“Best Service and great food at Splash bar!”

El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
“Best Service and great food at Splash bar!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I had a wonderful time at the Conquistador Splash Bar! Ivan, Kathy and Angel provided a great service, they were very attentive and the food was delicious. I highly recommend this place if you're looking for a place to eat!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank SaraCamille1
Fel93, Guest Relations Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
I appreciate your review. I am glad to see you had a great time at the resort and that you enjoyed your time at Splash Bar as well as the food and service.

Thank you for highlighting our team members who helped make your stay memorable.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,629)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I just visited the Splash Bar at the main pool of the hotel and the service was excellent! The bartenders Iván, Kathy and Angel were great. They were very attentive and humorous. They made me have a great time.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Taemestra
Thanks for sharing your review with us. I am glad to see you had a great time at the resort and that the memories you made at Splash bar were fun. Thank you for acknowledging the warm hospitality you received from our team members during your stay.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Resirtus as good as its website ddepicts! Only "downside" for some is it us not located in heart of Old San Juan or other walkable street sites. BUT, perched atop a cliff, with wide ocean views, its own casino, sports venues, mountain tram cars, marina and water taxis to pleasure island venues it is spectacular! Marina level rooms, and rooms nestled into cliff face halfway down! Really romantic setting! Limited shopping on site. Taxis to street shopping district and other nearby sites. Overall, a very good choice! Food was fabulous!

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for sharing your review with us. I am thrilled to see you had a great time at the resort and have decided we are a "keeper" for future vacations. We look forward to your next visit with us.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 16 July 2014

stayed her for an overnight stay before going home from a weekend wedding. Grounds are breathtakingly beautiful and very well kept. As in all upscale resorts, the shops, food and drink are on the pricer side, but not as bad as I expected. My only complaint was the line to check n and maybe only 4 people on the counter to help. I spend close to 40 minutes waiting but also attribute to many of us coming in at the same time to check in and the time being around noon which could have been lunch time for staff. After checking in I headed to Palomino island, which is a private island and you must take a ferry to get there. it was great, on one side of the island the beach water is very shallow and you can walk and walk and the water never passes your ankles, (great for families with young children, on the other side a beach with wave and great to swim in. There is food on the island for sale as well drinks, and also plenty of water sports: snorkling, kayakng. etc.... only thing it closes early, last ferry back t hotel is 5:30pm :( would have liked to stay longer. The pool however is open 24 hours. Def would come back and stay longer and tke advantage of all the hotel has to offer.

Room Tip: i had a garden room which was the cheapest rate, however my view was pretty spectacular.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for sharing your review. Although you had a brief stay with us I am happy to see you took advantage of the on-site amenities including Palomino Island. I am delighted to see you had a great experience and are looking at returning to the resort.

We look forward to your next stay with us.
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We almost didn't book our trip in June based on the reviews on trip advisor. I'm so glad that we went ahead because this is a truly beautiful and special property to stay at! In my review I'll offer tips that helped us and address many of the concerns addressed in previous reviews. (We are Hilton Diamond members and we used points to make our stay affordable, so keep this in mind when reading our review) If you don't want to read my lengthy review then just know that we have never stayed at a Waldorf before, so we have nothing to compare it to, however we felt the positives WELL outnumbered the negatives. Use common sense when reading reviews, every traveler knows what they find truly important and read between the lines. :-) We are a family of four, with a 12 and 16 year old boys.

1. Room - I do believe location is KEY. We followed the advice of others and used more points to make sure we were in the Las Brisas Wing, top floor facing the ocean. This wing is modern, new and the top floor was unbelievably quiet. We had the 2nd room after the double doors and thought for sure we would be waking up all night due to noise, but it was so quiet! We could even hear the Coqui frogs and night critters just like at home. There was no noise from the funicular and the views were incredible. Housekeeping was responsive and kept up with towels etc. Room was spacious for 4, included a fridge, walk in closet and we were 100% satisfied. The beds were the most comfortable I've ever slept in at a hotel. It looked as if rooms in other parts of the resort were older and not placed as well, so that could impact the quality of your stay.

*TIP - Top floor rooms facing the marina were wonderful and fun to watch the funicular.
The Garden rooms will offer more affordability and if you are willing to forgo the ocean view the garden is lovely at Las Brissas!

