“Beware the mosquitoes!!”

Yokahu Kayak Trips, Inc.
More attraction details
Owner description: Yokahu Kayak Trips Inc. is an eco-friendly company endorsed by the Tourism Company of Puerto Rico and has been favored by travelers from all over. Their professionalism, experience and knowledge in environment themes, water sports and tourism made them remain in the industry for more than 10 years. Some of the Yokahu exciting and educative tours are: Bio Bay “Laguna Grande”, Sun Set Kayak Tour, Rainforest “El Yunque” and Beach & Snorkeling Kayak Day Tour.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I recommend reserving a slot as soon as possible if you plan on visiting here, because the tours fill up very fast and may not have slots available for your preferred day or time. Also try to get here at least 30 minute before your tour is set to depart to give yourself adequate time to find parking and search for your tour group, since there are MANY different tour companies setting up camp all in the same location. We were lucky to find a parking place at the last minute, but had to rush to get signed in and join our group. The tour guides themselves were friendly guys with a good sense of humor which made the tour more palatable. The mosquitoes were absolutely horrendous and tore us all up. I highly recommend using tons of mosquito repellent all over your body if you don't want your skin to end up looking like you have measles or chicken pox from the tons of mosquito bites your guaranteed to get on this trip. I wish I had known it would be like that so I could've come better prepared. I also think it would have been nice to have brought along a water proof flashlight to see our way through the dark channel that connects to the biobay since it's very dark when passing through there and many people kept running into the trees and embankment due to poor visibility. Expect lots of kayak traffic in the channel since many other companies are simultanesouly touring. The Biobay itself is interesting and it was cool to see the water naturally glow as we paddled through or even as we dipped our hands into the water to watch it drip down our fingers like well-lit jewels in the dark. We were disappointed, however, that it wasn't as bright or big as we thought it would be from the reviews we saw. We only spent about 10 minutes in the actual biobay itself and spend the majority of the trip time kayaking to/from the bay via the dark channel. I think it would be better value for customers if tour outfitters allowed people more time to kayak in the bay itself to enjoy the natural site before rushing everyone back to shore. Be sure to wear clothes you don't mind getting wet in, because you will get wet and sweaty. Also pretty much expect to either run into the embankment or hit the trees when kayaking through the dark tunnel, as it appears to be an inevitable part of the experience and is touted jestfully as a right of passage by the guides. One couple actually flipped out of their kayak in the dark tunnel, but the water is pretty shallow there so it wasn't too bad for them. There were very large bats flying overhead also as we kayaked through the channel. Since we took the earlier tour we were able to see them on our way out to the biobay before the sunset. Just one final warning: beware the mosquitoes! It took me over a week to recover from the tons of mosquito bites all over my body as they tore me up during this kayak trip. I appreciated the small bottle water & snack they gave us at the end of the tour. The kayaks themselves were nice sized and comfortable for 2 people.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"glowing water"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 19 May 2014

My friend and I had planned to see Mosquito Bay in Vieques, but unfortunately we were not aware that the bay would be closed on weekdays due to environmental reasons. So the night before we left for Vieques, we decided that we had to see a bio-bay and that Laguna Grande in Fajardo would be it. At 5:50 PM, I started calling every tour company in the area and all of them were completely booked for that night, with the exception of Yokahu, who agreed to let us in on their early 6:30 PM trip.

Naturally, I was ready to be disappointed because I thought there must be a reason why Yokahu wasn't booked - maybe it was an inferior company or something of that nature. Unfortunately, I was wrong, and I do not like to be wrong. Our guides were very humorous and organized, and the duration of the trip was just perfect.

