“Pebbles Family Adventure”

N-Resort All Inclusive For Adults
Indiana
“Pebbles Family Adventure”
Reviewed 18 June 2010

We were at Pebbles around Easter and I have taken a while to post an official review because I have been unsure of how to rate the place. In the end, I settled on a 4/5 because of how much fun we had as a family – but there are some issues…or at least things worth understanding before going.

First of all, the entrance sign says “Pebbles Family Adventure” and we have since decided that is the best possible way to describe the place. Ok, here we go…

TRANSFERS (I include this because Pebbles includes free transfers)

My children were about 1.5 and nearly 3 years old at the time of the trip. My son flew with his car seat for the plane, but my daughter did not – because Pebbles promised me that they could/would provide one – for a fee - through their contracted transport provider, Jamaica Tours Limited (JTL). Since I didn’t want to lug a second car seat through the airports, I took their word for it. Despite promises and confirmations with Pebbles, JTL had no record of my need for a car seat once we arrived and had no car seats available for us to use. I know Jamaica well enough to know that car seats are rarely used but that was not an option for me. I trusted them and we were let down. It is a long story, but we finally did get an older car seat to leave the airport with – but only because Half Moon Resort heard the commotion and offered to lend us one. On the return trip to the airport, despite several promises direct by JTL and even direct phone calls, they again failed to provide a seat (although I am not sure how much it matters because the first JTL bus had seatbelts that didn’t work and the second had none at all – making installing the seats impossible even if we had them).

I honestly don’t know whether to blame JTL or Pebbles – but I have settled on the belief that Pebbles should have a foolproof way to get their customers car seats. Period. They are a resort that caters, SPECIFICALLY, to families with young children. It is their responsibility to make sure their little guests get them, if requested. Had I not needed/wanted a car seat, transport would have been just fine.

ARRIVAL

We arrived a little before check-in time and our room was not ready, so we were led to the restaurant for a late lunch. We ate, had a couple of beers (both of which I’ll mention later), and our room was still not ready so we grabbed the kids’ swim suits and headed to the beach. In the end, we were there without a room for probably 3 hours or more – including more than two hours after their published check-in time. I finally got fed up so I went to get us our room. The front desk said our second room (we had adjoining rooms) was not ready yet – which is why they didn’t come get us – but that we could move into our main room if we wanted. Umm..ok. So they took me (and our stuff) to the room and I was pleasantly surprised to see that we were upgraded to oceanfront suites. Of course, once we got there, both rooms were completely finished and the guy looked surprised and embarrassed. The rooms had probably been ready for some time but apparently nobody told them (or us).

ROOMS

The rooms were pretty much like I expected – dark varnished wood, high ceilings, partially-separated bedroom area, nice balcony, clean but not fancy, etc. What I wasn’t expecting was the view from our balconies. Since we were upgraded to beachfront, our view was spectacular. We were literally OVER the sand, maybe 30 feet from the water, with views down the coast to the East.

Our adjoining suite was set up for our two kids so we could have some privacy while they slept. They had set up that room with two very nice cribs with blankets and pillows and each crib was draped in mosquito netting – which was cool but proved to be very valuable.

A couple of minor issues: The wooden base of the couch/bed in the living area of our main suite regularly came off the supports and crashed down. It was annoying, but fixable in 3 seconds each time it did. Also, Pebbles used to stock the mini-fridge with beer, juice, soda, fruit, cheese, etc – but they don’t anymore. Our nanny got us milk and some cheese for the kids but I had to go into Falmouth to stock the fridge myself with beer, soda, juice, snacks, etc.

NANNY

The primary benefit of Pebbles – what sets them apart from other family resorts – is the inclusion of the personal vacation nanny. They are yours for basically 8 hours a day (and longer – for a modest hourly charge – if you want them longer). They help with the kids, clean the room, etc. Ours, Judy Ann, was very good. She was friendly and she helped us get the kids dressed, fed, and entertained. She showed us the property, did many activities with the kids (esp. crafts at the kids club), etc. Many families just dump the kids with the nanny for the day and hang out kid-free in the sun with some drinks, but we didn’t want to do that. We both work a lot so this trip was to enjoy our kids – so we were with Judy Ann and the kids almost all of the time (although she did take our son by himself to the kids club several times to play or do crafts).

