“LA CASITAS VILLAGE,A WALDORF ASTORIA RESORT”

Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Fajardo
“LA CASITAS VILLAGE,A WALDORF ASTORIA RESORT”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

EXCELLENT HOTEL my family and me had a great time in the Casitas Village and in the Conquistador we went to Palomino Island and the infinite pool .During our stand Ruben Moreno gave us an outstanding treat excellent employee like him invite you to stand algun.

JOSEPHINE

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Josephine R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Finnish first
Georgetown, United States
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Very nice indeed. Seemed private and we were there during the weekday and weekend. The weekend saw a lot more people. We had to ask management to quiet down some young adults who were partying in upper Casita above us. Lots of stairs. Go to Palomino Island for the beach, worth the trip and its a free ride. We spent a lot of time just relaxing and time at the Infinity Pool. I was surprised by the 18% Resort Tax I had to pay upon check out when I thought I had pre paid everything... Beautiful spot indeed.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor Casita so you don't hear those above you.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeffery C
Woodbridge, VA, United States
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband, three kids and I stayed at Las Casitas July 4-9th, 2014. It is a beautiful resort with breath-taking views. We took the shuttle from the airport which I recommend if you show up on the 4th of July. (Traffic was bad and I'm glad someone else was driving). We had a personal butler available, if needed. (Only needed him for help with luggage). Check-in was quick and easy at the Las Casitas office. We set up restaurant reservations ahead of time with the concierge (a different restaurant for each night). Chops Steakhouse had very good food and excellent cocktails but dinner took about 3 hours. (Not sure if they were short of help or if that's the norm). It is one of the best places to go and just sit and have a cocktail/drink. Stingray's by the Marina, La Piccola Fontana and Blossom's were excellent as well and didn't take as long. Blossom's has a Japanese restaurant side and a Chinese restaurant side. I highly recommend the Japanese side. It was the best Japanese food I've had and the chef even let my 8 yr. old son help him crack the egg on the grill. If you want lo mein noodles, they'll get them for you from the Chinese side. Their cocktails were wonderful also. I had the best Mudslide there out of any of the restaurants. We stayed in the south Las Casitas and took a van or golf cart when we needed to get to the main hotel. They come around about every 15 minutes or so. If it's been awhile, the office will call one for you. We gave about $2 tip per trip which isn't really expected, but appreciated. Everyone is very nice and helpful and usually have a good sense of humor. Las Casitas' office is open till 2am. Las Casitas does not seem easily accessible for wheelchairs/walkers, except to the office, so if you can't handle stairs, you'll want to book at El Conquistador side since they have elevators and ramps. Also, you wouldn't have to worry about getting in and out of vans/golf carts. You would want to verify this with the concierge. We didn't leave the resort except to go to Palomino Island on the boat ride. We changed in the restrooms there. They provided one towel per person. They have Iguanas Cafe and Don Q's Rum Bar-which closed early afternoon. They have pony rides, a large chess set, a game like shuffle board, but with balls (sorry, I don't know the name of it), ping-pong and a beautiful beach. It was very hot but we cooled off quickly in the water. Bring watershoes with you if you can. Also, always keep your white card that has your room number on it with you to verify you're a guest and to charge things to your room if you want to. We also needed it to get on the boat. We did a lot of swimming! The waterpark was great. We stayed there all day until we needed to get ready for dinner. Near our Casita, we had a small pool and 2 hot tubs on each side of the pool right at the top of the stairs. The pool signs say they close at 10pm but the staff says all the pools on the resort are open 24 hours. We swam until midnight, or later, at times. It's always warm enough. We also tried the pools at the main hotel. One of them has a swim-up bar. Another has a water volleyball net and people are usually nice enough to let you play. That pool and the one next to it use something besides chlorine in the pool. It's like a salt water solution. (Not sure what to call it). The others use chlorine. The lobby of El Conquistador has several shops, some with locally-made items, a Starbucks, a bar with music and games in the evening, an arcade, a cafe that's open for breakfast, lunch and dinner (but the food is not great and a little overpriced) and 4 birds in cages that sometimes like to talk. Also, there is one little convenience store near Starbucks that has a little of everything, but is also very overpriced. The experience was overall 99% positive and I'm glad my husband talked me into going. It has been my best vacation so far. We would come back some day. Next time, we would check out El Yunque rain forest and Old San Juan for sure. They were highly recommended.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

1 Thank Jamie S
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I'll be austere to be impartial:
I've stayed at the adjacent El Conquistador with mixed results.
Pros:
1. Gorgeous location. It makes you feel relaxed. Wherever you walk the serene sensation is overwhelming.
2. Very up to date rooms. I stayed in a double room and it impresses the quality of the appliances.
3. Pools are phenomenal. Specially the infinity pool.
4. Staff is very friendly
5. Parking in front of the rooms
6. The morning buffet staff was INCREDIBLE!!

Cons:
1. Lots of stairs ( they have shuttles to everywhere FYI)
2. Very thin walls. The next room guests were very rowdy at 3 am. We could here every step
3. Not many eating options.( Many at the Conquistador)
4. Finicky bathroom door. The bathroom locked me out. It is serious with two toddlers and a previous night of drinking. Thank goodness for hang wires

You will enjoy it if you want ot relax and be in awe with its grounds. You won't if you have a party mind set.