We began by kayaking across the lake into a forest of mangrove trees, which in itself is a truly exceptional natural environment. This forest is narrow and has several twists and turns, which are very fun to navigate through. The guides explain about the mangroves and point out the wildlife along the way, all of which is quite fascinating. When we got to the lagoon, we were disappointed to see that the water wasn't glowing at all, so we just milled about for a while until it got darker. Still nothing. However, when the guides got us together for a group picture, they explained about the dinoflagellates and how the glowing works: you just need to create motion in the water! As soon as I heard this, I began moving my hand in the water and sure enough, the harder I displaced the water, the brighter the glow. This was quite magical and super fun. On the way back, I made sure to paddle as fast as possible to see as much glowing as possible. The pictures don't do it justice, so here's a description: thousands of tiny blue air bubbles surrounding the object of motion, lighting up and rising to the surface as it moves.

The journey back was an adventure in itself. By then, night had fallen and the only light we got through the mangrove forest was the green blinkers on our kayaks. This was very tricky and we bumped into the mangroves several times. We did not have an issue bumping into kayakers from other companies, as the guides were sure to warn us whenever they were passing through. Got back safely and was quite sore the next morning.

Overall, a solid recommendation!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We did the Bio Bay tour in Fajardo (not in Vieques) because everyone seemed to have such great things to say about it. Unfortunately, our experience was very underwhelming, to put it nicely.

1. To be fair, this criticism is not exclusive to just Yokahu, but the other companies in the area in general, but there are WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE DOING THIS TOUR AT ONCE!! In order to get to the lagoon where the bioluminescence happens, we had to kayak through a narrow canal. There must have been AT LEAST 200 people trying to pass through this canal at once, and over half the tour was playing bumper cars in the canals with all the other kayaks. Not only did this kill the experience, but it is also very dangerous as there are many low hanging branches and trees that could easily have poked an eye out as people were bumping into each other left and right. This seems to be a classic case of the local tour companies getting too greedy by taking on more and more people, even as the local environment obviously cannot support these numbers at once, and potentially destroying a wonderful thing. What a shame.

2. We spent less than 10 minutes total in the lagoon, where our guides gave us a pep talk about the micro organisms for half that time, then hurried us back into the channel to head back to shore. We barely saw any of the lagoon, and on our way back, one of the back guides kept hurrying us, saying to keep up with the group (he obviously didn't care that everyone was just stuck at the entrance not moving)

3. Maybe we picked a bad day, or maybe its a side effect of having way too many people go into the lagoon everyday, but we could barely see any glow. After reading so many rave reviews about this place, all we could think of was "that's it?"

4. This was one of those tours that was generally more hassle than enjoyment. As mentioned above, most of the tour was spent going in and out of the canal, crashing into other kayaks and avoiding getting pushed into trees. There was no time to relax or enjoy the surroundings, even when we got to the main lagoon, as the tour guides just seemed to want to do their jobs and go home.

1  Thank diver0521
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My friends and I booked the bio bay kayak tour and it was breathtaking!! The company did a good job keeping everything organized and everyone safe and the guides were really fun. This was a truly amazing experience....kayaking through mangroves in the dark, seeing the water "glow" with each paddle and finally reaching a glowing bay shimmering under the moonlight and stars. Afterwards we received snacks/drinks and a ride back to the hotel.

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This is not so much a bad experience but a negative review based on customer service. We booked 6 spots for kayaking. Our group had two rentals to use to drive from San Juan to Fajardo. The day of, a motorcycle hit my brother in laws car (the motorcycles fault) and we were one car short. Given the impossibility of fitting 6 people in a compact car, I called up to explain the circumstances. I was told no matter what the emergency, I had to pay $150 cancellation fee. I understand having a cancellation fee but given the circumstances I felt it was too rigid. I mean we were already bummed about the car, not being able to go, and then having to pay? I explained the situation to another tour group, and I was met with "are you guys okay? Make sure you drive careful, we understand." PR has tons of great customer service when it comes to excursions around the island (I'm here every year so I have been all over). While I can't complain about their rudeness or a bad experience, I'm bummed about the lack of concern and more worry about money, losing $150 thru no fault of our own.

2  Thank Eliot V