“Good Country Pub” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Tempest Arms

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Elslack
The Tempest Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elslack
North yorkshire
“Good Country Pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Tempest Arms as a birthday treat. A few friends had recommended it, and as it is over 20 miles away, we thought it must be worth the trip.
We checked in and was directed to our room. We were given room 18, which, if the weather is fine, has a terrace with table and chairs. Unfortunately, it rained but it would have been a nice spot to have a pre dinner drink.
The room was tastefully furnished and had the biggest bed I have ever seen!
The seating area was very comfortable with lots of literature on places to visit if you were unfamiliar with the area.
My only criticism, and it is very minor, is that it would have been nice to have a biscuit with my coffee, and the bathroom toiletries did not include hair condition, just a generic shower and hair gel. As I say, very minor points.
Now on to the food. It was a very busy Easter Sunday, and the car park was full, so they had been busy all day but the staff could not have been more helpful or cheerful. There is an extensive menu, and my venison was cooked to perfection. This followed a pear and goats cheese salad.
Breakfast was good, also. We had a Wensleydale and chive omelette, cereal, toast and coffee.
We would definitely make a return visit, hopefully the weather will be better and we can make use of the terrace.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AMCHNY
nitramYorkshire, Owner at The Tempest Arms, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Hello there!

I am so sorry about the biscuit! You should have had a flapjack in your room on arrival!!!
We owe you next time you come!
Thank you for your very kind words and we are thrilled that you enjoyed your recent visit to the Tempest Arms. We look forward to seeing you very soon, I will be armed with biscuits!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Just LOVE it at the Tempest. This is our favourite spot for a quick tea time treat or for more formal occasions and when we have guests. Can't fault a thing..... The menu is so extensive and reasonable. The portion sizes are huge and I challenge anyone to come away from here hungry!
Thank you! ;))

• Stayed April 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Do you know what ? We love it too! Thank you for your fab review we look forward to remaining the top of your favourites list! See you soon!
Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

My husband and I had a rare night away from the kids and having dined at the Tempest on a number of occasions we booked a night away. The room rate should have been £120 but as we stayed on a bank holiday it was half price. The room was very comfortable with a huge bed and all the usual comforts. It was very spacious with a nice sitting area and fire. The staff at the hotel are extremely helpful and very friendly. The main front of house manager Martin was brilliant and had a fabulous rapport with the guests. As always the food was excellent and there is an extensive menu on offer. My husband had the steak & ale suet pudding and it was absolutely divine. Overall if you enjoy good food and real
Ale set in a rural setting then you won't be disappointed with The Tempest!

• Stayed April 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind words we are so glad you enjoyed your mini break! Ps Cheers for mentioning me! You must have got me on a good day!

No seriously it does make all the difference when guests take the time to compliment us, we smile just that bit longer!!!

BEST WISHES MARTIN!
England, Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012 via mobile

My partner and I booked to stay for one night, we had visited the brewery's sister pub The Spread Eagle and so we thought we would try out The Tempest, we were not disappointed.

As we couldn't check in till 3 we decided to do a hike around the area. The setting of the pub is very beautiful, even in the grey English weather! We returned to the pub after completing the 8 miles and had a drink in the bar. It was very busy, however, we found the bar staff to be very friendly, offering my partner samples of the local ale. Aaron checking in we were also greeted by a friendly lady at reception, who insisted we try some of the free cake and gingerbread on offer. I originally wanted to book one of the more expensive rooms, however, Eileen's Good Friday the only room that they had left was a standard. It was lovely. The rooms are tastefully decorated and very clean.

We had a few drinks in the bar before eating in the restaurant. The food was amazing, I opted for Lamb and my partner, the seafood plank, both were very, very good. Price wise I would argue that it is very reasonable, for two starters, two mains and a shared desert we paid approximately £50. The breakfast that was included with our room was also good and there was plenty of choice.

Having stayed at several country inn pubs across the Peak DIstrict, this is definitely one of the, if not the, best.

Oh and on return we received a short email from the lady in reception simply stating 'thanks for the lovely comments on the customer card' - great food, lovely rooms and location and exceptional customer service.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank sarahed55
Hello Sara

Thank you so much for your very kind words we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to welcoming you again soon!
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Stayed midweek for one night in room 13 with the hot tub.

The welcome was lovely - we were offered complimentary cakes, which looked great, but I was saving room for dinner. The room is in a modern annexe a few steps from the main pub building. Both pub (old) and annexe (new) have been finished to a high standard.

The room had more little surprises - hidden chocolates and sweets, chilled water, a wood-effect gas stove and an enormous bed. The room was tidy and clean and well-appointed.

The tub is on a private outdoor terrace (though technically partially overlooked by the room above) with a view over the fields and of the river/brook just over the fence. It is a decent size and hot to 40 degrees C even in March. There are robes and candles (including a lighter). You are expected to remove and replace the cover and this is really a job for at least two people as it is large and heavy (there is a contraption to help you).

Perhaps the only thing in the accommodation which detracted from the 'wow factor' was the bathroom which, while offering a heated towel rail, great toiletries (including bath salts) and a decent over-bath shower, was beginning to show signs of age - chipped enamel in the bath, slightly tired sealant and little white divots in black tiles which must have looked quite opulent when first fitted.

The welcome in the bar was really friendly - the cheerful woman at the bar offering tasters of the ales which, as a lover of real beer, I can say had been cellared by an expert and were in excellent condition. (I tried at least some of all five - I remember having Thwaites Egg Roller, Dark Horse Hetton Pale Ale, Theakston's Best, Thwaites Original and one more local one. If you can make the 'basic' ones like Theakston's Best and Thwaites Original a good pint, you are doing it right).

The pub is on various levels, some dedicated more to dining perhaps, but you could eat in the bar or in the separate restaurant (same food, I think). There was a real fire glowing in the grate, which added to the atmosphere. It's quite a smart pub, but you could call just for a drink - this isn't just a country restaurant with no drinking room.

Food was quality pub food, not haute cuisine. A massive menu, but this was homemade stuff in the main. Service was quite casual. Wednesday night in the middle of the countryside and it was really busy with diners - no doubt a good sign.

Breakfast was excellent - a few cooked choices and unlimited buffet options. Real butter and an English breakfast made with hardly any grease on the plate.

Check-out was simple and they didn't rush us away too early, though breakfast was served only until 9, midweek.

Overall, impressed. Well-placed for the Yorkshire Dales or Skipton or even Bradford.

Room Tip: Two rooms (which are significantly more expensive) have hot tubs. Room 13 was lovely.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moopind
Hello there !

And thank you for your very positive review we are happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Tempest Arms, it is always great to have glowing feed back. I have taken note of items mentioned in you review about the room. I do hope it didnt spoil your enjoyment. I will be passing all onto the appropiate departments & of course our handy man!!
Bury, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

they have been to tempest arms for my wedding at 5th Nov 2011. they have commented on the quality of the rooms and food served at the wedding. they thought it has been excellent with the faculties provided. the surrounding was quiet. they came with me again for their weekend 17th and 18th march 2012. they were amazed at the quality of the food has been maintained at high standard. they also enjoyed the hot tub at room 11. they said and i also believe that the tempest arms has the highest regards for anyone coming to stay. they ensure the rooms are clean and luxurious to enjoy. The bitter Egg Roller was present to enjoy with the taste of chocolate!! I will never get bored of coming here to relax

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
nitramYorkshire, Owner at The Tempest Arms, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
We are thrilled to have created so much pleasure for you and your family! Thank you for your kind words our staff will be over the moon, it will give us a right beaming smile (as they say!) Cheers until next time we look forward to seeing you again, please pass on our best wishes to Mum and Dad too... Martin & Veronica
Kessingland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Absolutely amazing home cooked quality english food!

A hearty menu full of English pub classics, huge portion sizes and amazing food! I would recommend The Tempest to anyone! I have visited a few times for a meal and it never fails me!

If you can fit a dessert in its a must!!!

Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
'Portions A Plenty' thats us! A real Yorkshire 'good do' stated a guest recently!! And thats what we aim for a good do! Thank you for your review we are Chuffed to say the least, we look forward to seeing you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elslack
Rendezvous Hotel
Woodlands Hotel Leeds
Woodlands Hotel Leeds
#1 of 1 in Gildersome
Premier Inn Skipton North (Gargrave) Hotel

Been to The Tempest Arms? Share your experiences!