“The best place in Isla Canela”

Playamarina Spa Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Isla Canela
Maia
“The best place in Isla Canela”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

I've stayed here one week in early june 2013, on half board and liked a lot, even if I think there are points to improve. Let's start my evaluation. First by the bedrooms, I stayed in a normal one, they are big with a great bathroom and spotless clean. Another great amenity in the room was the tv, a lcd that allowed the connection of an external hard drive, that way we weren't stuck in regular and local tv channels. Second, about the food, in this vacation i chose half board for two reasons, it would allow me to eat less and explore the area near the marina, and it ended being a good option. The food for breakfast was normal, the coffee was good and hot, what is not normal in Spain. In dinner time, there wasn't so much variety as in other hotels i've stayed (like Barceló nearby) but it was well cooked and seasoned and didn't tasted all the same. Third, the common areas, this was where the worst spots were. Some places and equipments needed additional maintenance, being replaced or cleaned, i'm talking about the elevators, the pool chairs, the toboggans, the climatized pool. I've also found some admistrative problems, the keycards didn't work well, opening the doors and in the restaurant, have forgotten sending the Cava they offered me to my room when I've asked, the air conditioning rule (only turn on when temperature rises above 30, mentioned in another review, and that I've witnessed) is stupid in a 4 star hotel. A word to, for me, the best the hotel offers, the service, almost everybody was sympathetic and caring enough to make you feel like in home. With the top in the animation team, Ana and Pako, being able to, with few resources, deliver quality shows with a lot of fun that allowed guests socialize and breaking the ice. The way, otherwise other hotels, those shows were focused in families and involved kids, allowed experiences different from the usual in this kind of resort and that I'm tired of. Finally, the location, the beach is 2 steps away, but I've been there only once, so I've no opinion, and the marina, with all the bars and restaurants is at 5 minutes walking. It should have an atm machine in the hotel, there is none on Isla Canela and it's annoying to move to Ayamonte to withdraw some cash.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Nephilin
Dear Guests,

I would like to thank you for your comments, as it is through them the best way we can improve the quality of our service, understanding the perception of our product and most important the quality and friendly service we provide.

Gerente Playamarina Spa&Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Dubai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

The rooms are very spacious and comfortable with 2 queen size beds, pool or street/garden views, although for our taste a little dark. The bathroom has a separated bathtub and shower cabin and is very spacious.

The pool area looked a little worn down.

We only had breakfast at the hotel, which was OK.

We would rate the hotel as an average family hotel with a great beach location, perfect for long beach walks.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
First of all thank you for your comments, because it is the best way to learn about the experiences of our guests during your holiday.

Best Regards,

Manager Playamarina Spa&Resort
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012

My family really enjoyed this resort. We liked the indoor pool and hot tub, so our kids were out of the sun. There was a beautiful view from the restaurant in the outdoor dining area. The food is just OK, but there was a good selection and we made the most of it. The breakfast was good as there is a person making eggs/omelettes to order and also another one making crepes. We got the all inclusive, but next time we would do the media pension as there are good lunch options in the town that are walking distance. We had a room on the end with a view and it was great having the terrace. Also, the bathroom was nice and big for our family. It had a shower and also a shower/tub. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SwedeGirl5
Dear Guests,
We stay in your entire disposal and hope that you return to visit us in other occasions, meanwhile we will continue working in achieving our goal that is that our guests enjoy their stay along their holiday in our establishment.
Manager Playamarina Sp&Resort
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews I was a little worried about my booking at this hotel. Now after staying 15 day at this hotel I feel I must put some things straight. From the moment I arrived at the hotel, I found the staff in all departments to be freindly, polite and very helpfull.
The room allocated to us was large and spacious with a large bathroom and seperate toilet.
The room was clean and had a good size terrace.
One of my concerns was that some of the previous reviews stated that the food served in the restaurant was well below standard.
This I can state is not true in any way.
I am and have been a head chef in many top hotels and restaurants and I can honestly say the food, both the quality and choice was of a very good standard.
What we should remember is that it is a Spanish hotel in Spain and the majority of the customers were spanish, so it is not suprising that the food was spanish orientated. It was a well presented buffet style restaurant with a good sellection of foods.
Each evening there were at least three different hot meat and three hot fish dishes to choose from plus cold dishes and a good salad and cheese selection.
Breakfast buffet was also good, with a choice of several cereals, cold meats, cheeses, spreads and different breads, as well as the cooked to order eggs, bacon and sausages as well as fresh made crepes.
Overall a very good hotel for the price and one I would recommend and visit again should I go back to this part of Spain
It is my opinion that some people can never be pleased and expect to live and eat as they do at home.
Maybe they should stay at home.
Simon
Torquay.

