“Island of fun”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
United States
“Island of fun”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Had a great stay, the island is the highlight. We will come back again and rent a car and eat all of meals off the property. Meals of the property had better service, tasted better and were MUCH lower cost.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,639)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The property was very nice... The views were breath taking. The pools, activities, service, Palomino Island, was awesome. The water park was nice but pricy; should be part of the stay and not additional cost.
The food was very expensive and terrible even the fine dining; I would not eat there again.
I would definitely stay at the resort again, but will never eat at their restaurants.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second stop (funicular) were very quiet, and had its own pool/Jacuzzi.
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed 27 February 2014

If you are a couple looking for a getaway or a honeymoon spot this is NOT the place for you. Many young families with small children everywhere. Restaurants, pool, beach, bars (yes, even there), shops are all teeming with kids - which could be fine if you are there with your family. I have 3 children (who were not with me at the time) and am used to kids. But, I did not appreciate the undisciplined children banging on my door at 6am, the children colliding with me as they ran wildly through the halls or the kids playing billiards in the martini bar (the one place you'd think would be adults only) while their parents tried to relax only to disturb the other child-free couples trying to enjoy a drink and some conversation. The hotel is very large but could use some freshening up. Very nice ocean views. The staff is mixed - some very nice and others seemingly annoyed and unwilling to be helpful. The front desk employee who informed us that we were staying at a family resort and should expect noise in our room at ALL hours fell into the latter category. What happened to quiet hours? We had to change rooms midway through our stay (due to the banging and shouting at 6am from the family next door) and instead of being put into a room next to another couple (which should have been easy to do as the resort was only half full) we were put into a room next to another noisy family. I think the front desk worker was trying to prove a point?! The resort is very large with many restaurants and shops. The beach is a 20 minute ferry ride - not the 8 minutes they claim on the website. It's easier to just stay at the pool and avoid the crowded elevators, funicular and boat ride. If I had my teenage children with me I would probably give this place a different review but as a couple looking for a nice few days away I found myself being irritated and disappointed with the experience.

1 Thank C M
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Prior to my visit to El Conquistador in Puerto Rico, I had read some pretty negative reviews on TA. I will say I had some reservations about staying at El Conquistador. First, the Good: the property was very nice...much more so than I thought. The grounds were beautiful and meticulously maintained, and the view was truly spectacular. It could not have been any better. The staff was SO VERY friendly and helpful. This attentiveness was "real" versus the "I have to be nice because it's my job". The amenities were plentiful and we loved the pools, Palomino Island (great for everyone!) and activities. Our room was clean and also had a good view of the ocean. The Bad: the food in some (I stress some) of the restaurants was awful. Really! However, some of the other dinning options were fine, like the Chop House and Stingray Cafe. Note: You can go a mile down the road to Passions or Estacion for a great meal either by your own car or taxi. You can get a taxi from the hotel very easily and call them for a pick up after dinner. The Ugly: the hotel is showing it's age. There is no getting around that. Parts of the hotel and rooms were worn and the physical property needs a few "nips and tucks". The ceiling of our room actually had mold growing. We did not realize this until we smelled paint and that was because the maintenance crew was coming in while we were gone to patch and repair. However, this was minor and we didn't notice until the last night of our stay. In conclusion I have to say that we had a very nice stay at El Conquistador. I understand some of the negative reviews, however, a vacation is what you make it. If you want perfection in a hotel than go down the road a bit and stay at the St. Regis or Ritz Carlton; although even those hotels also have their problems. And, mostly likely you'll have pay a lot more!

5 Thank cmactravel
Atglen PA
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We just stayed 5 nights at the resort and had a very nice time. I thank those who provided their insight on this website and I thought it only fair to pay it back by doing so myself.

Property is all that everyone says it is. Huge in scale and offering most everything one could look for in an island resort. We traveled on holiday so it was a "pay as you go" adventure for us, and pay you will. Those traveling on a business junket would probably have a different feel for the place. On the whole you are well isolated here. They dissuade you from even bringing a car with the fees for parking- $15 self w a long walk to and fro or $20 plus tip for valet. No complimentary shuttle to get away either. If you are adventureous and want to see the surrounding area you will need a car and we were glad we had one. We drove to El Yunke, 50 mins, and had a great time there. $4pp if you stop a the visitors center, free if you just drive in. We used local restaurants every night which more than offset the cost of a car. Fajardo offers many opportunities for boating, snorkeling, fishing, etc. and I would advise seeking them out or pay double and do it with the resort.

Palomino Island is terrific! 150 passenger vessels run 9-6 on the half hour and deliver you to a small slice of paradise. We felt this was the best thing offered here. The food on the island is very good and the service was excellent. Clean facilities, lots to do, beautiful beach, etc. Cannot be beat.

We started out in a room at the top of the cliff with a lovely view north. Large, clean, and well appointed. We had some very noisy neighbors and we moved down to the marina after one night. Different view but magnificent in its own more immediate way. Our marina room was a bit smaller but still clean and well done. The HVAC was noisier in the second room but it was no problem, we slept with the doors open to the balcony anyway. The funicular is not an issue as long as both are running and you allow yourself some time- it is the islands.

From the Marina area you can walk off site along the coast and in about 7 minutes you'll be in Croabas Park. This is the staging area for the bio-bay tours and also offers several nice restaurants. We took this walk often over our short trip. I would suggest it to anyone.

If you want an expensive and cushy place this will suit you well. My wife loved it. If an isolated resort makes you feel like you are missing the real world I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you want the big sweeping views stay up top, if you like the immediacy of the marina stay down th...
5 Thank Dmglen
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Being that this was our second trip we were really excited. you don't have to leave the resort everything is there.Palomino Island is wonderful. Jet skiing,kayaking,paddle board,and horseback riding.just to mention a few.the views you get to see when horseback riding are wonderful.so is the family that take care of the horses.bless them!! they have done a great job, if you want to help these horses you can by sending donations in to palomino stables.They have a 11 week baby horse. so cute.Contact the stables if you can. Animals are importan too!!! The water park was fantastic! You can also go snorkeling etc..just book with palomino island booth that they have on the island.The pools were beautiful! There are shops all over. Yes, there are a lot of little kids but it didn't bother us,we have two teenagers.I will say the prices have gone up on everything from breakfast,lunch and dinner to buying shakes and sun lotion.Watch what you pay in taxes daily.we did have little things happen but they were willing to fix and take care of the problems,yes you are on vacation but things happen.Always double check reservations on all your daily activities ahead of time.Weather was great, the rain didn't last too long but was on and off half the day.Use 50 lotion. You will be surprised how much sun you get.

Room Tip: Our first time we had the garden room,facing the golf course and tennis.nice quiet.less expensive.Fo...
1 Thank kelly o
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel 2 weeks ago. It was an amazing experience, the hotel is beautiful is clean and the location is perfect. Rooms are nice and the views are priceless, we had such a great time. Cant wait to go back

• Stayed February 2014
Matt L, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for the very pleasant review. So happy to hear your expectations were met and exceeded! We are eagerly awaiting your return!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan