“Good facilities and large rooms”

Sheraton Fiji Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Hamilton, NZ
“Good facilities and large rooms”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I have stayed approx. 20 times on Denarau over the years.

The rooms at the Sheraton are large, tidy and nice. Our bathroom had a double sink and walk in shower. The females complained that there were no mirrors in the bedrooms.

Expect a long walk to get to your room and to the restaurants and pools. The chime bar is one of the best bars in the hotels on Denarau. Great wi-fi!

If I was here with a family then I would stay next door at the villa's which are a similar quality and you get a lounge/dinning. There are at least six pools over the three properties and an amazing gym.

Room Tip: close to reception
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Fiji Resort, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear guynz,

Warm greetings from Sheraton Fiji Resort!

As a regular visitor to Denarau, I certainly appreciate your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed all of the services and facilities throughout our resort, particularly our Chime Bar, the wifi and our spacious rooms. We do have generous sized mirrors fitted within the bathrooms, however I understand that our guest rooms may not suit every guests particular needs.

Thank you once again and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Denarau.

Scott MacDonald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Sheraton Fiji review

Well another self rated 5 star, we have determined that you can no longer use the Hotels published rating to determine whether it is TRUE 5 star or not.

So unfortunately we had another very disappointing stay.

You will find many reviews on this site that say how good the Hotel was, now the only thing we can determine is that a vast majority of people have not stayed in a true 5 star hotel before.

So let me outline a few of the things that occurred to us:

We checked in and it was truly disappointing as our first introduction to the Hotel, the staff member was civil, but it seemed that she just went through the motions.

On numerous occasions during our stay we saw people being checked in and receiving varying degrees of welcome from Kava to live music.

Ours was certainly more like checking into the local business hotel on Route 66.

We attempted to upgrade and I was told that I was in the highest category room of which I was surprised as when we had originally booked I had seen that the Hotel had other types of rooms available.

So we then made it to our room and our second disappointment occurred, the room is aged and dated and quite pokey looking more like an old apartment on the Queensland Gold Coast. The smell of dampness/must was overpowering and took us a good hour to clear out by opening the doors. The bathroom vanity is on a 20 degree hanging off the wall and the twin shower system does not work properly.

The fridge only works when your key card is inserted in the power slot so we could not keep our drinks cold unless we left one of our keys cards in the slot.

As we arrived late afternoon, we decided to take advantage of the buffet feast at the main restaurant as we had been told we would receive a discount, so we headed over to the restaurant and we were told that we needed a voucher. We then informed the staff member that we had not been given one when we checked in and that started a interesting discussion about who's responsibility it would be to rectify the issue.

So we finally get seated and start sampling the buffet food, and everything that was supposed to be hot was warm, everything that was supposed to be cold was also warm. At least consistency.

The next morning we headed to the same restaurant for breakfast, wow, poor to same the least, same issues as the night before.

So now we decide to visit the pool, so off to the pool hut to collect some towels, only to be told that they had no towels as the guests from the previous day had not returned them. This is 10.00am !!! So pretty poor as far as I'm concerned.

A few hours go by and we have used our room towels and we decide to go back to our room and find out our room key won't work. My wife heads over to the water sports hire shop and tries to use the phone to call reception to find out nobody on reception is answering the phone. She finally gets through to the switch board and informs them of the issue and they say they will contact somebody to help.

My wife returns to our room and we wait 15 minutes and nobody has arrived, so my wife heads over to the reception and once she arrives she is told that somebody is already at our room so my wife runs back to find that I'm still alone and nobody has arrived.

My wife then heads back to reception one more time and on Her return we finally have a staff member arrive, he tells us that the room is locked and He will be unable to get access and they will have to break the door down.

By this time we are both at our wits end and we tell the staff ember that we are going to go to the bar and could he please come and tell us when he has gained access.

An hour and 40 minutes later I ask a member of the bar staff to call the Duty Manager to find out what has occurred. It takes the duty manager another 15 minutes and two further phone calls to appear and He knows nothing about our situation. So in finishing we finally got into our room approx 2 hours after our first attempt.

What an effort..

So on to the next drama, we book into the Hotels premier restaurant "Ports of Call" for our wedding anniversary dinner.

Well it will be one of our more memorable anniversaries at least, but for all the wrong reasons.

Firstly our waiter really needed a lesson in personal hygiene as His body odour was over powering. The food was ok, presented well, but the whole night ended very quickly when we found out that our bottle water was in fact TAP WATER, tasted heavily of Chlorine, both in the bottle which I tested and in the glasses. ( by the way the bottled water was being charged at 10.50$ )

As far as I'm concerned this is simply fraud.

When I questioned the staff over this they simply took the offending bottle and then made a dramatic introduction of a new bottle to the table making sure that we saw the that he lid seal had not been broken and showing when they broke it.

We found this very offensive and proceeded to ask for our bill and left as soon as we could.

We then informed the Duty Manager of this and it was the last we heard of the incident, no apology no communication as what had occurred, nothing until we then requested a meeting with the Hotels General Manager.

Now you would think this is the end !!, nope the reason we requested the meeting with the General Manager was because one of my wife's dresses went missing from our room, now we are not saying it was theft, it could have been collected with the laundry as my wife left it on the be in the morning when we left the room.

However it must be said that at the date of writing this letter we have no further information than we had when we left the resort 4 days ago.

Both my wife and I understand that things go wrong, however when this many things go wrong it would seem to point to an major underlying issue.

P.s. I was not actually going to post this review but I had luckily saved it in note pad, however, 4 months on my wife chased the Sheraton up ( Scott MacDonald ) and said she still had not received any further information nor the cheque for Her dress that she was assured she would get after an investigation had been conducted.

The email she got back was short and very unconcerned, as if he has simply lost interest and verged on being flippant.

This simply just reinforced the whole saga.

As my father taught me from an early age, the measure of a person is quite simple, if you say you are going to do something then do it, if you have no intention of doing it then don't say it.

P.s. I really am looking forward to reading Scott MacDonalds response, especially after reading some of His previous responses to reviews in which after staying at the Hotel I would lean towards the reviewers point of view.

Room Tip: Don't bother they are all basically the same, more like apartments designed and built in the 70...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RDHOZ
Dear RichardOZ12345,

Thank you for the time you have taken to provide your thoughts on your recent stay with us.
Naturally I am dismayed that you have such a negative impression of our resort. I prefer to connect with you personally to address the issues you have raised.

suva
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Lost mobile phone inside the room when we were out for breakfast. The entering records showing that somebody already break into the room. But the hotel said they has no responsibility since the local police are investing. But we were waiting for 2 months. The hotel only claim that they can do nothing. If the safety you can not ersure, as a 5-star resort what you can do? Make your demand before you choose this resort!

Room Tip: Just Be Careful!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank wangjinggle
Dear wangjinggle,

I am disappointed that you didn’t enjoy your holiday with us and that there were issues which escalated resulting in you having a completely negative impression of our resort. Whilst we have made every effort to co-operate with you on these matters, I am satisfied by the thorough investigations that have now been completed. Please contact me personally to continue discussions on the matters.

Regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Just returned from a 10 day holiday with our family of 4, plus 2 other families.

Overall we loved the trip - the staff at the resort were great, food excellent and spent every day in the pool (kids loved the beach area in the pool).

Went out to Flying Fish a couple of times, the Steakhouse and the Mexican restaurant at the resorts on either side of the Sheraton - nothing but great service and good food.

The only issue is the price - I doubt I would return to Fiji based on what they charge, almost the same as if I was out in Sydney. When I compared it to other holidays in Thailand, Bali and Vietnam - all of which set the same standards of service at the major resorts, I just felt it wasn't value for money.

If planning a holiday to Denarau Island (as the food / drink prices are the same at most resorts and the Marina), really consider the fact that you will be paying far more than what you would in many other popular Asian destinations.

Aside from the cost however, can't fault the staff, the service or anything else there (I've read some of the comments about the birds, standard of rooms not up to scratch, etc - I think these criticisms are a bit over the top).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Xavier T
Dear Xavier T,

Bula vinaka from Sheraton Fiji Resort!

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay at Sheraton Fiji Resort and that your family loved the resort facilities and pools. Thank you also for your comments on the quality of our restaurants and the hospitality provided by our wonderful team.

Please be assured that our pricing is in line with the surrounding five star establishments in Fiji. I do hope that you will consider returning to Fiji for another memorable family holiday at Sheraton Fiji Resort.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Frequent traveller and first time travelling to Fiji. Stayed at the Sheraton Fiji Resort and I will NEVER stay there again. Second night in, we had a decent amount of money stolen from THE SAFE by whoever cleaned our room. Went to the front desk to report the theft and THEY DID NOTHING. It was THEIR staff who stole it but didn't do anything about it. Fair enough they couldn't refund the money, but ATLEAST investigate the staff who were rostered on that night - esp. our room! Started talking to another family and the same thing happened to them.

At the end, even reporting it to the police, they gave us a free meal. ONE FREE MEAL?! But the good part was when having that free meal, we were only allowed to pick selected items off the menu. Are they kidding me? Almost all our holiday money was gone and I couldn't even order a bowl of chips cause it wasn't part of the 'free meal'.