2. Cleanliness/Upkeep of the Hotel. This property is SPECTACULAR and anyone who is concentrating on minor flaws is missing all the natural beauty offered at this location. The entire stay we saw staff attending to the maintenance of this property, cleaning, painting, trimming, sweeping, you name it there was always upkeep going on . You can't expect a property this big, on the ocean, with so much exposed area to be 100% all the time and if you are looking for minor flaws you can find them, however the beauty and quality of this property outweighs any minor imperfections.

*TIP- go up to the top floor by CHOPS Steakhouse and walk the outside walkways during the day and night to see SPECTACULAR 360 degree views of the property including all of Fajardo and the lighthouse on the backside. We walked it every night and was a highlight of the trip!

3. Food- (Cost & Quality) It is this area I will agree with some of the past reviewers but say that it is EASILY worked around. I realize that because we are diamond members we can afford the hefty price of breakfast (With our two "complimentary breakfast" coupons daily we still paid around $60 for our two kids to eat) but having said that breakfast at Las Brisas was a GREAT way to start every day. The food offerings are delicious, made fresh and offer local and popular items. The banana porridge, made to order omelets, muesli, salmon etc. allowed us to fill up and never need lunch. (And we ate at 8am every morning). The waitstaff is wonderful and standouts are Cesear who was a top notch gentleman and Stacey who greeted us with a smile every morning and remembered our names and personal needs. BRAVO! They were very sensitive to food allergies and requirements!

*TIP - Ask for Puerto Rican coffee, they will bring you out a freshly made cup and it's wonderful! Ask for a to go cup at the end of your meal and you will have Java on the go. If you use the buffet to really eat quality food in the morning, you can easily go until dinner with just a snack or two in between. We brought cliff bars and snacks with us and never felt as if we went without.

We also ate at:

Ballyhoo - OK food, nothing special but a solid meal. Good Service.

Cafe' Bella- Ordered Pizza to the room one night and ate on balcony - Pretty Good.

Ordered drinks and appetizers while watching World Cup game, drinks were amazing, food ok, service was good.

Went to dinner there once, food was decent, service poor - 1 person in our party was ill 1 hour after eating.

TIP- Eating Dinner at the resort is pricey and the mid-price options offer just average food. (We never ate at the higher level restaurants). I would advise going out in town and eating at the local restaurants. They are wonderful and prices are affordable. You can walk into FAJARDO via the Marina and eat at Kasavista, or drive a little off property and enjoy a meal at di yukas (Our best meal, don't miss out on their Mofongo) Don't worry if you have food allergies, every place has someone who speaks fluent english and we found them to be very sensitive and careful with our issues.

TIP- Try to pack your suitcases full of snacks like cliff bars, small pre-packaged snacks etc. We also traveled with "nips" and small bota boxes of wine. It was well worth it since drinks are so expensive on site and most times we just needed a little pick me up snack, not a full meal during the day. You can take snacks to the island, so pack a small insulated bag with waters and snacks if you are concerned about keeping your costs down. We still enjoyed frozen lemonades on the island and ice cream, but felt as if we were more in control of where we spent our money. There is also a Walmart and Walgreens on the way to El Con, so stopping there for supplies is also a great idea if you have a car rental and you don't want to pack your suitcases with supplies. Bottled water is a must. There are no concession machines on site and drinks are expensive.

Palomino Island- This is truly the gem of the whole property. We have never been somewhere so filled with beauty and things to do for the kids. It was busy but never packed (Feb-April might be a different story). We took the horseback ride, which we all enjoyed. It was pricey but it supports a very important cause on the island and the views are spectacular at the top.

*TIP - bring your own snorkel & mask. There is a rental fee per day and it is really worth snorkeling to see the nurse sharks, coral reef and tropical fish. BRING WATER SHOES! Coral surrounds the island and unless you want to park yourself on the first strip of beach (the most busy) when you get there, you will need them to venture out. Your feet will thank you and you will avoid stepping on a sea urchins and wrecking your vacation. You can buy snorkel equipment and water shoes on site but you will pay much more than just throwing them in your suitcase at home or stopping at Walmart/Walgreens on the way in.

Other Tips:

If you have kids do the Scout About program! It is a scavenger hunt all over the property for 13 colored rubber band bracelets that can be redeemed for a El Con Scout About bracelet. It's a great program, lots of fun and it gets you to see all the different areas of the resort. I did it with my 12 year old and I had as much fun as he did. We loved the view from the golf course of the rainforest and we would have never ventured out there if it hadn't been for this program. Well Done El Con! We also noticed that it was a great way for kids to meet, they compared colors and locations of the boxes. Get a Scout About map at the concierge desk on day 1!

