“Everything great after the check in!”

Sheraton Fiji Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
“Everything great after the check in!”
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Arrived to sheraton with 4 other couples and an infant - after waiting at reception for an hour for the man to try and check us in he then rang reservations and they asked to speak to me. On the phone the reservations lady told me that they are heavily booked and asked if we would like to stay at the Sheraton villas - after declining this offer they told us to com back in an hours time and hopefully they will have rooms ready for us. We returned an hour later and still no rooms!

After finally receiving our keys we were very very happy with the rooms - big space, bathrooms were modern and beautiful.

Service in restaurants and around the pool was slow but that is Fiji time for you!

Great resort though and would probably return!

• Stayed August 2014
ScottJMacDonald, Manager at Sheraton Fiji Resort, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Sta03y,

We truly appreciate your open and honest feedback about your experience at our resort during your stay. Your experience has been shared with the team and has given us an opportunity to fine tune our service and hospitality for the enjoyment of our future guests. I am pleased to read that you did enjoy our spacious and comfortable rooms and I hope that overall you had a great holiday with us.

Kind regards,
Scott MacDonald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Auckland
Reviewed 22 August 2014

we have stayed at the Sheraton hotel for many years .. the refurbishment is excellent, the staff always remember us, Tui and his porters are always attentive and friendly.

As a golfer there are times that your agent will be able to offer you unlimited golf if you stay at the Sheraton Fiji ( who own the course ) - this is a great attraction for golfers.

Altogether we could not suggest a better hotel on the island altho i guess some of the new ones are also well spoken of.

One thing that i believe at Denarau that could be improved on is the Bula Bus ...

In days gone by the Bula Bus was compllmentary around the resort, two hotels only at that time. I can appreciate that a charge should be made now more travel involved.

However if you only wish to have one particular ride with your wife to say the Marine Village from Sheraton Fiji or any hotel for a meal it will cost you $8 each ( $16 ) .... four minute ride
( 15 minute walk ) $8 will also by you a one day pass and $24 a four day pass. I believe there should be a one ride charge.

There is an alternative however.

The yellow West Bus passes by all the resorts on a regular basis and also to the Marine Village. Two persons can ride on the West Bus for $2.50. or $1.25. each from say the Sheraton Fiji to the Marine Village. This equates to $5 return transport if you take the West Bus against $32 return if you take the Bula Bus Wow !! is that a good tip or what ?

Room Tip: Our favourite rooms are ocean front ..cost a little extra but well worth it ..this time we are in 15...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear vaimaanga

You already form part of the Sheraton Family and you know that your satisfaction and well-being are of most importance to us. We are glad that we once again met all your expectations and you had an enjoyable holiday.

You have certainly seen a lot of change and development on Denarau in the years you have been visiting, and it continues to add value and enjoyment to our new and returning guests. Many guests enjoy the Bula Bus service provided around Denarau, which has expanded in recent years and has different pricing to suit guests needs. At Sheraton Fiji Resort, we provide a complimentary bula bus service within our complex from 3pm daily, including the Westin, Sheraton and Golf Course as a convenient way to travel.

Thank you for your recommendation of our resort and for recognising the outstanding service provided by Tui and the porters team. We are already looking forward to giving you another warm welcome soon.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 21 August 2014