Ultimately, it is a very nice feature. It is their signature amenity.

FOOD/BEV.

This was a bit disappointing. I knew going in that the Jamaican restaurant was closed and that the Italian restaurant was no longer adults only, but, in general, the food was just okay and definitely lacking in Jamaican food which I love – even on Jamaican night.

I never once saw rice and peas, they had ackee and saltfish only once, the jerk chicken and pork was nothing more than grilled chicken with a super sweet sauce that didn’t even resemble jerk, etc. The best dish of the week, by far, was a soup…a seafood chowder. It was superb – like fancy restaurant at home good. I think I had three or four bowls that night for my entire meal. The beach/pool grill was great – especially for the kids, who eat early. They had good chicken paninis, hot dogs, burgers, corn dogs, jerk chicken, etc. and everything was pretty good. Also, at night, they set up a kids buffet for those who need to eat before regular dinner started (which was nice because meals started VERY late compared to what we are used to) with spaghetti, chicken tenders, finger sandwiches, macaroni and cheese, etc. That was nice. In the end, the food wasn’t bad – everyone found stuff to eat – but it was just okay. Having more Jamaican food would seem to be an easy fix.

Drinks were good and the bartenders (at the pool bar – not the bar in the restaurant) were great – but everything was definitely “low shelf” – as in brands I have never even seen before (even in Jamaica). The beer though, Red Stripe, was served very cold – which was a surprise for an all-inclusive.

RESORT ITSELF

I absolutely loved the resort layout, grounds, location, etc. It has 96 suites – in 12 buildings of 8 – and the footprint of the resort is big enough that it was not crowded. The landscaping was probably the most lush I have seen anywhere. It was spectacular.

The main focus of the resort during the day was probably the waterslide into the pool. They have a nice slide that starts on the second floor above the beach grill/pool bar and dumps into the pool. My kids absolutely loved it! We probably went down it 50 times a day. Seriously.

The beach is also really nice and extends for a couple miles (most of which, to the West, is undeveloped), if you want to explore. The portion in front of Pebbles is narrow, but very calm. I really liked it (although I don’t like the use of groynes and, although it doesn’t bother me, there is some seagrass – but it is cleaned constantly throughout the day). For little ones, there are crates of sand toys several places on the beach.

To go along with the Family Adventure theme, they have a really nice kids club (with activities posted all day long), a goat to feed, horses, tennis courts, a fish pond, a basketball court (sort of), a playground (which was right outside our building and very nice), etc. There is a ton to do with your kids.

SUMMARY

In the end, we had a great vacation. Pebbles is a fabulous place to enjoy fun in the Caribbean sun with your children. My 3 year old still asks about Judy Ann and when we are going back to Jamaica. I would not hesitate to return to Pebbles either – but I REALLY hope they figure out the car seat thing and it would be nice if they upgraded the food and beverage. If we do go again, I will book a private transfer with a driver I trust to provide car seats – but that is just because I would not be willing to trust them in that regard again.

4/5.

5 Thank easton714

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2010

There is not much to say that hasn't already been said in previous reviews for FDR Pebbles - but we were so impressed with our stay and found other peoples' reviews so helpful we had to add a few thoughts of our own.

We went in mid-March with a 3 year old and 8-month old twins. We thought it would either be a lovely break for our busy family or a totally stressful experience. We were thrilled when it turned out to be a relaxing, amazing experience that the WHOLE family loved. We are already planning our next trip to FDR pebbles - as we can't imagine a better place for young kids (and their parents too!)

