“Beautiful hotel”
Review of Hotel Grand Matej

Hotel Grand Matej
“Beautiful hotel”
Reviewed 1 November 2012

The hotel si very nice, rooms are clean and comfortable. Staff was nice and helpful. Gastronomy in hotel restaurant in simply awesome. You can also try local wellness with a view of the stars. I can fully recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Mukilteo, Washington
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I recently did a cycling trip from Budapest to Prague. We stayed in Banska Stavnica in the middle of the trip. THis hotel is in the old section of town - definitely stay there and not in the new town. A great place to wander with a few nice shops and interesting views.

This is an old mining town and once provided much of the wealth of the Hungarian empire so many grand old structures. Could have spent another day, but we had to travel on.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor at the end of the hall - windows on 2 sides and a bright airy place t...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I stayed at Hotel Grand Matej with my husband and 1-year old, and although the room and location were excellent (we took a business room so it was pretty big), I felt that the experience was let down by the detail. Firstly the receptionist when we arrived was fairly stand-offish to us, answering our questions with 1 word and generally not making us feel welcome. When we returned to the hotel after visiting the town she was there again but playing a game on Facebook, and so didn't even look up or acknowledge us. And also in the room there was absolutely no information about the hotel or the town for us to look at, so although the hotel had a spa we didn't know when it was open, what floor it was on, etc. Finally there was no aircon, and no wifi in the rooms, which was surprising especially as it was a business room.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
dublin,ireland
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Hotel centrally located with parking facilities.We had a front room on the upper floor with a very nice view.Room was average.Hotel staff friendly. Restaurant food and breakfast were average.This hotel represents good value for money but not much atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2012 via mobile

Seen this hotel once from exterior I booked it on my second visit to Banska Stiavnica. I was quite surprised about the interior. One can see it is old, carpets and elevator could be considered as historical exposition. The room was quite acceptable, but bit small. The major problem was that noises from other rooms can be heard well. Our room was sepearated from another room by only double doors locked from inside. Can be probably usefull for families, not for couple thou. The breakfast was disaster. Basic salami, some slices of cheese, some hotdogs and fried eggs was all one can get, if not wanted jam and yaoghourt. Coffee was not something that can be digested, so I asked for real one from waiter. He was friendly and helpfull, but the coffe was still not good. However the hotel has good location. You can spend a night or two there, but for breakfest use some of the nice coffees in the town.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marek B
Sussex
Reviewed 23 June 2012

On arrival and from the outside I felt I'd made a good choice but my initial thoughts quickly changed. I had booked a superior room and was given a large room on the fifth floor. Immediately it became apparent that there was a problem as we could hear a loud bubbling noise coming from the wellness centre's jacuzzi which was just the other side of our bedroom wall & there was no inbuilt sound insulation! We asked to change rooms and were then given a much smaller room, where I had to place my case on the desk in order to accommodate it.

The first tiime we used the shower in this new room the bathroom floor was covered with water. We reported the problem and moved to our third room in two days. Mercifully our new room was larger than the room with the water problem, which for two people could hardly have been smaller.

Breakfast was very poor. The so called orange juice was so watered down and so sweet I found it undrinksble. I made it clear that I thought the juice very nasty and was given a bottle of orange juice from the bar.. There were no tea bags on offer other than fruit teas and the ham looked as if it was the cheapest they could have found. There was no toaster & it wasn't until I complained about this that the waiter offered to go in to the kitchen and toast some bread for me. On the second day we were tired of yet more fruit tea being offered and my husband made it clear that we didn't want this, when as if by magic a large box of Yorkshire tea suddenly appeared from the kitchen. Why this hadn't been made available to us up until that point I don't know.
On booking out the receptionist argued that the tiny second room we had been given was the same size as the first superior room we'd booked (and subsequently had to move from), which clearly was nonsense. Despite my husband's best efforts we were just given a ten per cent discount, even though we had gone through all these problems.
I would say it was just about worth putting up with the various short comings for two nights in order to be centrally placed for viewing this interesting town. The mineral museum is very well presented and I enjoyed my visit, even though I'm not that interested in mineralogy. The art gallery next door was also well worth visiting and we found the staff very accommodating in opening it up for us before the due time. We had a very nice evening meal at the brewery restaurant Erb and highly recommend that.

Room Tip: Don't be tempted to choose a superior room if on the fifth floor, as you may find it's next...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Car0

Travellers are raving about these Banska Stiavnica hotels

bratislava
Reviewed 27 April 2012

- rooms are nice and clean but the walls are very thin and there is a gap under the doors so you can hear all the noices from the corridor and other rooms (young couples comming in at 2 am) plus on the 5th floor you can smell the desinfection from wellness in the room and it is opened till 10 pm, sometimes even longer so I highly do not recommend this floor for families with children.
- food is ok, but warm breakfast buffet is not warm enough and dinner is without soup, just the main court and desert, which is pretty unusual. however, restaurant staff is very friendly and fast.
- the cable internet does not work in the room, only downstairs at reception area.

Room Tip: I do not recommend the 5th floor because of the noices and smell from wellness which is placed at th...
Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Kremnica
Penzion Cosmopolitan I
Penzion Cosmopolitan I
#12 of 26 in Banska Stiavnica

Been to Hotel Grand Matej? Share your experiences!