Room Tip: Adjoined rooms are louder.
2 Thank Cooberson
Annandale, NJ
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My wife and I, along with our three kids, just returned from a five night stay at Las Casitas Village. The expectations that we had for this property were very high and we really were quite excited to go there. On the plus side, the natural beauty of the property was breathtaking and sitting poolside at the Eternity pool was wonderful. Like previous reviewers, we also had Frank as our tour guide when we visited the El Yunque National Forest. He was terrific and extremely good. Another fun experience was the Bioluminescent Kayak Tour in Fajardo. If you get a chance to do this, do it!

Check in was very easy - IF - you are checking it at the villages or you are a Hilton Honors member. General check-in at the resort was very slow - huge line and insufficient staffing. Our villa was nice and the service was good. The only drawback on the villa was the condition of the room, as it needs some TLC - cracked molding, doors not closing in the bathroom and insufficient hot water. A top tier hotel with top tier pricing should have better accommodations.

Our only major problem came when we made reservations a day in advance for the Stingray Café. We had made reservations to sit at a specific table and were promised same. It was a lovely spot and we were looking forward to it. Unfortunately, when we showed up the next night, the hostess informed us that the table we wanted was not available, as the manger was going to use it. I protested, but to no avail. We ended up eating at La Piccola Fontana. While a good dinner, it was an interior restaurant with no views - except of the drunken corporate event across the hall. Overpriced as well.

I travel with Hilton a great deal, but cannot say I would return. Never had a time when it was clearly spelled out that the customer is not that important. When checking out, we raised our concerns to the staff at the Manor House. No apology, no "What can I do to make it better?". Instead, I was told to write a review on Trip Advisor.

Review written. Still not feeling happy with Las Casitas Village, El Conquistador Resort, Waldorf Astoria or Hilton.

Next time I'll spend my money somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else that appreciates its customers.
18 Thank squadcall
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed at Las Casitas for five nights and had an amazing time. The minute we drove in the beautiful landscaping and grounds took our breath away. Check-in was quick and easy and the service we received was wonderful. Originally we had booked a standard guestroom but were very happy when they upgraded us to a one bedroom casita for the same price. June is low season in Puerto Rico, and during our stay we often found ourselves feeling as though we were the only people staying in our casita unit.

The bellman gave us a ride to our casita in his golf cart, which my boys really enjoyed, and helped us with our luggage. He gave us his cell phone number and told us to call should we need anything. He also said he would stock our refrigerator with bottled water during our stay. Unfortunately that did not happen and we had to call for service several times to get bottled water delivered.

Our one bedroom casita had a balcony with an ocean view (I think most of the casitas have an ocean view as they are all perched on top of the cliff overlooking the Atlantic ocean) and was large and beautifully furnished. We had a full kitchen, breakfast area, living area and full bathroom next to the bedroom which was separated from the living area by double doors. The king size bed in the bedroom was extremely comfortable and had plenty of pillows and nice linens. My boys slept on the pull-out couch in the living area and said that it was "ok" but it did have plenty of pillows and nice linens as well. There were two large flat screen televisions in the unit, one in the bedroom and one in the living area. The only issue we had with our casita was that the air conditioning unit did not work properly. When it was on it left the room freezing cold and attempts to adjust it proved useless. We ended up turning it off and opening the balcony doors to let in the ocean breezes, which was fine. I did not think to report the problem as we were not in the room much, so I can't complain about the service in that respect. Aside from that the bathroom was large with a full size tub and shower (water pressure was not great) but a little dated. It was ok, but not the kind of luxury bathroom I would expect to see in a Waldorf-Astoria resort.

We booked the hotel with the breakfast package and am very glad we did. Breakfast at Las Brisas was very good, from the food to the service. There was plenty of offerings from eggs and omeletes to oatmeal, french toast and pancakes and a wide assortment of pastries and fresh fruit and juices. The restaurant also has spectacular ocean views. We also had breakfast one day at Las Casitas and that was also very good, though they didn't have as wide of an assortment as they did on the El Conquistador side at Las Brisas.

I read the hotel reviews here before we left and some people complained of all the walking that was necessary to get from one place to the other. Granted, it is a very large resort and we knew that prior to booking. Honestly the walking was not an issue for us or for our two boys (age 5 and 9). Walking to breakfast at El Conquistador from our casita every morning took us about 6 minutes and on the way we got to enjoy the beautifully manicured grounds and pools. Taking the funicular down to the water park or to Palomino island took maybe 15 minutes. We did not experience long lines for either the funicular or for the Palomino island ferry during our stay, but that may have had to due with the fact that we were there during low season.

Our boys loved the pools at the resort! I think there were six of them total. They especially liked the infinity pool that is only open to guests staying at Las Casitas (though we could use use pools at El Conquistador). The pools were clean and the water warm and the hot tubs (some with absolutely amazing views overlooking the ocean) were also nice.

