“Don't believe the hype”
Review of Verandah House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stowmarket
Verandah House
Ranked #4 of 8 Stowmarket B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 October 2010

A very ordinary room, which was unaired, its en suite bathroom did not have a proper shower (only a handheld tap attachment) for £49.50 – this is certainly not good value in itself, but as someone who travels a lot for work (on a budget) I often have to take the rough with the smooth, and I've come across worse! However, things really went downhill when I asked for the Wi-Fi password. I was then informed that this would cost me an extra £3 although there is no mention of a surcharge on the B&B's website (and, as such, I think it's fair to assume that usage is included in the price of the room). In her defence the owner said "we're only a small B&B", although in fact the house isn't that small and many smaller establishments manage to offer free Wi-Fi and are upfront about costs. I queried this and was told that I was wrong and that the surcharge is mentioned online (it isn't). I was then told that I should be grateful because the room normally costs £55, suggesting that I had been given a reduction. However, the room price on their website is £49.50 and this is the price I was quoted when booking over the phone so any suggestion of a reduction was disingenuous at best on the owner's part. I'd had a long, tiring day on the road and just wanted to relax (after emailing my daily report to work) but the owner's attitude was difficult to accept – it wasn't the amount, but the principle. At no time was I less than polite but the owner was very quick to tell me that if I didn't like it I could always leave, so I did, at great inconvenience to myself. I felt it necessary to write this review to counter all the positive ones this B&B (unfairly in my very disappointing experience) has received. This B&B is very ordinary and not value-for-money, and its owner was aggressive and untruthful in her response to my queries.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank DWR1967
Neroni, Owner at Verandah House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2011

Dear Sir,

If you remember at the time you booked with us in the afternoon for one night's stay. I mentioned to you the rate on the phone and that we had one more room left which you decided to book.

When you arrived I opened that back gate so that you could put your bicycle securely and sheltered from the rain. When you registered in I made conversation about your day and that then I said we had the big bathroom (good for a soak) after a day on the bike. We never ask our guests for money on arrival. So to come down later (after having used the facilities) you asked to have a change of rooms because you wanted a shower, of which I replied that we did not have one available. Then you asked if we had internet access and I replied yes, but at a nominal charge which reduces further if guests stay longer. You unfortunately did not like this and you said you were not happy so I gave you the choice of whether you wanted to stay or find somewhere else? As we could not provide a shower room you decided to go, we suggested a hotel that was 500 yards from us and gave you directions. I don't think I was unreasonable to give you the option! but regretably you chose to go.. I do not think it is in my nature to be obnoxious. I have never had this said about me before! I hope you have good luck in 2011!
Regards Suzanne

Reviewed 16 September 2010

Verandah House is a lovely rambling guest house with huge bedrooms and wonderful hosts. It is situated just outside Stowmarket and ideal for exploring the Suffolk countryside or just stopping off for one night. We visited Lavenham, Sudbury, Melford, Bury St. Edmunds, Framlinghamd and Orford Castles, Flatford Mill and many other places, all within easy reach. As for our hosts, Suzanne and Gianfranco were friendly, helpful and always ready to be on hand if necessary. We parked with ease and even with four cars already there, were able to park in the car park. Our rooms were spotlessly clean, and our breakfasts were superb. We ate at two of the local pubs in the evening though should it be raining, Gianfranco was always ready to cook a snack and if ordered at breakfast, a lovely evening meal. The Gladstone Arms did wonderful chilli and chips! I have no hesitation in recommending Verandah House for a short or long stay - we stayed 6 nights and had a great time.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lacey27
Reviewed 1 November 2009

Suzanne and Gianfranco very friendly and helpful, Comfy rooms with lovely enormous beds! (But a bit warm for our liking - we're not used to it!) Only trouble was the bathroom mirror was so low that no-one could see in it, which made shaving difficult! Breakfasts were delicious and they were very willing to mix and match components to suit individuals.
Interesting house - liked the historical aspects - but older members of party found the many different levels a bit difficult (however, we had been warned about this in advance). Didn't find the road noisy (see earlier review) and location was quite handy but parking was difficult once more than about 2 cars were in. Tried two different pubs on the two evenings we had - can definitely recommend the Gladstone Arms. Huge portions and delicious.
Overall, a good experience and would definitely recommend it - you're made to feel so welcome and comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank NorfolkFrankie
Reviewed 15 September 2009

We had a lovely one night stay here. There's plenty of space in the rooms, which are spotless with comfortable beds and lots of character. The breakfast was great with plenty of choice and good quality. The house is a short walk away from the charming town centre.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank FlashAnna
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Lovely room, lovely en suite, super people. And for an Italian Gianfranco cooks a pretty mean English breakfast!!
Yes (see another review), the road is pretty busy during the day, but quietens down during the evening so that sleep is not a problem.
Suzanne was quite happy to do us coffee and biscotti to enjoy in the garden.
Overall a delightful 2 night stay.
A hairdryer in the room would be nice though.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EssexDave2
Reviewed 12 August 2009

We stayed here for two nights and found it through our car sat nav. We drove past it the first time as the photos on the web are of the garden so we didn't recognise it! There is parking but you can get blocked in so do check if you're going out again. Our room was comfortable with a view over the garden. It is an old building so the floor sloped and there were lots of narrow stairs, so a bit of a stuggle with luggage. The room was very clean with tea making facilities and TV. Unfortunately it was quite warm while we were there so we had the window open and there was quite a bit of traffic noise. Breakfast was very nice, cooked fresh to order and with plenty of choice, but serving stopped at 8:30am which was a little early for us! There aren't many restuarants in Stowmarket. You can have a meal at the hotel, but have to order it in the morning so we drove further afield for dinner.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank MrsMessy
Reviewed 26 July 2009

We stayed for one night at Verandah house. We had a very warm welcome and everyone was very accommodating to our needs. The room was a fantastic size and very sensitively decorated. The breakfast was hearty and very tasty! We would definitely stay again if we are in the area!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple