“A Proper Old English Pub”
Review of The Doberman

The Doberman
Ranked #27 of 56 Restaurants in Stowmarket
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Small traditional English pub.
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Myself husband & 91 year old dad wanted a meal out in a pub with character & idealy a nice log fire. I hadnt been to this pub for a few years as we moved into Ipswich from Debenham but after looking on line phoned to make a booking The lady was very friendly & helpful I asked about the menu choices I had seen on line and asked if they were available as my elderly dad likes "plain food" she confirmed they were along with some of the more adventurous choices ie a hot chilli, beef in red pepper & wine and other tasty morsels. I booked a table for 8pm. A little while later she called back to say that the food I knew my dad would like ie gammon was not available that night then explained the other choices that were. I thought that was very thoughtful & considerate. We arrived about 10 mins late this was no problem we were given a very friendly welcome & shown to our table that she had put us on that was easy for my dad to gert in & out. The lovely open fireplace was blazing and it seperated thebar & eating area from a very cosy snug area with winged chairs & comfy sofa's. The bar was well stocked & the wine list excellent & very reasonably priced I was told the house white was very good I wasnt sure weather to choose the dry or medium but the landlady gave me a glass to try both I chose the medium itwas lovely and only £10.50 a bottle. The menu is not large but has excellent choices the thing I really like was the salad it is what I like to call a proper salad cos lettuce (not that ol frizzy unedible type) lollarocha (red Lettuce) too radishes celery spring onions cucumber tomatoes & coleslaw at last a pub that knows what a salad is! my scampi was plentiful & great chips too my husband has the veg lasagne with vegatables all fresh as well & dad had the battered haddock with chips & peas we shared a starter of deep fried battered vegatables with a garlic mayo dip & bread Yummy. We had a nice rest then all managed a dessert my hubby & Dad had the blackberry & apple crumble with custard dad couldnt decide on ice cream or custard so they asked would he like a bit of each he was well pleased I had a chocolate sundae with hazelnuts we all ordered a coffee and we asked to have it in the snug no problem it was served with a nice chocolate each and we just sat by the open log fire in the comfy chairs & enjoyed. It was an excellent evening in a proper English country pub & the bill was £77.00 which included my wine,2 soft drinks & 2 no alchol beers oh yes & my one gin & tonic WE WILL BE BACK. Just one thing no under fourteeen year olds allowed in the restruant but are wlcome in the outside garden summer of course....

3  Thank Diane S
There are newer reviews for The Doberman

Reviewed 27 January 2013

hubbie says i ll take you out for a nice pub lunch - ok that d be nice. we ended up at the doberman at framsden. after choosing my meal the boy comes to take my order this is how the convo goes. i ll have fish au gratin plz - sorry we have no more left - ok i ll have the chicken mushroom pie then -im sorry we have none of those left but i have another type of chicken pie - ok i ll have that then. 10 mins later he comes back sorry we have none of those left. i say well there is nothing else i like on the menu. In the end i relent and say i ll just have the scampi then. he brings it in and i start eating it. can i have some tomato sauce please -sorry we dont have any left im gobsmacked, ok i ll have tartar sauce then please -sorry we have none of that either omg just get me mayonase then. after waiting 5 mins turn round to see him talking to someone at the bar. he realises im pissed off and scurries off to get it - by this time i ve almost finished my meal. i hope you dont think im paying full price for this i say he looks well embarrassed. i ask for a white wine and lemonade which he brings minus the lemonade. when we go to pay the landlady is pissed right up and she cant understand why we re not happy we say we are not paying full price. she throws our money back and says dont ever come back so colin picks it up. she said i knew youd do that -give it back to me or i ll call the police. it was so funny like faulty towers. got better things to do so just give her the money then she reuses to give us the change. stand arguing for couple mins til she eventually give us our change. the moral dont ever consider the framsden doberman for lunch.

5  Thank IpswichDonna95
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We are fortunate to live fairly close by this pub which is off beaten track in Framsden. Always made to feel welcome in this very cosy, spotlessly clean pub where you can come for just a drink or a meal. Can recommend the food highly. Everything we have tried on the menu is always freshly cooked and beautifully served. Not open all days of the week so check first.

2  Thank jembey
Reviewed 4 September 2012

great beers and wines food was good, especially the steaks, lovely old sofa, coffee table magazines etc-very cosy could have stayed for hours!

2  Thank mememe911
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Wonderful delicious home cooked food in a small, lovely, welcoming, cosy, beamed pub. Log fire crackles away in winter adding to the ambience. Owner and staff so welcoming, nothing is too much trouble. It's like being in some ones home as people just seem to chat to each other, delightful atmosphere. Just remember to bring cash, cards not taken here and use a mobile to book if you have an ex directory land line phone number as no 'number with held' calls accepted by their phone service. It is really worth a visit.

1  Thank Gabrielle H