“Excellent food/service....very authentic local!”
Review of Don Esteban Restaurant - CLOSED

Don Esteban Restaurant
Cuisines: Cuban, Spanish, International, Puerto Rican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We visited Don Esteban while staying at Las Casitas Village Resort in Fajardo. We were looking for a more affordable and authentic local dining experience than what was offered at our resort. I had received a recommendation from a friend of a friend that was local. We made a reservation for 13 people....3 families...and had two tables....one adults and one kids. The service from the very beginning was amazing. Alex served the adult table. He gave us detailed information on the dishes, even steering us towards what was best that night. My husband and I both ordered the skirt steak with sweet plantains, and shared a side of trifongo. Everything was delicious! The steak was so tender and flavorful! For dessert we had tres leches which was delightful. Others in our party tried the grouper, the conch, the oxtail soup. All were very pleased with the food. In the end, Alex also told us how to make sweet plantains and mofongo at home! The atmosphere was casual, welcoming, and would be great for friends and family. I will say that we took a cab here, which was so good, because I don't think we would have found it ourselves. It was behind the Walmart I think.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

We went here with a big group of adults and teens and everyone was happy. Yes,it is a bit of a challenge to find (turn in to the WalMart/Econo shopping center, follow road around till you see Advance Auto Parts and you will see sign), but worth the trip for yummy, home style food. We had everything from the grouper and the churrasco (steak) to the conch and the oxtail and it was all terrific. Our waiter, Alex, couldn't have been nicer. Mango mojitos and sangria were also excellent. Altogether a fine alternative to on-resort food.

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

The food at Don Esteban's is great--vegetarian mafongo, delicious coconut flan, and hot and crisp mini-arepas. Yes, it is hard to find -- put econo into google maps, then look for advanced auto parts, drive behind it, and turn onto the grass lawn/parking lot. Sitting outside on the porch, you can really appreciate the calm, warmth, and mood of Puerto Rico. Enjoy!

Reviewed 17 February 2014

My family of four went here for dinner tonight and would love to return! Great angus skirt steak and rice/ beans. Everything was fresh and delicious. Great value and great food.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

This is really good traditional PR food, well done, just as you'd expect. It misses 5 stars in my view only b/c it's not gourmet food - nor intended to be. It's simply excellent 'regular' food, very well done. My grouper was top of the line - fresh, well cooked, flaky. We arrived as part of a small tour group (8) coming from El Yunque - all of our food was very tasty.