On 13 August, 2014, two families of four travelled to Fiji for a relaxing and fun holiday. We were not disappointed! Both of our families included four children (two 7 yr olds, two 4 year olds). I will admit I was apprehensive about staying at the Sheraton due to reading a handful of awful reviews on trip advisor and this was our first family holiday overseas so I wanted it to go well. I am a cautious traveller and I like to be prepared for anything. There was no need to worry. Less than half an hour in airconditioned comfort organised by by our agents from myholiday centre.com.au/MY FIJI. Our room was clean and spacious. Check in was fast and easy. The staff were friendly and helpful. The food was expensive but delicious. We caught the Bula Bus to Port Denarau and ate out a few times. Over the seven days, we did not go over our FJD$1000 resort credit by very much. The pools were cold but the kids didn't mind too much, especially on a hot day without a breeze. It was a real treat to use the facilities at all three hotels, including the Westin and Sheraton Denarau Villas. The Wet Edge restaurant had the most gorgeous view of the sun setting while we enjoyed cocktails and a delicious meal. One day of complimentary WiFi and then it could be accessed for free in the Feast restaurant. We did not use the Kids Club but I observed staff interacting in a calm, gentle way with the children in their care. There were plenty of paths for scooters and long walks with gorgeous views. We bought our bottled water at the little grocery store just outside the entrance of the Sheraton resort. Our friends preferred the tap water in their hotel room. None of us were ever sick with food poisoning or any other illness. The dessert table at the Feast restaurant was scrumptious. Breakfast was included. It was a busy time in the restaurant but we always enjoyed a hot pot of tea and lots of fresh fruit, yummy made to order omlettes and hot pancakes. The beach outside the resort provided our children with many fun times jumping in the waves and feeding the fish. They did not care that the sand was not white and the water was not clear. A little tip; we went on a South Sea cruise to an island in the afternoon (11:30-6:30pm) and there was a strong breeze that day. The ocean was very rough so we couldn't snorkel, the boat ride was bumpy and the children were ready to leave the small island long before the scheduled pick up. I would probably recommend it for adults or older children. It was a long day that involved lots of waiting around and little to do for the kids. I would highly recommend the Sheraton resort. We have so many happy memories and 400 photos! Thank you to the Sheraton staff for their friendly smiles and efficient service...summed up on the last day when a staff member (Meleoni) insisted that we were picked up from our room by buggy and taken to reception so the kids could enjoy a ride one last time. Definitely a fantastic, stress free holiday for families. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Our ground floor Ocean Breeze twin room was quiet. Lovely grassed are for kids to run around and par...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank N S
Dear N S,

Thank you for your positive review regarding all aspects of our resort. I am delighted that our resort, services and hospitality has met your expectations and I hope you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Fiji!

Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I booked this hotel for us and 2 other couples. Upon check in they had me also staying in one f my friends room...so we cleared up that funny little error but was perplexed when they kept asking me how much I paid online since I know I had prepaid all as not to have our cards maxed out on the trip to Fiji and Australia for 2 weeks. Our suite in the 1800 block was great, stunning water views and nice little porch 30 feet from the sand. Room was large and very comfy with those great Sheraton beds and super cold AC. The food at the buffets was always plentiful with many options for tourists of all sorts like miso soup for breakfast! The staff are so very friendly and smiling and insistent to help and provide answers even if they are wrong ....
We toured other islands and bounced around the little Nadi village while our other friends did the spa and golfed even splurged on room service a few meals($120 for breakfast in bed! )

On a particularly busy day I got a few msgs that I should go to the front desk I did the next day after seeing off a few friends off who left early. My card was over it limit and would I please pay now? Huh I prepaid the rooms and only ate one meal for $100 and had another $60 bar tab
They showed me a mountain of charges for the spa and room service and golf.....it was agonizing to have to straighten this out and frankly in the end I was still charged for my friends items and my room rate was more than I was supposed to have prepaid. The desk clerks were nice but not able to explain or separate my charges from the other room they had attached me to. Lots of blank stares and answers that when I broke them down didn't make sense to anyone....more blank stares and smiles. So I left Fiji having overpaid and my card maxed out but at least had the warm and fuzzies...Bula?

Room Tip: 2 or 3 blocks to either side of the pool otherwise it's a long walki
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Squirl66,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay.
I am very disappointed to read of your experience particularly regarding the problems you encountered with the billing. Please email our accounts department to ensure these issues are resolved. I regret the challenges you encountered and will be sharing your useful feedback with the team.

sydney
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Having visited this hotel for over the past 5 years and being a Sheraton Gold Member our visit in July 2014 left me feeling that many things have changed in the hotel and not for the better. It is still a great hotel but I noticed when speaking to the usual staff I have spoken to over the last 5 years there happiness was not as apparant as in previous years. The hotel has gone cashless in the bar and pool areas since the last visit (this I was told due to a senior employee from Australia changing the rules about only able to put your drinks on the room account. This I find very unfair to the great staff that do a wonderful service around the pool areas not being tipped as a reward for their good service. Whilst I undersand that the tips are probably pooled together and distributed evenly throughout the staff at the resort, I still prefer to give a cash tip which is still allowed, however I think that by signing to your room then more and more people don't bother to tip to the staff. I would asked to to a breakfast survey whilst having breakfast, which was in the past one of the best buffet breakfast I have had, I felt this time the bacon and the sausages were actually horrible (and the variety of fruit offered was not as good as usual). The other thing missing at breakfast was the lovely way the staff used to sign happy birthday and goodbye to people in the Fijian language was also so beautiful to hear and it is a shame the resort has become so commercialized that this does not happen any more. Lastly a big hello to Villa in the the Wet Edge bar if you had more employees like him you would be a lucky hotel.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sydneyskye

Thank you for staying at Sheraton Fiji Resort. We appreciate the insight you have provided from your stay, which we will use as part of our ongoing effort to enhance our facilities and services.

Please be advised that our cashless system is necessary to our changing needs of our business and that our associates gratefully receive cash tips at times, though this is not customary nor expected in Fiji.

I do hope you had an enjoyable holiday and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Fiji.

Scott MacDonald

Thank you for recommending us and we hope for the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Newcastle, AUS
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My stay was in July nice location right on the ocean with the golf course directly across the road from the resort (open house bar and food at golf course at really good prices - pepsi same price as a beer!!). Relaxed setting all round i was here this time on a work conference but do plan on bringing my young famly (3yo and 6mths) and a family trip for around 5 days.
Resort has a lot in the way of great pool bars and a few shops on site with all essentials - alcohol snacks even a NZ ice cream outlet, atm and duty free shop.
Just make sure when booking you get a room in the front couple of buoldings of the resort as some of the buildings are a bit from the waters edge. Front buildings are angled so you have a view of the water.
Thenresort itself is not really close to any major hub but the BULA bus does round trips to the marina and other reorts for a small fee - tickets purchased from resort shop. Walk to marina is only about 20 mins all flat and quite nice and relaxing.
There was a really cool 'inflatable water park' across the road as well that looked like hours of fun for little kids and big kids together!!
In summary great place for a relaxing trip away with the family at relatively low cost especially with flight costs low at the moment - i would suggest going out of school holidays (australian) if you can as this is the majority make up of visitors by far.

Room Tip: Go for a building close to the water some rooms that are closer to the road are a 100-200m from the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Zammit,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a favourable review on TripAdvisor. It is pleasing to learn that our resort services and facilities has lived up to your expectation and that you had a wonderful, relaxing holiday!

SouthIsland
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Having ordered an expensive meal which was tasty, I go to pay to be confronted by an additional 20% on top of the already expensive meal. When I queried this with the staff, they showed me the menu which included very small print at the bottom stating the additional 20%. Why this wasn't included and or made more obvious is disgusting and quite frankly very deceitful of the Sheraton. Any company that employees this type of policy must not be endorsed.

Sheraton, to say that I'm EXTREMELY disappointed in your company is a gross understatement. I enjoyed a very nice meal, which was turned very sour by your policy. I really feel for the staff, who have been in the firing line before.
At least the Hilton and other resorts at Denaru have all inclusive prices and are not deceitful.

• Stayed August 2014
5 Thank NewZealandAmbassador
Dear NewZealandAmbassador

Greetings from Sheraton Fiji Resort. I appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback.

With regards to our food and beverage prices, please know that our pricing is in line with surrounding five star establishments for quality food and beverage. We choose to display the Fiji Government hotel services tax separately to our food and beverage costs. I do hope that these concerns did not make your stay less enjoyable.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Sheraton Fiji Resort? Share your experiences!