“Another Day in Paradise” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Fiji Resort

Sheraton Fiji Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Sydney, Australia
“Another Day in Paradise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

It is like an old friend, you are warmly welcomed and treated to all the comforts of home.
This resort is like staying at 3 resorts with total access to the Westin and the Sheraton villas with their restaurants and pools. No need to carry anything but your key pass as all the food and activities can be charged back to your room. It is a great idea to get a Starwood Privalege card to us that gives you up to 50% off food an a saving on drinks when dinning at any of the restaurants. Easily saved us more than the annual cost of the card during our 10 day stay.
Another tip a local gave us is to us the West bus to get to the Port or Nadi. Only a $F1 per trip and much cheaper than the blue Bula bus.

Fiji is a great couples or family break, the Sheraton and terrifically comfortable and helpful 5 star resort.

Dinning choicers are good from fine dinning at Ports O Call to the casual swim up bar.

Com enjoy and relax.

For a great room go for an Ocean front suite. Worth the extra for the space and the absolute ocean view uninterupted by anything but Palm trees.

Room Tip: Ocean Front Suite is worth the cost. Rooms with an Westerly facing aspect had a great cooling breeze...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Gtrain217
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Fiji Resort, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Gtrain217,

Thank you for your positive review. It is wonderful that you found our rooms spacious with great ocean views, and you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. On behalf of the Sheraton team, we are already looking forward to welcoming you back soon to create another memorable holiday for you!

Scott MacDonald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed here in May for work and conference. I knew from the very indifferent, unfriendly checkin that this was going to be an interesting stay.
The Sheraton is not a bad hotel, but the attention to detail seems to be lacking.
Whilst my room was clean and tidy, I was somewhat disappointed by the cranking old air con and the exterior tidiness. I had the same bits of rubbish outside the room for 3 days.
The breakfasts were the saving grace with lots of good food on offer and the beach bar has great atmosphere.
I am sure this would be ok for families, but definitely would recommend spending a few extra dollars on the Westin at the other end of the Sheraton complex.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank thebigcutz
Dear thebigcutz,

I am disappointed that we fell short of your expectations and our own standards in the areas you have highlighted. Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced. I have personally addressed these issues with my team for discussion and immediate improvement. We would love the opportunity to welcome you back again to restore your faith in us. Please contact me via email at scott.macdonald@sheraton.com so that I can personally oversee your future bookings at Sheraton Fiji Resort.

Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

From the moment we checked in, to the moment we departed, we became second rate citizens at the Sharaton Denarau.

At check-in we queued, and after 10 minutes were finally greeted by a smiling trainee who seemed to struggle with finding our reservations, but finally was able to inform us that the two rooms were "King Bed" rooms. Our two families - each consisting of two adults and two children - were supposed to be in studio rooms, supposedly equipped with a queen and two singles. Nope. King Rooms for us. Like a scene out of Fawlty Towers I explained to the check-in girl "2 adults, 2 children, need more than one bed please!" - but this merely solicited a smile and the comment "King bed is a very big bed - good enough for 2 adults and 2 children". A full fifteen minutes (and several Basil Fawlty impressions) later, we finally met the Front Desk Manager who chased away the trainee and seemed to correct the problem. We were shown to our rooms, although were advised that one room would be "made up in 15 to 30 minutes - yes, 30 minutes at latest". Two hours later, we were finally provided with the room key to that second room.

The following morning we woke to discover that the toilet wouldn't flush. In fact, the shower wouldn't run, and it became obvious that the whole wing had no water (our friends in that second room discovered the same thing). Reception informed us that it would be "fixed shortly", but several calls later we were informed that water for the whole resort would be off until 10pm that night. No showers, no toilets - although the toilets in the main block would flush as they had made provisions for this planned outage (but simply failed to inform guests).

Breakfast at Feast made us realize that we got a B&B deal cheap for a good reason. Eggs partially cooked, toasters that didn't function, bacon a rarity, and waitstaff too busy chatting amongst themselves to worry about seating the patrons or clearing the tables. This was a recurring theme at Feast each morning, and we noticed that "smiles" were strictly optional amongst staff. Who can blame them though: dirty floors and tables with dirty plates is hardly a good place to work; at least the guests get to leave, right?

Activity: Beach Hut to do handline fishing. Scheduled for 1pm, yet when we arrive - with four keen kids in tow - we are informed by a guitar-strumming employee that "not today". No reason given - just "not today". We did, however, go back the following day - and only after a 45 minute search for a key (to unlock said handlines from the room in which they were kept) were we finally walking to the beach to do some fishing. Luckily our kids have no sense of fear, for we were escorted down onto the rocks for our 60 minutes of fishing, avoiding incoming waves, and rescuing kids who were constantly cutting themselves on the rocks. Nice one Sheraton!

Flying Fish restaurant bears no (absolutely none!) similarities to the restaurant of the same name in Sydney. The Fiji version is a beach bar with beach bar food, so do not (NOT) expect anything greater than that. I had read reviews (here) that it was good, but clearly those people also thought a good meal always included fries or could be easily super-sized. No. Flying Fish Fiji is a beach bar people. That said, service was "amusing". My wife's attempt to order a "pumpkin and ricotta salad" turned into a running comedy, with the meal being returned no less than three times as both vital ingredients (pumpkin and ricotta) failed to show on the plate together at any point in time. In the end the Restaurant Manager intimated that it was a "communication error" (which apparently was our fault!) as to why the salad had assumed a degree of difficulty higher than a Greg Louganis dive.

Awful service aside, Sheraton Fiji does have something good going for it. It is located next to the Westin, which has superior restaurants and bars, and where the staff attitude is noticeably better (for some odd reason, as both are meant to be Starwood hotels). I guess its a "get what you pay for" thing: go cheap go Sheraton - and get your just deserts right.

We did manage to speak with the manager about some of the problems (and other problems, like the fact that our TV had to be replaced three times before it would work), but were given the usual "we never hear bad things about our hotel - it must therefore be you" brush off. On return home I have received a similar response from Starwood Preferred Guest, and my Star Privilege customer service officer: so I am just assuming that everyone knows that Sheraton Fiji is 3 stars at best. Some may differ in opinion, but don't say you weren't warned. Based on this and our previous two stays at Denarau, I would opt to stay at the Hilton, and eat at the Hilton and the Westin. Avoid Sheraton at all costs.

Room Tip: Some rooms - like ours in the "700" series - are a long, long walk from the main building...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Sydneytown
Dear Sydneytown,

I am truly sorry to hear that your holiday did not go as expected. As a valued guest, I respect your comments and appreciate that you took the time to share them with us. Please be assured that your experience does not represent our usual high service standards, and our team will use these isolated incidents in a positive way to better the service for our future guests.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband & I arrived at the Sheraton Denarau Fiji on Thursday 29th May 2014 to enjoy our friend's wedding on the beach the following day,where my husband was apart of the bridal party.
The wedding was AMAZING and everyone had such a fantastic time. The food was beautiful, the staff so friendly and attentive, and the whole night could not have been more perfect.

I was 33 weeks pregnant & looking forward to spending the following four days with my husband as our "baby-moon' before traveling back home to Sydney. Our baby had other ideas...
To put a long story short, I went into pre-mature labor at 6pm on Saturday night... The labor was VERY QUICK and UNEXPECTED. This being our first pregnancy, we really didn't know what to do. The staff at the Sheraton organized a taxi for us with much haste, and subsequently our beautiful baby girl Maddison Jayne Cazna Wren was born in the back of the taxi just 1 hour & 45 minutes after the labor started. We only just made it to the front of Nadi hospital
The staff at the Sheraton brought us clothes for our baby (as we had nothing to give her) and food, water, bed sheets & so many other items of need. One of the staff came to the hospital on her day off the following day to it with me for three hours & make sure the baby & myself were ok. They have gone above & beyond to be of help to us during and after our stay with them. We are so thankful & grateful for everything they have done for us & we will definitely be coming back to stay under other circumstances.

Room Tip: We had a beautiful room over looking the ocean
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jay A
Dear Jay A,

Congratulations on the arrival of your baby, and we trust that mother and baby are well. Thank you for your praise of our wonderful team. We were pleased to be able to help in the unusual circumstances that you found yourselves in, and I do hope that in the future you return, for a more relaxing holiday!

Wishing you all the best for the future,

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Just got married at the Sheraton hotel on Sunday! We still have a couple of days here but I just can't wait to give a review!!! The people here are so friendly and wonderful! (Big thanks to the two wedding planner Lynette and Mirima)They are on "Fiji time" with some of the stuff but while you are in holiday... What's the rush :p

I have mix feeling coming into the hotel with some interesting review, but until you try it yourself, don't believe everything :D for my wedding, they are so helpful! All the guests that are staying at the hotel loved it as well. Nothing to complain about if you don't sweat the small stuff!!

I haven't got the bill yet, so I don't know will I get a big surprise there, as things can be a bit expensive. But apart from that, it's really a wonderful resort to stay at!! Might leave another review when I get the bill :p

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Emily N,

Congratulations on your nuptials. Our team were honored to have played a small role in a very important time of your life together as a new couple and I am thrilled to know that your wedding day was perfect. I will be sure to share your positive feedback with Lynette and Mirima, our wonderful wedding planners!

We look forward to welcoming you back to celebrate many more special occasions with you.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

As a couple, we found it confronting to have more young children than adults around, but, for the most part, there is room for everyone. There is a separate Adults Only pool, which is actively watched to keep the kids at bay. It is a beautiful, quiet spot to relax, read & just chill, which was the purpose of the trip. Being able to utilise all the Starwood properties which are next door to each other & just charge back to your room was also great. We loved Zing restaurant at the Westin, as well as having many meals at Flying Fish at the Sheraton. As a 4 star hotel, it's great, as a 5 star hotel it's pretty good. The staff though are lovely, very helpful & try hard. It is an island & not a major international city, so maybe we need to remember why we wanted to come here when some of the little things annoy us. Would we come back - yes - happily. Bula

Room Tip: We had an ocean room - top floor, beautiful views, nice to have the privacy upstairs affords you. Lo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
mrsbad_62,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent holiday experience at Sheraton Fiji Resort.
I am pleased to know that you were able to make good use of the restaurants and facilities across our Starwood Fiji complex and that you had a relaxing and renewing stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Fiji!

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here in March 2014 as part of our honeymoon. It was beautiful! Could not complain about a single thing. Unfortunately whilst I was there I cut my foot on some decking but the staff were very good and got a first aid kit and patched me back up again. And the decking was fixed very quickly. They were very apologetic. The food was amazing, the staff were always friendly and happy to help. The rooms had everything you needed and were cleaned daily. We stayed in a ocean view room and it was huge! Plenty space for us and our massive suitcases. It was great that you could use the facilities in the other hotels, if you could tear yourself away from the beautiful views long enough. We went to a variety of restaurants at the other hotels and they were always excellent. The pools are great, especially the one with the swim up bar....pure bliss! If you are looking for somewhere to relax for a couple of weeks but have first class service as soon as you require it then this is the place. If Fiji wasn't so far away from Scotland we would be back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jen6552
Dear Jen6552,

Bula from Sheraton Fiji Resort!

I am pleased that you had a wonderful and memorable holiday and thank you for your gracious comments on our resort facilities and services.

It is most pleasing to learn that our team has taken good care of you, although I was sorry to learn that you cut yourself on the decking. Our maintenance team have since inspected the deck.

Thank you for visiting us all the way from Scotland, and I hope you had a safe trip home.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,314 reviews

Been to Sheraton Fiji Resort? Share your experiences!