“A very lucky find . . .”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of U Castille

U Castille
Ranked #14 of 106 Restaurants in Bonifacio
Good for: View, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Durham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A very lucky find . . .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My companion and I spotted the three course lunch menu for 19.9 euros while on a guided walk around Bonifacio a week or so ago and managed to re-trace our steps back to U Castille, where we were given a very warm welcome and seated on a small outdoor deck at the back, away from all the noise and hustle and bustle of the main street. The Bonifacio-style mussels were to die for, piping hot and generous servings, and the dory fish in red pepper sauce, served on a bed of rice, was equally delicious. The dessert of the day, a mango semifreddo, was the only choice for the last course, and it too was fabulous. We washed it all down with a jug of perfectly decent house wine. The waiter was rushed off his feet yet each course arrived in good time, and he had plenty of time for a bit of banter with us. Plus he was very good-looking and smiled a lot! A heavenly experience for a couple of ladies of a certain age, and this one will definitely be back for more, given half the chance, especially for lunch. Dinner could be a bit too pricey if I have to pay for myself!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Frugalgirl2013

Brooklyn, New York
“A Hassle to get a Fabulous Meal with a Fabulous View”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

This was one of the best meals I had during 3 weeks in France. The Bonifacio style mussels which are steamed in a white wine sauce and topped with a thicker tomato sauce plus cheese and gratineed, fantastic! We followed with local fish in a cream based saffron sauce over rice that was very, very flavorful. The dessert was a fresh strawberry semi freddo that was out of this world.

Our table had an unobstructed view over the cliffs and was spectacular. Note, I counted at least 4 separate rooms in 4 different buldings so make sure you know where you will be seated.

HOWEVER, we had much aggravation over a reservation that we were told they could not honor (!), arguing when they tried to seat on in their pizzeria instead of the restaurant, and then, when finally seated in the restaurant, being told we could not order their prix fixe meal (apparently this dining area was for only a la carte dining). After more haggling, we were served this divine meal and the service was fine.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank NJB1165
chicago
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stay away!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

I just returned from dining here and I am compelled to try and save someone from such a bad meal. I know great food...so you can trust my review and find a different restaurant. The fish soup was inexcusible, but even worse was the fish de jour and the boar stew. We didn't touch our dessert either which was something that resembled strawberry ice cream. So unfortunate, as every other meal in Corsica has been wonderful. Save yourselves!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank jackie m
“Great service, pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

While quite a long wait and expensive menu, the service was great and the food was good. I don't normally spend this much for a meal, and it didn't seem extra special, except the seafood was great quality. If you order a pizza, it is cheap and huge. All of the meals at our table were large portions.

• Visited August 2013
Warsaw, Poland
“Moules Bonifacio style”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Probably the best moules I have ever had in my life! Quite an expensive place but it was worth it. Strongly recommended!

• Visited August 2013