“Extraordinary 2nd honeymoon vacations”

El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
“Extraordinary 2nd honeymoon vacations”
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

I went with my husband to this hotel. We were celebrating our wed anniversary. The housekeepping prepared a cacke with towels and a heart with flowers. It was a nice surprise. Also, I have beeb in other hotels at the island and this one is a little bit more expensive, but it's totally worth it. On my check in I asked how much was the ride for palomino Island (an amazing small island that is private) and they told me it was included in the hotel fees. Also the wifi and other games were included, so basically is worth it!!!! The views are amazing! It have so many things to do that is relaxing, but not boring. Definitelly will come back!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,629)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I travel for business, so I will preface this by saying we used points and miles to take myself, my wife and our 4 children, ages 7-6-3-1 along with both my parents and my in-laws on a 10 day trip to the resort.

I was in touch with the resort before our trip, and requested a room at La Marina. They were able to arrange it. All in all my dealing with the staff before my stay was outstanding.

Rooms--As I mentioned, we stayed at La Marina. It was great. From our balcony you could the ferry to the island, as well as a beautiful view of the ocean. It was outstanding. Our room was great. We had a king bed and a pull out couch, and plenty of room for our family. We were set up with an adjoining room for our parents. All in all absolutely no complaints on the rooms.

Food---I do not understand people getting on here and saying food was expensive. It is a luxury resort, of course food is going to cost you something. But I don't think it was unreasonable. You could get a burger and fries for $13, which really isn't that bad. We did the buffet breakfast every morning, which is outstanding, and then just ate dinner. All in all we ate well.

Water Park--Loved it, and so did the kids. Probably our favorite place in the resort. Because we were going for 10 days, we negotiated a all inclusive water park pass, and went 5-6 times for a few hours at a time. My kids loved it.

Pools---Again, great. No complaints at all.

Beach--I have been to numerous beaches, and this one is hard to beat. My kids loved the boat ride, and the beach was as perfect as you can imagine.

This trip was for our 10 year anniversary, so for 1 night we had the grandparents watch the kids and spent a night at Las Casitas. It was great. Amazing section of the hotel.

Honestly, I could go on and on. I want to give a big thanks to Maricely who was a great help in making this as good of a trip as I could have imagined. As I mentioned, I do not understand the negative attitude toward this place. I spent a lot of time ensuring we would have a trip of a lifetime, and we did. I will be happy to answer any questions people may have, just shoot me a note.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank bjk1025
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The hotel itself is gorgeous, with an amazing view no matter which room you stay in. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable displaying a tropical motif. The thing about the resort is that the food and most of the amenities are not included. The food is pretty expensive if you stay in the resort the whole time. Also, there are extra fees if you want to access the water park, which frankly isn't worth it. I would recommend instead just going into the hotel pools and definitely taking advantage of the ferry that takes you to Palomino Island, where the resort's actual beach is located. I personally recommend not staying in the Hotel the whole time, and instead taking time to explore Fajardo's beaches and other local attractions.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I read all the reviews before I booked, and they vary, and they are all accurate!
Pros: Gorgeous resort with extensive amenities, a variety of rooms and rates from butler assisted LaCasitas (marketed as a separate hotel, but really right there) which approaches WA level, to garden view rooms that simply get you there.
There are several pools to choose from, there will be one fairly near your chosen wing. I found the ones we used to be clean and not overcrowded midweek in Nov.
Palomino Island is a very pleasant beach with shade available for those of us that need to hide from the sun after a bit. Lots of water sports or horseback riding activities available for a fee on Palomino. We always found chairs available, and thought the chicken salad sandwich at Iguanas to be surprisingly good.
Going to our room at the Marina was a lot like the Tripadvisor ads running now: You schlep your stuff a long way, open the door to a bland room, then fling open the drapes to the view, and you want to give the resort a full 5 stars. The ocean facing views all over the resort are magnificent. Spring for ocean views if you can. Our room was spacious; the bath area is a combined dressing area and it is also huge, if bland. Our bed was quite comfortable.
The food here was surprisingly good in our opinion! Good reviews from us for Blossoms (Chinese not Japanese menu); La Piccola Fontana, Iguanas on Palomino, which I will review separately.
Cons: Food is pricey. Close your eyes when ordering, or mix it up between low and high end venues. Breakfast at $25 each did not seem worth it to me. Café Caribe was the least rated venue both for food quality and service. Ice cream is OK there, but good luck getting those kids to ask you if you'd like some service.
Distance between points in the resort takes a lot of time to cover. It could take 15 min from our Marina room to the front desk area via the funicular and two elevators and the walk. I chose to view the funicular as a scenic enjoyable part of the journey, and to be thankful it existed!
Our bad experiences: the safe in our room was non functional. We reported it, and it took a while, so the next day, I reported it again. They fixed it right away this time.
The rooms are not soundproof, you can hear the occasional kids crying. The toilet flushed like an explosion. The room was a bland beige. Maybe that's to invoke serenity? If so, it missed the mark. I found the room to be generally quite clean except for the storage drawers in the bath dressing area. I wrote a note asking housekeeping to clean, and it was done right away.
The last "bad" comment is that they shouldn't charge extra for the water park. It's very nice to have it there and we really enjoyed the lazy river. But to charge so much for daily admittance is just wrong for a couple of slides.

I give this resort very high marks because of the wonderful relaxing time we had with overall great food, lots of available activities, overall cleanliness, a staff eager to please, and did I mention those views?

Room Tip: Watch out for Las Olas rooms that might overlook the funicular. Choose La Marina for rooms with a v...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yelir
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 November 2013

If you see a price quoted they don't really mean it. Read the fine print and you learn that the resort itself "taxes" you for staying there. They call it a "resort fee." I thought my nightly payment was already the resort fee. An $800 stay is really a $900 stay. Why not just publish the true price? Shame on the owners. BTW, it is also $16 a day extra for parking.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank SN A
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Loved it loved it loved it. Nice golf course, great food, very well priced, lovely people, lots to do or not depending on your choice. Great for adults and children alike. Well worth going to see for yourself.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Elizabeth, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We booked this resort on recommendations from two different friends. We stayed here first week of November for 5 nights with 2 kids age 4 and 6.

First I'd like to say that I didn't feel the hotel was very kid oriented. Sure they have a water park but you have to pay to get in. FYI: its only $5 after 4:00 and closed at 5:30. 1 1/2 hours was plenty for the kids. There weren't too many kids at the resort unless they were somewhere else, probably the beach. The hotel had some kids activities scheduled for the pool and beach over the weekend but at times I had to go search for the activities. It wasn't very well advertised. Often no one but my kids were at the activity. The scavenger hunt was a big hit. Both kids loved to collect their bracelets and consult with other kids to see if they had gotten all of theirs.

There was really no night life at the resort. There is a game room, but all the games were a fee. No shows like in other all inclusive resorts.

The beach was very beautiful but sort of a hassle to get to. It was a 20 min trip on a boat to the private island which the kids enjoyed but then you were kind of stuck on the island. Couldn't really just come and go. In other resorts i'd go to the beach for a bit with kids while hubby stayed at the pool bar. Couldn't do that here.

Main pool with bar was nice for kids. Had a shallow end for my little one. They had floaties which my daughter was able to use for free.

Considering you're paying for drinks, service at the pool was slow. Drinks were very pricey. I believe it was $12 for a pina colada in a small plastic cup. We ended up doing a jar of sangria which was about $36 but more cost efficient since we were able to get more than 3 cups.

Our room was nice and spacious. We stayed at Las Vistas wing with view of golf course, tennis courts, and rainforest. Not ocean view but very beautiful. One of the best views I've had. Someone else complained that rooms at the marina were old.

Food was pricey but we knew that going in. We stopped at Walmart (we rented a car) and bought cereals for breakfast. We ate lunch at resort then ventured out for dinners. Ate at Jibarro in Old San Juan 1 night (good) and at Estacion 2 nights (excellent). La Estacion is 1 min from entrance of resort. We ate at the steak house another night. Steak was delicious but again very pricey. We ended up splitting a porterhouse steak. They charge $6 to split but that was cheaper than purchasing another meal.

Overall it was a nice vacation. Being anywhere but at work in always nice. We wouldn't do it again mostly because it wasn't' all inclusive. We felt like we were always holding back to try to save $$. Love the freedom of all inclusives. I also feel all inclusives also cater more to the guests and are always aiming to entertain and please. There was no entertaining here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan