“Nice hotel, needs some improvement”

Grand Hotel Resort Ma&Ma
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in La Maddalena
Oslo
“Nice hotel, needs some improvement”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for 12 nights. The staff were friendly (the consierge was extremely helpful), the hotel is clean and nice and the spa is very good. The rooms are also very nice.

However, there was a couple of things that should have been better (this might have been redempted at this point, taking into account that we stayed there during the opening year):

1. The food and drinks at the hotel is steeply over prized, we ended up eating in town every night apart from the first two (the food is much better at local restaurants in town)
2. The breakfast did only offer a few selections of food. It did not seem well organised
3. The staff speaked poorly english
4. The beds are very hard, with no option to change the maddrasses etc.
5. The pool area is very small, with only one pool. We discovered quickly that children families did not oblige to the the rules at the pool (no diving etc.) and the staff did not say anything to them. A noicy and not so relaxing experience.

Over all, the price/value ratio could have been much better.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Andreas L
GHResortMaeMa, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Grand Hotel Resort Ma&Ma, responded to this review, 2 December 2014
Dear Andreas L,

Thank you for choosing the Grand Hotel Ma&Ma and for taking your time to
post your detailed review.
We do appreciate your feedback and we will definitely try our best to improve all the directions of the hotel management and in operations departments following our guests suggestions.

Best Regards,

Rosalba

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed here for 1 week with our 2 year old daughter. The hotel is not really near anything and doesn't look very impressive from the outside. However inside it appears new and all of the decor is nice and modern. The reception area is beautiful, and staff there were extremely friendly and helpful. We had been under the impression that the hotel is close to a beach, although it is some distance from the sea, and there is no real beach to speak of. The pool area is tiny, and the water was freezing so we couldn't use this much at all. Being 1.4m deep, without any shallow areas, it is very unsuitable for young children anyway.
We had a family room which was lovely, and again very modern, but we had a view looking out over a building. I don't think any of the rooms had much of a view of anything, which is disappointing. Another issue for us was that on 3 occasions we had the do not disturb sign on the door so that housekeeping would not disturb and on all 3 occasions this was completely ignored. The spa was great, although we were given a discount voucher for this on arrival which i was then told had expired by the following day. So really, what was the point?
Meals were generally good. There was very little ambience in the dining area and younger staff did seem very inexperienced in comparison with other 5 star hotels we have stayed in. On our final night there was a gala dinner which we had to attend as part of the half board option. We were told that we had to be there for 7.30pm. We waited until 9.30 before our meal began to arrive. Not easy with a 2 year old. We had to leave before the main course as it was getting so late. A complete disaster. In summary, I would definitely avoid this hotel with kids of any age, and if you are looking for a true 5 star experience maybe go elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie M
GHResortMaeMa, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Grand Hotel Resort Ma&Ma, responded to this review, 3 December 2014
Dear Julie M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following your stay at the Grand Hotel Ma&Ma.
It is disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with restaurant service during the Gala Dinner but it was a special event with the presentation of local food and typical Sardinian products followed then with the 4 courses meal that’s why it took a little bit more time then usually did.
Thank you for your compliments regarding the modern decor and friendly and helpful staff, and it is good to see that, despite your disappointment, you did appreciate it.

Sardinia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed here for 4 days during an event sponsored by a multi national.
Rooms; elegant and tasteful. Complete with all amenities and comforts of this level of hotel. Absolutely spotlessly clean and that little bit extra that makes the difference….the chambermaid remembered which side of the bed I sleep on when the room was prepared for the night. Another plus was a really good WiFi signal in the room (by the way it’s free).
Bathroom; huge shower room, fantastic courtesy line and a huge plus for me a decent hairdryer. Here also spotlessly clean and re-set twice a day
Dinning; breakfast has a really good buffet both sweet and salted and the staff under an ever attentive Maitre d’ are quick to pick up on clients needs, likes and dislikes. On my second morning I didn’t even need to ask for my coffee it was brought to my table by a smiling waitress. I really like that at both breakfast and dinner you can choose to eat in the restaurant or pool side.
Reception; first impressions always count and here the hotel shines. The staff are friendly smiling and extremely helpful. I noticed that the same care an attention was given to both group and individual clients (in a few 5* hotels I’ve stayed in, staff tend to look down their noses and intimidate members of group bookings).
Spa; top class facility with all that you could possible need. The massage I had was heaven.
Management; the owner management is very much hands on, always ready with a quick response and decision, it makes for the smooth running of the hotel and is very reassuring. During the event I was there for everything was done to make it a success. They really do go that extra mile for you.
In general; the hotel is a bit too far from the town to walk but the concierge is always available to call you a reasonably priced taxi, help you rent a car or scooter. There are some beaches nearby that are within walking distance but for the most spectacular on the island you do need transport to reach.
I was very impressed with this hotel and highly recommend it for both leisure and business guests. It’s a fantastic location for corporate meetings and I would willing stay as a leisure guest

Room Tip: for a sea view you need to be on the upper floors
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank BritExpat_65
Dear BritExpat,

It was such a pleasure to read your review,

We are delighted you chose Grand Hotel Ma&Ma for an event sponsored by a multi national that was taken place in la Maddalena.

Thank you for writing about your experience, I look forward to welcoming you back very soon
"as a leisure guest"and hope to meet you when you return.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We spent a week and I must say I was satisfied overall.
The staff is very helpful and ready to provide useful tips on the island's beaches.
I was also satisfied by the experience at the SPA where we had good treatments and an excellent massage.
Rooms were cleaned tiwice a day.
Breakfast was ok but my perception was that sometimes croissants were
not prepared the same day.
Why a very good and not an excellent rating ?
I see two minor issues:
1 - our room looked more like a single than a double room;
2 - the wifi cmonnection sometimes was slow in the room or even not woking.
Overall a good staying, I would recommend Ma&Ma.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Etruscus
Dear Etruscus,

Thank you for choosing the Grand Hotel Ma&Ma and for taking the time to
post your kind review. We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you
again soon.

Best Regards
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This Hotel calls itself "Grand Hotel Resort" and is flagged as a 5 stars. You'd expect the "crème de la crème" but no ! Let face it: It's miles away !! A shame, because many problems could be relatively "easily" fixed.

I will not focus so much on the positive points as you this should be the basic equipment of any 5*Hotel. This equipment includes the presence of quality furnishings, nice and spacious bathroom (but why is there no vent ?!), multi-layer curtains, room safe, good-sizes flatscreen TV (but why are 1/2 of the channels not working ?!), quality bath gel, hair conditioner and shampoo, robes and slippers for the SPA etc..

I will focus on the negative points which are not negligeable and frankly, unacceptable for an Hotel that aims to be a 5* Hotel:

- Our room was not serviced when we came back in the evening ?!), despite the fact that there was no "no-distrub" sign. Asking the reception if we could have the room serviced, lead to a discussion why it might not have been serviced and that we missed the morning service. No, no. no.. ! Every 5* Hotel I've been been too had a permanent 24/24hr service that would service your room at *your* request, even if it was 4am in the morning.

- The Staff !!! With the exception of a female receptionist that was up to the level of what you'd expect for such an Hotel (I'd have removed 1 more star if she hadn't been there), the remaining staff left a lot to be desired. And that starts with communication.. in English.

Dear Management: If you're flagging yourself with 5*, then you're targetting an *international* clientele that expects out-of-the ordinary service and that service is ruined if you cannot communicate with the Staff. Fluent conversation in English is a MUST (more languages would be a +).. and that must be at every level: From room service, to the SPA (ouch!) ... to the Dining Room:

Talking about the Dining Room: A 5* Hotel should offer a 5* Dining experience but how is that possible if you cannot communicate fluently with the staff in English ?!?

On top of that:

- How come that when you ask for recommendation on wine, that the waitor cannot present you a list of wines .. because the wine card has not yet been printed out ?!? This is totally unacceptable.

- How come that after a painful "english" conversation about what wine to choose, the waitor then comes back to tell you that there's now a problem because .. there's no bottle left ?!

- Additionally: Staff inside the Dining Room was often loudly talking to each other and regularly gave you an impression that chaos had broken out between them.

