“Brilliant holiday. Gorgeous hotel in a lovely area”

Melia Atlantico Isla Canela
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Isla Canela
GreenLeadersBronze level
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Brilliant holiday. Gorgeous hotel in a lovely area”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I was really worried about this hotel since it has changed hands as the reviews were so negative. I went at the start of July, returned on 11th.
We arrived late (11pm). Check in was quick. Safes in room were free and no deposit. Got free wifi if you fill in the melia rewards form on the desk. Each ticket lasts a day but we found they lasted about 2. Our room had a smalln balcony which had a view to the sea. The room was really clean and really modern. There was a fridge without the minibar facility but there were bottes of water.

The pool was fab and as other reviewers have mentioned, SO COLD, but it was a relief after the heat and you got used to it quickly.There was always space by the pool, people didn't go down and put towels on chairs. There was a bar by the pool where you could get AI drinks but you paid for branded ice creams. There was apparently a snack bar here on AI but never saw anything.

The beach is a short walk from the hotel and is really nice, with a cool breeze.

The area around the hotel is fairly quiet, mainly full of Spanish holidaymakers in the apartments. Some reviews have mentioned that it was run down but I think maybe things just hadn['t yet opened up for the season.

The entertainment in the hotel was not the best! It was entertaining for the wrong reasons but I had a giggle at it anyway.

The food was the main thing I was worried about. We found breakfasts the busiest times and it's best to get food and then sit down or you might lose your seat. There was full English, fruit, pastries, cold meats, cheese bread etc. Orange and pineapple juices. Coffee machines. It catered for everybody. You could get omelettes made for you. At lunchtime it was a lot quieter, there was lots of choice, same for the evening. Every night there was something different. I had some amazing food, it was great. People have to remember they are catering for German and Spanish tastes and not just for Brits. I saw a lot of typical German food. There was also always fresh fish, fresh prawns, mussels, paella, gazpacho (maybe that explains the review complaining about 'freezing' soup!), stews, kebabs, steak etc etc. As well as nuggets, burgers, chips.Desserts were similar most nights; profiteroles and mini cakes, tubs of ice cream and lots of fresh fruit on offer.

We found the staff really friendly, especially Hassane on the bar. You have to sign for all drinks on AI but I didn't find it an issue and I didn't get the feeling that you had to wait a long time to be served or anything.

We prebooked 2 trips, one to Seville which was a must, but pack lots of water as it is very hot, and one along the Guadiana river. Unfortunately our driver didn't show up so Nic said it would be refunded. I have had no refund yet so have had to contact Thomsons and am awaiting their response as they have said they have to check with the resort. In future I think I would wait til I was at the resort to book trips rather than prebook. We also visited Ayamonte, which was nice, and walked over to the village nearby.

All in all we had a fantastic stay. Any problems which they obviously have had have clearly been rectified as I can't say anything negative. The food was not fine dining, but it was very tasty. No, there were no table cloths, but I personally am not bothered by that in the slightest. If you've booked to stay here you are in for a treat as I had a wonderful holiday.

4 Thank Rachyl88
Carlos F, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Atlantico Isla Canela, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear Rachyl88,

Thank you very much for recommend our hotel for future guests and for make such a good review, especially regarding the services we provide. We feel very glad to know that the attention of our staff helped to make your visit our hotel more unforgettable stay, specially Hassane!

Wishing to welcome you and your family in the near future!

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Polish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Having read previous trip advisor reports, my wife and I were very concerned about what we might find, particularly as regards the food. We had an excellent holiday, the hotel is very clean (maids seem to be cleaning it all day), beds comfortable and staff very friendly. The food is a buffet, with a good choice of interesting food and a chance to put together unusual combinations if you so wish (but if you try to put together an English meal you may well be disappointed). The hotel and the whole area is geared up for Spanish holiday makers, which makes it much for fun than somewhere geared up for foreign tourists and a great place to practice your Spanish. Even a little Spanish goes a long way and is appreciated. (The staff on reception have good English.)

Maybe there were problems earlier on in the season. Thomson rep Eileen said that the hotel had improved greatly. Certainly we had no significant complaints (apart from one evening when the air conditioning in the restaurant was turned up to a ridiculous level, but this was remedied the next day).

2 Thank Peter M
Dear Peter,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments about your stay in the Meliá Atlántico!!

We are highly proud to hear such a great review regarding the cleanness of our rooms and the good services we provide. I would like to thank you for sharing your opinion about the quality of our food. We highlight appreciate your kind words about our staff who will be very proud to know that they have helped to make your stay an incredible experience.

We are waiting for welcoming you back to your home in Huelva,

Warm regards,
Midlands
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I was like a lot of people, concerned after reading the reviews from others whether I had made a big mistake choosing this hotel but I wasn't disappointed at all. It summed it up when I heard some British woman complaining that the whole hotel was a little bit cold!