The best parts:
-Our nanny, Tena - she was incredible - she was fantastic with our kids and became a friend to us as well. We will absolutely request her again (and would recommend her to anyone!) She was sweet and laid-back and just seemed to always know what to do to make sure our kids were happy and well-taken care of.
-our room - beachfront truly IS beach front. My brother who travels a LOT saw our photos and remarked that a room with a view like this would easily cost several thousand dollars at many places....
-the waterslide "big red" - we literally went down it at least 200 times with our 3-year old and it NEVER got old or boring!
-the people/staff at the hotel - everyone was so laid-back and happy and seemed to enjoy their jobs and have fun with each other (and the visitors)

The few things we would hope for improvement on:
-the wait for the shuttle bus was LONG - we probably waited 1 1/2 hours at the airport after waiting for a CRAZY long customs line too - it was the ONLY time during the whole trip where I thought "Oh no - this is going to be bad" (as we had all three kids screaming at us!!!)
-the wait at the swim-up bar at the pool. I love the laid-back Jamaican attitude, but waiting for 1/2 hour to order drinks and a sandwich with a 3-year old who just wanted to swim got a little frustrating! I learned near the end of the trip to wave some tip money around if I wanted faster service (but felt weird doing this!!)
-our room (though the view was incredible!) was quite stinky - smelled like sewage much of the time...

We LOVED our time at FDR Pebbles and have been telling all our friends with young kids to check it out. As long as you are not looking for luxury and just want a great, relaxing, fun time with your kids this resort is PERFECTION!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank simsy79
NYC
Reviewed 25 April 2010

STAFF - Great! extremely nice!

ROOMS - Cabin-like (which I didn't like but some people may), bathroom needs remodeling, never got a hot shower, outdated.

GROUNDS - los of trees, too many for me. Our 1st night there we saw a HUGE rat-like animal run into the bushes (think that episode of the Martin show). Then we got to the room and saw a HUGE insect on the balcony. Also saw mice/rats running around the place next door (think it's called Time & Place). I think so many trees/bushes bring more animals/bugs. & we got bit up a lot by bugs - bring/buy OFF! The bug-bite scars took several months to go away.

FOOD/BAR - ok overall. Wish the buffet was better, Italian Restaurant ok, Jamaican restaurant was excellent, pool bar was ok. Drinks were ok - I didn't get a buzz the whole time.

ACTIVITIES - snorkeling was fun. Not many water sports, we had to walk to the resort next door for jet-skiing.

I've stayed at many hotels in the Caribbean and this was the worst. I think the people giving it 4-5 stars were just so happy to get a break from their kids with nanny-sevice offered. I guess if you have kids this is a great place to go! Maybe we would have enjoyed it more if we brought our daughter (we thought she was too young) but at the same time I may be a little worried having her sleep in that icky cabin. This is definitely a FAMILY place. Do not go unless you want to bring your young children & have nannny service offered.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jya-Jya
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2010

I don't have anything else to say that others haven't except that if you want to find fault you will. We chose not to. You are in Jamaica, the weather is fabulous and the Beach is on your doorstep. It is most suited for families with young children in order to take advantage of the nanny service. It's small enough to know where your children are at all times even if they are unnaccompanied.

It's a family environment 100%.

We miss Latoya. Please say hi to her from Naomi.

Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
bucks county, pa
Reviewed 18 April 2010

Just returned from a week at Pebbles and we were very happy there! The resort is a quick 35 minute shuttle ride from the airport. The rooms are "cabinish" but very large and clean. The king bed is firm and the pillows are not the best but the single beds are very soft and our kids slept very well every night. Mosquitos do bite so make sure to pack bug spray and get over your fears of DEET or your kids will be covered in welts. We stuffed towels under the doors to help keep out the bugs and found that the few bites they did get were in the mornings. The pool is clean but needs a little repair around the edges and tile. The water slide is great and kept all the kids entertained all day. The pool bar/grill is basic but has good sandwiches and a simple arrangement of drinks and beer. Don't expect "top shelf" bar but my wife and I never had a problem getting a "dirty banana", "pina colada", "rum punch", white wine, red wine or Red Stripe draught beer. Definitely bring your own cup if your a beer drinker and want to save yourself trips. The have 8 oz. hard plastic cups and larger 12 oz glass mugs for beer. I used the bigger cup during the day but the smaller cups were fine at night. Don't expect big fancy shows but I felt the nightly festivities were perfect for kids. The kids had a blast every night and did things like a fashion show, talent show, crab hunting, bon fire while roasting marshmellows, and lots of dancing. The nights are over around 10 but that was about the limit for our girls that go to bed at 7:30 at home. Girls got their whole heads braided on the beach for $30 a piece ($50 in the resort). Your nanny will take care of everything for you to include getting you stuff in town if needed. It took my wife a couple of days to get use to the nanny service but after the second day she began to really enjoy the time off to relax. Our nanny's name was Marshalee and we thought she was a wonderful loving person that actually felt like a part of our family by the end of the week. I thought my kids were going to be a mess on the last day but it was actually my wife that took our departure the hardest! I travel a lot with work and I'm use to full service name brand hotels and didn't feel like I was "slumming" it. As a parent, I would say you are sacraficing a little bit on accomodations but watching your kids having a blast all day every day makes it all worth while. I took the time to get my PADI Open Water Certification at the onsite dive shop and my wife and I took a few hours each day to do things together. We just got back from Disney in the fall and both of my girls said they would rather go back to Pebbles on our next vacation. We're looking forward to returning! Lastly, I've read a lot of negitive comments regarding the food but my wife or I thought the food was great. Breakfast has an omellete station, bacon, sausage, hot cereal, fruit, breads, cold cereals, etc. Lunch is always a fresh fish, chicken, beef, or pork, with a great salad bar, fruit, steamed veggies, rice, breads, soups, etc. And dinner was either buffet like the lunch or a few times per week, sit down. Our kids also ate fine and the resort always had a kid's menu with chicken/fish fingers and pasta with butter or red sauce. You're very picky or unrealistic If you come to this place with children under 14 and leave dissatisfied.

