“A Beautiful Tropical Village on a Cliff by the Sea”

Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
New York City
“A Beautiful Tropical Village on a Cliff by the Sea”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I first stayed at this resort almost 20 years ago. At that time, it was owned by another company. On each subsequent visit, I started to notice that the property and service were declining and, finally, we decided to visit other resorts and other islands instead. It had been 8 years since we were last guests at Las Casitas Village and I convinced my husband that we should give it another try since it is now a Waldorf Astoria property. Before this stay, I even spoke to Mr. Bonnamain, Director of Operations to inquire about some of the problems that we had encountered on our last visit. Mr Bonnamain actually called me at home to reassure me of his confidence that the hotel had improved since it became a Waldorf Astoria.
Upon arrival we saw that the resort was as beautiful as ever. The rooms and the views were never the problem at this resort! We stayed in a lovely 1 bedroom ocean view casita and were very happy with our room. There was a nice bottle of wine, cheese and fruit in our room to welcome us back to Las Casitas. Also, our butler brought us a complimentary case of water which was replenished throughout our stay. There are 2 poolside restaurants at Las Casitas, but because it was low season, one was not open at all during our stay and the other only had limited hours. This isn't a problem though because the casitas have full kitchens and we always stock up with food and drinks from the local grocery store. Also, it is just a short walk to the El Conquistador. There, you can find little cafes, restaurants, shops and even a Starbucks now.
There are several nice restaurants at The El Conquistador, but there are many really great options right in the town of Fajardo at the bottom of the hillside. It is even possible to walk into Fajardo just by walking through the gate of the marina of the El Conquistador. In Fajardo, I highly recommend La Estacion and also Kasavista for tasty, fresh seafood. There are lots of great things to do in the area. I highly recommend an evening tour of the bioluminescent bay. We used BioIsland (which uses electric boats not kayaks) and were very pleased with our trip with Captain Jeff. It's very educational and interesting to learn about this bay and what causes the blue glow. My kids loved it. I recommend renting a car to explore El Yunque Rainforest. There are numerous hiking trails to explore and it is quite easy to get to El Yunque from Las Casitas.
Palomino Island is the resort's tropical beach. But to get there, you must walk to The El Conquistador and take a funicular down to the marina and then wait for the boat which, in low season, seems to run every hour. This is a bit annoying because if you arrive just as a boat is leaving you will have to sit and wait for the next boat and, with children, this can be quite an inconvenience. The main problem was that there did not seem to be an exact schedule as to when the boats would be leaving. However, once you arrive at Palomino Island it is a beautiful, tropical island with lots of chairs, water sports, a restaurant and a souvenir shop. My husband and my daughter enjoyed riding jet skis on our visit. It brought back fond memories of me teaching my husband to ride a jet ski on Palomino Island on one of our first visits there back in the 1990's. Kayaking and snorkeling are also very popular there. My Mom, daughter and myself hiked to the top of Palomino Island and we encountered lots of wildlife including iguanas, hermit crabs, frogs and birds. There are absolutely stunning views of the surrounding areas from the summit of Palomino Island. We ate lunch at the outdoor, beach side restaurant which has typical beach food and drinks ( a little on the expensive side for what it is, but there are no other options on the island and you are not permitted to bring your own food/drinks to the island).
I have seen some reviews saying that Las Casitas/El Conquistador is run down and I will say that it is an aging property. But it is an esthetically pleasing, tropical village by the sea. It is still the best choice of a resort if you are visiting Puerto Rico and want a tropical experience away from the San Juan area. The villas are being updated and they are very lovely and comfortable inside. I have stayed at many resorts on Puerto Rico and there are some other nice ones, but in terms of location, views and tropical experience, Las Casitas Village wins.