Thanks for making my first trip to Fiji memorbable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank krdecastro
Dear krdecastro,

While I appreciate the time and effort you had taken to outline details pertaining to your stay, I will continue to communicate with you privately on these issues.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Have recently returned from 7 nights at your resort. Wish I was going back tomorrow. From the minute you walk in the lobby you are made to feel welcome. The rooms we were in were spotless and always maintained by the friendly staff. The entire resort was always clean and tidy. We had dinner in both Feast and The Flying Fish and all food and service was of a very high standard. Other reviews say the cost is high but when you convert the amount to Australian dollars, the cost is reasonable and it is the same with drinks. Recommend dinner one night at the Golf Club, very nice meal and reasonably priced and also the 3 course set meal at the Westin resort one night, it was absolutely fantastic. I think this was FJ$99.00 which is about AUS $6.00. A meal like that in Australia would cost at least $150.00. Also the golf club has the cheapest beer at FJ$4.00 on tap.
Our package included buffet breakfast each morning and all the food was fantastic. Eggs cooked any way you want them in no time at all. Unlimited golf was in our package (another huge saving) and we played 3 rounds. It is a lovely well maintained course. Take heaps of balls, lots of water or just hit them straight. Base yourself here and do some day trips. We went for a trip to the waterfall. Took nearly all day but definitely worth the experience. The tour guides are all comedians and very friendly. Same with a day trip to Tavua Island. Special mention to all the staff at your resort, the Fijian people are the nicest and friendliest you would ever want to meet. Without singling out anybody, I would like to especially thank Peni and Lapeki who looked after my brother and I (and our wives) fantastically. Fair enough they were our barman at the Flying Fish bar but they were exceptional people. Always smiling and ready for a chat and a laugh. Look forward to coming back again in your off season. I think we were lucky with the weather, we only had a few showers all week but that's the chance you take going off peak.
Highly recommend your resort and Fiji to anybody. PS, say hello to Peni and Lapeki from the brothers.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Paul B
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Fiji Resort, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Paul B,

I was delighted to learn that you had a memorable stay at Sheraton Fiji Resort and I appreciate your highlight regarding our warm Fijian hospitality. I will share your positive feedback to our team to raise their spirit in always giving the best quality service to our valued guests. We look forward to welcoming you back for many more holidays at Sheraton Fiji Resort!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We had never stayed at a Sheraton properly before and thought that we would give them a go.

28 minutes to check in, longer than anywhere we had stayed before.
We started off in room 1727. Then we noticed that there was no complimentary water, no face washers or toothbrushes, which is standard in these 5 star hotels, rang reception about these items.
We had a shower to wash off the flight and stayed poolside for a couple of hours, then had dinner at mamacita ( flight attendant recommended this at the Wyndham resort) Mexican food was very good along with service.
Returned to room with loud A/C, only on low, didn't worry us to much then, didn't sleep at all with this truck(A/C) in the room, was turned off around midnight and only had fan on...next day we asked for the A/C to be fixed (630am) we rang reception around midday, was told it was looked at, we stated that it was STILL noisy and wanted the noise reduced to a hum, was told someone would be around and for us to go to lunch, 3pm rang reception to complain that it was STILL noisy, maintence man arrived said it couldn't be fixed (9hrs later) and we stated we would like to move rooms.
Moved to new room after this in 20 minutes flat. No problem with the A/C here.
New room had a free bottle of water, no soap or toothbrushes and a flower on the bed. I could not be bothered with reception again.
On day 3, we received a bottle of red and a card to say sorry for the A/C. I gave the bottle to housekeeping to see if the service would improve any. Never did, missing face washers and soap every other day and constantly ringing reception for them this time. They need to ensure that EACH room is getting the correct amount of ie: towels, soap and so forth.
Price gouge from the Sheraton Fiji, Sheraton denarau villa to the westin on all their restaurants, 20% on top of your bill. Sofitel was 15% and another hotels were less and but the best was the golf club which was peanuts.
Breakfast time at Sheraton Fiji, birds eating the breakfast from the service areas and tables constantly, so we thought we would try the westin the next day as they had netting in this area (great idea).
Flying fish is a fabulous place to eating ( very expensive for 2,around $220 aus dollars, no alcohol)
Dinner wasn't so good at the westin at Zing, mice running around if you could see as it was so dim. Sit where there are light to see your food would be better. ( if the mice don't put you off).
Different staff for different jobs, some are friendly and some don't care.

Would we stay there again, NEVER...

Room Tip: Check room first before final choice. Check a/c.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Lee B
Dear Lee B,

Greetings from Sheraton Fiji Resort.

I am dismayed that we fell short of your expectations and our own standards in the areas you have highlighted. Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced. I have personally addressed these issues with my team for discussion and immediate improvement. I do hope that you will visit us again so that we can demonstrate our true Sheraton Service and restore your faith in us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Sheraton Fiji Resort? Share your experiences!