I thought the food was of a decent standard despite what people are saying about it. There was plenty of choice to suit all taste buds. No it wasn't the best food I have ever had but for the price I paid and for the type of holiday I was after it was perfectly sufficient. If you are after candle lit dinners and spend hours lingering over meal times then this isn't the hotel for you. No there isn't a dress code but I still dressed up some nights and felt fine. Anything goes really.

I hadn't been to the hotel when it was a Riu so haven't got anything to compare it to which is perhaps a good thing because I feel that that is what a lot of people are doing.

The whole hotel was clean and well maintained.

The pool was lovely and plenty of sun loungers and umbrellas for all.

The room was a good size with a balcony and I was most impressed that there were the channels; BBC 1,2 and ITV so were still able to watch Wimbledon!

No complaints at all about the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank whichdestinationnext
Carlos F, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Atlantico Isla Canela, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Dear whichdestinationnext,

It is wonderful to know that you have enjoyed to the Meliá Atlántico during your holidays. It is a great pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us, and you have been delighted with our staff, location and specially with the food. Our rooms have been renovated and we offer international channels in our TVs.

The entire staff hope to welcome you again in a near future.

Kindest Regards,
Wakefield
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This is a very good hotel in a very quiet and relaxing location. The rooms are of a good standard and the hotel itself is well run with good facilities.
Given that it is hard to reconcile how the experience changes the minute you enter the canteen, I will not call it a restaurant or a dining room. It has been designed to be run as cheaply as possible, no tablecloths for example. There is no dress code and the room has the feel of a canteen, if you want a relaxing meal eat out. The furniture looks like it was bought en masse at the MFI closing down sale.
If that were not bad enough you then have to face the food. I will not go into detail as I have not got the space. Spain is a country that exports large quantities of salad crops to the rest of Europe. So why the lettuce was brown, the tomatoes soft and old and the cucumber dry is difficult to understand. The main courses were invariably cold and tasteless,
Mentioned this to the reps who in true rep style used the first two out of their playbook 1. no one else has complained 2. talk about something else. Obviously not readers of the Guardian 6th July Money Section re complaints re the food at this hotel or other reviews. Other reviewers appear to wish people would stop mentioning the hotel was a RIU. The reason is simple that is the benchmark and by RIU standards this hotel fails badly in the area of its food.

3 Thank DavidWakefield
Dear David,

We really appreciate your comments regarding your stay because at the Meliá Atlántico we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Thank you for your comments about our full equiped rooms, the friendly staff and facilities. We regret that you could not enjoy our food and we have not met your expectations.

Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

This was our second visit to the Atlantico and after reading the poor reviews I was concerned that we were going to be disappointed this time but no it met all our expectations as a four star platinum hotel and we thought it was better than when it was a Riu hotel.
Checking in at the hotel went smoothly although our room was not ready as we had an early flight but we had been informed on the transfer coach that check in time in Spain and Portugal is normally around 4pm. Nick the rep organised for our suitcases to be taken to our room so we could leave and get some lunch until our room was ready. When we arrived back a member of reception asked if we had got our room yet which we hadn't so he changed our room to one that was ready so we didn't have to wait any longer. The service was exceptional,they were doing their best to ensure we were sorted ASAP.We were in our room around 2.30pm so not as late as 4pm but if you have an early flight be prepared take your bikini and sun cream in your hand luggage then you can wait in the sunshine starting on your suntan!
All the bad reviews regarding the food choice and temperature of the food couldn't be further than the truth there is a vast range of food from fresh cherries, fruit compote,pineapple and other fruits, cereals, fresh breads to a full English breakfast, evening meals provided a lovely choice of salads, two soups to choose from, pasta, potatoes, rice or chips with choices of fish,meat or vegetable dishes. The plates for the main courses were also hot which you don't find in many hotels. Desserts also had fresh fruits including strawberries, ice creams, jellies to more calorific desserts! You would have to be really picky to not find something you liked.The restaurant staff were very efficient and friendly and we had no problem finding a table in the newly refurbished restaurant. The new restaurant layout is very efficient and a great design better than many Spanish hotels,well done!
The area as stated in previous reviews is very quiet so it's not for everyone but if you like walking along the promenade for a few miles or watching fishing boats going up and out into the sea and watching the world go by this hotel is for you... Very relaxing!
Plenty of very comfortable sun beds by the pool and a great towel service providing large new towels. If you get fed up by the pool make sure you take advantage of the huge very clean beach in front of the
Don't be put off by any bad reviews... Have a great time and keep a look out for the flocks of flamingoes in the evenings!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Sharon T
Dear Sharon,

It is a great pleasure to hear that you have enjoyed your stay in the Meliá Atlántico. Thank you very much for your comments about our good location, our services, our staff and also for your words regarding our breakfast, dinners and specially our desserts.

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon!!

Warm Regards,
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Stayed for the first time by recommendation here through Thomson in June 2013 for 2 weeks. First impressions great. Spotlessly clean, beautiful room with view over the estuary. Poolside great no need to put towels on sunbeds to reserve as there are plenty of beds and parasols. But go down for dinner and I mean down, you are greated by a guy in a Tee Shirt to tick off your room number, if you have come to dress smartly you will find yourself out of place, there is absolutely no dress code. There are no table cloths it's just like a works canteen and the food is the same, the chefs? have not got a clue how to carve meat and it is so repetitious. So many returning couples moaning about the restaurant on how it has changed since becoming part of the Melia Group. Such a disappointment which leads me to think that it may not be available in future Thomson brochures.

Room Tip: Estuary view
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sanmiguel22
Dear Sanmiguel22,

First of all, I would like to thank you for having chosen our hotel for your last holidays, as well as for taking the time to publish your opinion on Tripadvisor.

We are grateful for your comments, which will help us in our daily efforts to raise the level of customer satisfaction. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences mentioned in your post regarding the food. We are working in a dress code but we also think that our guest are enjoying them holidays and for this reason we allow, for example, short trousers.

Looking forward to welcome you soon.

Yours faithfully,
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks here.7th July. Loved the resort and hotel, been before when it was Riu. Hotel itself excellent, super clean and comfortable,Lovely new beds, bedding and towels. Were told by reception 8 categories of room now, and Thomsons allocated class 8 ie lowest, which would explain some of the reviews saying they got smallest rooms at front of hotel with no views of river or sea. We were told only people who paid the extra got these.However the room we got was a 7 so bigger and it was cool as not in sun but it was a lovely room.Large TV and free safe with little fridge in which you could keep your own drinks cool. Staff were all friendly and polite. Pool area clean and comfy, never once struggled to get sunbeds ,all new. You dont pay deposit for towels but 1 euro to change them which we think is ok. Need to pay for sun loungers and umbrellas on the hotels part of beach, not many people used these. Beach is enormous, sea very large waves, not great for little ones.So far so good.............Breakfast is good with fresh fruit now available and probably anything else you could care to think of.But, evening meals pretty poor. Mostly lukewarm, with some very odd things on offer, wont bore you with all the details.We thought it did improve a bit the second week when the Spanish holidays started and hotel full of Spanish families.By then we were mostly eating out as I unfortunately spent 2 days in bed with the runs, meaning we had to cancel a boat trip we had booked for my husbands birthday as i couldnt leave the room and he spent his birthday eating alone in a nearby restaurant. We did contact Thomsons before we went as we were concerned by the bad reviews of food we had read, and their response was that reviews are subjective, which of course they are.However we still feel that the complaints about bad food are valid, and so must Thomsons as we read in this weekends Guardian that they have agree to pay compensation to some guests because of the horrible food they endured! (Guardian money supplement, back page complaints,6th July.) So we had a good holiday spoiled by bad food and illness.Would go back to the resort and probably this hotel if Band B on offer maybe, or more likely in an apartment.Hotel 4 star, food 2.
Locally if you go make sure to go to Ayamonte, a great old fashioned Spanish town, and go over to Vila Real on the ferry ,great shops here and totally different to the Spanish side of the river. Both are easy days out we did each one twice..Not much at Isla Cristina but a nice litttle boat ride.Did the Guidiana river cruise- an enjoyable day out and good fun at the restaurant, but paid over 50 Euros and could have booked the same trip direct with the boat in Portugal for about 27,but you would have to make your own way to the boat.Do have a walk around to the old town on the opposite side of the marina, lots of cheap eating here if you like fish, and some lovely houses on the old quay side.
Lastly local eats- can recommend Paraiso bar, 12 euro meal fantastic,this is near to Sugar reef where food also good but more of British type. Pizza place good too. Walk along the beach to Sonrisa for excellent food and live music nights,which we also enjoyed at Entre Dunas. Dont just stay in the hotel, there is lots to do and see locally!!!! And if you dont like the food there are lots of places to eat out, although you shouldnt have to do this when you have paid half board, but better that than spoiling your holiday. This is the first time I have ever placed a review, but hope it may help people who have already booked here.

Room Tip: See above comments
4 Thank Beverley H
Dear Beverley,

First of all, I would like to thank you for having chosen our hotel during your holidays.

On the other hand, we appreciate the time that you have taken to post your experience on Tripadvisor. We are most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for us, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and it helps us to monitor the service we provide. Be assured, that your kind comments will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards that you have experienced during your stay with us. We regret your comment about the food and we are working hard for improving our buffet offer.

We hope that you will give us other opportunity to accommodate you, in order to recover your trust in our hotel and provide you with the best of our attention to make your stay a memorable and very special experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Canela
#2 of 5 in Isla Cristina
Barcelo Isla Canela
Barcelo Isla Canela
#2 of 6 in Isla Canela

Been to Melia Atlantico Isla Canela? Share your experiences!