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank Simon L
Manager Playamarina Spa&Resort
Lisburn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 10 days in September. The hotel is excellent, our room was huge and cleaned every day. We were overlooking the beach and had a good sized balcony. I agree that most of the holiday-makers are Spanish but this did not worry us and we had no difficulty being understood by the staff, even though we don't speak Spanish. The pool area was excellent and in September was very quiet - no problem getting a lounger!

However, I have to say that the food let this hotel down. The variety was disappointing and the food was not hot enough. We stayed three years ago in the Iberostar (just a few hundred yards away) and the food was much superior. We were unable to book the Iberostar this time as it was fully booked. If we were returning to this area we would certainly book the Iberostar, purely because of the quality of food, as the Playamarina was equally good every other way.

Room Tip: We were in Room 119, which was a corner room overlooking the beach. The room was huge, clean and co...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathleen M
Erskine, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

This was a family trip, with my wife (native spanish) Daughter (english speaking) and in-laws (native Spanish).
We have visited many european and non european destinations with little or no complaints and we have also lived and worked in 4 european countries. We frequently visit in-laws in north of Spain. We get around and generally enjoy ourselves and coe back with good experiences.
Good stuff first.
Proximity to beach is good just a short stroll from hotel. Quiet and not overcrowded (at least when we went which was late July). Swimming pools are great again not overcrowded and well policed against teenagers getting too boistererous and spoiling fun for younger kids, all in all a good and friendly atmosphere around the pool, tends to get busier around mid afternoon. Rooms are good size with shower and bath and balcony, New flat screen TVs were installed 2nd day of our trip, no kettle??? Small shopping centre nearby and Ayamonte town maybe ten minutes drive.

Now Bad stuff
From the second day I found the service lacking and for the first in all my trips to Spain I have been made to feel like a foreigner. My Spanish is not great but I am learning and I try, but the reaction from the staff when hearing my accent was visible and the demeanour instantly changed. I have never encountered this before. When waiting to be served the staff would serve the Spanish first even when they could see that I had been waiting longer, to the point where I had to make myself heard. Again I have never encountered this before.
It took us 3 days of asking before we were provided with the use of an Iron and 3 days before they cleaned our room.
Now for the food. There is a good selection and the choices vary from day to day and could have been excellent if it was cooked properly sadly it was not. Fruit and cooked cured meats are usually a safe bet at this point but the fruit was not fresh and the meats tasteless. One or two nights we got lucky and had a passable meal but generally the dining was a disaster.
We are a friendly family (my daughter more-so) and we don't ask for much, we enjoy visiting new places and meeting new people, we also try and adapt to the local culture and try new foods.
We have come away from this feeling very disappointed and needless to say while we may return to the area, we will definitely be avoiding the Playa Senator group of hotels.
This is more of a resort for Spanish tourists so if you don't speak Spanish you may find entertainment lacking.

Room Tip: If you want to be certain of a good room....choose another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Roy M
Reinfeld, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

Rooms and anything else are clean, very big pool. The food is very bad, it looks tasty but it isnt.

Room Tip: Say you whant a room on the beach side.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Islantilla Golf Resort Hotel
Barcelo Isla Canela
Barcelo Isla Canela
#2 of 6 in Isla Canela

Been to Playamarina Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!