“Way overpriced and not worth it”

Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fajardo
Alexandria, Virginia
“Way overpriced and not worth it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Our family stayed at Las Casitas for 7 days right before the July 25th holiday and our experience was a dissapointment. We were looking forward to this vacation for a long time and I flew in to PR to meet them. Our expectations were very high based on the amount of money it cost. We made our reservations back in January through Hilton's reservation and we changed it a few weeks later to stay a week earlier. We arrived to check in and the lady in the front desk could not find our reservation by our names so I had to find the confirmation number in my e-mails. Once she finds the reservation, she looks at us and says that our reservation was for the following week, all of this while looking at us as if we were dumb enough to not know our reservation date. We immediately told her that was wrong and showed the confirmation email. One of the other employees told us 'in the future you need to call us if you change your reservation'. My brother and I looked each other and could not believe she was telling us that. How are we suppose to know that your reservation systems do not talk to each other? They are aware that those changes are not reflected in their system. So if you are aware of that, you should have a process in place to make sure that you capture changes to reservations. This is certainly not the way to treat a guest, specially for the amount of money we paid to stay. They had to find us a place to stay and instead of staying in a villa with all three rooms under the same roof (similar to staying in a house), we had the one where we had the entire upper floor for ourselves but the rooms were separate like a hotel. As we are wrapping up the check in process, we wanted to confirm that our rate included the tickets for the water park. The lady said that the system did not say we had the tickets, basically told us that we needed to prove that they were included and e-mail her the proof in the confirmation email. I looked in my e-mails since I had all the e-mails when the reservation was changed and none of them had any mentioned of the tickets. I told her that there was no way for us to prove it since the original e-mail did not even include and that we trusted the resevation agent when she said they were still included. After she kept insisting to prove it, she gave in and gave us the ticket plus free parking for all the cars. This whole ordeal lasted over an hour and a half. Once we got in the rooms, only the living room and one of the rooms had ocean view (which we paid extra). We expected wrapped around porch with ocean view from all the rooms (or at least for the majority of them).

Our villa was clean but definitely needed updates (trim needed replacement, tiled in the bathroom were kind of grossed, toilet was kid-size, etc). Ants were all over the place and called to report it. Someone came to fumigate and I told them that you need to fumigate around the window from the outside and he proceeded to say that his ladder was not high enough at which time nothing else was done. The wireless Internet only worked in the living room and not in the rooms; once again called to ask about this problem and three people gave me different responses and only to find out that the signal only works in that area (Really? You can't buy and install another router to extend the signal which probably cost less than $200?). There was no tv remote for one of the rooms and no bed sheets for the sofa cama. Several times we called for problems and always got different responses. Another example: they told us to put the trash bag outside the villa because someone would pick it up, well the next morning the bag was still outside broken and with food all over the place.

The best pool was the infinity pool with view to the ocean. The other pool available for Las Casitas guest was not cleaned at all with leaves and insects in the water. The hot tub was even worse with pieces of gum paper. We had enough when my boyfriend's son was playing with something that looked like a piece of meat. We tried the pools at the hotel and those were worse. Again, not cleaned with trash in the water (even saw a soda can floating in the water). The hot tubs there were the same and God knows what was in the water as some couples were hanging out late at night (some of the tubs are hidden so perfect for you know what). What I found most strange is that I never saw a lifeguard in any of the pools or at the beach. The pools are not more that 5ft but there should have been one just in case.

To finish our time there, other stories about the great customer service: called to ask for two bags of ice but the lady said they are running short so we could have one, which was fine with me. But an hour later I had to call again and was told they had to go to the hotel to get the bags and it finally showed up. At check out time, we called the butler to help us with our bags and he kept complaining that we had too many bags and boxes (all the males in the family were helping to get our stuff downstairs so it was not like we left him to do all the work).

I can continue adding more stories but would probably continue writing. My mom always wanted to stay at Las Casitas. We had very high expectations of the place and expected close to VIP treatment. But instead dissapointment all the time. I expected more from a Waldorf Astoria and for what we paid, it was not worth it at all. We are not staying here anymore.

1 Thank odella10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Finnish first
Schaumburg, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed at Las Casitas over spring break 2014 and loved it. I read so many reviews about the property but still had a hard time visualizing it. We loved walking from our Casita through the Conquistador, visiting the birds, picking up some Starbucks and taking the Funicular down to the marina. The walk was very enjoyable and after a long Chicago winter I didn't want to be indoors one minute longer. I even woke up early the last two morning to sit by the infinity pool and watch the sunrise. We were very glad that we chose Las Casitas, we rented a car and liked the free parking in front of our unit and the golf cart shuttle to the the Conquistador for the few times we didn't feel like walking. Our unit was very spacious, clean and quiet. I would recommend this for anyone. I hope to return for spring break 2014.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Wow! This place was beyond what my wife and I expected. We knew it was going to be nice (given the price), but this place was paradise.

Room:
We were upgraded to an ocean view room for free and we were amazed at how big the room was and how beautiful the view was. We had two french doors that led out onto a huge balcony overlooking the ocean. The room was more than spacious and very clean. There was a little room for improvement in the tub/shower area, but nothing major. There was plenty of closet space to hang our clothes and more than enough counter space in the bathroom for both of us.

Pools:
The pools are amazing here. The infinity pool was a lot of fun and it provided an awesome view. It was also nice that they had drink and food service available. If you wanted a more active/lively scene you could head over to the pool at the El Conquistador. Everyone seemed to be having fun at all times of the day here.

Food:
We ate at several of the poolside restaurants and at some of the fancier restaurants and they were all good. Some people complain about the prices, but I felt like they were fair considering your at a resort. The only time our bills got pricey was when we were buying a lot of drinks, otherwise they were not too much more than we would normally pay. We ate every single meal at the resort and ate somewhere different just about every time during our 4 night stay.

Safety:
100% safe, no question about it. The place is completely private and on a huge piece of land with restricted access for guests only.

Service:
Everyone we encountered was nice and very polite. Most food/drink service was quick aside from some of the really peak hours. We were always satisfied. I really liked that I could call room service for complimentary water at any hour and they would bring me a bag full of bottle water.

THE PRIVATE ISLAND:
This was the BEST part of our trip and where we spent the majority of the time during our stay. The island is what you imagine when you think of Caribbean paradise. It is a quick 10 or 15 minute ferry ride away and it has everything you need right on the island. Food and drink was available at two locations and there was a couple places to shop for souvenirs, beach gear/accessories, etc. We never had trouble finding beach chairs and there was always gear available for renting (kayaks, snorkeling, paddle boards, jet skis, etc. I even saw that they had horseback riding available which looked like a lot of fun, but we didn't have the time to do that. That being said, we were there for 4 days and felt like we could have stayed longer and still had plenty that we wanted to do. If we ever go back to Puerto Rico, there is no doubt that we will be coming back here.

Nearby Attractions:
The resort is close by to the rainforest and the bioluminescent bay. I highly recommend doing both.

Room Tip: Las Casitas was exactly what we were looking for in that it was quiet and a little further from the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kris H
North Haledon, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel in June 2014. What a fabulous place!!!! Pools are clean! Rooms are clean! Beds are plush!!! We had a 2 bedroom villa for a family of 5. We didn't expect to get 3 bathrooms and 3 balconies with it. Staff was courteous and very accommodating. The kitchen is fully equipped with pots and pans, dishes, bowls, chopping boards and appliances. There's a pool in sight no matter which villa you are in. The gardens on the property are absolutely breathtaking!!! The hotel's beach is on a private island about 10 minute ferry ride away. Don't let that discourage you. The ride has some fabulous views (great photos even on an iPhone). The beach was wonderful as well but packed some water shoes (broken shells on the edge of the water).
There are frequent shuttles (or you can call for one) that take you to the main sister hotel El Conquistador. There are many shops, Starbucks, game arcade, ice cream shop and couple restaurants there.
The water park was a great experience for my children (9, 7 and even 3 year old). There's a little cafe right on the water park premises (good burgers).
We are definitely going back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Palomino Island where the hotel's beach is located
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Maria S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We booked this hotel last minute. On my way there, I busted my back. Though I had stayed here before and the service has been good, this time it was excellent! This surprised me because the hotel was fully booked because it was a local holiday. Luckily, hotel staff helped me move around so I got to have a very comfortable and enjoyable vacation with my family. Without them, this vacation might have been a disaster.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Commack, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We vacationed with our family of 6 along with three other families. We stayed in a 2br Villa and it was amazing. Our rooms were clean and always well organized. There was alot of walking, but that was fine to work off our fantastic meals.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

3 Thank Maureen R
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Checked into the Wyndham and then right back out! Amex travel helped me get a room at Las Casistas instead. Hotel is gorgeous. My room had a kitchenette so I could prepare my own meals due to a very restricted diet. This place is like a micro city. ..so much to do and areas to explore. My three favorite things ...Starbucks on site, sunrise at the infinity pool and early morning hikes around the very hilly golf course followed by weight training at the private gym exclusive to Las Casistas guests.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank artsyfartsy70
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,779 reviews
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!