El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
US$165
US$150
  • Pool
Suenos del Mar(Fajardo)(Great Value!)
US$150
US$145
Travelocity
US$256
Orbitz.com
Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn(Luquillo)(Great Value!)
US$142
Ocean Pearl(Luquillo)
US$123
US$287
US$242
  • Pool
Hacienda Tamarindo(Isla de Vieques)
US$182
Malecon House(Isla de Vieques)
US$194
US$178
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Travelocity
7,754 results
All reviewsprivate islandpalomino islandwater parkla marinapuerto ricomarina areachopssplash barferry ridehorseback ridingcable carrented a carwater shoeswalk in closetcafe caribeocean viewlas casitas
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I want to start off by saying what a beautiful location...amazing views and very nice pools. We booked our trip on a recommendation from a friend who went a few years back. We traveled in a group of 11 (three families) so that in itself can be a challenge. All that being said to start the rooms were ok at best...bathrooms old and carpets were wet on arrival from being shampooed. Desperately needs tlc in all aspects of the hotel. We went primarily for the beach. We all have pools so that was not our main attraction. Palomino island is amazing and beautiful after the 15min ferry ride it was nice to get off to such a lovely spot only to be treated horribly. The island manager Leo I believe only cares about putting in his time and nothing about customer service. I witnessed another employee Henry from the island yell at a women who wanted chairs brought to the "public" side of the beach....which btw is the best side unfortunately. The hotel side had chairs littered with berries and bird poop and the ferry docked every 1/2 hr feet from the calmest spot of the water. We happened apron dr. Kelly....amazing women who runs the horse stables. After my offer to move our own chairs to the public side was denied she made it happen. She had them brought to us by island staff who dumped dirty chairs at the gate(for shame)!!! The next few days she would keep them saved for us every day and we enjoyed a beautiful beach yet shared with locals. She truly has her heart in her work and should be commended not only for her work with the stables but her understanding of what a family vaca should be. William another lovely and very helpful man on the island was terrific as well. Dr. Kelly knows that if the hotel doesn't step up her stables will suffer and all the work she is doing is to make it a lovely home for them...which it was!!! The staff would allow locals to order from the bar..use the bathrooms and get towels every day!!!! Which would be fine if they treated the property with respect but they don't. The bathrooms got dirty...garbage thrown in the water...in fact a man got beat up the day we stayed at the pool by locals just because his son cut his foot on garbage and he said something. The pool was lovely...we rented cabanas which was great service. Omar was awesome!!! Truly a gem at that hotel!!! He even tried to make it even more special after our beach incidents. Ivan was another very helpful manager at the pool. Gracious in every way. My take on the vaca is that it should not be called a Waldorf hotel by any stretch. The most attractive part of the hotel (the beach) is ruined by lack of security and very poor management. We were going to search for another hotel on day one till we encountered dr.kelly. She made our beach days great...love her!!! Unfortunately it's not her job and chances of you hooking up with her like we did May be slim but if you decide to go...do it knowing that. We talked to many other guests who all had same reaction...it's a resort that caters to locals who are NOT paying what we do and it's all managed very poorly!!!! We went and we saw but we will never return...very sad for them!!!!

Room Tip: Stay in marina...they are the new sets and closest to ferry.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Kim M
Matt L, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

I want to personally thank you and your family friends for choosing El Conquistador Resort as your vacation destination. I certainly appreciate the detailed feedback about your experiences while staying. I do want to apologize for the below standard service that was received during you stay. Your comments have been reviewed by upper management and will be shared with the staff to ensure improvements are made. I do want to invite you back to the resort although you have stated that you do not intend to return. Please feel free to contact me with any ore thoughts that you would like to share or for any other information you may need. thank you!

