“Anything grows there! So does eternal memories!”
Review of Casa Iguana

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Corn Island
Casa Iguana
Flower Mound Texas
“Anything grows there! So does eternal memories!”
Reviewed 26 September 2006

I arrived on Saturday 9/9/2006 and stayed a week. What can I say... you start out on a commercial plane, then switch to a much smaller plane, down to a panga boat, then a wheel barrel awaits for you at the Little Corn Island shoreline. It was the best stay ever! The weather was fantastic.. only rained the last day there for only a brief moment.

I stayed in the Grand Casita... nice.... view was great walk down a few steps and snorkeled before breakfast. Which my favorite breakfast was coconut bread french toast... mmmm...

Casa Iguana has a really cool Canadian chef named Kevin.... Man what that man can do for fish! Every dinner outdone the night's before. I did go to a Cuban restuarant down a bit from the dive shop. Twalia is the island historian (owner) and her husband cooks the best cuban pork and flambay lobster!

Little Corn Dive shop has the best PADI instructors. My dive master was Andrew. He was very professional considering the guy wears a skull & crossbone do-rag and has some braids in his beard! If ever you dive with him check out the bottom of his flippers! Andrew helped me in my advanced classes after 16 years of not diving he made it fun and comfortable. Audrey and Estaban were the other PADI instructors and they certainly have a good teamwork there. 'Rock-on Little Corn Island Dive Shop'!

Sam 'the fishing dude' is driven to catch that 7ft sailfish, kingfish, baracuda, etc. He is definitely in the zone when fishing with him. Always looked forward to see what everyone caught on their fishing trips with Sam. Almost always they come back with fish! Shows how good Sam is at being the 'fishing dude'. When there is a catch that day it does go to Casa Iguana to cook for the dinner. And yes, I think you should pay for the dinner, even if you did catch the fish. Worth having Kevin cook it....

I managed to meet Cathy and Grant while I was there. They are definitely wonderful people to meet. Environmentally friendly and I support that.

Electricity goes off at the crack of dawn and I always drank water from the sink with no problems. Bugs weren't all that bad.. even less than Texas.

One thing to remember while you are there.... UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO you find yourself in the village going back to Casa Iguana at night WITHOUT a flashlight!! Luckily in the pitch black an islander found me and brought me straight to Casa Iguana.

I never was mugged or felt in danger of being mugged. I saw the Police there so I think things have changed since the last person who was mugged there.

I managed to see also the Corn Island baseball series. Yeap.. they play baseball seriously and a scout should definitely check a few of these players.. Man they were good!

I will definitely take my teenage sons there next year. For sure.

It reminds me of the summer camps.. if you can get past not having electricty, tv, phones 24/7 then by all means go! Especially if you grew up loving summer camps!

I meet some incredibly wonderful people both locals and those on contract to work at Casa Iguana.

They say.. plant your toe in the sand and in a short while it will grow another... That is so true...

I have planted my toe and great memories have sprouted!

Thanks Casa Iguana and Little Corn Island Dive shop!

Lizzie

• Liked — Location and environmentally friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — need more casita's like the Grand Casita
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't forget to keep flashlight on you at all times! Maybe even a backup one won't hurt
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
11 Thank Lizzie-n-Texas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 14 August 2006

I have been to Little Corn and stayed at Casa Iguana two times. I like to step out of my boundaries. I didn't know how I was going to make it a week the first time as I could only wash 4 inches at a time because the water was so cold. But two days later I was wondering why I ever thought it was cold!! We had a great casita-I loved that the bed was even with the window and I could open my eyes and watch the moon, clouds and sunrise.

I had the best night dive of my life on a dive site called Golf Course. Imagine lightening north and south, full moon overhead and the most dazzling phospherous display ever- the entire reef glowed green.

Every experience is what you bring to it.

• Liked — The view from the bed
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Littlepup0
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 June 2006

My whole family went and stayed with Iguana and we werent impressed with the housing or meals but they had a spectacular dive shop. They were very organized and prepared; but the actual dives werent amazing. The locals throw out lobster cages and they have dammaged the reefs fairly badly. There are some dives with a lot of sharks and rays but there is hardly any pretty coral or fish. If you like fish its a great place to stay because that is pretty much all you will eat. The casitas are hot and bug covered and solar powered so its not at all modernized but it is beautiful.

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sonoma County, California
Reviewed 6 June 2006

Yes, there are insects in the tropics, and no the Iguana isn't pretending to be the Ritz Calrton. The accomodations were unpretentious, clean and pleasant. I loved my platform bed that was high enough to catch the ocean breezes blowing through the window. The staff was warm and helpful, the food fresh and delicious. Did I mention the killer Mojiitos? The location can't be beat.

• Stayed May 2006
11 Thank rmctraveller
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 April 2006

My husband and I stayed at Casa Iguana because we had heard such lovely comments about Little Corn Island from a friend. We paid a premium price of US$70 per night for the privelidge of being, wet,hot, and miserable for 2 days before deciding we'd had quite enough and headed out. The island itself is lovely...although quite poor and dirty. Casa Iguana is really strictly for "backpackers" who don't mind not having any modern facilities at all and basically having just a roof over their heads. I think we would have been better off camping. Had we only paid US$25 it may have been acceptable, but for the price we paid I would at least expect clean dry sheets and maybe a fan.

• Stayed May 2005
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Reviewed 11 March 2006

My boyfriend and I had a really great time on Little Corn Island. It was all so romantic; it felt like we had been marooned on a tropical island with only fruit, rum, cards and snorkel gear to entertain ourselves (pity!)! And staying at Casa Iguana was perfect. It was "island luxury," with fresh, running well water that's drinkable. Hammocks and a constant breeze brought sleep easily. They have thick, nice mattresses and clean sheets and towels and everything (yes, all the windows had screens). Some other reviews of the hotel said electricity was turned off, but that's not the case; it's on all night and only gets turned off for maybe a couple of hours during the day to conserve because the hotel uses wind and solar energy (cool!). And if the staff there was rude in the past, then there have definitely been changes because the chefs, housekeepers, managers and everyone was SO FRIENDLY and helpful. They made me vegetarian dinners that were delicious using fresh vegetables out of their large garden and took the time to give out tons of advice about where to snorkel. Anyways, I read some of the previous reviews about how horrible Casa Iguana is, and I just wanted to set the record straight---or maybe it's just as well that some types of people find it so awful because the entire island is a WELL KEPT SECRET!!! Thank you Casa Iguana, a unique jewel in the world.

• Stayed February 2006
14 Thank HBOMBHAWAII
New York, NY
Reviewed 9 March 2006

I can't speak for the $25 a night cabins, but the Deluxe Casita we stayed in at Casa Iguana was beautiful and the setting was hands down the best I have ever woken up to. I opened my porch door to the Caribbean every morning. Having air-conditioning would be ridiculous as there is a constant (yes, constant) cool breeze coming in off the water. It's awesome. The place outside of that seemed to be very well maintained and the staff were very helpful (Chelsea is the manager we dealt with and she is fantastic). As for earlier reviews talking about that place Hotel Delphines, I would imagine those were either written by that establishment's proprietors or someone who probably should have done a little more research on Little Corn before heading there. The leeward side of the island (where that is located) is very hot and the mosquitoes make themselves known. The windward side is much more comfortable and the beaches are the only one's outside of those on the northern tip worth spending time on. Also, my girlfriend and I ate a meal there and it was the only bad meal I had on the entire trip. I ordered lobster Caribe and they managed to ruin two perfectly good lobster tails by drowning them in milk and onions (yuck). The side of soggy fries and the florescent lighting probably didn't help my opinion. That said, if you don't want to pay a lot to stay in a place that is essentially paradise and can live without TV, I could not recommend Casa Iguana more (at least Casita #5). Little Corn is definitely worth it. I'm none too pleased to be back home.

• Stayed March 2006
Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa
Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa
#2 of 7 in Little Corn Island
Las Palmeras Beachfront Boutique Hotel
Las Palmeras Beachfront Boutique...
#4 of 7 in Little Corn Island
#5 of 7 in Big Corn Island
La Princesa de la Isla
La Princesa de la Isla
#3 of 7 in Big Corn Island

Been to Casa Iguana? Share your experiences!