“Only of the TOUR!!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Matagalpa
Selva Negra Mountain Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 11 February 2014

After seeing the price at other tour companies in town, 70$ per person, I sought out other options. My wife and I took the tour of Selva Negra and it was great at, 20$, per person. The tour guide Hines the property intimately and had answers for every question I could think of. Also the time of the tour was perfect at about 3 hrs. I don't see what more I could have learned at that point. There was a tasting and a walk through of the entire coffee making process. They also offer bird watching, nature, and farm walks. I would highly recommend this option over using a tour group.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Selva Negra Mountain Resort

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Maybe the regular cook took the day off, the day I was there or they really need to work on their cooking skills ,my sandwich was one of the worst I have ever eaten ,my orange drink had a funny after taste, like old oranges going bad ,my friend ordered a chicken breast that was dry ,it took over an hour to get our lunch and the place was 50% full ,the waiter kept looking the other way when he was taking our order ,but when it was time to pay he was looking at us like a hawk ,I understand their food is organic ,but organic food should taste good not bad.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
KHKuhl01, General Manager at Selva Negra Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thanks for spending some of your vacation time at Selva Negra and for taking the time to provide us with some feedback.

I am sorry to hear that your meal at our restaurant was not up to your expectations. Our sandwiches and hamburgers are some of our most popular dishes and generally receive positive reviews from our customers. I would have expected that when you brought your displeasure with your meal up to our staff we would have addressed the situation properly.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

…the accommodation was not so great. I got bit by bed bugs, i think. But everything else is great. Pretty surroundings and great food. The menu is inspired by German dishes and restaurant has a nice view of the lake.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for spending some of your vacation time with us at Selva Negra and for taking the time to provide us with some feedback. I am sorry to hear that you received a number of insect bites while staying with us. I do want to say right off that we do not have bed bugs at our hotel.

We are a resort tucked into a tropical rainforest that strives to live as sustainably as possible and therefore we have a large variety of nature that is all around us, including a variety of insects.  This provides a truly wonderful place to vacation and really experience nature.  This natural environment does include biting insects and a few other less than pleasant things. However, we do not have bed bugs in any of our lodgings.  I believe the main confusion with bed bugs is that we have insects that live in the mountain that will bite you and the resulting bite will look similar to a bed bug bite.  You will not feel the bite and they tend to bite you around the edges of your clothes, e.g. ankles, wrists, waist.  It is fairly common to not notice these bites until the next morning when they start to itch and are therefore mistaken for bites from bed bugs.  A large percentage of our guests never experience this, but the common experience with these bites is when people are hiking in the mountain and wander off of the trail.  These bites do linger for a while and can be a bit bothersome.

We are continuing to check our cabins regularly for these insects along with any other pests.  It is always a challenge for us because we strive very hard to live in harmony with nature and not treat things with pesticides unless absolutely required.  But with constant monitoring we are able to properly manage our guests comfort and safety in balance with the protection of the environment.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our natural environment and our delicious german inspired dishes as well as our lake view. I hope that you will get a chance to return to Selva Negra again in the future.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

This is a beautiful spot...a real gem in the Cloud Forest. Great birding. Nice hiking. The best of all is that they are environmentally conscious. We could all learn from what they do. They make use of absolutely everything. Definitly do the Farm Tour. It was incredibly interesting and informative. Our Guide did a great job of explaining how they pick and process the coffee. He was also very knowledgeable when it came to birding and identifying the trees and plants. We got to meet the Manager of the hotel, Don and he was most helpful. We went out birding on our own one day and he not only let us borrow a bird book but was so interested in what we were seeing, he came with us! Food was very good. Cabins were just perfect in this location, with plants and moss growing on the roof! Very quaint. They were roomy and very comfortable.

