“Can't wait until we return”

Sheraton Fiji Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Sydney, Australia
“Can't wait until we return”
Reviewed 11 July 2011

The resort was brilliant and everything worked like clockwork from the opening Bula on our arrival until our check-out.
The pools were wonderful and with the food deal we were on (from MyFiji) we got to experience all the restaurants. Port O Call was fine dining at its best!
My wife, our children and I really enjoyed our stay and we will return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Merlin1967

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Great place, staff are exceptional and knew all of our names after the first day!

Room Tip: Upgrades are available for additional local price at checkin
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SydneyArno
QLD
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I took my husband to the Sheraton Fiji Resort on a surprise anniversary trip. Not only did he get a surprise finding out that morning that he would be travelling to Fiji but I received a lovely surprise when we arrived there - we had been given an upgrade to an Ocean Front Studio room and it was absolutely perfect! There was also some champagne waiting on ice for our arrival 

The hotel itself is beautiful and the gardens are perfect. The sand was even perfectly raked every morning.

Our room rate included breakfast daily and it was pretty good. I was a little disappointed that of the 3 days we had breakfast there was only bacon there on one of those days but that’s really not the end of the world. We had the seafood buffet the first night we were there and even though we had received a discount voucher from reception when we arrived I still don't think it was worth the money. The food wasn't that good and even after the discount was very expensive. We also ate at Moo Moo's one night - I agree with everyone that Moo Moo's is very expensive but I thought it was beautiful! I would recommend taking the Bula Bus into the Marina for a couple of meals too - we found it to be so much cheaper there. I would also suggest buying some drinks and nibbles from the small store right out the front of the hotel.

Unfortunately the weather was not very nice for us. We did not once even see a tiny bit of blue sky. This did not take away from anything though; it only made us want to go back again so we can see the blue sky and get in a day trip that were weren’t able to take this time. We have now booked our next trip for this September but this time we will take our 3 kids with us. We won’t be staying at the Sheraton for this trip as I found that the Westin seemed to be a little more accommodating in helping us with connecting rooms which is a bit of a necessity when you have young children. I am sure we will find ourselves over at the Sheraton’s kid’s pool though. I always prefer to stay at Starwood hotels because I think they are great!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tdunlop
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 5 July 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Sheraton Fiji Resort in February 2011. We were slightly concerned arriving because the emails we received from the hotel prior to arrival (in response to a couple of requests)were unclear and confusing. Our flight arrived just before 5:00 in the morning,and the arrangements we had attempted to make via email were in place. Staff took our luggage to a cart that drove us to our room, and another staff-member brought us drinks as we checked in.

Our ocean-front room was on the second floor next to the adults-only pool, and we were not bothered by any noise from the pools. The balcony was large enough for two chairs and a table. The bedroom was large, and the bathroom had a separate soaking tub and shower. Both appeared to have been recently renovated. The pools at the Sheraton seemed to cater more to families,while the pool at the Sheraton Villas tended to be the warmest during our stay,and the Westin pools were mostly adults.

Guests of the three properties are allowed to use the other hotels’ facilities and charge at the other hotels’ restaurants.

We found the hotel restaurants to be fairly expensive, but Pantry at the Sheraton was good for a light lunch, and Moo-Moo at the Westin was very good for dinner. It is worth noting that there are several restaurants near the Sheraton’s Porte-Cochere and at the Port Denarau complex (including the Hard Rock Café), which is a fifteen-minute walkaway (around the golf course, and still within the gated Denarau area). The walk is safe at night.

The staff were quite friendly and without exception(to the point that we thought that it might have been a job requirement), said “Bula”to guests they encountered. The service was very good and attentive, and there were more than enough staff to ensure that we were never waiting very long for anything.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank YOWboys
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Our stay at the Sheraton was interesting. My wife, 2 children (4&6) and myself were in Fiji for 9 nights, staying at the Outrigger on the Lagoon for the first 4 nights and at the Sheraton for the last 5 nights.
Our experience at the Outrigger was top notch with excellent service , more than adequate rooms and staff who genuinely appeared to enjoy their environment which reflected onto us as guests.
By the time we arrived at the Sheraton we had an expectation of service that unfortunately was not lived up to by the initial staff we encountered there.
The lack of service was so poor (in our opinion) on the first day at the Sheraton that I was quite prepared to never go back again. Infact, I did lay a formal complaint with management over the way we had been treated!