We went to Coqui water park one day and all had a good time (aside from the food and poor service). There are a variety of water slides for small children and older children and also a lazy river and a couple of pool areas. Water park rules here are not as stringent as they are in the States. The lifeguards at the top of the slides looked bored and didn't manage the lines well, so sometimes you had kids on top of one another coming off of the slides. If you have little children be careful. There is one area at the water park where you can sit down and have lunch and this was probably the worst service we received at the resort. There were not many people waiting in line to order, but even so it took over half an hour for us to get our hot dogs and pizza. To top it off the pizza was burned and we had to order another one which took another 15 minutes. The food was mediocre at best. The restrooms at the water park were fairly clean and large however there were 10 sinks and soap dispensers in the women's restroom and not one of them had soap in it! I reported the issue to the woman at the entrance (because I couldn't find any other hotel employees) and it took another 15 minutes before someone arrived with soap. Really, the service and the food at the water park could have been much, much better but we still managed to have a good time. One tip: if you go to the water park after 4 pm the entrance fee is reduced. The water park closes at 5:30 or 6 pm and there is an extra cost to resort guests for use.

Palomino Island is stunning and a must-do if you are staying at the resort. The short ferry ride there was enjoyable and once we arrived we couldn't believe how beautiful it was. The water is crystal clear and a brilliant turquoise. Honestly it rivaled any other beach I've been to in the Caribbean. There were plenty of lounge chairs available with umbrellas. If water sports are your thing there are many to choose from. There is also a mini basketball court on the island right by the water that my 9 year old son loved. What a fabulous background to play a round of basketball! There is also an area where you can play soccer and table tennis, and horseback riding is available. My son and I hiked to the top of the island where there is a little chapel and were greeted with magnificent panoramic views. If you have kids, be sure to inquire at the front desk of the El Conquistador about the scavenger hunt that is part of the Kids Club activities. There are places throughout the resort and Palomino Island where kids can search for and collect colored rubber wristbands. My sons really enjoyed hunting for these, especially the ones on Palomino Island, and learned a lot about the resort and Puerto Rico in the process! Lunch at Palomino was good but not great. Service was a little slow.

Aside from breakfast, food at the resort was just ok. We didn't eat at any of the fancier restaurants on site since they didn't have kids menus, so chose the casual restaurants for lunch and dinner instead. They had standard fare for kids (hot dogs, chicken tenders, burgers) and Puerto Rican dishes (mofongo, churasco) which were good but not great. Our best meal in Fajardo was off site at the restaurant Di Yuka's which is only a five minute drive from Las Casitas. While waiting for the ferry to Palomino another hotel guest told us about it and it was absolutely fabulous. You must try the Yucca soup! It is small inside with limited seating (some outdoor seating is available), so you might want to call ahead first. They do have a kids menu and my kids loved their food as well.

The location of the resort in Fajardo is a great jumping off point for other day trips in the area. We went to El Yunque with the kids and had a great time. We didn't sign up for a tour; many of the popular tourist points (La Coca falls, Twin Peaks) are easily accessible by car. I'm so glad we had ours and were able to go at our own pace. For La Mina falls we parked and then hiked down to the falls. It tooks us about 25 minutes to get there and was challenging (up/down and sometimes rough terrain), but our 5 year old was able to do it all by himself. Round trip the hike to La Mina falls is probably about 2.5 miles so be sure to bring comfortable shoes and plenty of bottled water. It was 3 pm when we arrived at the falls so there were plenty of tourists there already. Might be best to arrive earlier in the morning to avoid the crowds.

We wanted to take the ferry to Culebra on our last day at the resort but it was cloudy and windy and we were nervous about taking the 1 1/2 hour ferry in such conditions. If you do go, I would suggest that you find the marina the day before. It is not far from the hotel but we had a little trouble locating it.

Overall we had a fabulous, memorable time at the resort. Now that we are home, my boys are asking how soon we can go back. They loved the pools, Palomino island, the kids activities and the coqui's (tree frogs native to the region). My husband and I loved our casita, the beautiful grounds and landscaping, magnificent views of the ocean from atop the cliffs, and all the amenities. My husband didn't get a chance to golf but the course looked amazing! There were a few service issues that we exprienced so our stay wasn't perfect, but it was amazing. We will most definitely be back!

Room Tip: Stay at Las Casitas rather than El Conquistador. Virtually all of the casitas have beautiful views o...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank pvavarou
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The grounds are beautiful. The staff is friendly and helpful. The ocean, marina and pool views from the North Casitas were very lovely. The rooms were nice, clean and comfortable. We took a great tour of the rainforest with Frank, the forest ranger, who took us a bit off the beaten path for a real appreciation of the rainforest. Had a great time horseback riding in the hills and along the beach of Palomino Island. The stables are run by a family who obviously love what they do and the animals. On the negative side all the meals are kind of pricey and very generic, though tasty. I would have preferred more Latino food options. Many of the amenities are a la care and pricey. I expected some sort of live music at a venue of this caliber. Overall I had a great time and would return.

Room Tip: Ask for North side casitas with ocean views and close walking distance to main hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
#20 of 47 in San Juan
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!