Take a nice walk around the WHOLE property. Las Casitas is beautiful to walk through, as is the Golf course area, Spa area and beyond. Each part of the hotel contains gorgeous gardens and at night it is a magical place. My husband and I took a glass of wine and walked the grounds for an hour+ each night and between the views, the soothing Coquis and the trade winds we never wanted to go home.

If you have made it to the end.... BRAVO to you. I hope the tips are helpful and you enjoy your vacation at El Con! We are already dreaming of going back.

Room Tip: Top Floor of Las Brisas wing is modern, clean, quiet, comfortable beds and terrific views.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
13 Thank Urban68
First and foremost, thank you for being a valued Hilton Honors Diamond member. I appreciate the time you took to share such a detailed review with us and other travelers. I am glad that you and your family took advantage of the many amenities throughout the resort including strolls throughout the gardens, fun in the sun at Palomino Island and your journey of discovery with Scout About! I am happy that your family enjoyed your accommodations and the comfort of your bed.

Thank you for highlighting the helpfulness and friendliness of our team members as well as the ongoing maintenance you saw throughout the resort grounds.

I am delighted to see that your family is "dreaming" about your return to paradise...we hope to welcome you back in the near future for your second El Conquistador vacation.
Willingboro, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This was a family vacation with myself and 18 year old son, and 14 year old daughter. The rooms were very dated. Stains on bed headboards, decorative pillows, chairs. I switched rooms 3 times. The staff was very accomodating and eager to satisfy which was a positive and allowed us to make the most of oour trip. The food on the property is very expensive. I came prepared however to pay $5 for a liter of water, and $9 for a liter of Simply Lemonade is outrageous comapred to prices in the states. To take a cab to the nearest Walmart would have been $40 round trip. We ate at Blossoms and the Chop House on different nights during our stay. The service was impecable, but price very expensive. $172 bill for 3 people at Blossoms. Palamino Island was beautiful. Water crystal clear blue, sand very soft on various sides of island. The pool staff was very accomodating particular Victor. As I said we made the most of our trip but I would not come back to this hotel again or recommend it as a 5 star property.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Shawn L
Fel93, Guest Relations Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Shawn,

Thank you for taking the time to share a detailed review with us. Your feedback has been reviewed with our senior management and is appreciated as it allows us to identify areas of opportunity. We apologize for not exceeding your expectations during your stay.

I am pleased to see that you and your family had a great experience at Palomino Island and that you enjoyed your dinners at Chops Steakhouse and Blossoms.

Thank you for acknowledging the helpfulness and friendliness of our team members.
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is a fantastic family resort, visited for the 2nd time in 4 years....stayed in July which is off peak season. Very clean and plenty of things to do for everyone! We have been all over the Caribbean and the views in this resort stack up as well with any other resort. The staff is very attentive, especially the concierge, front desk and pool staff. We were a group of 8 so we appreciated that wherever we went (Palomino Island to restaurants) everything was set up for us when we arrived. If the resort isn't busy would check in on an extended late checkout. We were given an additional 2 hours at no charge.

The hotel does need some updating in the rooms (Rug, Paint, etc.), especially since it is a Waldorf owned property but the rooms are very clean, spacious and have extremely comfortable beds. I can't say enough about how wonderful the staff is! They are always greeting you with a smile. We ate at all the fine dining restaurants on the property (Chops (Steak), Blossoms (Asian fusion) & La Picola Fontana (Italian) which is a bit pricey but worth it if you do not want to leave the resort. For breakfast we dined at Los Brisas for Continental or Buffet (worth it) or you can do Starbucks for a lite breakfast. Would recommend dining poolside as well for a snack or lite lunch.

The taxi or shuttle service from the airport (approx 50 minute ride) can be very expensive. Through research ee discovered Shawn from Luqillo Taxis. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND giving this guy a call. He was the one and only taxi driver in Luquillo and a great number to have to hand if you want to go anywhere local. Arrived on time for airport pickup and return from resort, also very friendly. Not native to PR but he has a great knowledge of the local area. He is prompt, reliable and charges reasonable rates for a ride, especially large groups. Highly recommend and much needed to get about the local area if you don't have a rental car or fancy a night off driving.

Room Tip: Call Luquillo Taxis and ask for Shawn. Tell him Mike from NY highly recommends.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Mike T
Mike,

Thank you for sharing your detailed review with us. I am happy to see that you and your family had a wonderful vacation with us - thank you for choosing us for the second time. We hope to welcome you back for your third visit to the resort in the near future.

Thank you for also highlighting the warm hospitality you experienced from our team members throughout your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan