“Good meal, noisy dinning room”
Review of The Tempest Arms

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Elslack
The Tempest Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elslack
Colne, United Kingdom
“Good meal, noisy dinning room”
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Went hers with family for my birthday. The meal was great, tasty sea food pancake to start with and game pie for main. The rest of the group all had other choices which they said were good.
The seating for our group of six was just in the entrance area to the dinning rooms, next to us was another group who were a bit noisy, plus the staff going in and out of the kitchen saw the door being crashed several times, coupled with the very noisy coffee grinder. However it didn't spoil our meal too much . l will make sure we ask for a table further in next time we go there.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
nitramYorkshire, Manager at The Tempest Arms, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Thank you for your review and please do on your next visit ask for a quieter table in the main dining room it is always difficult to get the balance right when you really cannot be too sure who will be on the next table and for what reason.
Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
lake district
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We have just arrived home from our 4th stay at the hotel, with friends and we stayed in rooms 8 &9. As usual the rooms were very clean and well presented and the staff on arrival friendly. The dinning how ever was a big let down.
One of reasons we have returned is previous stays our meals have been excellent but this visit found the service very slow and of poor standard, I understand that it was very busy in the afternoon when we arrived but as our table was booked for 7.15 did not think it would of been an issue, we did not get asked if we wanted a wine list when we sat down or during the meal, one meal even almost got thrown on the table when being served as the chips shot off the plate and we had to pick them up as the waiter just walked away. Breakfast was very slow and not of the same previous standard there was not even any fruit left at 8.45.
The Tempest Arms is a lovely place but after our last visit can not see us returning.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dkayLakeDistrict
nitramYorkshire, Manager at The Tempest Arms, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
How disappointing to read this review and even more disappointing you didn’t have a chat before you left.
On the morning of your stay there where stewed prunes, compote of apricots & fresh pink grapefruit segments of which did run low. It was a very busy session and I admit I didn’t have the opportunity to top up the table as usual. But if you had mentioned it to me I would have gladly got some for you straight away. When we have a busy breakfast like that there can be a delay but normally our guests aren’t in a rush and look forward to a breakfast that is prepared for you.
We also have taken on a few new staff, delightful they are too, training is on-going and they only really benefit if they do training on the job so if service was a little rustic and perhaps not as refined as usual then I am sorry. But as you have visited on numerous occasions then you know that isn’t the Tempest norm and I will say neither the Tempest future!

It saddens me that you have taken the decision not to return, may I take this opportunity in thanking you for bringing to my attention you experience I will most certainly pass on your comments.

best wishes ..
Dukinfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Took advantage of the Sunday night offers - room for £75 (usually circa £150) providing you ate in the restaurant. Majority of the rooms are in separate buildings to the pub - they are spacious, modern and clean. We had a four poster (Dog friendly room as we took ours) with a private patio overlooking the stream and fields - very private. The bed was comfortable and we had a little extra - a small box of chocolate which I thought was very nice. The bathroom was massive and super modern (black) with lots of goodies for pampering sessions. The food was absolutely fantastic and the portions massive. I had the lambs liver, mash and red wine gravy which I thought was excellent and my partner had the lamb which he also enjoyed. I have a thing for cheesecake so it was obvious I was going to go for the white chocolate and raspberry with marmalade ice cream - I can honestly say that this is probably the best cheesecake I have ever tasted. My only complaint would be that I ate far too much food that night however of course that is my fault. Breakfast was excellent with the usual bacon, sausage and eggs etc - beans were served in a separate dish and the toast was bloomer bread. The service for both was excellent and nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. I cannot wait to return and whilst it is a couple of months since I have been, writing this has brought back fond memories and I am now about to phone and book another table for dinner as soon as available - that should tell how impressive this place is. Prices for the food are excellent considering the high standard and portion sizes.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
THANK YOU so very much for taking the time to write a review we are thrilled you had a super time and certainly will pass on all your comments to the Team Tempest BIG smiles all round!

Martin & Veronica
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Read reviews on tripadvisor , and decided to stay on impulse break £70 for junior or exec suite inc breakfast , room fantastic huge bed and very modern decor , welcome chocolates flap jack and homemade cake , all the latest magazines , ate in restaurant food was superb and staff very friendly would definately stay again will also be recommending to friends

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Khow
Thank you for your lovely review I am so pleased we fit the bill! We are chuffed to bits that you had a super time and look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Martin & Veronica
St. Annes-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

The rooms are excellent with big comfortable beds and clean rooms. This is backed up by fantastic food with generous portions. We are regular visitors here and can't wait to return! The staff are always extremely helpful a and we hope to take advantage of one of the jacuzzi rooms in the near future!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
nitramYorkshire, Owner at The Tempest Arms, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
THANK YOU so much for your FAB review we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with and look forward to welcoming you again very soon!
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Have eaten here before but this week thought food very disappointing. Huge portions, may be O.K. at lunchtime but would like a bit of finess in the evening. Seafood pancake starter served in an oval dish--no comment! Very solid pancake although filling tasty. Main course of calves liver came with a very heavy madiera sauce and new potato sauteed,,again very heavy ( why not use old potatos?) Extra portion of cauliflower cheese arrived stuck to its serving dish, very overcooked. Service rather slow. A very disappointing evening.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank gadabout70
Oh dear I am so sorry that you appeared not to enjoy your meal with us this time, we do offer many many lighter dishes on the menu and smaller portion sizes too! Perhaps next time, hopefully there will be a next time? We can discuss your requirements on ordering also perhaps you will tell us next time before leaving of your dissapointment.

With all best wishes Martin.
Lytham St Annes
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We regularly travel all the way from the Lancahsire coast to eat at the Tempest Arms. I was almost tempted not to write this review, because you will start going and I may not be able to book a table! The extensive menu will suit all tastes, including various vegetarian options, All food is freshly cooked and we have not been disappointed yet. Our favourites are the Slow Cooked Shoulder of Lamb, the Fisherman's Plank (varied fish and seafood served on a plank of wood) and the Apple and Berry crumble with a jug of custard. Fabulous food, very friendly and attentive service, a warm and inviting bar where you can also eat the same food, and rooms for the night if you can't walk to your car afterwards. A real find!

Room Tip: Book early! This place is really popular, deservedly so.