Well we will start off with our initial room being a huge disappointment. The entire hotel needs upgrading. It had an early 90's look to it. The ocean view was outstanding, which was the highlight of the room. The service was ok, nothing to brag about. Many of employees at the hotel were friendly, however the others were downright rude. Not sure if it's because of the language barrier. That was a real turn off. Additionally, what we discovered is that many locals from Puerto Rico use this resort as there getaway on the island, so many of the guest are from Puerto Rico.
We also found the restaurants to be way overpriced. Particularly the Cafe Caribe restaurant, the food was horrid and we paid $50 for burgers and fries. The burgers tasted like. . .not really sure I'm still figuring that one put and my stomach didn't appreciate that meal at all.
Although, we had the one bad experience the other restaurants: Ballyhoo Bar & Grill was good and the service was outstanding with options for local favorites like rice and beans, tostones,mojitos, etc. Las Brisas was my favorite of all the restaurants, who can possibly screw up breakfast. . .the waiters/hotess were super attentive. They wanted to make certain we had everything we wanted and the breakfast buffet makes my mouth water just thinking get about it even now. If you have the pleasure of eating here, try the rum syrup it was delicious! The Stingray Cafe is a very elegant, romantic restaurant with an array of delightful selections. However dinner was way overpriced for lamb chops and steak, it rang to a tune of $200 which included a tip. I had a glass of wine and my soon to be husband had water. Appetizers were great, fish soup and a not so great poached pear salad, I've had better salads at Panera Bread. Dessert at the Stingray Café left me wanting more.
They also have a private island beach, that you take a ferry to, it takes about 20 minutes each way and they run frequently to accomadate the quests. The ferry operators provided good service, and the water at the Palomino Island was the sole reason I love visiting Puerto Rico. The Caribbean Side of the Island is majestic, blue/green sea and white coral sand!
The island is well maintained, the service is ok, the drinks are way overpriced. You can't bring anything from the hotel to drink or a cooler because it's not allowed. I get it, but make it more appealing to spend more $. Four drinks for two adults cost $55 including tip. Overall our two visits to the resorts private island beach were memorable.
They have a super fun water park for the kids, and loads of other outdoor water things to do. You will spend lots, I repeat lots of $. There isn't much indoor activity going on in the evening for the adults to enjoy. This was really
disappointing because the hotel has a great entertainment area. I don't think they make a real effort to attract this type of venue.
Lastly, the spa is off in a separate area and from what I could tell isn't extremely busy. However, the services they provide are a bit of a splurge, if you want to indulge in some well deserved pampering.
On a scale of 1-5, (5 being the best) our overall experience would be a 2.5. The reason is for the service we received from Ruben at the front desk, he took care of us, the private island beach was memorable and not as busy like in Isle Verde, and the breakfast at Las Brisas was mouth watering. Other than that our next visit to the jewel of the Caribbean will not be spent at El Conquistador, simply said you don't get the bang for the buck!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award-winning oceanfront resort perched atop a cliff, overlooking Caribbean Sea on one side & Atlantic Ocean on the other. Check out the dramatic views, the private island, relaxing spa golf course or the water park - it's all part of this Caribbean paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Conquistador Resort, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Fajardo
- Waldorf Astoria Fajardo
- El Conquistador Hotel Puerto Rico
- Conquistador Hotel Puerto Rico
- El Conquistador Puerto Rico
- El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort Puerto Rico/Fajardo