“7:56 pm and my room is still not ready....” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fajardo
Colorado Springs
“7:56 pm and my room is still not ready....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I've been waiting on the lobby since 6:00 pm. My room is still not ready. Absolutely ridiculous. Terrible service. Stay elsewhere if you can.

Great looking property but tough to enjoy from the lobby. Waldorf and Astoria must be turning in their graves because of how their hotels have deteriorated in service.

I travel around the world and stay in top hotels, but a Hampton Inn would be much better than this.

I'm about ready to open my bag on the coffee table in front of me and go to sleep on their lobby sofa.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ruben G
Dermot1126, General Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Our Sincere apologies that we did not get you in your room faster, if you are still in house please reach out to me and we would love to make this right for you. We may have had a specific room blocked for you and I know we had weather and flight issues with out bound guests.....Definitely not the norm for us and our sincere apologies but if you are still here please reach out to me.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,515)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

The service at this hotel was above and beyond any other resort we have stayed at. Specifically our concierge Juan Rosario! I started talking to Juan shortly before we arrived to arrange for dinner reservations and activities. We were traveling with another family, so we had 4 adults and 4 teenagers. He consistently followed up and made sure we were all having a good time. All the restaurants were fantastic! He never let us down. We will miss his smiling face and helpfulness! There was many activities for everyone to join in. The resort even had a scavenger hunt where there were different colored bracelets at locations through out the property for children to find!The lifeguards at Coqui water park taught the kids how to skim across the pool and they loved all the contests! Palimino Island was an experience in and of itself from horseback riding, jet skiing, hiking, snorkeling, a game of chucko, or just sitting in the sun and admiring the beauty! I could go on with how much we loved it! The only complaint would be we don't want to leave as we are now heading back home!

• Stayed February 2014
Clifton Park, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

My partner and I recently spent 8 days and 7 nights at this Waldorf Astoria property and had a very nice time in spite of some issues that were encountered during our stay. The first room that we were given, was shockingly shabby considering this is a Waldorf Astoria property. The sheets and the shower curtain were stained, the tub had rust, there was a collection of dust and dirt in the sliding door track and around the room perimeter. Also, the door to the AC was sweating and there were small flying bugs, both dead and alive that were present. The staff and housekeeping manager were very apologetic and they switched us to another room, which was an improvement. After settling in, we went to one of the restaurant bars to have some apps and refreshments. The food was mediocre, the drinks good, but we had an excellent server that made our visit very enjoyable. When we returned to the room, there was a complimentary cheese and fruit platter, but we had to have it replaced, as the dish was crawling with small ants. I realize that this is a tropical climate, but I have traveled to many tropical locations and never encountered bugs in my room. Throughout our stay we ate at many of the venues and again the food ranged from mediocre to excellent. Dinner at the upscale dining venue Chops was excellent and Blossoms was good. Overall the service ranged from above average to excellent, depending on the venue or event. Beverage service was satisfactory, but as a Mojito aficionado, I can say that one of the best I have had was prepared by Tanya, at the Oasis Bar & Grill in the Coqui Water Park. It was a perfectly balanced Mojito as it should be. The location of the resort is extraordinary, but sadly the facilities did not live up to the Waldorf brand. I do hope that they seriously consider giving this property a complete renovation so that it lives up to the Waldorf reputation. When they do, I will definitely return!

3 Thank cmcdlm
flowood, ms
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

This property offered many beautiful attractions including golf, a private island, beautiful pools, and a wonderful waterpark( there is a charge for the last one). Bring a sound machine with you if noise bothers you. The coqui frogs holler all night here!! The rooms are not up to Waldorf Astoria standards but are probably one of the nicer hotel rooms in the San Juan area. In San Juan, we found the outside of hotel properties are more important than the inside of the hotel room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has the most recent upgrade!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank frc59
Matt L, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
We really appreciate your review of your last stay at El Conquistador. The resort does have tremendous beauty, and with 500 acres of land, privacy and tranquility can certainly be found if desired. We continuously make an effort to keep the room product up to date, clean, and fresh. At times, this is challenging based on high occupancy levels, but it certainly is a year round focus of the Team. We do appreciate your feedback and are hopeful that you can come back and visit the resort again very soon.
Commerce Township, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

This resort is in a beautiful location and could be top notch, but it's not.

Let's begin with what I liked about my room - it was large. Now for the rest. The hotel is Days Inn quality with rooms that are in dire need of upgrading and are poorly maintained. The furniture in the rooms and the public spaces is old and threadbare. My room had many stained and dirty surfaces and you could see the dirt and mildew buildup in the corners. The air conditioning cooled the room but didn't seem to dehumidify, and the blower was like a turbofan engine. Even though you must pay a resort fee, I didn't get clean sheets every time I asked for them.

I was there for a business conference which was a small consolation. I know it's difficult to prepare food for a large group, but I've been to many conferences and the food here was among the worst. Again, the public areas of the conference center were less than stellar. There were small groupings of furniture in the public areas that sat on area rugs, and these rugs were taped all the way around with duct tape. Additionally, the carpet was bubbled.

On my last full day, I did get to spend a couple fo hours around the pool and the service was good. Also, there are two workout facilities on property. Interestingly, one is as bad as I've ever seen, and the other (in the spa) is as good as I've ever seen in a hotel.

I ate dinner at Blossoms on my last evening and it was one of the worst, and priciest Chinese dinners I've ever had. Burnt cashews along with a strong oil flavor, but very little other flavor was my experience.

In all, I'd never choose this place as a drestination for a vacation.

Room Tip: Make sure you have an ocean front room. My room faced a palm tree and the corner of a tennis court.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank T W
Matt L, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your stay with us. The comfort of our guests is our first priority, and I appreciate your sharing your concerns regarding the condition of your guest room. I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure that cleanliness issues and never interfere with the singular Waldorf luxury experiences we promise our guests. I will also keep your review in mind as we look towards changes in our menu offerings. Thank you again for your feedback, and I invite you to contact us directly if you have any additional comments or suggestions.

Matt Leavitt
mleavitt@luxuryresorts.com
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Hotel was very relaxing and had all of the amenities one needed. Hotel Staff was very thoughtful and provided top notch service. Beds were extremely comfortable and rooms were spacious. Drinks were outstanding and the opportunity to visit the island for snorkeling, boating and beaching was great! Fredrick as an outstanding driver and tour guide to Old San Juan for us during our stay. You could tell he was very proud of his heritage and very conscious of our needs and wants to during our visit.

Room Tip: The views from the Las Brisas building were outstanding
3 Thank BrianH0801
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay with us. It is great to hear about the outstanding service that you were offered during your stay. We are hopeful you can share your experience with others and come back and see us again very soon.
Bolton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at this resort as part of a work event. The rooms were modern and beautiful and large and very clean. The staff was great. The food was great. The pool was awesome. There is nothing I can possibly say that isn't first rate with this location. Cant wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wow, what a pleasant review of the resort. We certainly thank you for taking the time to write some of your impressions during your stay. We certainly will welcome you back and any of your friends and family that you might share your experiences with. We look forward to your return arrival.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
Caribe Hilton San Juan