“Bring Your Ear Plugs and an Extra Fan!”

Retreat Guesthouse Luxury Suites
Ranked #1 of 5 Falmouth B&B and Inns
Sarasota, Florida
“Bring Your Ear Plugs and an Extra Fan!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

I stayed at this little Guesthouse in the hills above Falmouth for one night on November 18 2013. It was probably my mistake not noticing that not every room is air conditioned. My room (#2) was not. It was 86 degrees at 5:00 p.m. when I checked in. The ceiling fan was working poorly so the owner brought in a second fan to "cool things down a bit more." This required that the two samll windows be opened to allow some circulation. That, in turned, opened the door for having to listen to the neighbhors dog bark most of the night. By sunrise (when the dog started barking again) my room had cooled off to 82 degrees so I guess it had cooled a bit. However I had at most 3 hours of sleep. It was not a pleasant experience. Again, it was my mistake that I assumed everything was air conditioned. However for $50 a night (without breakfast) what can you expect. Bring ear plugs if you stay here!

Room Tip: Bring cold compresses and ear plugs if you are in room 2
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Jamaica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

A little escape. Tucked away. Good for privacy. You need a car though. Due to location. Marlene is a gem! Quite helpful and friendly. Breakfast was good and included. Jamaican breakfast! :) A very homey feel. In a residential area. Nice artwork everywhere. My stay was short but pleasant. My room had a view overlooking pool and the town of Falmouth and the sea.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

first let me say that i just read the review by someone who scheduled their wedding party "on short notice" and suffice to say that for a wedding, booking anywhere on short notice, how about taking some responsibility for the results?? the dog bothered that reviewer! are you kidding us? enough on that. the Retreat is a mansion. it is beautiful. the owner has basically created a lovely jamaican home and invited us to enjoy it in a manner rarely available to the average tourist. Years ago i was fortunate to be invited to stay in a french chateau. 200 years of the essence of france that you rarely have the opportunity to experience (speaking for myself). the Retreat will provide the lucky traveler staying there with a very very special taste of this beautiful island and their people.

Room Tip: ask to stay on the side with a view of falmouth and its harbor with the mountains nearby.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

I rented the entire house for a wedding and not only did they overcharge for EVERYTHING, the service was poor, the house caretaker was not hospitable and very aggressive. We were not asked what we wanted for meals, but they had menus in the rooms, when we asked to place orders she gave an attitude. They did not clean the rooms or common area bathrooms the entire weekend, we had to ask for new linens for the beds. The house is not equipped for a wedding and I had to pay extra just to make the house and grounds more appealing for photos, the homeowner was extremely aggressive and was not accomodating to many things. The facility says no PETS but there is a dog there that is under the car port everyday. The house has NO A/C in majority of the rooms and there is an additional charge for using the a/c in the two rooms that has it. They were to accomodate for beach runs, but were not available to transport without charging a fee. The house is also not walking distance to beach, the walk is very far down a steep hill as the house is in the middle of nowwhere. Because of the last minute arrangements I was stuck, but I promise that I will stay at one of the local resorts next time. Although the view is beautiful, the house itself and the service is very misleading.

Room Tip: majority of the rooms do not have A/C.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank nadinef007
Bristow, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2012

My experience at the Retreat Guesthouse was exceptional. The staff and service was really good, they made it feel like a home away from home. The view was phenomenal and there was a shuttle to the beach. Overall my stay at the guesthouse was good.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Victoria, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

During the coarse of our trip to Jamaica, we decided to travel to falmouth and go to the luminous lagoon. We stayed one night at the retreat guest house and i really wish we could have stayed longer. The home was amazing with beautiful views from our balcony. We choose a room with A/C and slept wonderfully that night. The bed was comfortable and the room was cool and very well maintained. We choose to eat breakfast that morning on the grounds and it was great! Staff and owners were kind and very down to earth! My only complaint was that we were not able to enjoy the house and area longer. I do recommend that you get good directions if you don't know the area very well as its off the main road and a few turns are required to get there.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bjf0220
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

I loved staying at Retreat Guesthouse, you are treated like family. Really enjoyed my stay, I loved the nature feel. Fruit tree all over, very nice. Would stay there again. Private location, beautiful rooms. My room was huge, beautiful with lots of Windows. The food was delicious and the family very accommodating. Felt like being in your family's home.
L. W

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Lwhite1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
Mangos Jamaica
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,005 reviews
Melia Braco Village
Melia Braco Village
#1 of 1 in Rio Bueno

Been to Retreat Guesthouse Luxury Suites? Share your experiences!