Room Tip: Ask to be at the top of Las Casitas Village near the entrance to the grounds of The El Conquistador
3 Thank MichelleLovesTrvling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Finnish first
Boston, United States
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The property is beautiful and well mantained. The general staff was capable and friendly. The front desk / business office was very inept. I was charged twice for my stay and the initial hold on my account exceeded the rate and fees for the resort by 150.00 per night. I was told this was to cover charges made on the property. I only planned to dine at off-site restaurants as the on-site restaurants received poor reviews on travel websites. Then when we checked out and settled the bill a new transaction for the final bill was made instead of finalizing the bill with the authorization which was made at check-in. The staff insisted there was no pending holds while the bank insisted I was charged at check out for the amount of the bill and prior holds would remain on my account for 30 days unless the merchant called to clear up the matter. Staff refused to consider they had made a mistake and advised me to call back to discuss with business office. The front desk staff took no initiative to assist me in sorting out teh problem. My suggestion is if you want the level of Waldorf professionalism book at the El Conquistador. The property is very nice but do you need to work on vacation to make sure the billing is done correctly? The El Conquistador has nice pools and lobby and offers the ferry to the beautiful island but I would guess the Waldorf staff is superior to the Luxury Property Management company in charge of the Las Casitas. (My apologies to Yolanda at the Front Desk who was the exception but was not in a position to assist with billing matters.)

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

1 Thank Eileen M
Western MA
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I found the staff friendly and efficient. I had no delays with check in our check out. The room was spacious. The beds were comfortable. The grounds were fabulous. The wireless worked well. A few minor flaws: The secondary lock was broken but there were two other locks to get in. The view was OK but I did not have an upgraded room. I did not eat dinner at the hotel but went outside so cannot render an opinion.

They have a very nice island that was uncrowded and clean with many services. The food was only mildly overpriced, but we were a captive audience. The reasons no five stars--it takes a while to get to the beach, walking, an elevator, a funicular and a cataman. It is an all day affair and you cannot just go for a dip in the ocean. The furniture could have been more lux.

None the less, I would go back without a second thought. I liked being in Fajardo near pretty fair restaurants, snorkeling, diving, and not far from El Yunque.

One last thing. We had a resort credit of $75. When we went to check out, the person had to be informed of this as she was going to charge our credit card. She rapidly corrected the bill but it should be automatic. So keep your eyes open on resort credit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
ResortManagementTeam, General Manager at Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Garykas,

Thank you for your feedback and for keeping us in mind for a return stay. We were able to guess which room you occupied and have already tasked our head engineer with getting that lock replaced. The team has also had a nice discussion over the credits which are done manually and thus prone to human error.

Please feel free to reach out to me for that upgraded view ahead of your next visit!

Regards,

Voorhees, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Just got home from a 5 night stay in a one bedroom ocean view casita. Beautiful views. Spacious for family of four. Thanks to Denise @ Berwick Travel, we got a great deal which included a full breakfast buffet each morning. Would have cost over $100/day including tip. We were able to skip lunch most days saving both time and money. I agree that the food is overpriced and not worth it. But the burgers at Palomino Island were delicious. We picked up some great sandwiches a couple of times at Starbucks when we were too tired to get dressed and go to dinner.

We did a tour to the rain forest, which is a must. Be sure to pack rain ponchos. Everyone was jealous and said they wished they had thought of that. We also did the Bioluminescent Bay with Kayak Rental booked thru Concierge. Crazy to kayak in the pitch black of night but definitely worth it if you're the adventurous type. Would not recommend for under 12 or Seniors. Too crazy even though guides were really great and patient.

Stay on North side of Las Casitas. Closer to main hotel. Yes, LOTS of walking but a gorgeous property to walk through. Geckos everywhere and the coqui frogs made a great sound at night. Water park was fun. Went at 4pm and only paid $5.00/person. Wouldn't make a day of it, but fun for an hour or two.

Can't wait to go back. It's our new found paradise!

Room Tip: North side ocean view is quiet yet close to main hotel and pools.
9 Thank Kathy C
ResortManagementTeam, General Manager at Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear Kathy C,

It is always great to read reviews such as yours, describing the natural beauty of the island and especially the gorgeous views Las Casitas Village enjoys.

There is much to discover still, from a shopping tour in the streets of Old San Juan, the Fort or even some more adventure at Campo Rico ziplining! Our Personal Concierges (LasCasitasconcierge@Luxuryresorts.com) can help with the planning of your trip and give you as many reasons as you need to visit us again!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Spent 5 nights in a two bedroom casita with family of 5. The rooms were very spacious with a big balcony. The size was great for a family. The full kitchen is nice with small kids since eating out for every meal is just not feasible. If you can afford to pay a few extra $$, get the ocean view. The views are great! Overall, if your destiation is set to Puerto Rico, this is the best option for families.

