Haughley House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Cedars Hotel(Stowmarket)
Limes Hotel(Needham Market)
View Hotel
All reviewsfour poster bedevening mealhomemade breadb bdining roomattention to detailhome grownold friendshome producedfriday afternoontea and cakenext morningexcellent hostssmall villagelovely couplewarm welcomelarge garden
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I got married last month and our guests used three local B and B's, In no particular order -

The travelodge - okay, so not officially s B and B but my description in the invite of 'cheap and cheerful', judging from guests comments, was obviously a bit optimistic.

Haughley House - absolutely brilliant house (and home produced breakfast) but this has to be weighed up against the £80 pppn price tag and the Basil Fawltyesque 'welcome' (somehow were made to feel as if they were doing you a favour in letting you stay there!).

Kiln House - out on its own on all fronts. Enough to say that my mum (not always easily pleased) claimed it to be 'simply the best B and B in the country! Half the price of Haughley House and the wonderful welcome of the owners was incomparable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mervyn72
5342681, Owner at Haughley House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Mervyn, who lives within walking distance, actually stayed here with his bride 6 weeks ago, although he writes as though it was one of his guests who stayed here. Therefore it is impossible for Mervyn to compare us with the two other properties that he has included in the review. He was told before he booked that we do not accept single occupancy in our room with a mahogany four poster bed with its silk tented ceiling and drapes at the weekends. Emails confirmed to us that he was happy to accept the charge of £120.00 per night for the room. I note that he gives us full marks for the accommodation and for the breakfast but marks us down drastically overall. I cannot comment on the Basil Fawlty type 'welcome' etc; the reader will note that other reviews on this aspect are quite the opposite. .

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was looking for a B & B in Haughley as a good friend was celebrating his 60th locally but did not have enough room in his house to put me up. So I looked up this place on bookings.com and found that it was only just over a mile away from the scene of the party so booked it because of this. I liked the idea of local produce being used for breakfast and the photos of it made me think"go on, treat yourself", so I did.
It is an imposing house from the road and when you go through the front door, the place oozes class and tradition. My en-suite bedroom had everything you would expect - good double bed, great shower, TV etc...but it was the little touches like the chunky biscuits on the tea tray, the old fashioned alarm clock on the bedside table. I was worried that because my room faced the road,I'd be woken by the traffic but the countryside quiet is total and is such a change for me who normally lives on the Manchester Airport flight path, just by the M57.I had not booked an evening meal here - a decision that I truly regretted after my first breakfast here. Mein host, Geoffrey Bowden, had asked me what I would like when I arrived and the choices he gave made my head spin. I'm a great fan of English breakfasts and the quality of one will always affect the rating I give an establishment. As I had already been bowled over by the house only a duff breakfast could get it a 4* rating. I need not have worried. Fresh melon, a choice of cereals, home-made bread for the toast, their own organically-produced apple juice, their own jam, their own sausages/ bacon/ black pudding - which incidentally had a dose of Adnams beer used in their making - their own free-range eggs and their own mushrooms - all of this put together on a plate by the kitchen magician Caroline, Geoffrey's wife. I'm glad that I only had breakfast there on the two days that I stayed. If I had eaten their evening meals, I would have become the Michelin Man and possibly, would have not been able to get out the front door !!! And I've not even mentioned Geoffrey's love of wine and the eclectic selection that he has in his wine list.
Geoffrey is an ex-cavalry officer and he and Caroline together still retain the bearing of a couple who have lived a life in the military. Get past their reserve and you will meet a couple with a genuine love of the countryside and a real desire to ensure your stay with them is a memorable one. In an unguarded moment the word "retirement" was mentioned. If that's the case, get there while you can, because there are not that many places as good and unique as this still going.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank MikeKHyde
5342681, Owner at Haughley House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words; we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Haughley House in the future.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My wife and I have just had a lovely weekend in this fantastic house.caroline and geoffrey were superb hosts and there attention to detail with everything is first class.would definitely recommend this place to other people.pat and gary blewitt.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank g1j1b1

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your kind review, which is much appreciated. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a delightful weekend, along with other family members, to celebrate my birthday. We arrived Friday afternoon and left Sunday morning. We dined there each day. We were all thrilled with the atmosphere of Haughley House, its grounds and its food. The hosts were very welcoming and we had long, interesting conversations over dinner. Breakfast was superb, catering for all tastes, offering wonderful home or locally produced food. Dinner was exciting, stimulating taste buds and talk. The bedrooms are large, with period furniture, with all those little extras that one doesn't often get in an hotel. It was a pleasure to stay at Haughley House and we thoroughly recommend it to anyone who wants something rather better than the run of the mill fare with which one is often faced..

Room Tip: The room with a four poster bed is spacious, superbly furnished and so comfortable.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AlanandLindaStewton

Thank you very much for your kind review; it was a pleasure to have your company on such a special occasion. Hoping to see you in the future.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

It was a privilege to stay with these charming people in their historic home. It was a weekend to remember. The food, the furniture and the folk are top quality. The ad hoc dinner party for three couples who had never met was superb.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple