“Great Venue in a lovly town.”

John Peel Centre for the Creative Arts
Ranked #6 of 15 things to do in Stowmarket
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Venue in a lovly town.”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Sound quality very good for a live music venue.
A good mix of bands and shows.
Cant wait for the Beer Fest.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank John M

Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The John Peel Centre rocks!!”
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

Just what we need here in Stowmarket!! A chance to lift our heads up and enjoy some culture without getting on the train out of town. I appreciate it's early days for the JPC but get in there and show it some support so it can establish itself and flourish. Thoroughly enjoyed the AMAZING Shonin Knife here and The Three Little Pigs show. The Wedding Present was a night to remember too. Walking distance from our home - bargain price entry. Very attractive atmospheric building.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Bogso
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Hmmm”
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I've flicked through the listings and made a few visits to the "tester events". I've also read extensively about the ambitious plans that the JPC has, it's all a bit much really isn't it.

I know John Peel's widow gave permission for his name to be used for the project, but I have to ask myself if it'd of been so warmly received in regards to funding and public reaction had they not b*stardised the name of one of the all time greats?

It's also worth noting that one night when walking through town I noticed a large number of cars parked outside the bank with young people sitting in them and hanging out around them drinking. There must of been at least 35 people all hanging around there. I walked round the corner and saw that there were some bands on at the JPC, not once security guard or bouncer on the door, but hundreds of drunken children stumbling round as far down as Church Walk. Fingers crossed this isn't a sign of things to come...

I'm not sure Stowmarket has the audience for an arts centre of this size, and certainly can't see people traveling from out of town on mass with some of the utter tripe that I have seen listed.

It's obviously being run by people that care a lot about it and the town, unfortunately I don't think it'll be enough to quite bring it upto the grade as somewhere such as the Norwich Waterfront or even The Ipswich Corn Exchange.

Visited May 2012