“Exceptional”
Review of Castle Durrow

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Durrow
Castle Durrow
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Durrow
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Exceptional”
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

I love this place. The food has always been fab, it doesn't matter if u are at a wedding or eating in the restaurant, the beef is always perfect. Love getting away here with a few friends, the staff are exceptional, the rooms in the main house are amazing.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kieran K
dear Kieran K,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of the castle.
I love my food and I love my beef.
We are lucky with all the suppliers that we have for our food, a lot of them are local businesses.
I think as well that , although the castle is such an amazingly grand building, the atmosphere is really relaxed and it is a great place to go to with some friends to relax , exercise yourself a little by walking in the gardens and have a few laughs in the bar .
Kindest Regards,
Shelly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Recently had the pleasure of attending a friends wedding at Castle Durrow - highly recommended.
The building itself is beautiful, with a lot of the original features & artwork still taking pride of place. The grounds are lovely, with an extensive garden & working stables onsite - definitely a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. One of the most notable elements of our stay was the staff - they couldn't have done any more for us. We only had an overnight stay, but we'll definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JohnBoyH3
dear JohnBoyH3,
Thank you so much for your review.
I want to mention how much we appreciate reviews, the time that people take to write about us !
its good that you had some time to yourselves to walk the gardens, It is nearly summer now and the gardens are particularly good this year.
I hope we can welcome you back for another time !
Kindest Regards,
Craigavon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Six of us went to the restaurant at Castle Durrow last night for dinner. Arriving late, we couldn't see the outside and were shown in to a cosy little bar, eating afterwards in a beautiful old drawing room: it was only afterwards that we realised the scale of the place and that there were a number of function rooms and bars within the building. Built in 1715, the building has been beautifully restored and maintained: while not all of the furnishings may be original, the decor has been exquisitely done and lends to a very comfortable luxurious dining experience.

The food was quite simply divine, a small set menu of about eight starters and mains, which left no one stuck for choice, and indeed, almost everyone was torn between at least two options. If the settings are traditional, the food is most definitely modern, tastefully presented, and locally sourced. No one was disappointed, and my steak was one of the best I have ever had: I am sad enough to own two Weber gas grills and a barbecue and like to think I know what I am talking about.

At 50 Euro a head including wine, this has been one of the dining highlights of the last year, and cannot be highly enough recommended!q

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Macklpa,
Thank you so much for your review.
I have been amiss in answering the reviews of all my guests due to my mum being ill, but now I am going back to answer my guest reviews!
It was wonderful to read your report and to realize that I am not the only one who thinks this building is so amazing and the whole feeling in the house is one of intimacy ( although it is huge !!)
I know it has been a while that you have been here , but I hope that you can find the time to travel again and come and visit the stunning gardens !!
Kind Regards,
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Love this place! We were made to feel so welcome on our return to the hotel. The staff all recognised us from our wedding last year and confirmed for us why we chose it in the first place. The staff here are so friendly and can't do enough to make your stay special. The hotel has just had a fantastic facelift and has really freshened it up nicely. Keep up the great work!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Incredible hotel, every detail is of the highest standard. Rooms are large and antique, yet filled with modern luxury toiletries.
Stayed for 3 nights for a wedding and the food was perfect every time - ate breakfast, lunch and dinner there every day.
The bar stays open as late as you want it, although the choice is slightly limited.
Surroundings are beautiful, perfect for photos.
All in all I would recommend it to anybody for a wedding!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ian N
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 December 2013

My (now) wife and I just got married in Castle Durrow and I can't say enough good things about it. Specifically Marie Laffan, their wedding coordinator, who, in spite of us living 17000km away managed to make sure there was no question unanswered and no stone left unturned. When we mentioned we were getting married in Castle Durrow everyone initially spoke about how great the staff were and they were spot on.The staff were great to us, from the first day we arrived, through our meal tasting and the day itself. The guests spoke about how great their rooms were and how good the food was and I agree 100%

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Cee S
Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at Castle Durrow recently,overall a wonderful stay,room was fantastic very old manor house style,four poster bed,beautiful timber floors etc. The food both for dinner and breakfast was excellent with service to match. A special word for Ollie behind the bar who adds a lot to the overall experience,funny and excellent at his job,a real asset. Lovely walks round the castle,overall fabulous !

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank b00b0
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durrow
Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Mount Juliet Estate
Mount Juliet Estate
#1 of 2 in Thomastown
Kilkenny River Court Hotel

Been to Castle Durrow? Share your experiences!