Matt Leavitt
mleavitt@luxuryresorts.com

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I recently booked my 3rd stay at El Conquistador. The grounds are quiet, lovely and well kept, Palomino Island is absolutely stunning, and the water park has been a lot of fun for myself as well as other travel companions. The resort staff are very polite, and the rooms are clean and modern. The food, however, is another story - absolutely awful and overpriced. I recommend leaving the resort grounds and visiting the small town of Las Croabas (directly below the hotel), for authentic and reasonably priced meals. Las Croabas is also the place to go for kayaking in the Bioluminescent Bay. Long story short: this place is lovely and I will never hesitate to go back, knowing that I can completely skip their restaurants for a more local and tasty experience.

Room Tip: The Full Ocean View rooms are stunning, and worth the extra charge.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aegina1
Matt L, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write some thoughts about your most recent stay. We do appreciate the feedback and appreciate you returning to the resort a third time! Your comments about the dining experiences at the resort have been shared with the culinary team with the hopes of when you return again in the future that your expectations will be met. We hope to see you again soon at El Conquistador!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Amazing and dissapointing that after just 15 years this resort has lost all it's former glory. Instead it has turned into a tacky, depressing, dull, old, and lacking in every aspect of service hotel. This hotel has such incredible potential due to it's prime location. Unfortunately poor management and service has dragged it down to an all time low. It has come time to close it and to remodel!
If and when new ACTION is taken to improve this resort...please pay attention to training the staff. SERVICE should be provided with PRIDE! Folks in the hotel industry need to learn that providing impeccable service it's at the very heart of the hotel industry. With excellent service, things like deteriorating decor aspects can be looked over. But when the fountains dont work, the pillows are stained and lacking in taste, when entertainment is non existant, when the food served at restaurants is less than mediocre, and then bad service'is added to the mix? Then disaster looms in the near future.
To the Waldorf Group...that name carries legacy...please DO SOMETHING...SAVE this hotel!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Jeffrey W

thank you for your candid feedback about your recent stay at El Conquistador Resort. Although I do not agree with your opinion that the resort should be closed, we do value your thoughts and opinions. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and know that we would love to have you stay again in the future if the opportunity arises. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions or comments to share at mleavitt@luxuryresorts.com

Thank you!

Matt Leavitt

Reviewed 6 July 2014

From the exterior and service of employees on site I would give it a 5 star but unfortunately the rooms, bathroom, pool, chairs, and towels are extremely outdated. They also have a very weird business system as far as charging to the room. I will be double checking to make sure we were not over charged as mentioned as some of the other posts. I think the only great thing about this location is the ferry ride to another island which then you can rent out a kayak to take to another island for about an hour. It's a beautiful location but they really need to update their rooms, building #4 particularly smells like a barn in the hallways. I was also very upset that check in did not occur til after 5pm when it clearly states it should be ready by 4. I also did not like that I purchased an ocean front room and they stuck me in a partial ocean front room, I asked for a difference and not much was done about this issue. This resort is more for families vs. couples.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Elle M
Fel93, Guest Relations Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We are sorry to see that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay at the resort. Your candid comments have been shared with our management team and are important to us as they help us identify areas of opportunity.

We are happy to see that you enjoyed Palomino Island and the warm hospitality from our employees.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Our family of five visited the resort on 4th of July weekend 2014. The resort is really big with lots of pools. The restaurants were wonderful, expensive but great. The water park was awesome. The three main critics: I found it really disrespectful for children, adolescents and even babies that were enjoying the pool, had to experience that grown ups were drinking in the pool, and actually going on the water slides with cans of beers on their hands, spilling the beer all over the pool, once they landed. If kids cannot have soft drinks in the pool, then adults should not either, especially alcohol. My husband and I had our beers outside the pool. The second critic, the staff should consider adding more umbrellas to provide shade. They only had a couple and the rest of the families had to expose themselves to the hot sun. I most definitely know that on a water park, you are going to get sun exposed but please have more umbrellas available for those families that don't want to get burn even with sun protection. The last critic, the only means to get to the beach, water parks and other hotel rooms were through the funicular. There were times people had to wait a long line to get to these destinations. They should consider other alternatives for families to choose from when the hotel is full. Other than that, it was a great experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lola L
Fel93, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Your comments have been shared with our management team. We are happy to see you enjoyed your overall experience during your time at the resort.