“Diving with Iguana”
Review of Casa Iguana

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Corn Island
Casa Iguana
“Diving with Iguana”
Reviewed 24 June 2006

My whole family went and stayed with Iguana and we werent impressed with the housing or meals but they had a spectacular dive shop. They were very organized and prepared; but the actual dives werent amazing. The locals throw out lobster cages and they have dammaged the reefs fairly badly. There are some dives with a lot of sharks and rays but there is hardly any pretty coral or fish. If you like fish its a great place to stay because that is pretty much all you will eat. The casitas are hot and bug covered and solar powered so its not at all modernized but it is beautiful.

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Sonoma County, California
Reviewed 6 June 2006

Yes, there are insects in the tropics, and no the Iguana isn't pretending to be the Ritz Calrton. The accomodations were unpretentious, clean and pleasant. I loved my platform bed that was high enough to catch the ocean breezes blowing through the window. The staff was warm and helpful, the food fresh and delicious. Did I mention the killer Mojiitos? The location can't be beat.

• Stayed May 2006
11 Thank rmctraveller
Reviewed 23 April 2006

My husband and I stayed at Casa Iguana because we had heard such lovely comments about Little Corn Island from a friend. We paid a premium price of US$70 per night for the privelidge of being, wet,hot, and miserable for 2 days before deciding we'd had quite enough and headed out. The island itself is lovely...although quite poor and dirty. Casa Iguana is really strictly for "backpackers" who don't mind not having any modern facilities at all and basically having just a roof over their heads. I think we would have been better off camping. Had we only paid US$25 it may have been acceptable, but for the price we paid I would at least expect clean dry sheets and maybe a fan.

• Stayed May 2005
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Reviewed 11 March 2006

My boyfriend and I had a really great time on Little Corn Island. It was all so romantic; it felt like we had been marooned on a tropical island with only fruit, rum, cards and snorkel gear to entertain ourselves (pity!)! And staying at Casa Iguana was perfect. It was "island luxury," with fresh, running well water that's drinkable. Hammocks and a constant breeze brought sleep easily. They have thick, nice mattresses and clean sheets and towels and everything (yes, all the windows had screens). Some other reviews of the hotel said electricity was turned off, but that's not the case; it's on all night and only gets turned off for maybe a couple of hours during the day to conserve because the hotel uses wind and solar energy (cool!). And if the staff there was rude in the past, then there have definitely been changes because the chefs, housekeepers, managers and everyone was SO FRIENDLY and helpful. They made me vegetarian dinners that were delicious using fresh vegetables out of their large garden and took the time to give out tons of advice about where to snorkel. Anyways, I read some of the previous reviews about how horrible Casa Iguana is, and I just wanted to set the record straight---or maybe it's just as well that some types of people find it so awful because the entire island is a WELL KEPT SECRET!!! Thank you Casa Iguana, a unique jewel in the world.

• Stayed February 2006
14 Thank HBOMBHAWAII
New York, NY
Reviewed 9 March 2006

I can't speak for the $25 a night cabins, but the Deluxe Casita we stayed in at Casa Iguana was beautiful and the setting was hands down the best I have ever woken up to. I opened my porch door to the Caribbean every morning. Having air-conditioning would be ridiculous as there is a constant (yes, constant) cool breeze coming in off the water. It's awesome. The place outside of that seemed to be very well maintained and the staff were very helpful (Chelsea is the manager we dealt with and she is fantastic). As for earlier reviews talking about that place Hotel Delphines, I would imagine those were either written by that establishment's proprietors or someone who probably should have done a little more research on Little Corn before heading there. The leeward side of the island (where that is located) is very hot and the mosquitoes make themselves known. The windward side is much more comfortable and the beaches are the only one's outside of those on the northern tip worth spending time on. Also, my girlfriend and I ate a meal there and it was the only bad meal I had on the entire trip. I ordered lobster Caribe and they managed to ruin two perfectly good lobster tails by drowning them in milk and onions (yuck). The side of soggy fries and the florescent lighting probably didn't help my opinion. That said, if you don't want to pay a lot to stay in a place that is essentially paradise and can live without TV, I could not recommend Casa Iguana more (at least Casita #5). Little Corn is definitely worth it. I'm none too pleased to be back home.

• Stayed March 2006
12 Thank ihux
San Francisco , CA
Reviewed 26 January 2006

Guide books rave but a serious disapointment. I expected this place to be a notch or two above the average backpacker shacks but it is not at all.The economy bungalows cost the same as the hotel ( in the low season at least) and are padlocked sheds with rotting mini porches( literally 2.5 ft wide) with little plastic hammocks.The loose fiberglass roof panel flapped all night and the bed near the "window" was covered each night with termite dust and excrement. Very large spiders..ect... the list goes on. The managers, Robert(o)and wife, at that time were just nasty, very nasty expats who dont speak spanish. I could go on but I think you get the picture. The owners have probably contributed alot to the local economy and are probably decent concerned folks but this place needs a major make over and attitude adjustment. It is for sale ! No Surprise.

• Stayed May 2005
11 Thank TempleRat
Reviewed 16 January 2006

My family and I had a wonderful stay at Casa Iguana. My wife and I stayed in a Grand Casita (recommended), the girls in a Casita, and our son in another Casita. It is not a palace, but it is not represented as such. No A/C, but the with the windows open (and we did have screens) the cool breeze made it quite comfortable for sleeping at night. The home-cooked meals were delicious, and we enjoyed the friendliness and family atmosphere at the lodge. Crime was never an issue; of course, there are safes in the room to minimize temptations. Snorkeling, diving, fishing, hiking and just hanging out on the beach were all good.

• Stayed August 2005
#4 of 7 in Big Corn Island
Hotel Bellavista
Hotel Bellavista
#5 of 7 in Big Corn Island

Been to Casa Iguana? Share your experiences!