“Wonderful restful holiday spot!”

Sheraton Fiji Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We recently spent 8 nights at the Sheraton in a ocean front room (1168) and had a fantastic stay. I was very dubious prior to arriving as I had read all the reviews here and was feeling quite anxious that it was going to be a bad experience.
Nothing could be further from the truth!!!

The staff were always friendly and welcoming and while some staff did look tired when not engaging with a guest, I can imagine working on your feet all day in the heat and humidity of a Fijian January can take your shine away! We were always really spoiled by the staff who attended to our needs in a very professional way.

The prices at the fine dining restaurants and bars seem high but as of yesterday, the exchange rate was $1 AUD = $1.85 FD which meant the prices weren't over the top by any means. By comparison, I certainly can't afford to eat in Sydney's 5 star hotels for 8 days running either. Our answer was to eat dinner at the restaurants in Port Denarau, snack at the Piazza cafe across from the road from the lobby and breakfast at Feast (included in our package) We had a great meal at Indigo, the Indian restaraunt, as well as the Italian and Lulu's. Our son wanted a trip to the Hard Rock Cafe and it was by far the most expensive meal at the Port.

We always got a $5 taxi to the Port as $10 round trip was much cheaper for the 3 of us than $21 for the Bula Bus ticket. We only went to the Port for dinner and spent our days lounging by the lagoon pool at the Sheraton Villa's. Maybe a 50 metre walk from the Sheraton Lobby.

This is a much larger pool and there were lounges still available there at 10.30 am as people didn't put out their towels and then go to breakfast. It is a very pretty pool and has shady spots where you can just stand in the water for a long cool stay. We could also walk 25 metre along the path and swim in the much deeper horizon pool if we felt like a change in scenery. There was bar service available, but we went 25 metres the opposite way and bought drinks and snacks from the supermarket or cafe out the front.

I would like to see the Hotel come up with a policy to deal with people reserving a sun lounge and then taking off for hours while someone else could be using it. When I spoke to one staff member she smiled and sighed and said she didn't know why guests do that. I would love to see the problem solved, but remember is caused by selfish guests, not the hotel. I would ask these people why they feel they are more deserving than others to the exclusive use of the facilities offered.

I could go on for ages but in summary, a great place for a lazy poolside relaxing holiday. People were delightful and the services wide ranging. Not for romantic interludes, much more for families!

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are large and spacious. The second block on the left from the restaurants and ba...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Coolbreezes18
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Fiji Resort

Reviewed 23 January 2012

We stay in Sheraton Fiji during the last 5 nights of a trip. Up until this point we had an amazing trip, no issues. Upon checkin to this hotel, all of the stress that melted away while during the first week of our trip, came back. The women who was helping us check in treated us like we were stupid. We booked a room with an upgrade offer. The room she tried to put us in was NOT the room we booked let alone the upgraded room. I had confirmed which room we were supposed to be in three times before I left. Then I arrive at the hotel and our room was occupied. So instead of trying to put us in a comparable room, we get downgraded??? Really? The manager was extremely rude to us about this and raised his voice to me. Only after I told him to cancel my reservation because I was leaving to go to the Intercontinental, did he become helpful. The whole situation took about 2 hours to resolve. We were finally given a room, a room that we booked, NOT the upgraded room. The funny thing was that the hotel was empty so you couldnt even tell me that it was a mistake due to being booked solid. I shouldnt have to fight to get what I paid for especially when I had printed the confirmations showing what I paid for.
The food here is not good at all. Dont even bother with it unless you have a meal included in your room rate. In the buffet restaurant. the breakfast was better then the dinner, the dinner was gross. We left and went to dinner in the marina every night. The prices are way more reasonable and the food was very good.
NOW... most importantly... The beach here is not very nice. It has swamp like sand and the water is not what you picture Fiji water to look like. It was dark and you could not see through to the bottom even in shallow water. We were told that Denarau Island used to be mangroves and the beaches are all man made, the whole island is man made. Everytime I went in the ocean I would itch like I was getting eaten by a swarm of fleas... A local told me there are sea lice in the water there. G-R-O-S-S.
Do yourself a favor... stay somewhere else. We visited other islands in the Mamanukas or Yasawas and they are gorgeous. The water is amazing. Not man made from swamps. If you want to stay on Viti Levu, go to the Intercontinental Natadola. We went there for a few hours to hang out and I was so mad I didnt leave the Sheraton that first day to go there. There is no point in staying at a hotel that has a nasty beach, horrible service and horrible over priced food.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank qtpie815
Reviewed 23 January 2012

A large resort on a beautiful setting with a great selection of pools & restaurants. It is a bonus being able to use the facilities at the neighboring hotels Sheraton Villas & Westin. The staff were friendly & relaxed. The rooms were lovely - clean, modern, and spacious. Excellent bathrooms. The buffet breakfast included in the room rate was extensive, fresh & tasty. Other meals were good but $$ as you expect in a resort. I would holiday here again.

