“Give the new landloard a chance”

The Finningham White Horse
Ranked #40 of 58 Restaurants in Stowmarket
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Dining options: Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Saffron Walden
“Give the new landloard a chance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Did a walk from this pub on Saturday, called in to ask permission to park and was honestly told no hot food ect as they had only been in 3 weeks. Came back to a very friendly reception, had a couple of lemonades and a chat. These people need to be given a chance to get this pub a good recommendation again. In time it will be another great village pub but please support them so they can acieve this

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Jennifer C

Stowmarket, United Kingdom
“Closed again! What a surprise !!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our friends in the village have just told us about the close-down again of the White Horse - a pub we have known and used over many years.
They tell me the hope is that it will re-open again, and be run well by tenants who understand the basics of pub operation. Efficient drink and food service, friendly staff and an atmosphere condusive to customers feeling their visit and custom was appreciated.

• Visited July 2014
“Not good!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

As a group of 6 (4 adults + 2 children) we booked early on the day of our visit for a table for the carvery. We arrived on time and were not greeted by any staff. Only one member of staff was visible, in the bar. We joined the queue behind another 2 couples. The barman had to serve the drinks (which he was not very proficient at) and also take the food orders. Cokes were served in cans and I had to ask for glasses. It took over 10 minutes to order our drinks and food. I'm not comfortable with paying in a pub before eating. We were not shown to our table but had to guess by the number of seats. When we got into the room where the carvery was being served we saw that there was only enough meat left for a couple of people, whilst there was a group getting their food. The carvery starts at 12:30 and we were booked in for 1pm. LOL they had already run out of lamb despite serving only a handful of people before us. The beef is all that was left (enough for maybe 3 servings). The people then getting their food complained that the pork was not available as advertised. The chef informed them (by arguing and being rude) that the pork was still red in the middle and said it was all of the customer's fault for not booking days in advance. There was only broccoli and possiblt cauliflower available at this point. Got to love the preparation they put into this! They have billboards outside promoting the carvery. I had planned to bring my 4 year old daughter out for a birthday meal. Her birthday was the day of the experience. I did not have any intention of waiting for pork to cook, especially as the majority of us wanted the nonexistent beef. We all had enough at that point and decided to leave, abandoning our drinks, in the hope of finding somewhere half decent for a meal. Getting the money back for the food was not pleasant. The guy serving the food was now sorting our refunds. He told us very rudely that we had taken all of his change and that he had only notes so we had to give him change back. We questioned again why they were so unprepared for customers but this just resulted in attitude and a sarcastic apology. We suggested maybe they should remove the billboard as they were not serving. It's not right to expect customers to wait over an hour. Especially with 2 young children. As I was waiting in line behind the others in my group for my refund my children went outside the pub with my boyfriend and the little 4 year old birthday girl slipped on her way out and hurt herself; she was crying. I said "oh, now *** has fell over and hurt herself". The man giving refunds said "nevermind". I am seriously fuming over the attitudes, behaviour and total lack of professionalism I encountered today.

• Visited June 2014
5 Thank Kellywoo87
“Terrible food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Went today 14/6/14, should of taken note of the lack of cars, but went in anyway only to be stared at on walking in by three people ( they were staff, they didn't seem very welcoming at all ) I asked if they did meals and they said yes, I asked where should I sit they said wherever! So went to sit down, ( staff made no attempt to come over with any menu's ) had to then go and find out should I order the food from the bar, was told yes, with only 4 items to choose from on the board for hot meals and a list of cold baguettes, I asked if the ploughmans was with cheese or ham, female behind counter said she didnt know and asked the young man standing next to her he said he didnt know then he went out the back, he came back saying there was no ham so couldn't have a ploughmans as they had no ham ( by this time I had alarm bells going off in my head, but still stayed - benefit of the doubt and all that ) I ordered 3 baguettes with beef and 3 drinks, had to ask if I could have ice in my drinks, as they didn't have any ice, they had to fetch ice from out the back, the baguettes came, they were stale and the salad with it was brown and curling up at the edges, on telling the bar man, who we had to ask for a knife and fork and serviettes, a man turned up next to me and asked what the problem was, I said the bread was stale and the salad not fresh, he said the bread was only two days old and couldn't see the problem !!!! Well I can see a problem right there, two day day old baguettes, goes out for the birds. He refunded the money - so he should - how on earth they expect to make a go of this pub is beyond me, no wonder they had no customers, you have been warned DO NOT EAT HERE !

Visited June 2014
5 Thank NottHappyJan
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
“Open again - but for how long!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

On a previous visit to Finningham we called at the White Horse, and found it closed. Driving through recently we stopped as there were blackboards outside advertising beers and a lunch menu at £3.99. The menu inside was a list of sandwiches.The two real ales were Woodfordes Wherry - OK but a bit flat, and Ghost Ship, the least interesting of beers brewed by Adnams.The middle-aged man who served our drinks, may have been the tennant, but showed little interest in us and was not well presented.
On this form the pub will jog on as a basic pub with no proper food and little atmosphere.. It will require a lot of hard work to put it back to where it was a few years ago.!

• Visited May 2014