“Felt like being in your family's home”

Retreat Guesthouse Luxury Suites
Ranked #1 of 6 Falmouth B&B and Inns
Acton, Massachusetts
“Felt like being in your family's home”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

In December 2013 my son and I stayed in this lovely guesthouse with beautiful views of the harbor and surrounding tropical jungle. It is in a very quiet location, security was never an issue since it is a gated property. There is a small, non-heated pool out back which is not shown in photos. The place certainly has character and charm and is very clean.
We opted for having the full breakfast and dinner on site most days. Mrs. Joyce is an amazing cook! It does add up cost-wise however overall is much less expensive than staying in one of those all-inclusive just up the road.
It is a truly beautiful place the owner has basically created a lovely Jamaican home and invited us to enjoy it in a manner rarely available to the average tourist.

Dear Joyce!
Thank you so much for the wonderful time at your house and lovely meals you made for us. We enjoyed everything, from dinner to breakfast and everything in between! You are a fantastic host!
Thank you and have VERY happy new year!

Tatyana
Will definitely visit again!

Room Tip: Book the one with the balcony and the jungle view. Keep in mind that not all the rooms are air-condi...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Savannah, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I only booked for six days ( not enough )Next time I will book at least two weeks-I found the guesthouse very clean and tidy and quiet in the late evenings-this was not a place full of drunk screaming teenagers but mature people who seem to appreciate a relaxed ,carefree environment and only a short walk ( down a rather steep path) or a two minuet drive to the beach where refreshments are available(beer and cooked lobster daily !!! )I would not hesitate to recommend The Retreat to my family and friends- I had a great time-Frank,Tennessee.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Our family of 4 just returned from a 5 day stay in this lovely guesthouse perched high up in Retreat Hills (apparently Falmouth's answer to Bel Air) with beautiful views of the harbor and surrounding lush vegetation. It is in a very quiet location, security was never an issue, and the dogs actually made me feel quite safe as their barking was usually limited to heralding incoming cars and people entering the gated property. There is a small, non-heated pool out back which is not shown in photos and was a pleasant surprise.

We opted for having the full breakfast and dinner on site most days and had Joyce pack us lunches to eat while we explored the various beautiful, clean surrounding beaches. It does add up cost-wise, also factoring in the cost of having someone drive us around, which is something to consider, however it in total was still overall much less expensive than staying in one of those sterile, behemoth all-inclusives just up the road.

Highlights of our trip included Glistening Waters (take your swimsuit!), the all-night Christmas fair in downtown Falmouth, Burwood Beach (and surrounding beaches that you can walk to using this beach as an entry point), and drinking the delicious, freshly brewed coffee each morning out on the back patio (watching various cruise ships pull into port and thanking our lucky stars we were not on them).

If you are looking for an off the beaten path and more local (yet luxurious) experience I would definitely recommend staying here. Joyce is an attentive, hardworking host; she also keeps an immaculate house and is a fabulous cook.

In the spirit of full disclosure:
1. Not all of the rooms are air conditioned (see my room tips below) and there is an extra charge to run the ac during your stay if your room has it.

2. The wi fi is spotty, likely because of the concrete foundation and walls, which also helps guard against hurricanes I suppose.

3. The hot tub was not open. I think she probably would have opened it at our request but we did care or think to ask.

4. Water pressure was adequate but not forceful (it was an option to have it turned up, we were told shortly after arrival), and the hot water took a while to get going for our post-beach late afternoon showers.

5. There's no bath soap provided for showering (as in other B&B's), just liquid hand soap at the sink, so remember to pack that.

Room Tip: From what I could see, rooms 0 and 4 had AC, room 7 did not. Not sure about the other rooms as I did...
2 Thank Erin P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We spent our first 2 nights in the retreat guesthouse with our daughter. It was a nice change from tourist-filled Montego Bay and Negril as well as buzzing Kingston. The place certainly has character and charm and is very clean. The surroundings are very green and feel country-side like. It felt calm and relaxing aside from the many and loud barking dogs at night. It would be useful to provide more detailed directions on the website as it was a bit difficult to find. We had a spacious room, unfortunately not with sea view. Our shower head was broken and it was a bit awkward to take showers. The owner was friendly and welcoming, and was apologetic when we told her at the end of our stay. She made us a nice dinner and Jamaican breakfast. We just wished the portions would have been a bit bigger. The continental breakfast, included in the room price, was on the meagre side as well. The closest town Falmouth is a historical centre with some amazing buildings. Unfortunately the harbour area has been blocked off in what looks like a militarised security zone after turning the area into a shopping and visiting area of cruise ships. We found that really disturbing as they don't seem to let locals into that fenced off area. We were also not able to enter. The retreat guesthouse is about a 20-30min drive to Montego Bay where we spent a lovely day at the famous Doctor's Cave beach. We quite liked it as a start of holidays but thought it was a bit overpriced, and wish the meals, while delicious, could have been more generous in amount.

