We booked out stay at the Sheraton with a little trepidation, given some of the reviews. I have to say we were very pleasantly surprised. The hotel is very open about getting ready to close for renovations, so we didn't expect top-notch accommodations. However, it was pretty close, and for the money, a great value.
We arranged a taxi in advance with the hotel. It cost about $20 USD, and was well worth it. Check-in was smooth and relatively quick (remember Fiji time.) The lobby was attractive, and the business center offers free unlimited internet access (but only five computers.)
We were very pleased with our ocean view room. Yes, some things are in need of replacing and fresh paint, but everything was very clean and comfortable. The bed was marvelous! My only complaint is with the air conditioning - there was no setting low enough to prevent the room from getting waaay too cold.
All the restaurants and bars are about what you would expect in a resort - a little expensive for what you get, but we found the food to be good and the service friendly, if sometimes a little slow. Breakfast was included in our room rate, and it was a nice buffet. Purchased individually, it's about $30 US, which I would consider overpriced. There is a market across the street and one at the Marina, or you can go into Nadi and stock your room with some goodies and save some money.
The beach and pool area are well-maintained and staffed, with lots of activities for family members of all ages. Staying at the Sheraton gives you access to the other Westin properties and all the amenities.
There are a couple of buses - one bus takes you between the three Westin resorts, and the other one takes you all around Denarau. The marina is a nice stop, and we also enjoyed taking the free boat from the Westin to the resort's island for a nice afternoon.
Denarau Island is lovely, but it is sort of cut off from the rest of Viti Levu. You can get a taxi into Nadi for about $10, and our driver would always wait for us. It doesn't take long to walk through Nadi, but beware some aggressive vendors! We always lucked out with very friendly and informative drivers who were very interested in the U.S. political situation and explained the culture of Fiji.
I don't feel that staying on Denarau really gives you a good feeling for what Fiji is like. If you strictly want the resort experience, this is a great value, and we certainly enjoyed our stay. But if you want to experience a little more local flavor, spend at least part of your stay elsewhere in Fiji.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sheraton Fiji Resort is stunningly situated in the tropical oasis of Denarau Island. Designed with comfort in mind, the 297 spacious guest rooms and suites are beautifully furnished in harmony with the idyllic South Pacific setting. The resort is the ideal playground for vacationers and families to experience an array of dining venues and leisure activities. With its close proximity to Denarau Marina, it has an easy and quick access to the beautiful outer islands, shopping and a vast range of dining experiences. The resort is the ideal backdrop for an unforgettable destination wedding in Fiji or a corporate style event. Starwood Preferred Guest(R) Members receive complimentary in room internet when booking direct. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood APAC, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Sheraton Fiji Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Fiji Hotel Denarau Island
- Sheraton Denarau Island
- Denarau Island Sheraton
- Sheraton Fiji Resort Denarau Island