“Stunning, but a long walk from the main part of the island”
Review of Ensuenos

Ensuenos
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

We took one of the casas which was $70 a night. It had a kitchen, 2 double beds, table outside and inside, and an open outside bathroom. It was absolutely beautiful. The beaches around ensuenos are undoubtedly the best on the island, so when we stayed we didnt leave here, but we only stayed for 2 days. Its a huge location, you could get lost walking round the beautiful place. Beach hammocks, pretty huts, palm trees, you name it. It is truly magical.
The problem we had was the fact it was a 30 minute walk from the main bars/restaurants, and its HOT, so we didn't venture out much. Their food was pricey, $20 for dinner, which is why we chose a room with a kitchen, but come with food as again walking back and forth is a pain in the heat.
We expected to be able to find a lot of fish on the island to be able to cook, but that wasnt the case, I think it all goes to the hotels, and you can only get it on certain days.
I read one of their books, and the wife of the owner came up to me and informed me it was their book, like I would steal it, which really made me feel uncomfortable, as I am not a thief. I didnt feel she was overly friendly, but the male owner is lovely, chilled out and helpful. I would 100% recommend this place if you want to splash out on paradise.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Justiney88

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Ensuenos has the best beach on Little Corn Island. It is beautiful. We had booked for two nights but only stayed for 1 due to a storm, a flight to catch, and an exceptionally uncomfortable bed in Roca cabin. I'm not stoked on this place after our first visit but I would go back and try a different cabin in the future. This place is a paradise for some and, well, much less for others. There is a very chill, zen vibe about Ensuenos that can be comforting and relaxing, or frustrating depending on the visitor. Ra is a very peaceful man who is quite pleasant, though also frequently absent and hard to find and not keen to engage a great deal of questions. The buildings are interesting and cool, though not always developed for usefulness and practicality. This is not a place to come, get drunk and party on the beach. This is a place to come, relax, disconnect from technology, and reconnect with yourself and nature. My final impression is that this place is not developed as a top of the line place in regards to service (the food was great though), it is a calm and peaceful place to come, relax and (dis)connect... it's more about a way of life than being a hotel/hostel providing services. If that is what you are looking for this is your place. If you want to drink and dance and party there are other place on the island that are more suited to that.

- The walk to 'town' takes about 20 minutes and is a beautiful walk. If it rains it will be slippery because it is on a trail through the jungle / forest for the first 15 minutes.

- The dogs were nothing but cute sucks while we were there.

Room Tip: I don't recommend the Roca cabin, especially during high season when they ask $40 per night. Th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Matty H
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We have visited twice and stayed at Ensuenos the second time. It has first, the most beautiful beach on the island and one can snorkle maybe two hundred yards to a reef. With another reef beyond. We saw all the fish there we could see after many dives in the area. We took breakfast and some dinners and they were excellent. It is a walk to the village and is for the more adventurous. If you are looking for US and European Holiday Inn experience, good luck on Little Corn. Ensuenos is quiet,private and friendly. the island is one of the best diving bargains. Plan on walking the whole island and tasting some of the restaurants as well.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bigroy1
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Ensuenos is a magical place where you can truly experience nature, solitude, privacy, and one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Directly in front of our cabin was a snorkeling paradise with a colorful coral and a variety of caribbean fish. Each cabin was unique, rustic, natural, and beautiful with separation from the other cabins for privacy. Every night the chef prepared a spectacular three course meal with fresh local fish and vegetables grown in the garden. This is really a great place if you want to get away from it all, and relax in a hammock looking out over the caribbean sea in natural peaceful environment. This is a one of a kind magical place.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ndogo M
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I've never found a place similar to Ensueños. It's so beautiful, peaceful and natural. You are surrounded by little pieces of art, creativity and very wonderful people. The facilities are basic and in perfect harmony with nature. The kitchen is great and the food is prepared with love every day. It's a place where you can come to rest. You'll return home recharged and inspired.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2013

IMPORTANT: If you are looking for a tourist-resort experience just don't stay here. However, if you are an independent person that wants to enjoy one of the last pristine beaches in the Caribbean this is the perfect place.

I was here with my girlfriend for a whole week and WE LOVED IT! The location is amazing, the best in the island by far. You have to walk for about 20 minutes to get here from the village but we enjoyed our walks through the forest. We stayed at the concrete house that is by the forest. It has a kitchen and plates, pots and cutlery. A nice bed and a roof to hang out and watch the sunsets. There is no electricity and hence no refrigerator but we bought fresh produces almost on daily basis. The bathroom is outdoors, which I loved. We ate several times at the restaurant and food was always very good, a bit expensive though. A very nice thing to do is to buy fresh fish from the fisherman (about 1-2 $ a pound) a grilled it. There is a grill available nearby the restaurant. We also got coconuts from the palms every morning. There was hardly anybody in the beach (which we love) and we did a lot of snorkeling. Also, one night we had a huge fire on the beach.

In other words, this is a place where you could leave in a very simple, rustic and beautiful way. This means that you have to deal with mosquitoes, walk to get your food, having candles instead of electricity, working a wheel to get water, there is no room service, cold piña coladas 24 hours at the bar by the swim pool or a server at your disposition. But you'll be very, very peaceful and relax. You'll learn how to get, open and eat a coconut from the palm tree, which of the nearby coral reefs has more fish or nurse sharks, and grill your yellow tails to perfection.

I have read some people complaining about Ramon, the owner. I cannot evaluate other peoples experiences but I had absolutely no problem with him. He is an independent person that lives there all year around and is not there to serve you but he was always very helpful and nice when I approached him with my requests. He let me grill my fish, eat his coconuts, lend me his tools to fix my snorkeling gear, let me do a fire by the beach.

I have travelled to more than 30 countries but this is the place that my girlfriend and I fantasize to come back all the time.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lou W
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Ensueños is a lovely place far off the beaten tourist path. That said; don’t expect a lot of luxuries because what you are really paying for is access to one of the most beautiful places in Central America. Ramon, the proprietor had created a lovely compound to “rough it easy” and become one with nature. We were there in July and stayed in a wooden cabin with a small kitchen and an outside shower. We would wake up in the morning and pick up enough mangoes and avocados to fill a grocery bag and snack on throughout the day. These had fallen from the trees around our cabin overnight. Because we were on a budget we bought supplies in the small town and cooked many of our meals in our small kitchenette. We also made it a habit of taking a walk through the jungle into town and have some delicious lobster or fish for under $10 dollars in the local eateries. If you want air-conditioning and cable TV stay in town but if you want to really escape, spend your days laying in a hammock under a palm tree reading a novel, dipping in the crystal blue Caribbean, sunning yourself on soft white sand, snorkeling the coral reefs and getting away from the tourist crowd… this is the place to be! I have heard it is a little more expensive than when I was there but if you are looking for paradise and are willing to ‘rough it easy’ ….it is worth the price.

Room Tip: Ask for the little wooden cabin..
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
#3 of 7 in Big Corn Island
Hotel Bellavista
Hotel Bellavista
#5 of 7 in Big Corn Island

Been to Ensuenos? Share your experiences!