El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
US$153
Official Site
US$273
Orbitz.com
Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn(Luquillo)(Great Value!)
US$131
Ocean Pearl(Luquillo)
US$123
US$242
US$209
No availability for your dates from our partners
Hix Island House(Isla de Vieques)
  • Breakfast included
Bravo Beach Hotel(Isla de Vieques)
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
7,754 results
All reviewsprivate islandpalomino islandwater parkla marinapuerto ricomarina areachopssplash barferry ridehorseback ridingcable carrented a carwater shoeswalk in closetcafe caribeocean viewlas casitas
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Thoroughly enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, private island, friendly staff, wonderful food and awesome scenery. Concierge service was very helpful. Hotel bus takes 35-45 minutes from airport to hotel. Many pools to choose from. We went during quiet season, I think our experience may not be a relaxed during high winter vacation time.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2011

After hearing so much about this property for many years, and knowing that it was quite a ride away from the airport and downtown San Juan, my expectations were high. And then to learn that its a Waldorf Astoria property, the brand image had me very excitied. After staying there for 4 days, I must say I was very disappointed. While the venue, the property and the views are spectacular, the building infrastructure itself is in BAD need of total renovation. This Grande Dame is definetly showing her age. Cracked plaster, dirty carpets, tired and dingy furniture throughout. A fitness center you'd expect to see at a Hampton Inn (no offense, but this is a "waldorf astoria resort" for heavens sake!). Cheesy casino...

But the worst is the quality and appeal of the food. Awful. Really bad. Couldnt find fresh anything - fish, vegetables, fruit or a decent glass of wine to save my life. Even the burgers were hurtin''. The only saving grace is the onsite Starbucks.

The pool and the private beach areas are nice.

Room Tip: We had oceanview room in Las Brisas area. Fine.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Everything about this place was an expensive hassle! Customer service was terrible. It took an hr to check in. The staff acted as though it was a chore to take excessive amounts of your money to provide you with mediocre service! There was an army of people working there but none were actually working. Doing anything at this resort consisted of a LONG wait. A wait for a cable car to get to the marina, then another wait for a boat that only comes hourly to get to the beach. All this only to get treated very rudely by the staff. They charge you to park you car daily and if I did take their shuttles then I would've had to deal w/ an openly DRUNK bus driver. When I say that I mean a half full bottle of rum in the cup holder! The food was cafeteria quality at Ruth Chris prices. I actually ate over 75% of my meals off the resort. I was at this resort in 1998 and had an awesome time. It was nothing like I remembered and went completely downhill. The resort itself was dirty and run down. I would never go back, even if it was free. I left there feeling like my pockets were picked.

Room Tip: Full Ocean view room is worth the difference. Do not stay at any of the lower level or you will have to wait for the cable car to do anything.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lemarph81
Reviewed 17 November 2011

The room was nice, the staff seemed well trained but we found it boring and expensive. One could go to a Club Med for less and not have to decide if a $12 dollar pina colada was worth the bother. The water park was great for kids of all ages. The necessity of taking a boat to get to the beach (waiting in line in the heat and humidity sucked) or waiting similarly to take the funicular between the top and bottom was really a bother. We went there for destination wedding in the family. We don't golf or gamble. We felt like captives and spent most of our time eating very expensive food that wasn't all that great and drinking way overpriced drinks and otherwise sitting around watching the tropics decay.

The place is immense and initially one is dependant on the staff to find anything. We took their coach from the airport at $74 each RT. They commandeered our bags and we had to use a bellman to get to our room ($20 extra fee we didn't find out about until we checked out). There is a $3 extra fee for making up the room every day. It's not all that much but it left the impression that they were going to gouge us at every opportunity. We wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: The Marina or Las Olas saves the hassle of dealing with the funicular. Anything one needs can be had there without having to deal with the main hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Bloomington_INFolly
Reviewed 16 November 2011

We were very excited to have gotten a room at El conquistador through Hotwire, however I think this little fact made them treat us as 2nd class guests ~ which is never a good idea (important people hotwire too, but more importantly ANY guest should be treated as well as the next~ regardless of price paid). I will give a real review of our experience:
We had spend our morning on Isla de Viequez and after a great morning of snorkelying and an afternoon in the southern part of El Yunque, we finally arrived at El conquistador worn out and tired. Parking was the first issue I found. We simply wanted to check in and they make that a pain in the tushie. Once we were issued our room tickets we had to quickly get back to our parked car to avoid a charge ~ yeah, a charge to park your car up front while you check in. To park your car you can either valet or park yourself, I was annoyed by this point and parked myself to avoid giving them anything extra after how I was treated when I first arrived. Parking does cost which I found completely ridiculous. I know resorts have to make their money, but 20 a day for parking? Really? Ok, so finally get up to our room which is nice enough but for a waldorf at this price? Not worth it. Refrigerator is really an ice box with no place to put the ice and our phone didn't work which took them about a day to fix. Bird droppings ALL OVER the little porch we had. Room itself was just ok, nice 20 years ago I bet. I would have been HEATED had we paid the original price and not lucked out on hotwire. Coming from a small villa on Isla de Vieques I was surprised to be dissapointed. I will say, Palamino Island is worth the stay. I would maybe come back simply for that. The pools were also very nice with a great view. The food was pricey and not that great where we ate at (sting rays). But the pizza place by the pool is where we ended up doing almost every meal. Pizza's are reasonable. We also found a place to buy our own alcohol on sight which was nice (it's at the ice cream place on your way down to the 'tram'). One thing I thought they were majorly lacking was anything to do at night. For some reason I expected some sort of night club or bar. All we found was a dance and no bar~ mosly teens there I think. All in all, it is a beautiful property but they are lacking on their customer service and organization in general. Oh, and checking out was more of a nightmare than checking in.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple