“Wedding party”
Review of Castle Durrow

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Durrow
Castle Durrow
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Durrow
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Booked a family suite in this converted country mansion which was built in the early 18th century. It is situated in rolling countryside with pleasant views and well kept gardens. Staff were attentive and friendly at all times and nothing was too much trouble. Accommodation was luxurious in a traditional manner which might not suit those used to the modern glass and concrete establishments but was ideal for the wedding party we attended. The wedding meal was very good and we particularily enjoyed the " Irish " breakfast. We would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a room in the main house rather than the outer buildings
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank richard w
shelly S, Owner at Castle Durrow, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

It was particularly helpful to me as I can explain the differences in the rooms !
There are 24 rooms in the main house, These rooms are occupied by our wedding guests as well as our Dinner Bed and Breakfast guests. Then we have the rooms in the Rose Courtyard, the Garden Rooms and the Stable Yard rooms, These rooms are mostly used by our wedding guests, They are outside the main building and this reflects in their pricing. We do find that in the summer a lot of our Diner Bed and Breakfast guests ask for the Courtyard rooms because they are situated in the fragrant Rose garden and overlooking the walled Garden.
I hope that we can welcome you again soon.
Kindest Regards, Shelly

Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our 20th anniversary. The service was wonderful, the castle grounds and gardens were beautiful...but the food was absolutely top notch. Creative, innovative, and really tasty! We had both dinner that evening and breakfast the next morning. I have to say that the breakfast was the best hotel breakfast I have ever had. Again...creative, innovative, and the taste was great. We will definitely be staying here again. And again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Terrilee777,
What can I say but, thank you that you have let us help you in celebrating your 20 year anniversary !!
I hope we can help you celebrate many more !
Please let me know the next time you come and we will look up your reservation and have a nice glass of bubbly waiting for you on arrival !
Kindest Regards, Shelly

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I spent two days here with my family for my sister's wedding and everything about it was perfect. The hotel itself is beautiful. Everything you could possibly need has been catered for. The rooms are incredible the food is amazing and the whole atmosphere is welcoming and comfortable. We were there with children (5 and 2 yrs) and at no point did we feel that the children were in the way or causing any inconvenience. They enjoyed running along the corridors, chasing the resident cats and playing football in the beautiful grounds which were so extensive and no one was disturbed. The in house playroom was also much enjoyed.

The two things that really impressed us about this hotel were the amazing breakfasts, so much fresh and tasty produce, and the staff. The staff were invisible when not directly needed but there instantly when you did need them. Everything ran like clockwork and appeared so effortless, real art.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough. I hVe never been anywhere like it, in summary it was comfort and class in perfect measures.

Room Tip: Family rooms offer parents the comfort of a separate room for children within the main room. Perfect...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Alex000000,
Thank you so much for your review.
I am real pleased to read that your kids enjoyed their time at the Castle and that you felt that they were welcome, because they were!
We have 4 girls ourselves , so I know what it is like to travel with kids. I want mine to stay with me, but not actually In the room, but real close by. I also like a nicely decorated room when I am away and not a nursery room!! So that is why I designed the family rooms. Parents are people as well !!!
I hope we will be able to welcome you again,

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I love this place. The food has always been fab, it doesn't matter if u are at a wedding or eating in the restaurant, the beef is always perfect. Love getting away here with a few friends, the staff are exceptional, the rooms in the main house are amazing.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kieran K

dear Kieran K,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of the castle.
I love my food and I love my beef.
We are lucky with all the suppliers that we have for our food, a lot of them are local businesses.
I think as well that , although the castle is such an amazingly grand building, the atmosphere is really relaxed and it is a great place to go to with some friends to relax , exercise yourself a little by walking in the gardens and have a few laughs in the bar .

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Recently had the pleasure of attending a friends wedding at Castle Durrow - highly recommended.
The building itself is beautiful, with a lot of the original features & artwork still taking pride of place. The grounds are lovely, with an extensive garden & working stables onsite - definitely a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. One of the most notable elements of our stay was the staff - they couldn't have done any more for us. We only had an overnight stay, but we'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JohnBoyH3

dear JohnBoyH3,
Thank you so much for your review.
I want to mention how much we appreciate reviews, the time that people take to write about us !
its good that you had some time to yourselves to walk the gardens, It is nearly summer now and the gardens are particularly good this year.
I hope we can welcome you back for another time !

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Six of us went to the restaurant at Castle Durrow last night for dinner. Arriving late, we couldn't see the outside and were shown in to a cosy little bar, eating afterwards in a beautiful old drawing room: it was only afterwards that we realised the scale of the place and that there were a number of function rooms and bars within the building. Built in 1715, the building has been beautifully restored and maintained: while not all of the furnishings may be original, the decor has been exquisitely done and lends to a very comfortable luxurious dining experience.

The food was quite simply divine, a small set menu of about eight starters and mains, which left no one stuck for choice, and indeed, almost everyone was torn between at least two options. If the settings are traditional, the food is most definitely modern, tastefully presented, and locally sourced. No one was disappointed, and my steak was one of the best I have ever had: I am sad enough to own two Weber gas grills and a barbecue and like to think I know what I am talking about.

At 50 Euro a head including wine, this has been one of the dining highlights of the last year, and cannot be highly enough recommended!q

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Macklpa,
Thank you so much for your review.
I have been amiss in answering the reviews of all my guests due to my mum being ill, but now I am going back to answer my guest reviews!
It was wonderful to read your report and to realize that I am not the only one who thinks this building is so amazing and the whole feeling in the house is one of intimacy ( although it is huge !!)
I know it has been a while that you have been here , but I hope that you can find the time to travel again and come and visit the stunning gardens !!
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Love this place! We were made to feel so welcome on our return to the hotel. The staff all recognised us from our wedding last year and confirmed for us why we chose it in the first place. The staff here are so friendly and can't do enough to make your stay special. The hotel has just had a fantastic facelift and has really freshened it up nicely. Keep up the great work!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durrow
The Heritage Killenard
Springhill Court Conference, Leisure & Spa Hotel
Mount Juliet Estate
Mount Juliet Estate
#1 of 2 in Thomastown

Been to Castle Durrow? Share your experiences!