Room Tip: definitely choose one of the cabins
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2014

The values and environmentally sensitive ideology of Selva Negra's farm and coffee business are to be commended, and make this worth a short (1-2 day) trip. Execution of their hospitality business wasn't up to the same high standard. The owners of the farm were wonderful and it was inspiring to hear their story of the place, but somehow the experience itself didn't compare with the vision. With the availability of such fresh organic produce and meat from their farm, the food served in the restaurant is disappointing (farm to table gone awry), overpriced, and painfully slow. Many items on the small menu were not regularly available. On one evening, we ordered our dinner ten minutes prior to a large tour group being seated, and then watched hugrily with our neighboring tables as they ordered, received their food and finished eating before any of our appetizers (a cheese plate and bowls of soup) even arrived. Our meal that evening was a two and a half hour long comedy or errors (the food coming at the end) climaxing with the tour group ordering every piece of cake available. The rooms are damp and spartan, and the freezing cold showers (solar energy not working...) were disappointing, considering the promises that they would be hot. The trails are beautiful, yet badly marked, but worth doing to explore this area of Nicaragua. With the right expectations, this can be a worthwhile Northern adventure.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for spending some of your time at Selva Negra and for taking the time to provide us with your thoughts on how to improve. It is through customer comments that we can truly understand the wants and needs of our guests.

I am not sure of the exact situation regarding the tour group that came in after you ordered but it is common for large tour groups to have ordered their meals in advance, quite often arranged several days ahead of time. This allows our kitchen to better prepare for a large group of people that all want to eat at the same time. I suspect that this may help to explain why the group was served before you. However, it should not have happened that your food took so long, especially your appetizers. Your entire dining experience from taking your order to delivering of your food to the delivering of your check should have been standard and not delayed. We are continuing to work to improve the service in our restaurant with both our waiters and with the efficiency of our kitchen. It can be a challenge for us to juggle the needs of a large group and the individual needs of our guests in the restaurant. I am confident with continued training of our staff and monitoring we are up to the challenge.

Regarding our lodging, I am sorry to hear that you were not able to have a hot shower. Our solar water heaters are one of the highlights of many of our guests and they really enjoy knowing their hot shower is heated by only the sun. Like all things, we do experience problems with our equipment and installations from time to time. I would have expected that when you informed our staff of the lack of hot water our maintenance staff would have checked into it no later than the next morning to ensure that the system was functioning properly.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our hiking trails. Spending some quality time in the forest is truly a wonderful experience. We are continuing to try new and different materials for our trail signs. Here in the rainforest where things are so damp most materials rot or rust very quickly. Before going on a hike in our mountain guests are always encouraged to pick up a complimentary trail map at the front desk.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I have traveled to Selva Negra three times, twice on day trips from Jinotega and more recently to spend the night. I have always enjoyed the food at the restaurant and walking the trails. On my most recent trip, I spent the night in one of the duplexes (not sure what the official name is for the accommodation - it wasn't a chalet) because I wanted to wake up in the mountains. The next day, while still at the resort, I started scratching at insect bites on my body. My friend also had them on his body. I came to find out quite soon that they were bed bug bites (and this was confirmed by one of the resort workers). Those bites continued to fester on my body for many more days, even after returning to the US. The bright red eruptions (like big itchy pimples) swelled up and oozed fluid. I counted over 12 on my legs, stomach, and waist. I will continue to visit the resort for day trips, but will never again sleep in their accommodations.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for spending some of your time with us at Selva Negra and for taking some of your valuable time to provide us with a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that you received a number of insect bites while staying with us. I do want to say that we do not have bed bugs in our hotel.

We are a resort tucked into a tropical rainforest that strives to live as sustainably as possible and therefore we have a large variety of nature that is all around us, including a variety of insects.  This provides a truly wonderful place to vacation and really experience nature.  This natural environment does include biting insects and a few other less than pleasant things. However, we do not have bed bugs in any of our lodgings.  I believe the main confusion with bed bugs is that we have insects that live in the mountain that will bite you and the resulting bite will look similar to a bed bug bite, exactly as you described in your review.  You will not feel the bite and they tend to bite you around the edges of your clothes, e.g. ankles, wrists, waist.  It is fairly common to not notice these bites until the next morning when they start to itch and are therefore mistaken for bites from bed bugs.  A large percentage of our guests never experience this, but the common experience with these bites is when people are hiking in the mountain and wander off of the trail.  These bites do linger for a while and can be a bit bothersome. Regarding the confirmation of the insects by one of our workers, our workers know that we have many insects here all around us including some native species that look quite a bit like a bed bug.