Room Tip: I paid extra for the Ocean Front room. It was lovely overlooking the beach, quiet & peaceful. Ho...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank running-again
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We stayed for one week in December 2011. We arrived late in the night and it did take quite a while for us to get checked in. I think it's just that everyone there is on 'Fiji time' and we were exhausted and hungry but you just need to go with the flow and everything works out. We had a fantastic room. I think it was one of the best in the whole place. It was close to the pools and right on the beach. When booking we requested a first floor room with beach/ocean views and we definitely got it. The food vouchers that were included in our package for dinner each evening were a little confusing to start with but once we understood how they worked we had no trouble. We could visit each restaurant once only including the restaurants at the Westin and they stamped your voucher to confirm you had already dined at the Restaurant. Food was all included, we just paid for drinks so this was wonderful. The best dinner restaurant was Port O Call, it was such a wonderful experience. Also, The Flying Fish restaurant near the pool was awesome. We ate lunch there everyday, we just couldn't get enough of the dumplings, they were delicious. Lunch for two of us cost about $50 and included a beer and a wine and we thought that was very reasonable considering the quality and quantity of the food. The pool bar was wonderful too, the staff there were lovely. Always on Fiji time, but that was good for us and made us relax that little bit quicker. The pineapple daquiri's were the best. Overall, we had a wonderful stay, we would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Request a first floor room with beach/ocean views. The building closest to the pool (I can't re...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Ingrid101
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I could have just gone to Surfers to hang out at the mall with pool yuk ! A questions to ask yourself :
1. Do you want to race out of bed to reserve a sun bed with the blue and white hotel towel at some ridiculous hour whilst standing in the long breakfast queue to get a ridiculously expensive breakfast ???
if you want you can you sleep in on your comfortable bed and relax with very noisy AC instead. (It was autoset min temp to always be just a little too warm) ... and dont forget the broken shelfless fridge cooking itself in a ventilation free cabinet - it is probably still broken !
Perhaps then get up and go out the resort via central bus station at reception. So many people ! Perhaps shop for a Rolex watch ? - phooey!!
Decide if you prefer to swim in the small dirty adults pool. But where do you put your towel ? I saw a guest tell another guest that some rare empty abandoned sunbeds were 'reserved'.
I know ! We could check out all he other resorts to rate them too and to confirm that staying at any one of them is just a puffing up exercise in saying '...darling we went to Fiji and stayed at the 5 star resort' so impressive !
And... A $ 10 fish'n chips for $40 too much but they soften the price on the menu by quoting the ex tax price which will catch you at settlement. I also paid $ 10 for a local call - don't touch the phone ouch !

I am sure you get the picture. Far, far better to go to the superb 4+ star island resorts to get away from the hustle and bussle than to stay in the plastic resorts.
I guess it is horses for courses but not for one's expecting and paying for 5 star.

If you went to something rated by trip advisor as better and ignored the universal hotel star system you would not be dissappoonted - my bad because on one hand I listened about Lomani island resort which was truly superb and ignored it for this booking.
My vote goes to trip advisor and my fellow travelers for getting it right.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank jirej1
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I did not find the staff on the front desk very friendly, we reserved a queen room and were given 2 double beds. I left my phone cord in my room on leaving and went back only to find the cleaner with it under her towels. She said she reported it to front desk but they did not bring it to my attention on check out. ( Be Careful ) Needs new locks on doors as were locked out for a few hours and we were not the only ones. A better door over looking the water would be nice with security as one could sleep with breeze instead of air con.
The adults pool is small and the kids are not asked to leave it even though they have a sign up and the family pool is large. People fight for chairs by the pool at breakfast time and tell you off if you take the place they had yesterday. It is as if because they have been coming for years they think they own the place.
But the staff were helpful and friendly, the food great, alright drinks were above Oz prices but take your own and have it before or after dinner and then buy less. Or go and just enjoy and spend up.

Room Tip: Up grade to water front.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary255059
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Excellent staff and service. The stay was enjoyable. The only real downer is the restaurant and drink prices. It would be nice to have the option of a more casual style restaurant without the ridiculous prices. I ordered a glass of sparkling wine by the poolside and upon arrival discovered that it was $39.00 per glass, plus 20 percent gst. I was informed that this was the cheapest option. My daughter ordered a bowl of steamed rice through room service which was quite reasonably priced at about $4, however we were slugged with a $12.50 delivery fee! Lol!!!

• Stayed: January 2012
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Sheraton Fiji Resort? Share your experiences!