Anyone who undertands the service industry will know that issues do happen so in the end it comes more down to how the issue is handled by management. We did receive 2 letters of apology from management and a fruit basket, which while a little underwhelming, was nevertheless appreciated.

We felt that facilities and accommodation at the Sheraton lived up to our expectations. The entrance sets an impressive scene which continues into the more than adequate room and good level of cleanliness in our room. Infact, while the service of some staff may have been average (at best) we found the ladies that cleaned our room to be exceptionally polite and accommodating.

Apart from the first night, we chose to eat dinner at the Port due to the generally high price of the food inside the resort. This however is very typical of most hotels around the world and therefore we had already expected this. We do note that the buffet breakfast is well prepared and has a good level of choice.

The location of the Sheraton is good as it is easy access in both directions to all the other resorts i.e. Westin, Sheraton Villas, Sofitel, Raddison and WorldMark. The Hilton is a litle bit of a walk however along the beach it only takes about 20 minutes so really not an issue.

Kids club looked good however our children were more interested in spending time with us, so we never got to experience it first hand.

The big question is would we recommend the Sheraton to other travellers? The answer is Yes...however, if you are epecting the trademark big smiles and genuine BULA! then you must temper that with the knowledge you probably will not see that. For that, go to the Outrigger. If you want a quality resort on Denaru where the facilties and rooms are above the norm, the "look" is nice and polished then the Sheraton will tick all the right boxes.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank gavin0195
Gilgandra, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2011

My wife and I recently stayed at the Sheriton Resort Fiji for 7 nights. We had a package with another couple that covered accomodation and meals. The meal package meant that we dined at a different resteraunt each night either at the Sheriton or its sister theWestin, next door. At first I thought this was not a very good idea but it became obvious the reason for this was to keep all the resteraunts operating and the locals employed. All the resteraunts were good especially the Port O Call. Having stayed at the nearby Hilton and Radisson 2 years earlier we thought the Sheriton was another option. My complaints with the hotel itself were with a couple of issues. We arrived at 9pm and after check in were taken to our room where the porter could not gain entry with the ekey. We waited for his return to find it didn't work again. He was successful on the next attempt, but we had 2 more "lockouts" in the time we stayed. The day before we left I returned to the room and found that I was" locked in". I called my wife to get help and after an hour and removal of the lock from the door I was free. To the credit of staff they offered me another room but with a new lock fitted we opted to stay. Our bar fridge was reported faulty and we were told some one would come that day.... we are still waiting. It took 2 days to have someone fix the safe so that we could use it.
This hotel classes itself as a 4 star unit but the utilities available on the beach were a bit of a joke. The hotel was well occupied and for the entire week it had 1 hobie to sail with the other on the beach requiring repair and 1 double kyake with only 1 oar although there was a few singles. I asked the operators could I go next door and use their hobie but was told the hotel owns the boats not the operator so I wasn't allowed. I don't know who controls these things but some one is not doing their job.
The rooms, other than the problems encounted, were very nice and the food and beverage staff excellent. Internet was only available in the room for $10fjd an hour but complimentary connection was on offer in the link room for half an hour.
On departure we were given $100FjD off the room and a bottle of wine for my ïncident"in the room.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Peter_Julie
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We stayed in an Ocean Breeze Room which was on the ground floor with a patio and surrounded by beautiful tropical gardens and a sea view. We walked about 20 metres to the free kayaks for a morning paddle and had access to sailing and other watersports. The Feast Restaurants was also only a 20 metre walk and what a feast we had for breakfast every morning. No need to worry about lunch after that!
Clean rooms, modern bathroom with huge shower and room to hang handwashing overnight.
The staff are friendly and helpful. Always ready to cheer you with a "Bula" (hello) and work really hard to make your holiday happy. They sing the most beautiful music and it is so magical amongst the Palm Trees on a moonlit evening by the pool, in the garden, surrounded by the sea!
Foya huge, beautiful and modern. The shuttle bus is only a 5 minute wait and travels the short distance to Port Denarau where there is a pretty village with heaps of gift shops and restaurants. To hire a car was quick and easy at the foya, and we travelled around the mainland to see Naji, Coral Coast, and the Garden of the Sleeping Giant, passing through sugar cane plantations and seeing many interesting features along the way.
The delightful golf course is only a 10 min.walk from your room. The surroundings tropical and well maintained.
What I loved most was the memories I took home with me.
What I disliked the most was leaving this wonderful place.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Sheraton Fiji Resort? Share your experiences!