We continue to check our cabins regularly for these insects along with any other pests and deal with any issues that arise. It is always a challenge for us because we strive very hard to live in harmony with nature and not treat things with pesticides unless absolutely required. But with constant monitoring we are able to properly manage our guests comfort and safety in balance with the protection of the environment.

Hopefully you will return to Selva Negra in the future and will give us another opportunity to show you all of the wonders of our natural paradise.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Selva Negra is an interesting place. Avoid room D1!! We had booked (or so I thought) two rooms. One for my sister, her husband and their daughter and one for my husband and me. I had also indicated in my communication that a 2 bedroom cabin would work as well. When we arrived they had put all 5 of us in one room. And it was not a nice, renovated room. It was dark, cramped and loud. The beds were outrageously hard and uncomfortable. It was right after Christmas and it was a mob-scene. It was all they had available so we stayed there but it was not ideal and not what we thought we'd signed up for. It was not charming, clean or pleasant in any way. We looked longingly into other renovated rooms and sat on the terrace of a lovely renovated bungalow to bird watch.

The bird watching was great. We saw lots of interesting species and a really wide diversity. Some highlight included emerald toucanettes, and a violet sabre-wing hummingbird (one of the largest hummingbird species in central America). There were incredible numbers of brightly colored tanagers of all kinds and some interesting woodpeckers and other things. We got up at 6AM every day (since we couldn't sleep in our incredibly uncomfortable room anyway) and went out and watched the birds (and agoutis). So that part was great.

Also great was the farm tour. Our tour guide was super and very well informed about the plants and animals (he knew lots of birds too). His English was great and learning about the farm was fascinating. It was well worth the money. The other tours seemed steep price-wise so we didn't bother.

The grounds are nice. We hiked the steep and muddy trails. We liked the orchid garden and the chapel. All very pretty and interesting. Some great views of the coffee plantation, Matagalpa and the surrounding mountains.

Avoid the restaurant on weekends! (although you can't avoid it since it's the only option). It was complete chaos with literally hundreds of day trippers from Matagalpa and/or Managua who had come up for a trip to the jungle. The buffet (overpriced and under-whelming) was packed from 10AM through dinner. As noted by other travelers, the dining scene leaves something to be desired with inconsistent food quality and service though we actually liked our server and felt we developed something of a rapport with her.

Overall though, it's quite a lovely place and I think their efforts at sustainability should be applauded. Just don't stay in room D1.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for spending some of your vacation time with us at Selva Negra and for taking time to provide us with feedback on your stay.

I am sorry to hear about the mix up with your reservation. That should not have happened. We have a variety of lodging options that cater to different tastes and budgets and it would seem in this case that you were not matched up with the proper option. When registering via the website, please understand the form on the website is a request form and is not a confirmed reservation until you receive an email from our staff confirming the specific lodging option reserved for you. Christmas is a very busy time for us because many Nicaraguan families come up to the North for the holiday week. This can be a great experience for guests to be able to experience some authentic Nicaraguan culture. However, if one is expecting a relaxing time in the quiet of the rainforest I can understand how a large number of Nicaraguan families might upset that.

I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed the wonders of our bird watching and the farm tour. They are two of the highlights of many of our guests. The birds in our rainforest are very inspiring. And the many efforts we make to live sustainably can be inspiring in a different way. Many of our guests enjoy both of those tours, as well as our others.

When the hotel is full this naturally leads to the restaurant being full with quite a bit of commotion occurring during the height of lunch and dinner. In addition to this, during the Christmas holiday there are a greater number of people at the hotel because of the larger number of people that are not working. We strive to ensure that all of our restaurant guests have an enjoyable experience whether the restaurant is empty or full.

Thanks again for staying with us. Hopefully you will decide to return in the future to Selva Negra and we can ensure that you stay in one of our remodeled cabins and enjoy everything about Selva Negra.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Matagalpa
La Buena Onda
Finca Esperanza Verde
Hostal Martina's Place
Hostal Martina's Place
#1 of 18 in Matagalpa

Been to Selva Negra Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!