1 Thank NadjeandMark2013
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 November 2013

my husband and I send 7 days there had a wonderful time, the place was well kept and very clean we stayed in room # 3 had a great balcony view the overall scenery was just amazing we had our complementary breakfast, housekeeping did an excellent job at keeping our room clean our host (MS Joyce) was very warm and friendly plus it was away from the rush and not too crowded just what the name say a nice little "retreat" which was exactly what we were looking for I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: choose a room on the top floor that faces falmouth
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

i stayed for two weeks for my 25th birthday with my friend and i must say it was probably the best two weeks of my life. the food was superb. rooms beautiful clean. service was really nice. i would reccomend getting a taxi number if wanting to go out in the evening as it is a quiet peaceful property in the hills. stunning views of the sea and the hills . a great experience. for my birthday i wanted a massage and the lady who is the manager was able to arrange a massuese to come to the property for a couple hours and give me and my friend a full body massage for a reasonable price by the pool and the jacuzzi. it was an incredible and relaxing day. well recommended if you like relaxation

Room Tip: the master suite room is amazing.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I and family members spent 6 days in November 2013 at the guesthouse. We soon found that guesthouse was not as it advertises. From day one it was clear that it fell significantly short of how it portrays itself on the web. My list of bad experiences at the so-called 'retreat guesthouse' is extensive though I will try to keep this as short as possible to help others from making the mistake of booking it. I include pictures as evidence of my experience. But suffice to say its provisions, location, and service all were not something I would recommend to anyone. I list my points of dissatisfaction:
1.The map shown as to its location from the sea is deceiving. It is further than what is shown. The guesthouse is NOT within walking distance to the sea or any other places of interest including Falmouth, Montego Bay. You are reliant on transport, taxi or own private transport. Walking in the neighbourhood, day or night, as a tourist is not seen as safe so this was not an option.
2. There are dogs barking directly opposite the guest house, strays and those owned by the neighbour. They barked late into the night and early morning daily for all of my 6 days I was there. Broken sleep and very irritating.
3. The hotel advertises free breakfast, hi speed internet, spa bath tub in room,room service, cable tv, jazuzzi in garden. The reality is disappointingly very different. Breakfast is only free if it is 'continental'. By 'continental' the owner, Joyce, provides only toast and tea/coffee. The other alternative breakfast is Jamaican Breakfast, which I later found out that there is a $10 charge for per head. The owner failed to mention that there are these 2 breakfasts on offer, the latter one with a charge. In fact she encouraged us in having the Jamaican Breakfast without mentioning the cost attached which I only found out when I queried with her why she was charging for breakfast when my stay includes free breakfast! ; Wi-fi is virtually non-existent in the guesthouse. The only location where it was somewhat received was on some tables within the dining area , even then it kept cutting off due to a very poor intermediate signal. No wi-fi can be located in the bedroom I stayed in or other parts of the house I tried; spa bath tub in the room did not work. It was not fixed despite mentioning it to the owner a few occasions during our stay and her promise of it being fixed; jacuzzi in the garden was switched off during the stay. The owner initially said it was not working then later stated it is too expensive to fill when there are only a few guests at the hotel. She therefore refused to put it on; very poor television/cable reception in the bedroom, limited choice of channels due to poor reception/picture quality on much of them made them unwatchable; simple cd player in the room for entertainment aside from the TV, room service? With no telephone in the bedroom you're left with the task of running up and down the stairs to tell the owner what you want, that is when she's there (see pictures)
4. The shower head holder was broken in the bedroom and the water emitted from is was very poor with dribbles from one or two jets. This was mentioned to the owner who said it could not be fixed during out stay. This left the only option of when having a shower to manually hold the shower head up with one hand. (see picture)
5. The toilet kept running after being flushed. Again the owner said she would get someone to look at it though no-one did come and look at it aside from the owner.
6. The owner said she wanted to charge extra to cover her costs for me wanting to pay by card as opposed to cash for additional hotel bills (i.e. dinner/breakfast).
7. A electrical live wire in the bedroom lamp was sticking out which had the danger of electrocution. My brother ( an electrician) spotted this when looking as to why the lamp was not switching on. The owner was made aware of this though nothing was done to rectify the problem. (see picture)
8. There is an extra charge for a/c to be switched on in the room
9. There was no kettle for tea/coffee provided in the bedroom despite asking for this. Instead after 3 days a flask of hot water was provided as an alternative! (see picture)
10. No telephone in the bedroom

I'm struggling to say anything positive as to the experience and I felt I should let others know as to just how bad it was there. It is very deceiving as how it is advertised.Take my advise you're better off in a standard hotel. Not worth the stay and best avoided.

Room Tip: Don't bother. Find a hotel near in the resort instead!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank wonder_bliss
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#3 of 6 in Falmouth
Half Moon
Half Moon
#2 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Retreat Guesthouse Luxury Suites? Share your experiences!