The rooms were very clean upon arrival and were well maintained throughout our stay. The maid staff even folded the laundry that was on the floor and always tidied up the kids mess in their bedroom (nice touch). The staff is very friendly. Service is good, not great. I would have concerns staying at the resort during peak season.

The main resort is nice but appears a bit tired. The place could use a facelift on the exterior. The waterpark has two waterslides, tube slide, lazy river and a zero depth pool. Nothing elaborate but nice for young kids. Palomino Island has lots of various games and activities the kids can do in addition to playing on the beach.

One negative with small kids is the distance from Las Casitas to main pools is 10+ minutes, 20+ minutes to waterpark and can take up to 1 hour to get to Palomino Island (depending on ferry departure), which is the only beach option. You generally to take shuttles or golf cart to get around. The courtesy shuttles and golf carts are generally always available to transport you around the resort.

The biggest negative was the quality of food, especially the kids menus. For a family oriented resort, this place needs to get a bit more creative with food options and find some healthy options. Fried nuggets, french fries, bad pizza, grilled cheese and burgers are the basically the kids options in most of the eating places (excluding the fine dining places). This gets old after a few days.

1 Thank Benjamin1974_2013
Dear Benjamin1974_2013,

Thank you for recognizing our housekeeping professionals, this is a team that works really hard and appreciates feedback such as yours. There is no better reinforcement to improve service than the kind words from a happy customer, it goes to show that attention to details pays off.

We will strive to deliver that experience in the rest of the resort, so that after your next visit we can be worthy of a 5 star review!

Best regards,

Mendham, NJ
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Outstanding views and large airy rooms. We were given a room on the top floor with the most amazing view. Granted the resort is sprawling with lots of stairs, the resorts courtesy shuttle and golf carts were always available to give rides from one end to the other. We rented our car at the airport, as it was much cheaper than paying for our airport transfers. There is a CVS, WalMart and grocery store on Route 3 coming into Fajardo, so you can stock up on some food and snacks. Of course the food at the resort was very expensive and at best, mediocre, but that's kind of to be expected at these kinds of places. The best lunch we had on the resort was down by the infinity pool in Las Casitas village. Las Casitas village was much quieter and tranquil than the main Conquistador Hotel.
Make sure if you go, to make plans to have dinner at La Estacion. This restaurant is off site, but right outside the entrance of the hotel (turn right after coming out by the main entrance). Excellent regional cuisine with great atmosphere at a fraction of the cost of what you pay in the resort.

Room Tip: We appreciated having a room in the north village which was situated in between the infinity pool an...
2 Thank TheAbbySeas
Dear TheAbbySeas,

Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience at Las Casitas Village. I am sure readers will appreciate your tips, to which I will add for their benefit. Indeed renting a car is always a good option when planning to leave the resort for tours and local restaurants, especially since Las Casitas Village offers complimentary parking. In terms of the villas fully equipped kitchens, we also offer a grocery shopping service, so that upon arrival you can find your villa stocked.

The Infiniti Pool is indeed a special place, it probably has the best view of any restaurant in all of the island, some even compare it to Santorini in Greece. Anyhow we were thrilled that you enjoyed its menu.

Come back visit us soon...

Bloomfield, NJ
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Although it was lacking some of the amenities from the past, this hotel and its accommodations are the best in Puerto Rico. Our Casita was Ocean Front and the view will take anybody’s breath away. Palomino Island and its staff made us feel welcome and the time spent there was one of peace and tranquility. The private endless pool and its setting can bring you total relaxation, not a care in the world as you look at probably the best site in the East Side of Puerto Rico. Our Casita brought the standard kitchen with stainless steel appliances, great large flat screen TV’s (Living room unit had to be at least 50”) and the best of all, not the old misty smell of so many other resorts. The fact that your car is almost outside your door and there is no waiting time it is great. Last, the ability to get transportation to the main building upon request, was one that I got to enjoy very much. This place I recommend for anybody who wants to get away for a few days and worry about nothing. The pricing is not one for the weak of hart, but it is the best service money can buy.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

1 Thank Imedina806
Dear Imedina806,

Much thanks for being a loyal fan of Las Casitas Village. We would not have described the resort better than you did and were flattered that you hold us in such high esteem.

The new large flat screen televisions are indeed exciting and were a needed improvement. Every year we work on different new ideas to improve not only the facility but also our services. Do come back visit us soon, 2014 will be a great year!

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
#20 of 47 in San Juan
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!