“Unbelieveably poor customer service”

Yokahu Kayak Trips, Inc.
More attraction details
Owner description: Yokahu Kayak Trips Inc. is an eco-friendly company endorsed by the Tourism Company of Puerto Rico and has been favored by travelers from all over. Their professionalism, experience and knowledge in environment themes, water sports and tourism made them remain in the industry for more than 10 years. Some of the Yokahu exciting and educative tours are: Bio Bay “Laguna Grande”, Sun Set Kayak Tour, Rainforest “El Yunque” and Beach & Snorkeling Kayak Day Tour.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The Bio Bay in Fajardo is great, however, better do it with a different company. For Yokahu Kajaks customer service seems to be a foreign word.

We booked with a larger group of friends, but unfortunately my wife got sick, hence, we couldn't join the group on that day. I called Yokahu Kajaks and a very unfriendly lady answered the phone. It really seemed like that she did not want to deal with any clients, notably people who want to change their bookings.

Initially I wanted just to shift my booking to a later day. "Of course" they said and they very immediately happy to take my credit card details. They also said that "of course this means we don't have to pay the first time".
Fortunately, I recognized their scam early enough: Because what they actually meant was "the group will have to pay for you no matter what" (knowing of course that I was part of this group) and "yes, we are more than happy to charge your credit card twice".
When I asked them whether it's possible to cancel the booking they again said "Sure, no worries". What they didn't add was "for 100% cancellation fee".

The entire conversation felt like a joke to me and in total I wasted about 1h on the phone. They spoke VERY well English but behaved as they wanted to make fun of me and my sick wife. During all my visits to Puerto Rico I have never experienced any customer service as poor as this one. I eventually decided to book the Bio Bay tour with a different operator even if that meant losing my money with Yokahu Kajaks. If their service is as bad a their customer service than this would be just a terrible company for enjoying the Bio Bay.

PS: Our friends told us later by the way, that our two empty spots were sold to a different family.

3  Thank Stefan M
Luis M, Manager at Yokahu Kayak Trips, Inc., responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Trip advisor friends,

We definitely title this review "the unbelievable one". This gentleman booked a tour for 26 passengers. When we have these type of large groups; we require an agreement to be signed where it specifies Yokahú Kayak Trips cancellation policy. It was not a surprise for them our cancellation terms. Same day of the tour, last minute advice, the person writing the review decide to cancel 10 people because they were sick. It is unbelievable that after the office personal reminded him about the cancellation fee 5 of the 10 cancelling decide to do the tour. It is unbelievable to leave a feedback of a tour the reviewer never did, how can you say a company does bad services when this person was only in charge for a booking. Why didn't you mention in the review that your friends participating on our excursion had a blast, which was the feedback our tour guides received from them at the end of the tour. How can the office personnel be" joking" about a situation that is causing us a problem. You said "you wasted about an hour on the phone", same "hour" we had a busy phone, losing the opportunity to provide services to other people with a real interest for booking. On your review it seemed that you were trying to reschedule for your wife and yourself, If that was the real scenario ,We are more than happy to help you, the reality of your hour phone call was to cancel 10 people last minute and expect the cancellation fee to be waved. This was not a joke for our office, it was more of a headache. It is important to understand, no matter what type of business, cancellations affect if you either booked, flights, hotels, rental cars, tours, they all have their cancellation policy.

In order to provide a quality services and guaranteed reservations, Yokahu Kayak Trips enforces these policies. We have limited spaces to offer in our tour, that’s why we have a commitment to guaranteed reservations, we expect same commitment from our guest to arrive on time and take our tour. We totally understand that unexpected situations may happen and more with large groups. That’s why we want to leave some future booking tips. First thing, for large groups are to be booked at least 3 weeks before the tour, we also recommend to collect the money from other participants if you are compromising your credit card for them. If you do not want to risk and pay for a possible no show, our office accepts individual reservations. We highly recommend online booking, this helps a lot at the time to choose the day you want to visit us. Cancellations could be made without any charges 48 hours prior the day of the tour. We have a really organized web site with a full description on the tours we offer, contact our office for any concerns or special needs required, our friendly staff will be pleased to assist you!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I like to reserve in advance but we held off to see how we were doing in good ol' Puerto rico. We started calling monday am and the earliest trip was 2 spots open on Wednesday night. We called 3 places before Yokahu answered and had an opening!

The map they email leads you to a spot just before the park. Go into the park, park your car, and then look for their tent. Wear long pants and sleeves if you hate bugs. We had a few but not so many that we were miserable. Bug spray is okay but generally avoid it so it doesn't affect the light show for future visitors.

Don;t leave anything in your car! The kiosk has a locker they can put your wallet in. Also, dont bother with a waterproof camera because night shots, underwater or at the water wont be great. just enjoy.

