“What a Wonderful Adventure”

and 1 more site!
El Hotelito at the Rainforest Experience Farm
Wilmington, Delaware
“What a Wonderful Adventure”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

If you need all the comforts of home, then this place is not for you. If driving off road scares you, then stay away. If you can't live without a bunch of electronics or air conditioning, then I suggest that you find a different place to stay.

If you like adventures, sleeping among nature with little in the way of comforts, then this is the place for you. Fortunately for me and my wife, we love a good adventure. This place was excellent.

El Hotelito sits at the top of a mountain, in the middle of the rain forest. The road up the mountain is not paved with dotted lines and plenty of room for two cars. It is narrow and very bumpy. I suggest a 4x4 vehicle when you visit. I made the hike up the hill in the dark in a Hyundai Accent with 4 people and our luggage. It was a little difficult to find in the dark. The car scrapped it's bottom all along the way up and down. This was a blast! At times, I was not sure if the car would make it up the hills.

The place is very nice. It has an open concept, with plenty of sitting space on the first floor to enjoy with sounds and views of the rainforest. Raphael and his wife were very pleasant. Dinner and breakfast was delicious. They had several dogs that walked the property. All of them were gentle.

There is little in the way of electricity, so forget the blow dryers and electric shavers. You are in the middle of the rainforest, not a Hilton. It was awesome falling asleep to the coqui frogs. We will definitely stay here again in the future.

There is also a small pool out back. It was not in operation when we stayed.

To those that prefer the big hotel accommodations, be warned! To those that prefer a simpler life, welcome!

Room Tip: I stayed in room #1 on the second floor. It was a good size room. Not much in the way of furniture...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Positives: For a unique experience we booked this hotel for two nights. It is certainly off the beaten path - you will wind up several steep hills (don't worry - AWD isn't a must although I was concerned for a bit it might be!) and arrive at a bed and breakfast style hotel in the middle of the rainforest. Raphael met us with his three cute dogs and gave us a tour of the place. Although there are no outlets in the room, there is an outlet strip in the lobby where you can charge electronics. The views are amazing and breathtaking. The rooms are very cute with cement floors and open windows. The temp was just fine in the room with the windows open, however, it did rain into the room so keep items off the floor if possible...I had to throw away a book. You can hear the coqui frogs in the background and I was fortunate to see a couple. There are paths that you can hike along that belong to the hotel. It is a 25 minute drive from the El Yunque entrance and Luquillo kiosks and about 45 minutes from the airport or port.

Negatives: Although children are welcome at this location, I would NOT recommend bringing children here. First of all, there are many little nick-nacks in the lobby that the kids could get at and upset the owner. Next, the swimming pool is empty due to renovations they have to do to be in compliance with handicap standards...this means in the yard there is a 6-7 foot drop into a cement pit, so children cannot simply run around in the grass. Finally, the open air concept that we found neat is not condusive to a toddler crying before bed or just waking up....the entire hotel can hear it. While the blunt humor of Raphael is mostly funny, he can make you feel a little bad about your child if they are misbehaving. The only other recommendation I would make is to skip the dinner. It is made by the owner and is a neat atmosphere. However, it is rather pricey. If you don't mind a rambunctous atmosphere I highly recommend a dinner the kiosks in Luquillo. Very fun experience and reasonably priced delicious food. If you want a quiet homemade meal, you might not mind paying the price El Hotelito charges for their dinner.

Overall, I think it is an amazing hotel experience for the adventerous. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a unique experience...but leave the kids at home!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kali B
Tarpon Springs, Florida
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Having lived off grid in Hawaii we know all about using rain water, solar, wind and hydro power. Yes the views are great but for the money this place is Spartan. We arrived before sunset and left before sunrise in order to catch the ferry to Culebra. The trip downhill in the dark, to put it mildly was "exciting". The road to and from the hotel is exciting to drive, we were glad we had a rental and not our own vehicle! Don't plan on doing any reading in your room at night as there was only one light bulb in the middle of the tall ceiling which did not produce enough light for any activity. With the bathroom set up in our room it was impossible to take a shower without getting water over most of the bathroom floor. Plugs in the room did not work so to plug anything in (phone, computer, e-reader hair dryer was impossible. There was a charging station downstairs for guests to use, but they were all in use. Our biggest concern about this hotel is the staircase. My husband has been a contractor for 25 years and he has never seen such a poorly designed staircase. The step depth was narrow, irregularly placed and completely unlighted. We were asked to shut the lights off when we were not in the room, but when we left in the dark the only light we had to navigate the stairs was the none too bright room light and our uncharged cell phone. The manager invited us to dinner at an extra charge but we declined since we had eaten shortly before arriving. The windows were open all night since there was not air, which was fine, but the guests talked loudly and smoked which drifted up to our room. The room did have a comfy bed and we enjoyed hearing the coqui frogs and the view outside our room. We are not room snobs and usually do not stay at 4 star hotels, but for the money $130 for the night we expected a light we could use in the bedroom and safe passage down the steps. The stairs are a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Room Tip: Bring a flashlight if you are leaving before sunrise.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Holly K
jrbenitez, General Manager at El Hotelito at the Rainforest Experience Farm, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Hi there "Holly K",

I want to thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to review our property. As much as it pains me to see a negative review associated with our Hotelito we always appreciate honest feedback and we always use it to better ourselves and with that make more and more happy guests.