- At 10pm, Staff was already disassembling "dining decoration" for "breakfast decoration" in front of us while we were still eating.. ?!

- Breakfast: Selection is far too basic. Just presenting a choice of 2 or 3 breads is not good enough. Worse: On day 1, we were among the last people to take breakfast and I took cereals. Almost none left. On day 2, we were the 1st people to take breakast, and I could see that my favourite cereals had not even be refilled since previous day. Again, not paying attention to details is a no-go for a 5* Hotel.

About the Hotel itself:

- We had a room on the Ground Floor, with a nice balcony at the end.. with cars parked in front of it and people walking in front of your window. Again, great experience for a 5* Hotel (I am being ironic).

- The Aircon: Now that's something I've never seen before. The room was a sauna because the aircon was set to 26C (!!).. and no way to lower it below 24C. We switched it off (because it's very noisy too) and had to open the door window of the room. Problem: No privacy as people walked in front of your room and everybody could have jumped onto the balcony and walk into the room. You could not even flip the window.

I could go on with my list .. but I will stop there.

Room Tip: Avoid ground-floor rooms .. if you want some privacy.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank OCH_10
GHResortMaeMa, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Grand Hotel Resort Ma&Ma, responded to this review, 4 December 2014
Dear OCH_10,

Thank you for choosing the Grand Hotel Ma&Ma and for taking the time to
post your detailed review.
What a pity that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for not delivering the high standards of service that you have come to expect from our hotel. I have discussed your comments with our GM and with the Departmental Managers concerned, and our GM has personally followed up to ensure that the appropriate corrective actions are immediately taken.
Once again, please accept our thanks for taking the time to advise us of your comments. Hopefully you will notice the difference in quality and service during your next stay with us.

Yours sincerely,

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

First thing to know about Grand Hotel Ma&ma is Olga!
From the first to the last minute Olga made our stay even more pleasant and welcoming. I went with my wife to Ma&Ma as soon as we arrive at La Maddalena island after a trip all around Sardinia. And it was the best choice we could ever made. The hotel is really comfortable and even more familiar than it appear on the pictures. Brand new! With only a few small details to adjust like a drainage from the bath. All looks and is very good for the standard room were we stay from the amenities to the perfumed towels and bathrobes (already missing the smell of Acqua di Parma).
The gym and Spa have fantastic conditions although the water temperature for the internal pool could be a bit warmer.
The restaurant is great as their staff. All the food is really good and well made, but some things are too expensive like water. The breakfast is very good with all that you need for a breakfast with quality food. if it is a sunny day you can have it outside near the pool :).
So its a very charming small hotel with all the conditions for a perfect stay and get to know all the surrounding islands and unforgettable beach's.
All the staff is very nice and Don't forget Olga the young lady with the beautiful and welcoming smile at the reception! With all the good tips for you to know and love La Maddalena as she does!
Coming back for sure as soon as we can!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Paulo P
Dear Paulo P,

Thank you for sharing a fabulous review of our Hotel.

It gives us such great pleasure to learn that everything ensured that you had pleasant and comfortable stay. Our team members aim to ensure that guests are cared for, valued and respected at all time and we are very pleased to hear that our goal was achieved. I will ensure that your kind comments are passed onto the colleagues mentioned.
Once again, thank you very much for your positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Hotel Ma&Ma in the not too distant future.

Best wishes,

Monaco
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Great new hotel with some improvements to be made. Facilities and in particular the spa are great. The pool is very nice but the area is too small. Pictures shown everywhere are misleading because the place has no view. Mistake in bathroom design with flooding after every shower.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Pieter14,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Grand Hotel Ma&Ma.

I really appreciate the time you took to review your visit, your feedback is important to us as it helps to improve our standards of service and to enhance the guest experience.
I look forward to welcoming you again at the Grand Hotel Ma&Ma.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Maddalena
L'ea Bianca Luxury Resort
#2 of 23 in Baia Sardinia
Hotel e Residence Villa Del Parco
Cervo Hotel, Costa Smeralda Resort

Been to Grand Hotel Resort Ma&Ma? Share your experiences!