1  Thank Lori B
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I recommend reserving a slot as soon as possible if you plan on visiting here, because the tours fill up very fast and may not have slots available for your preferred day or time. Also try to get here at least 30 minute before your tour is set to depart to give yourself adequate time to find parking and search for your tour group, since there are MANY different tour companies setting up camp all in the same location. We were lucky to find a parking place at the last minute, but had to rush to get signed in and join our group. The tour guides themselves were friendly guys with a good sense of humor which made the tour more palatable. The mosquitoes were absolutely horrendous and tore us all up. I highly recommend using tons of mosquito repellent all over your body if you don't want your skin to end up looking like you have measles or chicken pox from the tons of mosquito bites your guaranteed to get on this trip. I wish I had known it would be like that so I could've come better prepared. I also think it would have been nice to have brought along a water proof flashlight to see our way through the dark channel that connects to the biobay since it's very dark when passing through there and many people kept running into the trees and embankment due to poor visibility. Expect lots of kayak traffic in the channel since many other companies are simultanesouly touring. The Biobay itself is interesting and it was cool to see the water naturally glow as we paddled through or even as we dipped our hands into the water to watch it drip down our fingers like well-lit jewels in the dark. We were disappointed, however, that it wasn't as bright or big as we thought it would be from the reviews we saw. We only spent about 10 minutes in the actual biobay itself and spend the majority of the trip time kayaking to/from the bay via the dark channel. I think it would be better value for customers if tour outfitters allowed people more time to kayak in the bay itself to enjoy the natural site before rushing everyone back to shore. Be sure to wear clothes you don't mind getting wet in, because you will get wet and sweaty. Also pretty much expect to either run into the embankment or hit the trees when kayaking through the dark tunnel, as it appears to be an inevitable part of the experience and is touted jestfully as a right of passage by the guides. One couple actually flipped out of their kayak in the dark tunnel, but the water is pretty shallow there so it wasn't too bad for them. There were very large bats flying overhead also as we kayaked through the channel. Since we took the earlier tour we were able to see them on our way out to the biobay before the sunset. Just one final warning: beware the mosquitoes! It took me over a week to recover from the tons of mosquito bites all over my body as they tore me up during this kayak trip. I appreciated the small bottle water & snack they gave us at the end of the tour. The kayaks themselves were nice sized and comfortable for 2 people.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

My friend and I had planned to see Mosquito Bay in Vieques, but unfortunately we were not aware that the bay would be closed on weekdays due to environmental reasons. So the night before we left for Vieques, we decided that we had to see a bio-bay and that Laguna Grande in Fajardo would be it. At 5:50 PM, I started calling every tour company in the area and all of them were completely booked for that night, with the exception of Yokahu, who agreed to let us in on their early 6:30 PM trip.

Naturally, I was ready to be disappointed because I thought there must be a reason why Yokahu wasn't booked - maybe it was an inferior company or something of that nature. Unfortunately, I was wrong, and I do not like to be wrong. Our guides were very humorous and organized, and the duration of the trip was just perfect.

We began by kayaking across the lake into a forest of mangrove trees, which in itself is a truly exceptional natural environment. This forest is narrow and has several twists and turns, which are very fun to navigate through. The guides explain about the mangroves and point out the wildlife along the way, all of which is quite fascinating. When we got to the lagoon, we were disappointed to see that the water wasn't glowing at all, so we just milled about for a while until it got darker. Still nothing. However, when the guides got us together for a group picture, they explained about the dinoflagellates and how the glowing works: you just need to create motion in the water! As soon as I heard this, I began moving my hand in the water and sure enough, the harder I displaced the water, the brighter the glow. This was quite magical and super fun. On the way back, I made sure to paddle as fast as possible to see as much glowing as possible. The pictures don't do it justice, so here's a description: thousands of tiny blue air bubbles surrounding the object of motion, lighting up and rising to the surface as it moves.

The journey back was an adventure in itself. By then, night had fallen and the only light we got through the mangrove forest was the green blinkers on our kayaks. This was very tricky and we bumped into the mangroves several times. We did not have an issue bumping into kayakers from other companies, as the guides were sure to warn us whenever they were passing through. Got back safely and was quite sore the next morning.

Overall, a solid recommendation!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We did the Bio Bay tour in Fajardo (not in Vieques) because everyone seemed to have such great things to say about it. Unfortunately, our experience was very underwhelming, to put it nicely.

1. To be fair, this criticism is not exclusive to just Yokahu, but the other companies in the area in general, but there are WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE DOING THIS TOUR AT ONCE!! In order to get to the lagoon where the bioluminescence happens, we had to kayak through a narrow canal. There must have been AT LEAST 200 people trying to pass through this canal at once, and over half the tour was playing bumper cars in the canals with all the other kayaks. Not only did this kill the experience, but it is also very dangerous as there are many low hanging branches and trees that could easily have poked an eye out as people were bumping into each other left and right. This seems to be a classic case of the local tour companies getting too greedy by taking on more and more people, even as the local environment obviously cannot support these numbers at once, and potentially destroying a wonderful thing. What a shame.

2. We spent less than 10 minutes total in the lagoon, where our guides gave us a pep talk about the micro organisms for half that time, then hurried us back into the channel to head back to shore. We barely saw any of the lagoon, and on our way back, one of the back guides kept hurrying us, saying to keep up with the group (he obviously didn't care that everyone was just stuck at the entrance not moving)

3. Maybe we picked a bad day, or maybe its a side effect of having way too many people go into the lagoon everyday, but we could barely see any glow. After reading so many rave reviews about this place, all we could think of was "that's it?"

4. This was one of those tours that was generally more hassle than enjoyment. As mentioned above, most of the tour was spent going in and out of the canal, crashing into other kayaks and avoiding getting pushed into trees. There was no time to relax or enjoy the surroundings, even when we got to the main lagoon, as the tour guides just seemed to want to do their jobs and go home.

1  Thank diver0521