2 Thank johng4driver
pebblestrainee, Trainee Manage at N-Resort All Inclusive For Adults, responded to this review, 20 April 2010
Thank you so much for your positive feedback and we’re glad that you decided to chose FDR Pebbles. We wish you all the best with your children and look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Warnest Regards,

Sheree
Orlando
Reviewed 13 April 2010

So after reading hundreds of reviews online, I fretted about going. Here's what we found:

Wait on shuttle bus: We got lucky and only had to wait 5 mins, others told us that they had been waiting an hour. Also would have liked to be able to skip the “pit stop” on the way to resort after the flight with small kids and horrendously long line at immigration. (Tip: be sure to bring a pen with you on flight.)

Dangerously hot water: Not true (never had a problem in our room with lack of hot water or scalding.)

Lack of mosquito netting: Not true (it was over all beds, including crib)

Lack of stocked fridge: Not true (we had water and cheese & crackers upon arrival); nanny was also willing to stock with cereal/milk when we asked.

Lack of food: Not true (grill open 11-8 cooked to order; very good options. Buffet was refilled multiple times at meal times while we were there. If you waited til the very end of the meal time, of course they were putting it away, but otherwise there was plenty. Deserts and breads tasted best, but there was always at least one thing really good at each meal to be had. It was buffet food, of course, which overall was so-so. Someone said the pizza from the Italian restaurant was great - we didn'tagree.)

Lack of alcohol in drinks: Not true. (Be sure to bring your own cup, and they will fill it up for you. Perhaps if you are rude, they might be watering down your drinks, but we never found this to be the case AND we weren't tipping the bartenders constantly, either.)

Lack of good tv: Ok, this is true. But who goes to Jamaica to watch tv anyway? It was small, fuzzy and had horrible sound. But there were the standard US channels, which worked out well for our kids.

Pestered by locals: True. Constant stream of locals up and down the beach trying to sell you this, that, or the "good stuff". If you don't like to be bothered while you shop, don't even think of heading down the beach to Bamboo Village. Security (Dennis) is excellent on the beach and the resort overall, though. I felt very secure letting my tween roam the resort, even at night.

Great nannies and staff: TRUE. Loved our nanny, Nicole. My tween and my toddler adored her. The tween already asked to come back next year. We met families who had been coming for 5 years, 7 years, etc. Our toddler went right to her. She took the tween and got him acclimated for us, and once he got the hang of things, he was off and running and had a blast. Game room was a perfect fit, with pool and ping pong tables, video games and lots of people his age to interact with. Erwin and Shane were engaging and amazing to watch interact with the guests - of all ages. They have amazing personalities. We took the tubing trip and we highly recommend it. Our driver, Milton was also a great asset to FDR Pebbles- great guy. We also highly recommend getting Lorenzo to take your family pic on the beach. He did a great job with ours, and is very reasonably priced.

People hogging the pool chairs and towels: We never had a problem. Seemed to be plenty of turnover and if you asked for towels, lifeguard would bring you some when next batch came out of the dryer.

Lack of internet: Somewhat. We got online from time to time with no problem. Other times, we couldn't get on at all. But see tv comments above. There were computers with internet available at the top of the slide if you really needed to get online.

We managed to lose a pair of prescription sunglasses and an expensive hat while we were there, and no one turned them in. That was the only negative we experienced, and a few bug bites on the baby. Will it keep us from coming back? Absolutely not.

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2010

As long as you know what to expect you won't be disappointed. We spent 2 weeks there with our kids ages 9, 7, and 4 and had a great family vacation. Yes, the rooms are dark and very dated - but who cares, we didn't spend any time there anyways. Yes, the food selection is very limited and they sometimes run out if you eat late - but I thought that what was offered was surprisingly good. Yes, the resort in general has seen better days and is beginning to look a little tired - but I easily overlooked this also. Yes, the beach is small and there is only one pool - just made it easier to keep tabs on the kids. Yes, some things such as the glass bottom boat ride and a stocked mini fridge are no longer included (I can't imagine why I'd want food/drink in the fridge anyways - the restaurants and bars were only seconds away and open during all my waking hours). Yes, I have been to 5 star hotels and have to say, I like the luxurious surroundings and all the amenities you would expect from these types of resorts. But all of the negatives here were overcome by a few simple things - the nanny and the other wonderful staff. I really enjoyed the small size of the resort also. By the time we left we knew many of the staff by name, they knew our kids who were able to roam freely (the older 2) without worry as the resort is so compact. We could find them in an instant as somebody usually knew their whereabouts if we didn't. Then there was Givannah, our wonderful nanny. She entertained our 4 year old mostly and was very helpful. It gave us time to relax, read whatever. As others have said, for $6.00 an hour she would also babysit in the evening. Several nights we had her return at 6:00 and take the kids to dinner while we ate alone ( we always paid her $20.00 for staying even if it was just a couple hours). The Italian restaurant was surprisingly good although inconsistent. The menu never changes (which was tiring for us on a 2 week stay) and sometimes the same dish you loved one night may be a little different the next. Overall though, really good for an all-inclusive resort. The buffet also had some nice selections - I was always able to find something I really liked. Whoever does the soups and the cheesecakes know what they are doing..the desserts in general were very well done (I do not usually like the desserts in the all inclusive resorts but these ones impressed me). The beach grill was also good - typical (decent) hamburgers, hotdogs etc. and the most amazing homemade corn dogs (they were less amazing in our second week - again, a little inconsistent. Yes, drinks were watered down but if you ask Simpson at the pool bar for more rum he will usually oblige - mine were quite strong at times! Freddy, the manager is always around to talk to - I have NEVER experienced that before! One big complaint my husband had was the shower - pretty much torture to take one as the water was always too hot or too cold and we seemed to have no control over which it was. Didn't bother me much - I just managed to get clean each night by stepping in and out as I could tolerate it and as long as I could manage - that's all I care. It's only 5 or 10 minutes out of my day - no big deal. If you like to "enjoy" your shower and appreciate the experience of showering (as my husband seems to) you will be more than a little annoyed by this. Re: bugs - I was eaten alive by sand flies or something - luckily someone had some cortisone 10 to give me and some oral benadryl. I was the only one in my family afflicted (or at least who reacted to and noticed the bites) along with only 2 other people I met at the resort during our stay (you get to know almost everyone). But I had the same problem in Cuba and St. Lucia - it's the beaches not the resort itself. If you have sensitivity issues like I clearly do, bring Cortisone and Benadryl and you'll be fine - I will next time. Bring money for tipping staff and do be sure to tip your nanny well also - they don't make a lot. We also brought ours a little gift which she liked.
Overall, a great vacation, the kids had a blast and we'd go back - just be sure you know it's NOT more than a 3 star in terms of accommodations and faciltiies.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank JoyceOntario
Also consider these accommodations in or near Falmouth
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Royalton Blue Waters
Royalton Blue Waters
#1 of 4 in Falmouth
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to N-Resort All Inclusive For Adults? Share your experiences!