Reading your review, you describe El Hotelito as "Spartan", I believe El Hotelito is a simple place as the adjective suggests however it is certainly not lacking in comfort. As you suggest yourself, we do have comfy beds all made up with 500 thread count sheets and brand new memory foam mattresses so I think calling us "Spartan" is not being very fair knowing what we offer in all our rooms and public areas.

The road up to our hotel can be a little "exciting" to drive and it's part of the "Rainforest Experience" listed in our name, we always suggest daytime arrival and check in should be done by 6pm the latest to make sure you don't have a hard time seeing signs and so you can enjoy the gorgeous views up the drive! I understand that the eco-friendly LED lights we use in our rooms might have not provided enough light for your reading, I am very sorry about this, we might look into reading lights that attach to our beds, if we knew this was an issue while you were on property I could have certainly brought an extra light so you could read without issues.
The showers in our rooms are all open, it is part of the building design and for the most part guests don't have issues with that, we have added bathroom mats to all rooms to control the water splashing from the shower.

Being that we are 100% self sufficient and we 100% solar and wind power means that we have to make some concessions in order to have all the comforts of home up here inside the Rainforest, one being the charging station for all phones and electronics. The house runs on car batteries charged from the sun and wind and in order to have 110 volt power that you need we use power inverters and only have those going to certain parts of the house, it is not that the plugs in the room don't work, its that they only run on 12 volts and that's not enough to run modern day electronics. I am very sorry if this was inconvenient to you, most guests have their phone charging while they hang out downstairs, while having dinner or simply lounging around.

I see that you mention our staircase in your review (I want to clarify for all of you potential travelers that we have 3 downstairs rooms if any guest don't want to walk up) saying that the steps are irregularly placed might be a bit subjective, not sure what regularly placed steps vs irregularly placed steps look like however I do want to clarify that we have a bright LED light at top of the stairs with a wall switch right next to it, another guest might have shut it off on their way to bed and you might have possibly missed the switch when you went down that early morning when heading out to Culebra but believe me that you certainly don't need a flashlight to go downstairs.

I do apologize about the smoke entering your room, there's a few cement walls between the restaurant area and all the rooms and I don't see how this is possible, we have never received a complaint about smoke coming upstairs. Quiet hours are after 10pm every night, we normally serve dinner around 7:30pm and normally by 9:30-10:00pm everyone is in bed, I understand that you folks went straight to bed and didn't come down at any point after checking in so the noise you heard must have been before the 10pm quiet time mark.

All in all I am very sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay as much as I want all my guests to enjoy. Honestly I don't think you spent enough time on property to be swayed by our Hotelito's and our staff's charm, in the future come down to see the rest of the Hotelito and our grounds, hang out with everyone, have dinner, share with other guests, disconnect the electronics and enjoy the simple things in life that sometimes in our day to day hustle we miss or forget about, you will surely love El Hotelito then!

Warm Regards,

Rafael Benitez

P.S. For all the interested readers I will update a few pictures of our stairs in our website which you can find up top, just as a visual aid.
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and i went to Puerto Rico for our honeymoon, making a stop in the rain forest for a couple of nights. this place was AMAZING!!! Both Rafeal and his son, raffie, were very friendly and accommodating. Everything about the hotel is incredible and is JUST what we wanted. The whole rainforest experience, eco resort, small, family owned, non super touristy and beautiful was the experience Joe and i wanted for the mountain portion of our trip. The views were amongst the best I had seen on the island. Rafael made us and a few other people staying there the best burgers i had ever eaten. Not a traditional PR meal, but with the PR twist, it was perfect. The ONLY complaint I have would be the lack of hot water showers, but really, what do you expect from an eco resort? therefor, that being said, i wasn't upset. we will absolutely go back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Jersey
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Run on rain water and solar power, this place is beautiful. Open space set up. They fed us breakfast and dinner and had a nice little bar. There are no tv's and we lived by candlelight and the sun. We could use a charging station for our phones but other than that, the entertainment is up to you. There is a nice hiking trail on the property that holds the mos beautiful foliage. There are three dogs on site. Super friendly. Don't be surprised if the lizards and frogs come to visit at night. They sing you to sleep.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank elaterra
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

I can't say enough great things about this place. Beautiful setting, accommodating hosts, clean and comfortable rooms... It was the highlight of our trip. Unfortunately we only spent one night but I will be back. I travel often and have pretty high standards, and I rarely ever write reviews so you know they are doing something right!

Stayed March 2014
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 15 March 2014

The location just can't be better. It is in the heart of the Jungel, at the top a mountain, with an amaizing vue to the Ocean, to Culebra and Vieques Ilands. If you would like to feel yourself sourrounded with nature, plantation and bird singing, this is just the right place to be. As it is an Eco Village, don't be nervous, if you have to wait for the water sometimes, it is not serious. The rooms has amaizing vue, the hause has a calm, fliendly atmosphere, so you can jus relax, calm yourself. The owner is taking care of you, He is cooking amaizingly, so to order a dinner from Him is highly recomended! The rooms are large, clean and beautifully furnished. All in all this was one of the most romantic place I have ever been.

Room Tip: Try to choose rooms on the floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Marietta F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
The Fajardo Inn
The Fajardo Inn
#3 of 4 in Fajardo
Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to El Hotelito at the Rainforest Experience Farm? Share your experiences!