“Stale shrimp and overpriced”
Review of Port House Restaurant - CLOSED

Port House Restaurant
Cuisines: Caribbean
Santa Barbara, California
“Stale shrimp and overpriced”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I ordered a Penne Pasta ($12 on the menu). The server asked what I would like it with, and gave chicken, shrimp, and vegetables as options. I chose shrimp. Firstly the shrimp was stale and rubbery.... hardly what one would expect in a seaside restaurant. Worse, when the bill came, we were charged more than double for the pasta ($25) and it was listed as something else on the menu! The server did not mention anything about this upcharge when we were ordering.

Apart from that the service was good, and the lady working there was very friendly. Unfortunately, restaurants need to get their food right first before any of that makes a difference.

There are several other places in Fajardo, stay away from this one.

• Visited November 2013

Ceiba, Puerto Rico
“A nice surprise”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I had wanted to try this restaurant for a while but was hesitant because of it's location in the Marina. But I enjoyed this restaurant so much I've been back a second time within the same month. The dining room is cozy and masculine and understated, with comfortable tables and chairs. The waitstaff was very attentive and friendly, offering help with menu choices. The menu might seem expensive to you, but compared to some of the other better restaurants in the area, it's really not that bad. One big difference here is that they bring bread and butter to the table- something you rarely see, unless you are in a continental restaurant in a hotel. The menu is an interesting mix of "comida criolla" but with a modern twist. We had a delicious appetizer of sweet plantain mofongo with creole shrimp stew, and on the 2nd visit enjoyed the pulled pork arepa. For an entree I ordered the fishermans pasta. Again, don't let the prices scare you. For $30, it was well worth it. A beautiful presentation of pasta tossed in your choice of tomato based sauce or they can do a creamy alfredo or garlic/white wine/olive oil. The seafood was extremely fresh and the lobster was excellent. Well worth it. The 2nd visit I enjoyed a fresh filet of snapper simply prepared (served with your choice of side) and I had one of the best mamposteao (mixed rice & beans, flavored with peppers and usually jamon or salchicha) I've ever had. All in all, nice atmosphere, excellent service, and great food

• Visited May 2013